• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Matchup Thread // OUTDATED

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
I blame wifi. I have no problem against DDD in offline matches, but wifi matches against them never go the way I want. Darn the delay lag and with the random lag spikes. People say to just get used to it, but I think its (playing on wifi) just has a mutual effect that people don't think make much of a difference, when it actually does.

Villi

Smash Lord
Alright, so I, like yourself probably, am speaking from personal experience, and I've never had very much trouble with a Zelda to be completely honest. It is very possible that I am playing people whose strategies just don't work against Dedede, and therefore I invite you to broaden my horizons and introduce me to the style of Zelda that you believe gives Zelda such a large advantage.

Hey, I'll take you up on that. ^^

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
DDD is hard countered by Zelda.

First order of business, who has to approach, it's DDD. DDD's minions do not affect din's fire and Zelda can punish DDD for pulling them out at most ranges. Sure, it's exchanging hits, but Zelda deals a lot more damage with Din. Din's fire has counters, but given advanced use, if just allowed to spam, Zelda will hit occasionally, creating a progressively worse situation for DDD, DDD must approach.

Now, what can DDD do to Zelda on approach... uh f-tilt, nothing else really. Bair is beaten by up-smash and up-tilt pretty handily, and also results in disadvantageous spacing. Everything else just isn't safe on block. Given that f-tilt isn't really safe on prediction (it's out too long) it just isn't enough. He's also forced to attack, because Zelda can ^B to reset the spacing very easily unless constantly pressured, allowing her to back to Din's fire.

Aerially, Zelda wins, DDD is an enormous target so you can reliably sweetspot against DDD. Heck, it's not too hard to sweetspot against DDD's bair (as in on the foot). They'll both be hurt by this, granted, but Zelda definitely has the advantage here.

Recovery, Zelda's recovery is relatively predictable, when recovering low, but nowhere near as predictable as DDD's. When recovering high on the other hand, she has plenty of options, whereas you can still predict exactly where DDD is gonna land based on his initial trajectory unless he cancels it, which makes him totally defenseless.

Chain grabbing would've probably saved DDD here... but he can't chaingrab Zelda.

70-30, Zelda.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725

First order of business, who has to approach, it's DDD. DDD's minions do not affect din's fire and Zelda can punish DDD for pulling them out at most ranges. Sure, it's exchanging hits, but Zelda deals a lot more damage with Din. Din's fire has counters, but given advanced use, if just allowed to spam, Zelda will hit occasionally, creating a progressively worse situation for DDD, DDD must approach.

Now, what can DDD do to Zelda on approach... uh f-tilt, nothing else really. Bair is beaten by up-smash and up-tilt pretty handily, and also results in disadvantageous spacing. Everything else just isn't safe on block. Given that f-tilt isn't really safe on prediction (it's out too long) it just isn't enough. He's also forced to attack, because Zelda can ^B to reset the spacing very easily unless constantly pressured, allowing her to back to Din's fire.

Aerially, Zelda wins, DDD is an enormous target so you can reliably sweetspot against DDD. Heck, it's not too hard to sweetspot against DDD's bair (as in on the foot). They'll both be hurt by this, granted, but Zelda definitely has the advantage here.

Recovery, Zelda's recovery is relatively predictable, when recovering low, but nowhere near as predictable as DDD's. When recovering high on the other hand, she has plenty of options, whereas you can still predict exactly where DDD is gonna land based on his initial trajectory unless he cancels it, which makes him totally defenseless.

Chain grabbing would've probably saved DDD here... but he can't chaingrab Zelda.

70-30, Zelda.
QFT

the only reason it's 70:30 and not worse for DDD is because Zelda is light and DDD is heavy with strong attacks. Zelda has a huge advantage, but it doesn't take too many mistakes to cause problems for her.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
oh, side note, I'll take luigi's mansion over battlefield against DDD any day.

blocking all his little waddle dees with pillars is just great.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman

No. Just no. First of all Dedede doesn't have to try to outprojectile in the first place. He can just SH airdodge all the dins all the way to Zelda, or just run up and then shield, or just throw a dee and then shield, there's all sorts of ways to deal with Din's. You make it sound like Dedede approaching is the worst thing in the world, not all characters on the roster are in possession of crap approach games you know.

Lawl. How many Dedede's have you seen approach with an Ftilt. How about his grab which you know.. has crazy speed and range? And is useful? And deals up to like 16% damage depending on what you use it for. AND OMG WHO USES FW FOR SPACING? Not even Luthien does that.

Except kicks are easy to see coming. The only time I'm terribly worried about a kick is if I mess up and use a laggy move, or while I'm recovering. They're both very good edgeguarders, I'd say neither has the advantage offstage. And aerially I'd also say they're both pretty even. Sure a sweetspotted kick hurts, but so does a couple of bairs to the groin while you're trying to land that kick. Also his Dair is way underestimated. You could reliably sweetspot if the D3 was an idiot that didn't know how to shield, or move, or bair. Unfortunately no D3's are that stupid, so reliably is not so much.

Zelda has actually very little when recovering in general, she has to either land on the ground, or sweetspot the edge, otherwise suffer massive landing lag that is just asking for a bair in the face. That leaves only a few options for the Zelda regardless of where she is recovering from. Dedede's offers him some flexibility, in that many people will anticipate where he will land and charge a smash or advance with an aerial, if you cancel that and veer to the other direction, it leaves plenty of time for him to recover while they're off releasing their smash or whatever. Also.. you know, he has useful second jumps.

If Dedede could chaingrab Zelda, this matchup would clearly be in his favor.

70-30, Zelda.
-20 - +20

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Piecemail doesn't really work in a match-up discussion. A totality of options is required and a discussion of who has dominance in each situation, at least relative to the other. It's a chain of succession.

You need to establish what a high-leveled battle will consist of and from there, discuss who has an advantage in each position.

No. Just no. First of all Dedede doesn't have to try to outprojectile in the first place. He can just SH airdodge all the dins all the way to Zelda, or just run up and then shield, or just throw a dee and then shield, there's all sorts of ways to deal with Din's. You make it sound like Dedede approaching is the worst thing in the world, not all characters on the roster are in possession of crap approach games you know.
The point of that was to establish who has to approach...

Take Falco vs. Marth, Falco has lasers and Marth doesn't have lasers, reflector, a low enough crouch, or any other answers to falco's lasers, he has to approach. But Marth still wins the match-up.

It may not be the worst thing ever, but it means Zelda's approach game is irrelevant.

Lawl. How many Dedede's have you seen approach with an Ftilt. How about his grab which you know.. has crazy speed and range? And is useful? And deals up to like 16% damage depending on what you use it for. AND OMG WHO USES FW FOR SPACING? Not even Luthien does that.
Safely approach... probably should've made it clear, but I realized that I forgot to mention that after it was quoted.

Zelda outranges it, therefore not safe.

He CAN use it, but ultimately he loses out in the approach game.

Regardless, it's not used for spacing much because people there generally is consistent pressure. Lay it off, and it's certainly usable.

Except kicks are easy to see coming. The only time I'm terribly worried about a kick is if I mess up and use a laggy move, or while I'm recovering. They're both very good edgeguarders, I'd say neither has the advantage offstage. And aerially I'd also say they're both pretty even. Sure a sweetspotted kick hurts, but so does a couple of bairs to the groin while you're trying to land that kick. Also his Dair is way underestimated. You could reliably sweetspot if the D3 was an idiot that didn't know how to shield, or move, or bair. Unfortunately no D3's are that stupid, so reliably is not so much.
Zelda's uair> DDD's dair.

The point of that was not to establish that Zelda's kick is an auto-win, merely that she has the advantage. Zelda has better answers to all of DDD's aerials when it comes to an aerial battle, except in one position, when DDD is below her.

Zelda has actually very little when recovering in general, she has to either land on the ground, or sweetspot the edge, otherwise suffer massive landing lag that is just asking for a bair in the face. That leaves only a few options for the Zelda regardless of where she is recovering from. Dedede's offers him some flexibility, in that many people will anticipate where he will land and charge a smash or advance with an aerial, if you cancel that and veer to the other direction, it leaves plenty of time for him to recover while they're off releasing their smash or whatever. Also.. you know, he has useful second jumps.
Ummm yeah...

ex1: ---------------------------------X---

ex2: -------------------X-----------------

The spots marked by the X in examples are soooo similar, right?

Zelda has the option of choosing where on the ground she lands which gives her a lot more options then DDD who is limited to just ground in a totally predictable location or completely defenseless drift, both of which are very easy to punish. Sure, he can choose the timing for the drift, but a smart opponent certainly won't charge a smash, and will make sure a drift on reaction will not save you from the aerial, probably a sweetspotted lightning kick.

-20 - +20
No, just no.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
honestly from playing DDDs, it IS 50:50....... online, when zelda can't pull out anythign requiring precision with any sort of reliable accuracy. when not hampered by lag, zelda is a firghtening force in the matchup. really.

honestly WHAT does DDD have on her. WHAT CAN HE DO? any attack of his has a respectable answer by zelda.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Lets please refrain from even including online play in any of our discussions, this should be strictly for play at the highest level. As i'm sure most of you are aware that online is not even close to having the capabilities of offline play.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
that was kinda my point. that Zelda pwns DDD in all but an online environment.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
My take is 60-40 Zelda. Everything that DDD bases his game on, Zelda has an answer for. He can't approach therefore he has a hard time killing, he can't chaingrab, he can't camp, his recovery is gimped..........I don't even see how it could be even.

Zelda doesn't have to approach, kills DDD with ease, gimps the hell out of him, and zones him pretty well.

Now I know how dangerous DDD can be even with all these disadvantages, it's just that Zelda was almost made to combat him.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
My take is 60-40 Zelda. Everything that DDD bases his game on, Zelda has an answer for. He can't approach therefore he has a hard time killing, he can't chaingrab, he can't camp, his recovery is gimped..........I don't even see how it could be even.

Zelda doesn't have to approach, kills DDD with ease, gimps the hell out of him, and zones him pretty well.

Now I know how dangerous DDD can be even with all these disadvantages, it's just that Zelda was almost made to combat him.
then how is it as low as 60:40?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
He is still a top tier character, unless some character has an infinite on him, I don't see how it could be worse than that when your dealing with a top tier character. If DDD had a matchup that was pushing 70:30, then there would be no way he would be top tier because he would be counter-picked and it would reflect in his tournament rankings.............what do you personally see him as?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
He is still a top tier character, unless some character has an infinite on him, I don't see how it could be worse than that when your dealing with a top tier character. If DDD had a matchup that was pushing 70:30, then there would be no way he would be top tier because he would be counter-picked and it would reflect in his tournament rankings.............what do you personally see him as?
no better for him than 65:35, no worse for him than 75:25. Honestly he's top teir because he's got some matchups where he's just pwn. and he's fairly effective against most of the top and high teir charcters.

Zelda is an anomaly at most tourneys so it's not surprising a disadvantage here doesn't weigh him down so much.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
no better for him than 65:35, no worse for him than 75:25. Honestly he's top teir because he's got some matchups where he's just pwn. and he's fairly effective against most of the top and high teir charcters.

Zelda is an anomaly at most tourneys so it's not surprising a disadvantage here doesn't weigh him down so much.
Lol, i'm going to guess that the spelling errors are because it's so late:).

If the matchup was that far in Zelda's favor......it would be known. Sure, Zelda isn't used in tournaments almost anywhere but i'm sure people would gladly counterpick with her if she ***** DDD that bad.........that's why I say it's only 60:40.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
The reason they don't counterpick Zelda is that there are characters that **** him even harder that are easier to use and less risky (mk).

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725

If the matchup was that far in Zelda's favor......it would be known. Sure, Zelda isn't used in tournaments almost anywhere but i'm sure people would gladly counterpick with her if she ***** DDD that bad.........that's why I say it's only 60:40.
but most people suck with zelda. She requires precision and pateince. DDD has other characters who can beat him who are easier to pick up (MK).

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
but SwastikaPyle, The Dedede and Metaknight boards agree that Metaknight has a 60:40 on Dedede. If you admit that metaknight ***** better than zelda does, then you are saying that Zelda is no more than 60:40

I would like to believe hard counter, as I cannot see how a smart Dedede could beat a smart Zelda, but there are people with better experience than me on these boards who say otherwise. I agree now that it is probably 60:40 or 65:35 because of what marsulas has said above. Its not an autowin for Zelda, but still very good in her favor.

also, this is never going to end:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195824g

sniperworm

Smash Ace
but SwastikaPyle, The Dedede and Metaknight boards agree that Metaknight has a 60:40 on Dedede. If you admit that metaknight ***** better than zelda does, then you are saying that Zelda is no more than 60:40

I would like to believe hard counter, as I cannot see how a smart Dedede could beat a smart Zelda, but there are people with better experience than me on these boards who say otherwise. I agree now that it is probably 60:40 or 65:35 because of what marsulas has said above. Its not an autowin for Zelda, but still very good in her favor.

also, this is never going to end:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195824g
Awesome, I guess both sides think they have the advantage...

Anyway, I'd like to think it's 70:30 Zelda (and from my experience that's what it seems like), but to be fair I've never played a DDD that was any good (or maybe Zelda is just so good against him that I couldn't tell). DDD has so many problems in this matchup, it sort of reminds me of G&W vs Zelda (except with Zelda having the advantage vs DDD of course). But I suppose DDD does have a few things going for him and combining that with the fact that I've never played against a good DDD, I'd be fine with 60:40 Zelda as I'm sure there are some strats that he has that are at least somewhat effective vs Zelda (or why would the DDD's think they have the advantage).

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
(or why would the DDD's think they have the advantage).
because DDD is top teir and zelda is nowhere close. honestly I'll bet they don't often play against zeldas who aren't the cookie cutter 1-dimensional kind.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
as long as it takes to get at least a semi accurate decision made.

Right now it looks like it's definitely zelda's advantage and is no less than 60:40 but no more than 70:30

if you wanted to move on I think we could prbably accept 65:35 and move on, but holding out longer might be a better decision.

also: it hasn't even been one week yet. why do you exagerrate so much? :ohwell:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I'm going to make a thread on the DDD boards to get some input from some players who actually know DDD in and out. Expect some DDD mains to be on here in a little while.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'm going to make a thread on the DDD boards to get some input from some players who actually know DDD in and out. Expect some DDD mains to be on here in a little while.
:ohwell: I'd think that would provide a skewed response if only because a zelda user has likely played a good DDD at at least one point. but DDDs have not necessarily played good zeldas.

Regardless, let them come.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
:ohwell: I'd think that would provide a skewed response if only because a zelda user has likely played a good DDD at at least one point. but DDDs have not necessarily played good zeldas.

Regardless, let them come.
I'm sure most of them are rational and even if not knowing about Zelda, would look at it reasonably.

At the very least, they will know their character like the back of their hand, certainly they will know more about him than most of us do.

I've posted the request, they should be coming pretty soon.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'm sure most of them are rational and even if not knowing about Zelda, would look at it reasonably.

At the very least, they will know their character like the back of their hand, certainly they will know more about him than most of us do.

I've posted the request, they should be coming pretty soon.
just as long as we don't get crazed fanboys I'll be waiting.

CO18

Smash Hero
How are you guys considering this 7:3 and I dont even think Zelda has the adv in this matchup and its neutral at best for her or Dedede having the advantage.

Dedede outranges Zelda on the ground, completely destroys her in the air, Not that difficult to rack up damage on her and Dedede can kill her very easily as compared to her up air being almost useless Versus Dedede one of her main kill moves because dair completely outranges it and extends to the ground. Not to mention her other kill moves can be DIed out of and they still wouldn't kill Dedede for very long.
And dededes bair destroys her fair and bair which are potential killing moves.

Imo Dedede has adv 6:4 or 55:45.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

Because people don't know, therefore they don't counter-pick her.

That, and it's a pretty high-leveled match-up, which tends to be a pattern among Zelda's match-ups. Assuming even skill, both have to be very strong players for Zelda's advantages to really show through. This isn't uncommon, in Snake's match-up with MK, MK wins at absolute noob level, then gets destroyed once Snake figures out grenades and ftilt/utilt, but once they both have really refined games (spacing tends to be the crucial factor here) it's a 60/40, MK's advantage.

Zelda is the same in that respect, she's not a pick-up and play counter-pick, she's a difficult character in general, but she DOES win this particular match-up handily at the top levels of play.

How are you guys considering this 7:3 and I dont even think Zelda has the adv in this matchup and its neutral at best for her or Dedede having the advantage.

Dedede outranges Zelda on the ground, completely destroys her in the air, Not that difficult to rack up damage on her and Dedede can kill her very easily as compared to her up air being almost useless Versus Dedede one of her main kill moves because dair completely outranges it and extends to the ground. Not to mention her other kill moves can be DIed out of and they still wouldn't kill Dedede for very long.

I dealt with all these points before...

It doesn't matter if he outranges her if he can't do it safely. Anything he does on the ground that outranges her is very punishable, and Zelda is overall more effective at close range.

You've gotta be on crack if you think DDD destroys Zelda in the air, she wins handily in every aerial position with the lone exception of DDD being below her. As was stated before, Zelda can sweetspot on DDD's foot for bair (with either fair or bair), tell me, who wins that exchange? Dair is killed by uair. Fair puts up no defense against bair and fair.

As for kill moves, DDD MIGHT be able to DI out of fsmash (I've never seen it happen, but I guess it's possible), but upsmash, no way, only tiny/light characters can reliably DI out. Utilt isn't multi-hit, fair and bair aren't multi-hit, uair isn't multi-hit, ftilt isn't multi-hit, and downsmash isn't multi-hit. ONE move DDD MIGHT be able to DI out of, which is highly doubtful.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Dedede outranges Zelda on the ground,
besides Ftilt, which is punnishable if sheilded, none of DDD's moves that "outrange" zelda come out with any sort of speed. Zelda would have to be asleep to get hit by most of them.

completely destroys her in the air,
lies. he beats her if he's got her off the stage, that's for sure, but he's got nothing on her in the air. play against a Zelda who can land LKs and see if you are so keen to go into a dogfight against her.

Not that difficult to rack up damage on her
exactly how, pray tell, can DD rack up damage easily against Zelda.

and Dedede can kill her very easily as compared to her up air being almost useless Verses Dedede one of her main kill moves because dair completely outranges it and extends to the ground.
DDD's dair is not an instant savior from uair. zelda can still land it, and she can also land LKs and Fsmashes and Usmashes and Utilts on many occasions against the big guy. Killing him is not a problem for her, even if DDD can kill Zelda at a lower damage.
Not to mention her other kill moves can be DIed out of and they still wouldn't kill Dedede for very long.
with a charcter the size of DDD, DIing out of her fsmash and usmash will happen very very rarely... as if she used Usmash to kill anyway. she has ONE kill move you can DI out of, all her other killmoves are big problems for DDD.
not really. you can sweetspot on his foot AND it'll only protect him if his back is facing you anyway. His fair puts up much less a defense against LKs.

maybe it's not an istawin for zelda, but it's CERTAINLY zelda's advatage.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Dunno, I'd recommend fighting Co18 Sonic, he'll show you the true power of a D3, Hes just godly with D3...

I'd have to agree with Co18 though, Neutral seems about right.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Dunno, I'd recommend fighting Co18 Sonic, he'll show you the true power of a D3, Hes just godly with D3...

I'd have to agree with Co18 though, Neutral seems about right.
I'd try it... my wifi lag is pretty evident, unfortunately, and I oly consider myself a pretty good Zelda. if he's amazing, what will that prove? that he can beat someone not as good as him?

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
I'd try it... my wifi lag is pretty evident, unfortunately, and I oly consider myself a pretty good Zelda. if he's amazing, what will that prove? that he can beat someone not as good as him?

Ah, Really just saying it so we can get some data on the matter, as your hard-bent on saying Zelda is a tough matchup for D3, but they are 50:50, maybe 55:45 or 45:55. If both sides can agree on neutral, then there will be no hardships, as both characters have equal advantages over the other.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Ah, Really just saying it so we can get some data on the matter, as your hard-bent on saying Zelda is a tough matchup for D3, but they are 50:50, maybe 55:45 or 45:55. If both sides can agree on neutral, then there will be no hardships, as both characters have equal advantages over the other.
except that's not the case <_<

I fail to see what advantages DDD has on Zelda compared to all she has on him.

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
Friendly discussion pl0x D:
And if you're saying something could it be possible to back it up with a video or data or something ;3

CO18

Smash Hero
How does zelda **** him in the air? Ive not once played a Zelda that almost did anything to me in the air.
Dedede's bair pretty much ***** all her aerials.

Ftilt comes out extremely fast and is not easily punishable. Even if you were to powershield it which is not easy you would still be out of range with any of zelda's attacks and if you try to close in youre just gonna get grabbed.

Dedede's dair basically is a savior from it since from what I know you have to be directly below someone to land it in which that case its close to useless.

Dedede can rack up dmg quite well with bair, full hopped dairs, inhale, ftilt, and not to mention his godly grab game. He only has to get zelda to about 90% before he can kill her with up tilt.

His back is facing you when he bairs?

And I definitley do not think its CERTAINLY zelda's advantage.

Maybe im not playing the best Zelda's or something but I havent played one thats given me that much trouble.

If you play wifi we can get some matches in sometime to learn more about the matchup and so we can see where we're both coming from.

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
May i play you CO18 D:
I wanna try the match-up too, but i'm just a decent Zelda, i think >_< pl0x *puppy face* :3

Top Bottom