• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Zelda Art Thread

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I saw Spire's art thread, but that wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I'm sure many of us have come across some really great Zelda artwork, and this is the thread to share it in. Please post thumbnails if possible, to avoid stretching the page. I'll start with two of my favorites:

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah right after I made my art thread, I got hung up with a lot of things which has prevented me from resuming work on that project. Glad you made this Jam :)

And sheesh, that watercolor of Marin is gorgeous. That is singlehandedly one of the best pieces of Zelda art I've ever seen.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Doesn't Vaati have some kind of huge eyeball form?
Btw who's the guy way down at the buttom across from Dark Link? And the sage in the middle? (I'm guessing he's standing in as the sage of light for Zelda, since she's busy posing somewhere else on the artwork).

Spire

III
BRoomer
I typed up who's who:

God Tier
Farore, Nayru, Din

Sage Tier
Kaepora Gaebora/Rauru, Impa, Saria, King of Hyrule, Nabooru, Ruto, Darunia

Triforce Tier
Link, Zelda, Ganondorf

Spirit Tier (clockwise from Deku Tree)
The Great Deku Tree, Fado, Fairy Queen, Great Fairy (WW), The Windfish, Great Fairy (TP), Ciela, Navi, Skyward Sword, Tatl, Tael, Great Fairy (OoT/MM), Valoo, Jabun, Laruto, Medli, Makar, Deku Tree Sprout

Allies Tier
Row A) Renado, Rusl, Ashei, Shad, Auru, Link's Uncle, Marin, Ilia, Epona, Talon, Ingo
Row B) Anju, Kafei, Cremia, Linebeck, Aryll, Niko, Gonzo, Mako, Senza, Zuko, Nudge, Link's Grandma
Row C) Tijo, Evan, Tingle, Toto, Lulu, Romani, Ralph, Syrup, Darmani
Row D) Japas, Mikau, Skull Kid, Deku King, Deku Butler's Son, Deku Princess, Deku Butler, Mido, Goron Elder, Goron Elder's Son

Guardians Tier
The King of Red Lions, Byrne, Anjean, Midna, Oshus, Sahasrahla, Ezlo

Villains Tier
Row A) Happy Mask Salesman, Bellum
Row B) Veran, Zant, Agahnim, Vaati, Onox
Row C) Giants, Koume, Moon Children, Moon, Majora's Mask, Kotake, Chancellor Cole, Giants
Row D) Ganon

Lineage Tier
Fierce Deity Link, Link's Mother, Baby Link, Hero's Shade (Link's Father), Wolf Link, Dark Link

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
I typed up who's who:

God Tier
Farore, Nayru, Din

Sage Tier
Kaepora Gaebora/Rauru, Impa, Saria, King of Hyrule, Nabooru, Ruto, Darunia

Triforce Tier
Link, Zelda, Ganondorf

Spirit Tier (clockwise from Deku Tree)
The Great Deku Tree, Fado, Fairy Queen, Great Fairy (WW), The Windfish, Great Fairy (TP), Ciela, Navi, Skyward Sword, Tatl, Tael, Great Fairy (OoT/MM), Valoo, Jabun, Laruto, Medli, Makar, Deku Tree Sprout

Allies Tier
Row A) Renado, Rusl, Ashei, Shad, Auru, Link's Uncle, Marin, Ilia, Epona, Talon, Ingo
Row B) Anju, Kafei, Cremia, Linebeck, Aryll, Niko, Gonzo, Mako, Senza, Zuko, Nudge, Link's Grandma
Row C) Tijo, Evan, Tingle, Toto, Lulu, Romani, Ralph, Syrup, Darmani
Row D) Japas, Mikau, Skull Kid, Deku King, Deku Butler's Son, Deku Princess, Deku Butler, Mido, Goron Elder, Goron Elder's Son

Guardians Tier
The King of Red Lions, Byrne, Anjean, Midna, Oshus, Sahasrahla, Ezlo

Villains Tier
Row A) Happy Mask Salesman, Bellum
Row B) Veran, Zant, Agahnim, Vaati, Onox
Row C) Giants, Koume, Moon Children, Moon, Majora's Mask, Kotake, Chancellor Cole, Giants
Row D) Ganon

Lineage Tier
Fierce Deity Link, Link's Mother, Baby Link, Hero's Shade (Link's Father), Wolf Link, Dark Link
This post is definitely in my favorite post list.
Together with its related image of course.
xD

Spire

III
BRoomer
lol what ?
Yeah dude. He's more a villain than a supporting character, why? Because he forces you through so much peril and then, when you reach the moon, the five moon children represent younger versions of him. He's less of a direct villain and more of a string-puller.

Nic64

Smash Lord
I think he's an ambiguous character and his position near the center of the picture represents that, slightly below it yes but close and it makes sense for midna to be in that group as well

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think he's an ambiguous character and his position near the center of the picture represents that, slightly below it yes but close and it makes sense for midna to be in that group as well
Makes sense for Midna to be a villain or to be between the two groups? I hope that's not what you infer. Midna is straight up good.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Spire said:
Yeah dude. He's more a villain than a supporting character, why? Because he forces you through so much peril and then, when you reach the moon, the five moon children represent younger versions of him. He's less of a direct villain and more of a string-puller.
True.
You can name him "Super-Villian" if you want, I don't even like that guy.

Spire

III
BRoomer
^ all of those sans the Ganondorf are official art iirc. I love the stained glass windows so much.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Of those three, I really dislike the second one. I hate how both Ganon and Link are portrayed. I'm not at all fond of the third either.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think Ganon resembles neither Ganondorf nor a pig, is overtly muscular and just ridiculous looking, and Link looks like a hobbit. Ganon has a skull face. Because his body is somewhat fleshy looking and he has hair, it implies that rather than being a blatantly undead creature, he's some sort of demon, which absolves him of his mortal roots.

I also don't enjoy the style in which it was drawn. It feels like they recognized some of the techniques used in the Skyward Sword concept art released at E3 2009 then tried to replicate those, though after recognizing that they could not, opted for a hybrid style between it and western graphic novel. The lighting is also bothersome because it suggests they are in some sort of corridor, which parallels Ganon with the Minotaur. He becomes devoid of personality, just a raging beast, but because his face is skeletal, is less than even that. He is but fiery evil incarnate.

Link is just awful. He's wearing too much, his clothing feels too bulky, and his spiked bracer and shield are so uncharacteristic of him; coupled with that goofy pauldron, torn red cape, what sash over his torso, and that ridiculous ring on his leg, it feels like some typical western fantasy art trying to be contemporary. Man I really hate this drawing. It's not Legend of Zelda at all.

Nic64

Smash Lord
Makes sense for Midna to be a villain or to be between the two groups? I hope that's not what you infer. Midna is straight up good.
In the second half of the game yes, she's just using link and generally treating him like garbage earlier on. Makes sense for her to be closer to the center to me because she's a more dynamic character that doesn't adhere strictly to black and white "good vs evil" as most others do

I think Ganon resembles neither Ganondorf nor a pig, is overtly muscular and just ridiculous looking, and Link looks like a hobbit. Ganon has a skull face. Because his body is somewhat fleshy looking and he has hair, it implies that rather than being a blatantly undead creature, he's some sort of demon, which absolves him of his mortal roots.
Ganon is referred to as a demon throughout the series, though

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
^^ This.

That picture'd be great if it were a no zelda series based story, IMO it doesn't represent Ganon at all, but some sort of demon as Spire said.

But for a Zelda representation, it fails.

Nic64

Smash Lord
Ganon canonically is a demon though, and even ignoring that why is a different interpretation so bad? Spire's complaints about the TECHNICAL issues of the picture are completely valid. If you want to criticize the artistry I can understand that, but I don't understand how you can attack it for not being faithful to Zelda canon, it's fan art. A lot of the pictures in this thread paint Link in a light that is uncharacteristic of what we've seen of his various incarnations, and only this picture is being hated on for it?

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Ganon canonically is a demon though, and even ignoring that why is a different interpretation so bad? Spire's complaints about the TECHNICAL issues of the picture are completely valid. If you want to criticize the artistry I can understand that, but I don't understand how you can attack it for not being faithful to Zelda canon, it's fan art. A lot of the pictures in this thread paint Link in a light that is uncharacteristic of what we've seen of his various incarnations, and only this picture is being hated on for it?
Hey, I was just speaking my mind.
xD

Kesusjade

Smash Rookie

Hey guys. It's been a while since I've been around the SmashBroads (New account, I used to be toon_marth, that moron who help contribute to the failed Project Zelda a while back). So I might as well contribute to something that I happened to find a few seconds ago on a friend's blog.

Hell yeah, first post is in the Zelda forum.

Top Bottom