• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Zelda Q & A / FAQs / Directory ~

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I've always thought of Zelda's "run" as polite brisk walk. Like when you have to go somewhere but you don't want everyone to know you're in a hurry.
Its so weird, but everytime I see Zelda run, I think "why isnt she tripping on her dress?" And then I trip T.T

Stupid Sakurai

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Depends on the damage output of the move... Din's Fire can only outprioritise an attack if it overpowers it by roughly 10%. A lot of aerials and attacks do 12% give or take... Din's max distance does 16%... hence it gets outprioritised. Transcendant aerial priority like Zelda's nair for example can't clank with it no matter what.

Even short burst din's can be clanked by jabs... simply because it does 8% whereas a jab does 2-3%. That's not a 10% difference.

Villi said this to me when he was still around. Don't know the validity of it but it seems to make the most sense right now. I haven't tested it.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Depends on the damage output of the move... Din's Fire can only outprioritise an attack if it overpowers it by roughly 10%. A lot of aerials and attacks do 12% give or take... Din's max distance does 16%... hence it gets outprioritised. Transcendant aerial priority like Zelda's nair for example can't clank with it no matter what.

Even short burst din's can be clanked by jabs... simply because it does 8% whereas a jab does 2-3%. That's not a 10% difference.

Villi said this to me when he was still around. Don't know the validity of it but it seems to make the most sense right now. I haven't tested it.
I guess that makes sense. But i'm still a little confused. What kind of priority does Din's fire has? Does the attack your opponent does hit box has to hit din's hit box for it to cancel? Also din's hitbox comes out in one frame right? After the start up lag?

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Lawl I got sigged xD xD

Din's has pretty crap priority it seems, and Im pretty sure the hitboxes have to clash for it to cancel.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Lawl I got sigged xD xD

Din's has pretty crap priority it seems, and Im pretty sure the hitboxes have to clash for it to cancel.
Okay that makes more sense, I was just curious because the move goes through different things like the pillars on Luigi's Mansion. Then i thought about falco's lasers and got confused. But now it makes more since because the only time the hit box is out is when the move explodes. If my opponent timed sn aerial it will clash. Right that's how it works?

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
There isn't any specifical percent difference to determine whether the two moves clash but the basic idea is that.

This is true although i'm not sure which ones won't cancel din's. How come there isn't a long *** in depth din's fire research thread?
Because most of the people think the move sucks and don't feel like going through all the trouble to examine it.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Im pretty sure there was a thread about what projectiles go through/cancel/get canceled by Dins

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
There isn't any specifical percent difference to determine whether the two moves clash but the basic idea is that.

To understand it's priority just think of it as a ground move, similar to many other projectiles like Mario's fireball and Pit's arrows. The only difference is that it's hitbox only appers for the short time after you let go of the button, before that it can't interact or be interacted with anything except solid ground, ceiling and walls.

Basically, Din's hitbox has to hit a character's hitbox before or at the same time it hits their hurtbox for it to cancel. If it only hits their hurtbox it will go through, meaning it is possible to hit Nairing Mario with it if you can aim Din at the correct height above him.

And oh, Din's hitbox appers on frame 9 after the moment you let go of the button.

Because most of the people think the move sucks and don't feel like going through all the trouble to examine it.
Hmm maybe we should explore it further. 9 frames after you let go off the button.

Im pretty sure there was a thread about what projectiles go through/cancel/get canceled by Dins
Na there isn't.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
How do you guys land the kicks?

The only real consistent way I land is jumping backwards (dodging hyphen smashes, dash attaks, etc.) and then DIing forward into a fast fallen one.

Ledgehopped.

And sometimes I intercept with it..

Any other specific ways to hit wit this baby?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303

The only real consistent way I land is jumping backwards (dodging hyphen smashes, dash attaks, etc.) and then DIing forward into a fast fallen one.

Ledgehopped.

You can sometimes ooS lightning kick somebody if they're tall and you've just shielded a laggy attack. There are also a whole bunch of situational tricks you can try; look in the Fairy Fountain thread for more info on them.

Other than that, you just have to use it and hope you get lucky. Unless your opponent is Bowser, Donkey Kong or King Dedede, don't expect to be landing too many of them...

Oh, and Bair > Fair. It's 3 frames faster, and kills 2% earlier.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
OoS Bair <3 Depends on the attack they used on your shield, the spacing and the height of the character.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
OoS Bair <3
Somehow I forgot about this.

And thx 4 the Bair tip. Thats something else I seem to forget.

KK, yea I just watched replays of myself to see if I can improve myself and one thing that immediately came to my mind was "Wtf, I rarely use the freakn kicks!". But now I see I'm on the right track.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You can also bair off of platforms if someone's coming at you from behind. Works especially well on stages like BF and Castle Siege.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Don't forget that you can buffer Fair>Bair, Bair>Fair and Bair>Bair all in 1 SH. Throwing this out as a mixup to your standard play can have different results depending on the player and character, but some people occasionally get caught off guard and you know what happens when you land a kick... it's painful. Just be wary that you suffer landing lag on the second kick buffered.

Platforms also definitely help, and there are some characters with bad tech options from a trip that allow you to tech chase into a lightning kick, but you need to predict and time stuff insanely well to do that so I wouldn't advise this.

Learning about character hurtboxes is also interesting... like jiggs and kirby as examples inflate when they initiate a mid air jump that grows their hurtbox... and DK seems to have it the roughest in terms of the size of his hurtbox and the places he can be sweetspotted... it's crazy.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Just keep your eyes open and try to find patterns in your opponents game and punish those. Do they like to ledgejump? Space yourself and punish with a kick or Uair. Do they attack when you shorthop towards them? Do an empty shorthop and douple jump into LK etc...

If your opponents don't have any clear patterns or you can't nail them from them the only thing you can do is just to learn to spot any openings and utilize them.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget that you can buffer Fair>Bair, Bair>Fair and Bair>Bair all in 1 SH.crazy.
This I forget. Ill play with it a little more.

Yea I like Zeldas platform game. I just find that Fair/Bair are a little too slow when attempting to hit someone on a mid/high platform because you have to full hop to get the height. So I usually go for the Nair/Usmash nstead. Yoshi's Island is one exception tho..

Mmm tech chasing with kicks. Lol I'm bad enough at tech chasing alrdy.

Darkmusician

Smash Master

Ledgehopped.

Don't kick where your opponent is. Kick where they will be.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Don't kick where your opponent is. Kick where they will be.
Words of ****ing wisdom.

I also do the kamikaze LK sometimes (except with luck, you won't die).... if an opponent is at high-ish percentages and trying to combo you, sometimes you can SDI out mid-combo and LK as they try to finish. It's risky, and you have to know the other character somewhat well (so you know what their followup options are), but I've killed a fair number of Pikachus by SDI'ing out of a uair > nair combo and kicking them.

Sometimes you'll trade, sometimes you'll just kick them without getting hit, but either way, it's in Zelda's favor.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Somehow I forgot about this.

And thx 4 the Bair tip. Thats something else I seem to forget.

KK, yea I just watched replays of myself to see if I can improve myself and one thing that immediately came to my mind was "Wtf, I rarely use the freakn kicks!". But now I see I'm on the right track.
That's not necassirly a bad thing. I don't think throwing out a bunch of LK is the answer. However using them to punish laggy attacks seem to be the best use of the move IMO.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Got it. Yeh Ive been trying these tips and I'm definitely landing more often. Now I use it a couple/few times a stock hitting like once or twice a match. Which isn't spectacular or anything, but way better hit rate than before.

Next question, implementing the tilts is my next biggest problem. Dtilt is easy enough.. the other two.. not so much.

I use my Utilt when my Usmash is too stale to kill. And I think it could be use to punish rolls? I haven't tried that yet.

I use the ftilt.. well about 3-5 times a match and get punished almost every time. I mean.. when it hits its great.. but it never hits. Either my opponent is just outside its range and I get countered (which I know is my fault, I need to learn the range) or it gets block (cuz its kinda slow..) and sometimes I get countered from that.

The big problem overall is I don't feel safe using them. Wuht should I do :( :confused:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Utilt is more for mindgame/trade KO. i've Utilt traded on peaches to get the off the stage as well as catch the airdodgers. Ftilt is bad, nuff said. i wouldn't worry about incorperating it too much. it can catch some spotdodge attemps and get some random KOs, but any situation your in where you could Ftilt Fsmash or jab hell even grab are usually a better option.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
If you kill with ftilt, you're.... doing it wrong. x.x

Ftilt is really situational. Mostly I just use it to catch people off-guard (if they're expecting an fsmash).... or by accident.... and sometimes you can space it against aerial approaches, but you have to know the range REALLY well.

It's only useful if you use it at its maximum reach, but it's so slow, it's not even worth it half the time.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
If you kill with ftilt, you're.... doing it wrong. x.x

Ftilt is really situational. Mostly I just use it to catch people off-guard (if they're expecting an fsmash).... or by accident.... and sometimes you can space it against aerial approaches, but you have to know the range REALLY well.

It's only useful if you use it at its maximum reach, but it's so slow, it's not even worth it half the time.
Use it against Marth.
It competes with his fair at times when angled up.
Other than that I dont really use ftilt. Situational kills I suppose.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Other than what's already been stated:

Use Ftilt for punishing. It can hit through most the multihits and also outranges many other moves, so it can be used against anyone misspacing their jab combo/slow ground move/aerial approach/something similar.

It's also a better choice than Fsmash in situations where you'd be changing hits with you opponent or there's a high possibility they'd SDI out of Fsmash and Dtilt is out of question. Those situations are extremely rare but they'll come along every now and then.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Use it against Marth.
It competes with his fair at times when angled up.
Don't do this.

Zelda's Ftilt is too slow and does not have enough reach to beat out Marth's Fair. That's asking to be murdered. Marth is 100% dependent on his spacing to make his aerial approaches safe, so spacing aerials is second nature to nearly all competent Marth players.

Top Bottom