• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Combos

Hulk Smash

Smash Rookie
Not sure if someone has already made a thread for this or not, but I'm curious to see what combos everyone has already discovered for Zelda in Sm4sh. I'm partial to the Dthrow, UpSmash and then Up B, but I cant always quite pull it off in competitive gameplay For Glory. What have you guys got?

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
D tilt -> D tilt at low percents seems to work on most character.

Seems.

On Bowser I've gotten D tilt to combo about 4 times in a row.

Bowser. cute.

D tilt -> U tilt works too sometimes.

Sometimes. Which means it doesn't really.

It's really cute Fuuj, to see you acting so optimistic around here. I actually almost see a normal SSB player under these commenTs.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
Obvious ones: Double hit Farore's Wind (teleport straight up), dthrow to nair (to kick on some characters)

I've gotten utilt to grab to work on some characters at low percents and I just did an autocanceled dair OoS to upair that killed, forget what percent tho.

Also, dash attack to dash attack isn't a real combo, but it puts some characters in a bad position. If the first dash attack lands on a non-floaty at low percents, they either have to challenge the second one with an aerial which is hard because it's coming from below and most dairs are slow, or they can airdodge through it, but that puts them on the ground with a lot of lag, which likely means a grab. Wouldn't work on characters with counters tho.

Hibernian99

Smash Cadet
Double hit FW seems to be a great kill move once players get to a certain percentage(depending on their weight) it works for a wide range of percentage(still needs more testing)

Hulk Smash

Smash Rookie
Obvious ones: Double hit Farore's Wind (teleport straight up), dthrow to nair (to kick on some characters)

I've gotten utilt to grab to work on some characters at low percents and I just did an autocanceled dair OoS to upair that killed, forget what percent tho.

Also, dash attack to dash attack isn't a real combo, but it puts some characters in a bad position. If the first dash attack lands on a non-floaty at low percents, they either have to challenge the second one with an aerial which is hard because it's coming from below and most dairs are slow, or they can airdodge through it, but that puts them on the ground with a lot of lag, which likely means a grab. Wouldn't work on characters with counters tho.
Yeah, I've seen FW being used a lot to get KO's in SSB4, but people are going to start expecting it soon enough and I guess it'd lead to us having to play mind games with them. Zelda hasn't ever really been a massively combo based character but I figured it'd be nice to have something to use on low percentage characters to help build them up safer.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Probs not a totally legit combo, but you can at least Dthrow at high percent (Around 80-100% depending on the char, and likely only ON a certain weight level.) and quickly jump > FW > follow their DI (I think FW hits as fast as NAir and should be able to hit as consistently as NAir.) > FW reappear KO. You've got to have great reaction timing to FW DI, but the payoff is #lolswagKO@80onGanon.

EOE

Smash Apprentice
Probs not a totally legit combo, but you can at least Dthrow at high percent (Around 80-100% depending on the char, and likely only ON a certain weight level.) and quickly jump > FW > follow their DI (I think FW hits as fast as NAir and should be able to hit as consistently as NAir.) > FW reappear KO. You've got to have great reaction timing to FW DI, but the payoff is #lolswagKO@80onGanon.
This is a true combo. Around the 80% mark, D-throw combos in to Up-B on all characters. This is thanks to Up-B now carrying momentum from a jump.

This means that Zelda's D-throw kills ALL characters at around 80% if followed up correctly. It does take some good reaction time, but it's not difficult to connect at all. Also, if your opponent DIs horizontally, it actually makes it easier to follow up.

The only other move I had found this combo to work out of was her D-air on a grounded opponent.

Another interesting combo on tall characters is Full-hop D-air > Double Jump D-air > Up-B/U-air. And yes, that is actually a true combo that kills in the 80s%. Haha. The big problem however is that the opponent has two opportunities to tech.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
So, basically, any good Zelda can KO any opponent at 80-100% guaranteed off a grab if they have good DI reaction? That seems a little, dare I say broken. (Rhetorical) Could this be used with Zelda's improved grab to raise her viability immensely? :D

EOE

Smash Apprentice
Umm...am I dreaming? :)

Tested on Rosalina due to her weight and size. It's harder to hit on Jigglypuff because of her hurtbox. S/he's also launched quite far by the D-throw.

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I have a feeling you can jump or airdodge before getting hit by Farore's first hit?

EOE

Smash Apprentice
I have a feeling you can jump or airdodge before getting hit by Farore's first hit?
Possibly. It's showing up as a 7 hit combo, implying it's inescapable, but I've tested some grab-release combos that aren't guaranteed but still show up in Training mode.

I won't be able to test this with human players until the weekend.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Wow, this may be just...Yeah. *crosses fingers* Good to see it works on the lighter bunch too.

Please share any results you have if used on human players!

I'mma try and use it in For Glory for funsies. :p

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Just landed the dthrow to Farore's KO on Rosalina at like 70% on For Glory. Lol'd.

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
Oh wow, let me play around with this.

I love down throw. I never thought I would say this since it looked to be totally useless until it was released outside Japan.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Good find! It does look more like a tech-chase-read sort of thing than a combo. But I don't have the game. I'm curious to see how escapable it is by air dodges or jumping like Aleate said.
Even if it can be escaped, it's a great pressuring option that puts the opponent in a bad place without their second jump above Zelda or air dodging for an Uair read.

It seems a little like Pika's thunder downB.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Tried dthrow to Farore's against a human. Failed every time. (Not on For Glory)

Last edited:

EOE

Smash Apprentice
That's unfortunate. :(
Let's just hope it takes some getting used to. You have to be really quick.

D-throw > Immediately hold left, double jump and Up-B > Hold control stick at 340°, 0° or 20°, depending on vector direction.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Has anyone tried to farore's after dtilt? I've just thought of something in my head but haven't tested it, but you know dtilt launches up now, can't you Dtilt > Farore's, and then if it hits you teleport up to nab the second hit, and if they airdodge you teleport down to hit their landing lag??

Could this work??

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Umm...am I dreaming? :)

Tested on Rosalina due to her weight and size. It's harder to hit on Jigglypuff because of her hurtbox. S/he's also launched quite far by the D-throw.
Woah. That was pretty, that was beautiful.
D3RK made a point where he used Farore's Windfall where he did something similar. But I don't think it killed as early, given that that Farore's Windfall is made for just that I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to test it.

EOE

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone tried to farore's after dtilt? I've just thought of something in my head but haven't tested it, but you know dtilt launches up now, can't you Dtilt > Farore's, and then if it hits you teleport up to nab the second hit, and if they airdodge you teleport down to hit their landing lag??

Could this work??
D-tilt > Up-B also shows up as a guaranteed combo. I was testing this last night, and it works on all characters I've tested 20% after D-throw > Up-B works. For example, on Rosalina you can D-throw > Up-B at 60% and you can D-tilt > Up-B at 80%. On Villager, the values are 80% and 100%, etc...

Using D-tilt instead of D-throw seems more promising because you can act sooner out of D-tilt, so it might actually be a true combo outside of training mode. The problem with using D-tilt is that you have to hit at really close range. Travelling horizontally will take too long and the opponent will be out of hit-stun.

And no, sadly you couldn't teleport down to punish an air-dodge because of how Farore's Wind has to travel the full distance now. :(

Woah. That was pretty, that was beautiful.
D3RK made a point where he used Farore's Windfall where he did something similar. But I don't think it killed as early, given that that Farore's Windfall is made for just that I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to test it.
If I remember correctly, Windfall doesn't carry momentum from her jump, it acts as the old Farore's Wind did.
Also, Windfall wouldn't be able to account for vectoring/DI because it only travels vertically.

Last edited:

Upke

Smash Journeyman
So on the topic of trying dthrow - FW on humans, I tried it a couple times in For Glory mode. I was able to get the first hit every time, but I kept missing the second hit because of either percent or DI. I still believe it's doable, it'll just take practice and cleaning up.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
my favorites to use:

d-tilt x2, f-tilt
d-tilt x2, f-smash (vs some characters who might try to spam spot dodge)

u,tilt, u-tilt, u-smash, u-air
u-tilt, u-tilt, n-air

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
At 0% and some lower percentages, D-throw to Nair is pretty much guaranteed. Maybe get a second Nair if your opponent wants to be combo'd more, and that's 27% just like that.

D-tilt to u-tilt works at around 50% on lower weights, and 60% on higher weights, I think. Have to test this more.

And for complete impracticality, if your opponent is on the edge on-stage, Dair into two hit FW kills Rosalina at 64-69%. Hard to explain, but it's a real stupid combo that should never be used, lol.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Another one:

d-air to u-smash to u-air

eg what I do here @ 0:21 ;

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I love dair combos. Very often they can lead to a KO.
Too bad it's so easy to tech in this game.

Mienaikage

Smash Cadet
I've been borrowing some of the combos on here and messing about a bit against Marth, got a few things that the combo counter claims are combos:

0%
dThrow > bAir

50%
dTilt > uTilt

55%
dThrow > uAir
Full hop dAir > f/bAir

65%
dTilt > upward fTilt

80%
dTilt > dash > uSmash
Full hop dAir > uAir

All are sweetspot f/bAirs

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I just thought of something gross.

People can utitlize the bottom screen focus attribute to put a cursor on your character. This cursor doesn't disappear when Zelda becomes invisible, making it easier for them to avoid the second hit of Teleport.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I just thought of something gross.

People can utitlize the bottom screen focus attribute to put a cursor on your character. This cursor doesn't disappear when Zelda becomes invisible, making it easier for them to avoid the second hit of Teleport.
This isn't a big deal at all. You can see an in-game shadow of the character moving anyways for all teleport animations, even Greninja's stuff. That crap will only work on low-level players, also you can just shield. You should be using teleport as a punish imo, not throwing it out YOLO style

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
This isn't a big deal at all. You can see an in-game shadow of the character moving anyways for all teleport animations, even Greninja's stuff. That crap will only work on low-level players, also you can just shield. You should be using teleport as a punish imo, not throwing it out YOLO style
Oh sorry, I meant in terms of the combo! No I wouldn't just throw Teleport out when I feel like it, whiff much haha? Being able to read it easier though could mess her being able to recover, but again, where she'll teleport to when recovering is somewhat telegraphed anyways haha

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I tested Up-throw > Farore's Windfall, and I think it's a true combo. Works from like 80% to 100%, at least on Marth.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
That was avoidable, though. The Greninja you played against simply made the same mistake twice in row when he/she attempted to Dair you.

Could have airdodged either.
A lot of "combos" are avoidable with proper DI or teching in Smash.

Top Bottom