• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Zelda Classic (LoZ Creator Program!)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well I completely forgot about this program for about... 3-4 years now, but somehow the unexpected loads of snow that we got today reminded me of it. Yes, this is what the title says: a totally legal program that can be used to create your very own 8 or 16-bit Legend of Zelda! I'm going to stop talking and go ahead and link you guys:

http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/index.php

So of course this raises a task for us, the SWF LoZ community: we need to make a Zelda game. Period.

Mewter

Smash Master
Woah! This is awesome!
I'm taking a look at this! :)

And you didn't tell us until now!

Edit:
Aww, it isn't running properly on my computer. :(

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Is this opportunity ringing?
A project like this might bring me to singing!

Well well well! This may actually be a project I can really sink my creative tooth into! YLOZ was nice and so was Project Zelda... But my strong suits have always been in concept.

Spire, my old friend, it looks like the team is back!

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
I remember fiddling around with this program a few years ago. I never fully understood how to do a few things, like move items. All I recommend is reading some tutorials before starting a project. It's not that type of program that you can learn by constantly playing with it. :dizzy:

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
Well I completely forgot about this program for about... 3-4 years now, but somehow the unexpected loads of snow that we got today reminded me of it. Yes, this is what the title says: a totally legal program that can be used to create your very own 8 or 16-bit Legend of Zelda! I'm going to stop talking and go ahead and link you guys:

So of course this raises a task for us, the SWF LoZ community: we need to make a Zelda game. Period.
Just took a quick glance at the site! I was amazed!! Not sure what you wanna do, Spire, but I would want a 16-bit Zelda; think of it like the second game for the SNES, since the NES had 2 Zeldas.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Of course, it depends on the skill-set of the people working on the game. I'll assume that we probably will be making our own sprites for this particular game. And spriting can be a tedious art form, and can become extremely complex. 8 bit would be easy in the fact that you only have to mingle with a couple different colors and no shading. 16 bit is twice as hard (As you will notice that it is twice the bits!), but the award of having beautiful graphics will be oh so gratifying.

But we have some fairly decent spriters around here on the forums... so maybe this wont be a problem.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Why don't we make one from the Zelda engine I started? I'm constantly thinking up new ideas, and it won't be too difficult to program. Originality is better, anyway. Besides, using more complex programs like Game Maker and Flash provides many more opportunities and possibilities for the game, like rendered 3-D models as sprites.

Honestly, I don't want to begin a large project from a program with such limited opportunities. We need to build from the ground up.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Do you have GameMaker? Do you know how to use it?

Perhaps we could, but I vote we start small... like with this. We can make a sprited 16 or 8 bit game from scratch first, and then maybe we can step it up to 3D later on.

(besides, I need practice with my 3D art skill...)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'm currently busy with a project, the overworld is 99% complete, I've just gotta copy it and make a few extra versions of it (hehehe), for my quest.

First dungeon complete, 8 dungeons in total
Items are spread out
sideQ's are in development

yaahooow!

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Do you have GameMaker? Do you know how to use it?

Perhaps we could, but I vote we start small... like with this. We can make a sprited 16 or 8 bit game from scratch first, and then maybe we can step it up to 3D later on.

(besides, I need practice with my 3D art skill...)
Yes, I have Game Maker, and I know very well how to use it. That's where I started the Zelda engine. The reason I prefer Gamer Maker to Flash (for games, not animations) is because Game Maker games can load practically everything (except code, of course) into the game from specified file locations, which cuts the front load to about 10 seconds. It's also much easier to use than Flash in general.

What program do you use to draw 3-D models? I have Flash now, which can handle 3-D, but I don't know if it's possible to draw 3-D models in Flash.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
wife just pointed this thread out to me, this is awesome! I agree, SWF Zelda would rock. I volunteer to write yer MIDIs :D I dl'd it and played around a bit, the new version of the editor is really easy to use which is a +. I am going to agree reading the tutorial first is also a +. Well, my evening's set, dunno what you all are doing tonight, but I'm gonna make a quick zelda dungeon, keep it simple, like 4 rooms, maybe a dungeon w/4 rooms, or something, just to get a feel for it.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'm currently busy with a project, the overworld is 99% complete, I've just gotta copy it and make a few extra versions of it (hehehe), for my quest.

First dungeon complete, 8 dungeons in total
Items are spread out
sideQ's are in development

yaahooow!
Yeah, just to add to my own comment:

1. I'll gladly help you with anything (flags, secrets etcetera, really just ANYTHING and ask me)
2. Looking for some playtesters :O If you're a zelda fan and want to help me out a bit hit me up! ^^
3. I can put my quest up and you can open it yourself, to see how some things work, I would recommend playing it also so you know what it does before you ask it ;)

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I have Game Maker, and I know very well how to use it. That's where I started the Zelda engine. The reason I prefer Gamer Maker to Flash (for games, not animations) is because Game Maker games can load practically everything (except code, of course) into the game from specified file locations, which cuts the front load to about 10 seconds. It's also much easier to use than Flash in general.

What program do you use to draw 3-D models? I have Flash now, which can handle 3-D, but I don't know if it's possible to draw 3-D models in Flash.
I have ZBrush, which is basically a computer "sculpting" program. I made my avatar with it.

As for Game Maker... does it work for Mac? I dont own a PC anymore, so unless there is a Game Maker fr Mac, I wont even be able to play the Zelda game if we make it... :urg:

Sucumbo: I think we are mostly waiting for Spire's consent before we start working on anything.

Mewter

Smash Master
I've used Game Maker before, but it was so confusing so I uninstalled and deleted it. :(

I prefer RPG Maker more. :p

Scott!

Smash Lord
I did some (very simple) stuff with Game Maker. It took a while to figure it out, but it was fun. I'll definitely be checking this out though. Working with Game Maker was a lot of fun once I figured out what I was doing and how to do it, so once I get the hang of this, I'll probably be having a blast.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Sucumbo: I think we are mostly waiting for Spire's consent before we start working on anything.
Oh, no doubt, we'll want a good organizer and whatnot, I was just sayin' I'm gonna play w/the app and learn how to use it...

...which I have! so far so good, it's ... not too bad for simple things, but the more advanced things will take some practice/exploration.

I've made a quick 4-room map w/a 4-room dungeon, lol it's tiny, but it's a good start to just get a feel for it. I can't seem to get the app to play the custom map though, so I've registered at a couple ZC forums to see if I can get some help on this last step, but once I get it workin' I'll post it here so others can see what all it's like to make a custom. There's also tons of already-made customs at the forums, particularly this one.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'll act as an overseer and coordinator for this project, but otherwise, I leave it up to all of you to work on what and how much you want. Feel free to excise your right to be creative and awesome. The bill's on me :080:

Perhaps we can work similarly to the SmashCAP thread and after coming up with a handful of ideas per category, can vote on them.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Sucumbio, if you have trouble hit me up.

To play the custom quest you should first
Save the quest
Start Zclassic
New name
Name it
Press A
Press custom quest
Et voila!

If it won't work
1. Have you set up a Dmap for your small quest?
2. Do you have the rules set up?
3. Do you have put in a return square on the map you set as 'continue' map in the dmap?
4. Have you set up a Dmap for your dungeon?
5. Have you made sure that a tile warp is bound from the overworld to the dungeon?

You can also send it to me and I'll look at it ^^

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
yeah lemme do that, cause I believe I have done all that... but I may be missing something still and the boards I've registered at have literally not replied yet, lol

here's a Link to it, har har

I think what I'll do is take one of the example files that already works, and work backwards from that, should be a little easier I think.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Game Maker will be much better, I think, than anything we could use. And since we have somebody who actually knows how to use Game Maker (compared to the experience we have with this Zelda software), we dont have to worry about learning new software... Because Phantom can do all of our work! Muahahaha!

Spire

III
BRoomer
Please Read

I'm simply waiting to get Windows 7 installed on my mac so I can use Game Maker and/or Zelda Classic. Though with Game Maker, we'll be free to script all sorts of events and actions that are borderline impossible with ZC.

Phantom7, could you make a video demonstrating your capabilities with GM? I'd like to see what kind of skills we have on our team. In fact, this goes for everyone interested in working on the project. I ask all of you to post any and all kinds of work showing what you're best at and/or interested in with this game. If you're a sprite artist, let's see it. If you're an animator, let's see it. If you're a programmer, sound technician, or writer, let's see it.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Shall I begin, then?

For many years now I have been working for many projects, using my imagination and art to add a little spice to an otherwise bland project. In short: I am a concept artist.

These examples, of course, are only a few silly creations of mine, out of many hundreds of pictures I have done. Some concepts have sadly been lost somehow...

I've also dabbled in spriting:

I have also become fairly decent in CG and 3D sculpting, but since we arent going to make a 3D game right now, I best just stick to concept and spriting.

And not to toot my own horn... but I have an amazing imagination. :estatic:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
That's good stuff! You're a good artist :D

I will post a Zelda MIDI when I have time. Here's a quick sample of the quality of music I write, of course writing for a game would mean seeing a lot of it in action first, to get the right mood, etc. And MIDI's aren't the same as what that sample is, they're generally ... 8-bitier ... yeah. But idk, if GM can employ .wavs or something, that'd be a huge plus to use that over ZC.

Oh and I finished my test quest, lol. Thank you to Xonar who helped greatly in debugging/beta test. (I figured out how to get those gravestones to behave ^^).

Scott!

Smash Lord
I downloaded this and have been playing around in it a bit. Nothing complicated yet at all, just making map screens and stuff. I don't want to judge it before really getting into it, but so far I agree with Spire that Game maker is more flexible and capable. But I want to go try some more in-depth stuff before I judge completely.

On a side note, I just remembered that, in the only game I "finished" in Game Maker, I used a lot of original Zelda sprites, mostly because I'm not much of an artist. I've been doing my best to replace them with originals, but not being a particularly skilled or inspired pixel artist holds me back. I much prefer level design to the art side of it. Fun stuff.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Some of my work was seen in the old Project Zelda, so some of you know that I compose music, I can design dungeons, draw things, and use Game Maker.

So, here's some of my work:

"Rolling Ridge Tower Dungeon Music" -- this was written for the old Project Zelda, as well as this Kakariko Village arrangement.

If you would like to see some of my other work, Super Smash Bros. Crusade (check my sig) features many animations, sprites, and drawings (stage backgrounds, etc.) I've done. Most of the programming was done by Falcon88, though.

I'll add a bit more to the Zelda engine before I create a video, though. I'll at least have each sword move, walking around, rolling, and maybe switching items. I may also include a couple of enemies before then, but I don't know how soon you want the video.

Also, as far as I know, I don't think Game Maker works for Mac. :(

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
I dont know about you folks, but I'm ready to work on this. So I'm going to go ahead and start working on some ideas I've been having, if none of you mind. When I'm done, I'll post them, and see what you think.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I dont know about you folks, but I'm ready to work on this. So I'm going to go ahead and start working on some ideas I've been having, if none of you mind. When I'm done, I'll post them, and see what you think.
I don't know about you guys, but I want to make this before OoT, including some things I used for Your LOZ. I'm not forcing this, but it's an idea. It doesn't have to be exactly like it, because we can still alter the storyline by making it more complex and changing some of the details to make it better, and I didn't design everything about the game, either. For example, I think the Hylia Village could be changed to something more creative, and if necessary, some characters could be changed. We will definitely have to add plenty of characters, though.

But yes, I'm ready to begin development. And this time, it's not going to die like the old Project Zelda did.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Skyler and I came up with an idea that I'd like to pitch:

Setting: Hyrule has advanced in respect towards the Goddesses. Rather than growing in an expected technological direction, it has embraced its magical roots and built the land into a shining marble expanse, similar in architecture to the real-world Greek influence that the Temple of Time (from TP) looked like, including the odd technologies such as the Sky Cannon, Dominion Rod, movable statues, and Beamos; creations relative to the City in the Sky. The races of Hyrule have utilized such unconventional devices to develop Hyrule into the "high-ruling" country it should be. Rather than going the steampunk direction that TP and PH/ST seem to be going towards, it's become "templepunk".

IF we were to place this in the timeline, it could be based somewhere in the future in the Child or Adult lines. To keep it discrepant, we can suggest within the game's context that it could be based in either one, if any at all.

Plot, characters, etc: I have no idea.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
IDEA: We should combine our ideas, Spire. It could take place before OoT, but the war that I used in the YOUR LoZ project could result in the destruction of the many temples (built in honor of the goddesses, of course) that make up Hyrule. And the Temple of Time (which was built at the end of my YOUR LoZ) could be built in a similar design to the magnificent temples that dominated Hyrule before the war.

Spire

III
BRoomer
@ Phantom7 - OR we could make a game that could take place before OoT -- long before the Interloper/Civil War where Hyrule was a magnificent, and I'll use my term again, "templepunk" land. Our story could lead up to a war/event that destroys almost everything, leaving the country in ruins.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Aye, a prequal to the prequal of ooT, you mean? Before Ganondorf's time?

Sounds fun. It is a point in time that hasnt really been talked about, so we have artistic range to mess around with. This is probably a time, no doubt, that witchcraft and magic is at it's strongest... and darkest.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
@ Phantom7 - OR we could make a game that could take place before OoT -- long before the Interloper/Civil War where Hyrule was a magnificent, and I'll use my term again, "templepunk" land. Our story could lead up to a war/event that destroys almost everything, leaving the country in ruins.
Actually, that IS what my YOUR LoZ was, even though I never said it was. In the war immediately before OoT, a mother entrusts her baby to the Great Deku Tree, and the child is raised as a Kokori (who becomes the Hero of Time, of course). But in the Hero's Crest (name of my YOUR LoZ project), it is a war that wipes out most of the Sheikah race and destroys most of Hyrule, and the Hero of Time is not present at all. Also, the Kokori weren't around during this war, according to the project; it was the Ikori, a race of tiny, half-human-half-Minish creatures. I'd say this occurs at least 100 years before the events preceding OoT.

Also, zaneebaslave, yes, this is a time when magic is at its darkest! The Sheikah are a thriving race at this point, at war with the Gerudo, who also possess black magic abilities.

Top Bottom