• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your overall thoughts about SSB4's Main Theme so far

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I swear, when there is a launch trailer, they better play the theme, and end it with "SUUPER SMAAAAAAAAASH BROOOOOTHEEEEEEERS!!!!"

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
I like it. I think I prefer Melee's music overall to Brawl's, since it felt more energise, but this new one seems pretty fun.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Brawl's music was freaking amazing aside from completely ruining Stickerbrush Symphony

I hope SSB4's is even better.

As far as themes.. I just don't know. Brawl's was too good. Melee's is so memorable. 64's was good. New one is pretty sweet.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I also have the fan who won that contest words in my head for the new song a lot of times. "Put me in the game, in the game, in the game!"

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I was always a fan of the theme when they showed it off back in E3 2013, but I'm in love with how it sounds now. The epic intro especially.

I think this theme does a better job of feeling like a game with nintendo characters in it. The previous themes weren't bad, in fact they were amazing as well. However, melee and brawl didn't really sound nintendo-y.

I'm really looking forward to hearing a full clean version. <3

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
For smash 4's opening I had 2 wishes.

1.Please don't make another opera
2.Shout SUPER SMAAAAAAAAASH BROTHEEEERRRRSSSSS at the end

What I really like about Smash 4's opening is how the leading horns create an easy to point out melody, with the other 3 games all the noise just blends together. Thank god they didn't include any vocals in this one, brawls theme was bad, but the opera singers murdered it, I just can't appreciate any classical music. Melee's theme was similar to brawls, its just that the vocals only appear briefly in the beginning. The N64 theme sounded like background generic techno that would be used in a chase scene. But the ending where the announcer shouts the title saves it

I wish they'd stop trying to make overly epic music for a cartoony game like smash.
That being said, I don't think I'd mind hearing this theme remixed for the menu and final destination, its just catchy.
While I agree with you that Brawl's theme was terrible and that the voices killed it, that bolded statement right there makes me lose all credibility in your ability to judge music. You realize without classical music, you wouldn't have the "horns creating an easy to point out melody" like you mentioned, right?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Liked Brawl's theme at first until it was EVERYWHERE, especially that one part that they play over and over during Stage Builder, Masterpieces, the Trophy Room, etc.

This theme, however, I can't really remember all that well. Hopefully it grows on me.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
While I agree with you that Brawl's theme was terrible and that the voices killed it, that bolded statement right there makes me lose all credibility in your ability to judge music. You realize without classical music, you wouldn't have the "horns creating an easy to point out melody" like you mentioned, right?
I'm just glad that the theme is jazz instead of classical.

Last edited:

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Jazz? It isn't jazz at all. If anything, it's purely classical with a disco-like drum groove in the back.
It isn't very jazz, but I think it could still be in that catagory. If any theme is actually jazz, however, it's definitely Smash 64.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I really enjoyed the SSB4 theme... it seems a bit more whimsical and less hardcore than Brawl (Ironic, huh?).

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I think they all sound great, but here's my order:
Smash Bros 4
Melee/Brawl

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Brawl's music was freaking amazing aside from completely ruining Stickerbrush Symphony

I hope SSB4's is even better.

As far as themes.. I just don't know. Brawl's was too good. Melee's is so memorable. 64's was good. New one is pretty sweet.
Brawl Stickerbrush Symphony was amazing :I

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Brawl Stickerbrush Symphony was amazing :I
As a solo song I think it's okay.

As a version of totes the best Donkey Kong song ever.. Ruined imo. Tropical Freeze's was better, but still not as good as DKC2's. And I prefer Tropical Freeze as a game over DKC2 so it's not that bias either

icekirbyixi

Smash Rookie
NNID
IceKirbyiXi
3DS FC
1203-9219-5396
I would say I'm super impressed with the arrangement. It's fresh and exciting and also memorable. I don't wanna say I can rate Smash Bros. 4's soundtrack yet because I haven't heard all of it. But based off JUST the main theme here's my order from favorite to least favorite:

Melee
Smash 4
Brawl

:3

Hong

The Strongest
Overall:
SSB4>Melee>64>Brawl

That said, they have different areas of specialization. I like the new theme in that it is very triumphant and energetic, without sounding too much like something is immediately happening. It sounds like any character you pick can be a champion. It will be great for the menus, looking at trophies and stuff, and will get you hyped like the alternative menu theme for Melee.

That said, Melee's theme works really well for cinematics with all the different emotions and segments it combines. Brawl's theme in my opinion just doesn't work as well when it's adapted to different forms. It was great for the first trailer and the ending credits, but that was it. Not crazy about the menu music and stuff.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Brawl was ridiculously memorable and it had that war feel to it. It made you feel like you were getting ready for an actual brawl and it was amazing. The lyrics gave Brawl feeling. The lack of knowledge as to what the lyrics say is a bit sad however.

Melee's theme was nice, fitting, and epic. But it did not pump me up as much as Brawl's did.

SSB64 was a classic. Not much more to say.

NOW SMASH BROS' 4 THEME. THAT'S MY FAVORITE BECAUSE THE SONG IS HYPE ALL ON IT'S OWN.

That is all. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Please like, comment, and subscribe.

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
Absolutely love the theme. Can't wait to hear the final version in-game. Still, I think a theme is only as good as the opening intro it is tied to. Melee's intro is hype and so is the musical theme. Brawl's theme is magnificent but the intro video is severely lacking.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I like the waiting room music in the 3ds version. Its pretty much what you'd expect it to be. Its the same variation as Brawls waiting room music just Smash 4's main theme.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I don't wanna dislike anything Smash related but, I am disappointed with this theme.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Soo much Brawl theme hate....Going Simple.
Brawl has to be most epic feel to the game, like a intense fight. Of the 100 version the final destination one is the best of the best.
Melee to me is just to old for me and very...meh not very hype is just speed...
64 I can't even tell...

Smash 4 in another hand is full of hype! The best version I hear is the one in the character screen of the Demo. IS sound hype to fight your oppenent and choose the most badass character. I think this one may be my favorate!

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I feel like Brawl's was too grandiose for it's own good. I loved it, but man, it sure seemed like the end all be all Smash theme.

This new one kind of takes it back to fun. Like the N64 game felt.

Zango

Smash Apprentice
I like it.

That's about it though; it doesn't really sound as impressive as previous themes have been. It's still a very good song, but it leaves that feeling of awe that the other themes inspire out for me.

EDIT: I do like the bits where it goes to remixes of the older theme a couple minutes in. Thought that was cool.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
My favorite main Smash theme?

Credits, from Brawl. It took the best pieces of 64, Melee and Brawl and made them mesh beautifully.

It's even better when watching the montage of clips that show up with it when you beat the game, and then it shows the trophy stand at the end with the small fanfare.

So for me it's Brawl Credits > SSB4 = Melee > Brawl = 64

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm praying that this theme isn't used for damn near everything. How many times did Brawl use the main theme?
I actually counted this with my friends one day when we got sick of hearing it. So we went to the sound test, and identified, if my memory serves me correctly, somewhere around 25-30 variations of the theme.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
I just thought I should post this, it's the cleanest rip I could find of the menu theme for SSB4. Taken from the digital event, apparently.
I think it sounds absolutely wonderful for a remix of the main theme, and it's definitely like Melee's theme where I won't get tired of hearing it anytime soon. I especially love the section right before it (presumably) loops.

Perhaps people can listen to this, and think of how'd they feel to hear this every time they're in the menu in the 3DS version.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I must say while I really like Brawl's theme, Melee's Opening theme (especially the whole Smashing...Live! soundtrack) is amazing

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
As for the main themes, Smash 4 is my second favorite, my third favorite is 64's opening and my least is Brawl's.

The number one spot is a three-way tie between 3 songs:

1) 64's credits theme

2) Melee's opening

3) the SSE credits, now that my buddy @ Shin F. Shin F. brought it back to my memory

I can't choose a favorite over any of them but who knows? Maybe Smash 4's theme will have a variation I'll love the hell out of as much as or more than those three.

I can't wait to find out.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I love all the themes, but I must say that Smash 4's is looking to be possibly the best.

Sure, Brawl's was huge; it was epic by every meaning of the word. However, to me, it felt like it was trying too hard to be grandiose. Because if this, it didn't really feel like Smash to the same extent that Melee's theme did. Latin choirs do not come to mind when I think of Super Smash Bros, simply because it doesn't bring Nintendo to mind. Smash is, after all, a celebration of Nintendo, so it needs a theme that goes hand in hand with all of Nintendo.

This new theme, however, fits Nintendo like a glove. Sure, it isn't as big or cinematic as Brawl's was, but it doesn't need to be. It is catchy in similar way to Melee's theme, and it really gets me pumped up for an awesome battle between Nintendo's characters - and that's all it needs, if you ask me. I think its the perfect theme.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Overall, the theme is it's own (for the most part). It has familiarity with previous Smash Bros games, but not enough to be too similar to one of them. Still, I think Melee is best. The pace of the composing track and video is still epic, even when it's not trying. Brawl was good...on the initial announcement of it. Otherwise, it got old pretty fast (trying to press the start button every time the disc loads up; wasn't in the mood of rehash scenes that we already know and don't care for) and it was literally the theme for multiple parts of the game (of course, Boss Battle 1 was ok.). It was trying too hard to be epic when it knew it was epic to begin with. 64 is so-so but the last part of that track is clearly epic with the announcer.

But yeah, SSB4 is looking fine to me. It's not trying to copy Brawl's "epic and dramatic" tone, so it's on the right track.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I think the theme is brilliant. The piano theme in the OP doesn't quite do it justice. :)

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I like the theme but I'm already getting a little tired of hearing the same part over and over and not the complete song. Brawl was my fav theme of the past games but it was in far too many places. Melee's opening was the best but the actual theme wasn't that memorable to me.

WillisTron

Smash Rookie
I am obviously talking about the track that it can be listened during the first trailer.

Here's a freaking awesome piano version of it without special effects' sounds. :

If you would make a ranking of all the 4 main themes from the Smash Bros. series, in which place would you put Sm4sh's one ?

For my part, even if I'm aware that it is not the complete version, I already put it at the same level as Melee's one, which is already put over 64's one and Brawl's one by my preferences.

And yup, Brawl's is my least favorite, even with lyrics. Sue me.
I love the new theme! I really think it strikes the perfect balance between serious-ness and light-heartedness.

Top Bottom