• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your reason for competing?

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
This question is aimmed at you tournament players. What is your drive for competitive play? Is it:

• A desire to compete against challenging fighters.
  • Fame.
  • The prizes.
  • It's fun.

Among other reasons.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
If I ever were to compete in smash, (which I'm very sure that I will someday) it would be to prove my skills for myself.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
1. The competition. It's always fun to have a really good match against someone, then chat afterwards, crack a few jokes, and then do it all over again with another person.

2. The practice. I get positive feedback on my skills, as well as tips and critique.

3. The Prizes. Well, who doesn't want prizes? :laugh:

Luckman

Smash Rookie
Same for me. In a Smash tournament I'm there to show off my skills and destroy the arrogant players that think they're the best

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
It is a desire to exceed human limitations. It is the desire to become an action star, in a very indirect way. The desire to stand toe to toe with incredible players...

For me, fighting will be a science and art, and at the same time, I will end up having my own way of fighting, even if it is not the most efficient.

Umandsf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Umandsf
3DS FC
3927-0812-7458
Switch FC
SW-0595-8375-5017
I haven't gone to any tournaments, but if I do, it'll be mostly to see just how bad I really am, see how I need to improve myself, and to have fun and maybe make a few friends.

S623

Smash Apprentice
All of the above.

It'd be nice to walk into a tournament and have people know who you are. And that means that it's more likely that people will challenge you to think that they can beat you. You can get helpful advice and give helpful advice. You will never get worse. You can only improve if you stay consistent.

The money is just a bonus. XD

Forget Me Not

Smash Apprentice
I fight for love ;)

Everytime I hear someone ask "Why do you fight(Play this game)?" I always see this in my head.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
1 and 4

1 - Constantly looking for ways to improve my game -- playing a variety of good fighters is worth this.

4 - Smash is fun. Woohoo!

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
i went to my first tourney (BOMB2) KNOWING i was going to win, just like every garbage newb. after getting DESTROYED i realized how much fun they were and never looked bak lol. so it started as a good way to just get free money and turned into forgetting we play for a pot, im always a few spots away n e ways lol.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Smash is fun, that is a reason enough to play.

Same with other games...

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
I know this is directed towards massive tournament players, but I'd like to give perspective to the local tournament scene. My University has a Smash Federation that hosts tournaments very regularly.

I've competed in every one since I started here in August and I'd say I compete because it is a lot of fun to get a bunch of people together and just smash. But a lot of the players here are good by local standards and its nice to see how I stack up as well as train to get better. So to improve my game as well. If I had the time to invest into going to a tournament or two, I'd love it for the experience.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I think people compete in Smash Bros for the same reason they compete in anything else:
to prove to others and themselves how good they are at the game
to win, because winning feels good
to lose sometimes, because losing teaches you a lot
to have fun

Basically, most people would say choices 1 and 4.

Ichida

Smash Ace
  • A desire to compete against challenging fighters.
  • Fame.
  • The prizes.
  • It's fun.
This. Prizes not as much as the rest, though it's still nice to take home a reward for my efforts. I'm more into the thrill of combat and the titles. I'm what Madarame Ikkaku has been called - a battle enthusiast. :D

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
1 and 4

1 - Constantly looking for ways to improve my game -- playing a variety of good fighters is worth this.

4 - Smash is fun. Woohoo!
That, plus I have an intense drive to compete in Smash...don't know quite what it is. When hosting I will bend/break/disregard tourney rules just to get people in the door so I can crush them.

Blue Luigi FTW.

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
While I've never been to any smash tournies, I do attend tournaments for some other things. The main reason I go is to compete, I have the most fun by testing my skills against other good players and having some really good matches. That and the tournament experience can be really fun and you can meet some new people to talk to about them.

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
I've only been to one tournament so far, and it was mostly for fun. I didn't really care about the prizes or fame (I hadn't really been a part of the smash community yet), but I also enjoyed seeing how stronger players played. It was a great learning experience for me.

Ti11erTheKi11er

Smash Apprentice
I have always been competitive in all games but smash brings it to a whole nother level!

IDK but it just is so intense i love it! and i always want to be the best of course! :) but being and becoming are to whole different things

Izaw

Smash Ace
:/... To get something out of your skills... money, fame, a new gang with smashers that wants you to play with them. Doesnt matter, just so that i get something out of it :p

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
its cash man, thats a good reason.

but my personal reason to network within the community. knowing people leads to a better result.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I like playing competitively because it's fun. It's always a challenge, so it's always entertaining.

The other stuff's nice though.

Saje

Smash Cadet
I simply love this game. Since Smash 64, I've loved alternating between beating the crap out of my friends and them beating the crap out of me. It's just an insanely fun to me. Eventually I discovered the tournament scene and in doing so found another venue by which to locate intense, fun matches.

Luz

Smash Apprentice
Recognition that I am good in something in this world. Although I'm starting to doubt that XD

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
It's fun. At least that would be if I had the means to compete. Alas no great smash players live in my area and I can't afford to travel very far.

Olaf

Smash Cadet
1, 2, and 4.
prizes are nice, but its not what im after.
i had little-to-no notoriety in melee, and this time around, especially with online play, my mission is to make a name for myself.
im also in it to fight better people to get better, cuz im a competitive ***.
and, its fun. some of my favorite moments in my life are close, tough matches in fighting games. gets the blood pumping.

Top Bottom