• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Q&A and Discussion Thread: Our Bair is STILL better than Yours!

Shag

Smash Cadet
Yeah, i use to main Zelda. Problem is, it's almost impossible to beat a really fast falcon. GAwes destroyed me in multiple tournaments... and ganon, yeah chaddddd... don't even wanna talk about that (ps. don't pick Zelda on a good ganon). Best way to kill falcon hands down is wall of pain double lit kick at like 30%, wish i had a video of me doing it lol. becomes impossible as % goes up, it works on fox and falco at the right% as well; however, you have 2 fast fall in between jumps to get this it, either way, I got sick of 90 uairs into knee falcon combos and i don't play zelda much anymore, funny when you play someone who's never played a good Zelda before, makes the match a breeze (that's like 90% of how i use 2 do good w/ Zelda, no element beats "wow, i've never played a good zelda like yours before" lol)

TheLake

Smash Master
I think he means connecting Bair to Bair or Fair to fair at early percents. That is quite true but thankfully it at least works on like EVERYONE.

And captain falcon isnt THAT bad.

You can like combo with upsmash out of shield which = awsome

Zone

Smash Champion
Yeah, i use to main Zelda. Problem is, it's almost impossible to beat a really fast falcon. GAwes destroyed me in multiple tournaments... and ganon, yeah chaddddd... don't even wanna talk about that (ps. don't pick Zelda on a good ganon). Best way to kill falcon hands down is wall of pain double lit kick at like 30%, wish i had a video of me doing it lol. becomes impossible as % goes up, it works on fox and falco at the right% as well; however, you have 2 fast fall in between jumps to get this it, either way, I got sick of 90 uairs into knee falcon combos and i don't play zelda much anymore, funny when you play someone who's never played a good Zelda before, makes the match a breeze (that's like 90% of how i use 2 do good w/ Zelda, no element beats "wow, i've never played a good zelda like yours before" lol)
Lol, funny you say that. I got destroyed by GAwes and Chaddd in 2nd tourney in brackets and pools. GAwes 2stocked me, and Chaddd 3 stocked me. I wouldn't feel way to bad losing to them They won like every georgia tournament I went to besides TGMTSBCO.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Yeah I didn't really get how you kicked so fast...
Mindgames, that and the utter shock that I didn't die from that, xD. I think much faster than he does, so it wasn't that hard to try and get him to do something stupid.

Edit: Although it was so quick...I was like o_o. He's got good reaction, but mindgames, son. Reik once said his mindgames don't work on this person. Well...it's simple...I found a way to mindgame the mindless, xD.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
So you just avoid the uair properly and kick the hell out of him? Works for me.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Like oh my god necroposting.

So uh... am I crazy for finding Ganon much harder to fight than Marth?

Cia

das kwl
no.. Ganon is a range whore who can space you, but hit you 3x harder than marth. at least if you traded hits with marth, he'd lose everytime.. haha

TheLake

Smash Master
^ Truth

Ganons offense hurts like a billion times more than marths does

But zelda can hurt ganon pretty bad if she wants to. You just gotta get in there and kick that fishes ***! *Pulls out a pistol*

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Heh, I love you two. You know how to make Zelda sound like the bringer of pain or something... and I love it!

Ok, I'm glad it isn't just me, because I keep dying in five hits.

Zone

Smash Champion
^ Truth

Ganons offense hurts like a billion times more than marths does

But zelda can hurt ganon pretty bad if she wants to. You just gotta get in there and kick that fishes ***! *Pulls out a pistol*
So, by pistol you mean pick falco? >.>

D

Deleted member

kick his attacks. zelda's kick is disjointed, ganon's fist isn't.

TheLake

Smash Master
Ganons got a huge fist though...good for fistin stuff I reckon

Speaking of fisting, I want my name to be black too ):

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
ROFL, yeah...the kick is her best weapon against Ganon. I could be wrong, but I'd suggest retreating kicks to avoid ******** stuff OOS in case that Ganon decides to be smart. My friend actually has a decent Ganon when he plays seriously. doesn't help him one bit against my Zelda, xD. 3-stocked. (Shakugan 4-stocked him with his Peach...that was a while ago, though. My friend got smarter)

Impp

Smash Ace
So I learned that Zelda can jump again after doing a short hopped down air... Before hitting the ground.

And that it's possible to get 4 kicks off of two jumps. A Full jump of course. I mean like on FD I full jump kick (I use up to jump and the C-stick to kick), then as soon as I can, I double jump and kick, and I can get two more kicks off before I hit the ground. The last ones like right on the ground.

I just learned this today messing around.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Okay, now I'm going to ask an actual question, xD.

Can someone give me a few pointers on the Zelda-Peach Matchup? I CAN win it...but I need more experience with it.

On a side note:
My Zelda had the most amazing consecutive KO's in teams over the weekend. On CF and Marth. Caught the CF with a side step -> Fsmash, and then caught the Marth trying to go after my partner, so I caught him with a toe from below the platform. It was so quick, xD.

TheLake

Smash Master
Yeah zeldas a pretty quick team slayer if you kick some tons.

Give those turnips some love (neutral b) its fun

Zelda always has a rockin advantage over peach. Her kick outranges alll of peaches moves. If you land one kick always go for another. Peach has got a big ol booty.

Zone

Smash Champion
Okay, now I'm going to ask an actual question, xD.

Can someone give me a few pointers on the Zelda-Peach Matchup? I CAN win it...but I need more experience with it.

On a side note:
My Zelda had the most amazing consecutive KO's in teams over the weekend. On CF and Marth. Caught the CF with a side step -> Fsmash, and then caught the Marth trying to go after my partner, so I caught him with a toe from below the platform. It was so quick, xD.

I'm not sure where to start so I'll start with a few random bits of advice.

Try to avoid approaching kicks straight off the ground unless you know they'll hit. you know the ones you do ASAP to try and punish them quickly. Because peach has some really nice out of shield stuff herself. you'll want to be spaced away to avoid those.

Don't jump at peach from below if she's standing there on a platform above you. She's wanting to d-smash your face. So wait for her to panic and predict your approach with a d-smash. then punish her after she's still in move lag.

Don't ever just jump out and kick the peach. Atleast not you're first time. She'll just hover back a bit make you miss. and most likely get into the stage easier. do some empty short hops or something to make her waste her hover. When time is almost up, then proceed with the kick, or the edge hog.

When you shield @ a peach always light shield if you expect a down+smash or aim your shield down a bit.

Unless she's really far away, I wouldn't catch her turnips and throw them back at her. If she's at medium range. I suggest shielding it then a retreating kick out of shield. or something of that nature. If she throws a turnip at you while you're recovering and you're not quite ready to up+B cuz you know if you do now you'll leave yourself open to a glass full of punish. catch her turnip, and immediately drop it. like asap.

IF you see a stitch face.
DO NOT spam nayru's love out of fear. infact don't use it at all unless you see her doing the animation to throw it. or have time after it's thrown. If you panic you are going to get hit by it, after your move is done. I suggest play it not so scared. Because the main thing they do with it is to intimidate you. But on the other hand you can't just ignore it and full fledge offense. I'm saying you wanna stay kind of medium. Enough defense to avoid the turnip, but no so much that peach greatly limits your options and puts you in her game.

If peach has a bomb-bomb and you're ahead. GET RIGHT NEXT to her. If she throws it you're both going flying. If she doesn't throw it well you got her in defensive mode.

your uptilt beats almost anything peach has to throw at you from above, except a turnip. so if she's fast falling straight from above with d-air, up tilt her.

If she gets all up in your shield nayru's love out of shield. I tend not to do upsmash out of shield versus her because she has big enough lag in between specific moves she'll end up using that you can just nayru's and it sets you up most of the time at the distance you want her at.

Depending on how high she is. I sometimes dash at her. and If i'm confident she's high enough I can duck her d-air. I'll duck it then upsmash after her move is done.

That's my 2cents. From my peach experience.

I use to think I had something cool on peach. Because I found against a nuetral standing peach I could up-air her and actually hit her. And one time against a peach player I pulled of a up-air into grab at low %. And I thought it was a shield poke, but i'm not 100% sure anymore maybe my opponent just dropped his shield at that moment. I dunno. Because it could work even though up-air comes out slow because if you put the fear in a peach player of your foot. They'll hold their shield waiting for it. and often aiming their shield down to cover their feet. So that's why I thought up-air could be a good mix up. Well I must either 1.) doesn't work unless peach is doing almost nothing. Or I have my timing horribly wrong.

It's easier to help give advice if you ask more specific questions.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
This Peach is defensive...lots of Dash Dancing, and spams turnips when I'm off stage. Also floats out after the turnips....it's a real pain.

I can stop a lot of Dash Dancing with Din's Fire...I'm pretty accurate. Also, when too defensive, the Din's Fire also makes a nice way to put the Peach on the offensive. If I'm off stage...I'm almost screwed. Very accurate with turnips and such. Playing the patient game is a pain. It's also a very techy Peach, so the FC aerials come out quick. Sad to say....Peach is much faster than Zelda. =s

(Hearing myself say that Peach is faster is very awkward since I'm a Peach player. And I most definitely am not used to Peach being faster than (insert character here). Anyway...)

So all in all....I have to make the Peach approach me....Unless you have some other nice strategies for approaching =/

Cia

das kwl
^ LOLOL.

this is the melee section of the forum, but i am going to answer that question anyway as this is 'technically' the "Zelda Q&A and Discussion." Loop holes FTL. my lawyers and i will have to update the thread. :laugh:

vs. King Dedede

I find this match up to be pretty even. and depending on stage, it'll shift into on or the other's favor. Zelda's Smash attacks are good at penetrating his shield. try not to spam them as it will be really hard to kill him. but a frest Usmash should kill him at around 130%? learn the kill times and you should be fine. also, try not to use Dtilt. Dedede's game is to sheild grab. and with Bthrow doing 16% on average, it can be pretty painful. also. if you're of the stage and notice Dedede going for an aggressive edgeguard, teleport as early as you can, and preferably close to a landing. this will minimize damage. Feel free to spam din's fire on waddle dees and when dedede is far away. it'll refresh your other moves and dedede can't really do a thing about it.

vs Marth (Brawl)

it's not really good for zelda. Marth's attacks are really quick and because of Zelda's usual slow start up times, it can be hard to punish. Usmash out of shield is a good way tho. and at lower percents. Dtilt strings work nicely. the good think about marth is he's insanely light. try to bait him into using his Up+B. don't get hit of course. but you can Uair him at the height of that move and it kills him REALLY early. but like i said, the match is hard and Ryoko went as far as to say 'it's unwinnable for zelda.' but i'm convinced that if you space well and do quite alot of baiting, you'll do find.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
^ LOLOL.
this is the melee section of the forum, but i am going to answer that question anyway as this is 'technically' the "Zelda Q&A and Discussion." Loop holes FTL. my lawyers and i will have to update the thread. :laugh:
I dont know who your lawyer is, but I know who the court officer is around here. >.>

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Don't jump at peach from below if she's standing there on a platform above you. She's wanting to d-smash your face. So wait for her to panic and predict your approach with a d-smash. then punish her after she's still in move lag.
Uair > Dsmash. Disjointed hitbox should go through.

Unless she's really far away, I wouldn't catch her turnips and throw them back at her. If she's at medium range. I suggest shielding it then a retreating kick out of shield. or something of that nature. If she throws a turnip at you while you're recovering and you're not quite ready to up+B cuz you know if you do now you'll leave yourself open to a glass full of punish. catch her turnip, and immediately drop it. like asap.
Peach's turnips destroy Zelda. If you stay fairly close, she won't have time to draw one. If she does get any turnip, learn to catch. Don't throw them unless they're good though, dropping is faster.

Cia

das kwl
I dont know who your lawyer is, but I know who the court officer is around here. >.>
LOL.. way to edit my title.

but with that said, yes. plz keep this thread about melee zelda only.

(i'm actually just glad there are zelda players around here)

*Question*

Does anyone have anyweird superstition regarding Zelda?

for example. i think blue Zelda makes me faster and smarter. :rotfl:

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
I think White Zelda has better comboability o_O & Red Zelda Din's Fire actually manages to explode if she is hit :o

Zone

Smash Champion
Uair > Dsmash. Disjointed hitbox should go through.
Uh.. you have to jump before you start that and Peach's downsmash is faster than your up-air and you'll end up putting urself in her hitbox range. Unless you've already started jumping before she could finish a roll or something. But it's just safer to wait a second. But I guess this is really stage dependant. Might work in ur theory on Dreamland 64, not so much yoshi's story or Fountain of Dreams. I don't think even battle field.

why did you restate exactly what I already said about the turnip game >.>

for example. i think blue Zelda makes me faster and smarter. :rotfl:
I stopped using Blue Zelda, because everyone... is using blue zelda.

EDIT: LOL my Sig. ****!! why are you blue in my Sig zelda

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Stop it!! If you do that...then I won't be able to break away from Blue Zelda. She's like...she's like a drug.

Zelda vs. Jiggs:

I dunno...I need a lot of help on this. Perhaps I just need to get better with my Zelda in general. Still, I need to learn this match. The last Jiggs I faced 3-stocked my poor Zelda.

Cia

das kwl
i actually have more trouble with Zelda as Puff than i do with Sheik. the guy kept switching to Zelda to get an early kill.. lol.

But basically, you just wait for EVERYTHING. Time your Fairs/ Bairs with the ending of Jigglypuff's Fairs/ Bairs. it's pretty much an Air battle and even if you trade hits, Zelda wins :D

Top Bottom