• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Social Thread

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I also like when im coming back from high % i can use my fire to float me a little and block a path from the opponent coming to finish me, and i still have my jump afteri use my fire.
I personally need to remember that you can do this now without falling to your death. I haven't tried it much but it seems like it'd help zelda's recovery quite a bit (kinda like Doc's pills in melee, although not quite as good).
did you have problems fighting against any character? Marth, lucario, bowser, sheik, and mario are some of the fighters I think she may have a problem with.
I agree with marth and lucario. I usually lose to bowser as well but I think that she can go even with him and that I'm just not playing the matchup right yet. You can't go aggro against bowser or you'll die, so you need to use dins for a while until his percent is higher. Mario doesn't seem like he'd be too bad for zelda, but I don't have any PM experience against him. What makes it a bad matchup in your opinion?

Dopey

Smash Lord
ya the campfire is nice cause u get to float down an place a stationary projectile in their way which keeps u up an makes it safer to get back ^^ (i call it campfire ^^ trademarked!!)

the hardest matchup i found was sonic, cause hes just soo fast and up in your face, an if he can do all his cancels its annoying. i just found guessing where to put my toes, and placing campfires around me and alot of dash games worked well, i dont think i lost a game all night out of like...5 hours hehe.

that new overB of hers i think may be OP because u can set 3 of them wherever u want, 1 on the ledge, 2 bout waist high around u, they have to either get hit by them, or not approach, then u can spam them with more ^^ or UPB onto them(bcause upB hits people now soo good!)

i personally didnt find any of the matchups too hard for her, like vs sonic and lucario, shield grabbing still OP, and toe guessing worked well, and if they are off the edge, drop down some campfires and make them roll off the edge into a fsmash or grab, or they have to jump over them then get booted. and her utilt is niceeee now, dat range on it can hit through platforms , and downthrow to dash upsmash to jump nuetral is nice too, all her downthrows at low %s lead to tilts, and her jab now is really good cause its got range, and a big hitbox and obviously leads to dashgrabs or attacks.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
The reason why mario is pretty good vs zelda is because of his general mobillity, speed, fire balls, and nair. Fireballs are good for pestering zelda even with her nayru plus they get rid of dins. he can out camp zelda if he wanted. his short hop running nair is pretty good at removing dins too. And he has doc's fair that can KO pretty early. and if it doesn't ko it makes her go for the ledge where a cape is waiting.

OPTKeyo

Smash Rookie
Not that complaining on here will do much, but am I the only one that wishes Zelda's down B was changed to something other than her transformation haha?

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
You're not the only one. But this will make her so incredibly dangerous if your opponent counterpicks against her...use Sheik!

OPTKeyo

Smash Rookie
That's very true haha. Maybe if Zelda had a down B that'll help with her counterpicks!

OPTKeyo

Smash Rookie
You're right lol. I just kinda wish she had another cool, magic move like her other specials. Unfortunately, I don't play much Zelda games so I can't really give an example, but that's just my opinion!

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Here's a fun fun video for Zelda players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLYG4ZXlxTg
Wow nice! I never thought of multi banana stalling by throwing it on the ceiling. :bee:

Peach is super fun to do this with too because she does these and then some. It felt really good when I did a reverse "down underneath" (right bottom platform to left lower ledge) on temple.

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
How does Zelda deal with shield pressure, specifically when she is cornered on the edge of a stage? This may be more of a general melee question because I'm a Brawl player just starting P:M, but I was playing with one of my friends using ganon, and he would trap me at the edge of a stage and just pester my shield with spaced fairs and bairs and then wavedash away so I couldn't fair him and I didn't know what to do. I'm pretty bad when it comes to getting shield pressured in this game, so any suggestions?

Arcalyth

GLS | root
If you're at the edge of the stage, you can retreat to the ledge. Zelda has a pretty beastly ledge stall with Farore's Wind, can land a deadly punish with Fair if the opponent gets too close, or can jump off and throw out some Dins/teleport to a safer location (somewhat risky). You can also mix up your stall to get a relatively safe teleport to somewhere else on stage, especially vs Ganondorf with his low mobility.

You can also usmash out of shield (much easier to do if you have tap jump on). I'd imagine you can also teleport out of shield to escape pressure (with the opening hitbox) but I've never tried it myself.

When you see him approach (basically, if he wavedashes away you can probably anticipate either a reset or more pressure) then sidestep, or teleport away if you know when he's going to WD away.

If you can drop your shield quickly enough, throw out a jab, usmash, utilt, or ftilt. If you know you have a hard read, use fsmash or naryu's (jab is much safer though).

Always be looking for bad spacing so that you can shield grab as well. Perhaps you're in a situation where it might help to wavedash forward out of shield, then shieldgrab.

Just a few ideas :)

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
Okay, good ideas! I like trying the Farore's Wind option. Oos upb would probably work pretty good. Also, retreating to the ledge probably would probably work well also.

I think I have to get used to melee a bit more though. Shield pressure is probably my weakest area, just because I'm not used to the increased shield stun.

I'm going to a tournament this weekend and if I do well, I'll post vids. If I do poor, I guess I'll still post vids for critiquing.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger

Popertop

Smash Champion
You're right lol. I just kinda wish she had another cool, magic move like her other specials. Unfortunately, I don't play much Zelda games so I can't really give an example, but that's just my opinion!
Light Arrows.
She has them in basically every game, seems like an auto include to me.
But *shrug*

Also, sup?
I play Zelda, I'll have vids from my next tournament. I usually switch characters willy nilly, but I feel like going all Zelda just to nail the matchups down.

GL you guys.

-Pop

Edit:
This is exactly how I feel about it too.

Except I'm even more extreme to others because I think she could be as good as 7th

The hardest MUs I believe are Marth, Rob, and Maybe Sonic. But IDK, You know, it hasn't been out long enough to say exactly. But these three all take advantage of different weaknesses she has. Marth outrages her sorta and kills fireballs far to easily. Rob can camp her pretty well because he eats through din's, and sonic can overwhelm her with speed. (It was worse in 2.1) They all also have decent kill moves they can land on Zelda easy enough. To name a few problems.

right on, I feel the same way.

so here's my little spiel on who gives Zelda trouble, and why.

legend:
DF=Din's Fire
FW=Farore's Wind
NL=Nayru's Love

Ganon
I had trouble with the Man-Cannon at first, but you can space him out pretty easily
don't get caught in his shield pressure game, he'll kill you pretty early with it.
edge guard him hard, he really shouldn't be living if you can get a clean edge guard against him.

Marth
for all the reasons you stated
also his shield pressure is hard to deal with
can punish FW from many ranges, usually with a
high damage combo or kill (WD Fsmash, Usmash, Uair string)

Rob
his gyro is good at limiting zelda's teleport options
Nair and Usmash kill early, and have high priority (I still haven't found a way around them)

Sonic
He's ghey.
He's fast.
I hope they change him for 3.0
I seriously have no advice for this matchup aside from predict his approach and fsmash him.
Also his recovery isn't the best, you can get some good gimps off of Din's + Dair.

C. Falcon
Pretty much the same strategy as against sonic. Bait his approach and punish with
Fsmash, Fair/Bair. When you get a combo on him, go full ****** (nair,usmash, etc.),
build lots of percent and push him offstage, punish his recovery/spike him, repeat.
don't fall into a habit of mindlessly throwing out DF, he can quickly punish you fullscreen
with a death combo, just like sonic can.

Lucario
Lucario is yet another in the series of high-pressure characters with bad recoveries.
his shield is terrible as well, lots of shield-poke setups are much more useful against him.
DF in the way of his Up-B, most of the time you can at least pile on some serious percent,
if not get a clean stock off it. If you can read him, or if he has to go in a straight line, its not
that hard to spike him out of it. Safest way is to put a low-knockback DF in the way and just edgehog.
if he gets in he can combo you for a while, so be sure to get real good at mixing up your DI/SmashDI
so its harder for him to follow up. Generally if you can trade hits with him, he's losing.

Spacies (Fox,Falco,Wolf)
I don't feel to pressured against spacies, since I think we've all been so conditioned to expect what they do.
I generally feel safe just falling with a Nair or Fair/Bair to punish their approach.
Also, Usmash OoS helps to mitigate the pressure somewhat. I've learned to be very patient against spacie pressure.
Edgeguarding them is CAKE. Just plant a DF(Medium) in the way of their side-b, grab the edge,
drop down and get a critical hitbox lightning kick off their Up-b startup. Very free.
Also, if you don't have time to set up a DF, you can Dsmash illusion on reaction, Zelda's Dmsash very fast.
That being said, she does have a weakness against high pressure characters, but this is one matchup
I probably won't be switching for.
Watch out for spikes(falco,wolf) Usmash punishes(fox) and side-b combos(wolf)

Mario Bros.
Mario is really weird to play against. he's like this fusion between doc and mario,
honestly he's pretty good.
his moves have this strange priority, or interaction with Zelda that makes you have
to space really well. I have trouble spiking him, his Up-B has good priority.
Luigi I feel is secretly one of Zelda's worst matchups. His priority cuts through our moves
(Damn you Nair!) He's hard to edge guard properly. His side-b is pretty strong,
plus he slides out of a lot of lightning kick set-ups I have. I also don't feel like Din's fire gives
him that much trouble..

Shiek
Sheik might be hard, I'm not sure I haven't played a great one yet.
Fair kills pretty early, don't get caught near the edge with that.
Lightning kick shield pressure can neutralize Dsmash OoS,
just like against Peach (another high-tier threat that I feel is slightly free to Zelda)
Don't have enough experience to say anything else

PSI Twins (Lucas + Ness)
Here's where things get tricky. I feel like lucas and ness are pretty hard to get used to.
You can still abuse DF, its actually pretty hard to get good heals off without getting punished.
Ness is floaty, so some combos don't work on him, plus he hits pretty hard. You can NL cancel
to mitigate mid-range PK fire pressure, but his fair is pretty fast so he can come in with
DJC shenanigans and get in on you. the biggest thing for me in this matchup is he can edge guard
you with PK Flash. A lot of times its a guaranteed kill at 80%, and depending on how you recover,
he can make it really hard to avoid. If you NL, you can go through it, but I still die a lot to PK Flash
because sometimes its just not safe to use NL and he spikes you after anyway.
I still need to play a good Lucas, but he has some pretty dangerous moves in Usmash, Fsmash,
Magnet and Dair. He can kill you pretty early with a strong tech chase, and his pressure game is
better than the spacies I think. His recovery isn't very far, a lot like falco's. Try to place DF in the
way, if its big enough like (Medium) or (Large) it can beat his Up-B, it's kinda situational.
Same for Ness, I actually struggle a lot with how to punish Up-B, probably my weakest aspect
in the matchup so far.

Recently I've picked up Pikachu to deal with the PSI Twins and Marth.
I'm fairly comfortable in the rest of the matchups to stay as Zelda, those three just set me on edge.

The rest of the cast is pretty free against Zelda due to how fast they die to lightning kick(G&W/Puff), and how
laughably easy it is to spam them out with DF(Pikachu/Snake), or even Zelda's moves naturally doing well
against them (Pit).

There's my spiel. I'll post this in the matchup thread as well.

himemiya

Smash Lord
I know zelda at this point is balance and doesn't need neffs/buffs but she could a little push. I'd like to have a better chance of hitting the ground more safely then someone just reading my teleports/airdodges. Surely improving her b-reservsal shouldn't be an balance hazard.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
wouldn't you have to make Zelda's dash faster in order to buff b-reversal?

(I really don't know the mechanics behind b-reversal so someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Oracle

Smash Master
You would have to have to improve a lot of other factors including air speed. Her b reversal is already pretty damn good. Plus, with teleport and whatnot you have plenty of options to get down. If your opponent is reading you then you deserve to get hit; why should you get down for free because youre zelda?

SpiderMad

Smash Master
What about for wavebounces? Like making Marth's side-b wavebounce more backwards when wavebounced

himemiya

Smash Lord
You would have to have to improve a lot of other factors including air speed. Her b reversal is already pretty damn good. Plus, with teleport and whatnot you have plenty of options to get down. If your opponent is reading you then you deserve to get hit; why should you get down for free because youre zelda?
Because well I am zelda. Okay I get what your saying.

Oracle

Smash Master
it isn't just a separate value mad, its a combination of a lot of factors. besides, her b reverse is already really useful

SpiderMad

Smash Master
So for say Marth though to have a more bouncy wavebounce for side-b, it would require other factors of his gameplay to be different: =(

SpiderMad

Smash Master
He would need a faster air speed or more running jump inertia to have a better, or rather, longer wavebounce.
Really? I was really thinking those didn't effect it. Looking back on 1.0 to 2.1 to 2.5 Lucas they originally had his side-b to down-b wavebounce in full force like Brawl, nerfed it to do almost nothing, then restored it to do a little something close to a third of it's normal force in Brawl: but they must have just been tweaking the properties of down-b's multiplying extra momentum effect while the actual wavebounce of side-b was more or less the same (I think it was definitely better in 1.0 though, but that must have been an air speed difference).

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
If a move provides additional momentum on its own it can affect B-reversing and RBR'ing as well. Lucas's side B momentum did so in this case. Marth's side B does no such increase of his sideways momentum, but that would be another way to increase the length of his RBR.

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have the hitbox for Zelda's grab? That thing seems like its even longer than Marth's.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Well, looking at the statistics thread data for grab ranges (which was done by adding the largest x offset with the radius of the grab box), Marth apparently has a much longer grab range than Zelda. Marth is probably more vulnerable during his, due to him swinging his arm out compared to Zelda's grab.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Back in the day on smashmods, there was a thread that had Zelda's hitboxs and frame data. Anyway of getting one of those over here on smashboards

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Back in the day on smashmods, there was a thread that had Zelda's hitboxs and frame data. Anyway of getting one of those over here on smashboards
You mean link to it or make one for 2.5? No real need to port it besides making an updated one for 2.5: if you want people to see it you could just name a thread Hitboxes and post the link lol. Every character besides a select few really do need updated hitbox threads, animations and stuff they haven't said have changed besides everything mentioned in the change log.
http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-4642.html

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
Whoever is in charge of Zelda's design, it would be really helpful if nair always sent people in front of you instead of sometimes sending them backwards when you cancel it part way through. It's really annoying to land a falling nair, try to follow up with a grab, and then they land behind you and you miss.

Top Bottom