• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
Was in a tournament yesterday so I used Zelda to try out some of her new costume moves. Here are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofv8fvTs4V8&t=1m55s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofv8fvTs4V8&t=8m47s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofv8fvTs4V8&t=110m29s

This is just to get you some more high quality footage of Zelda. Would love to say that it was to show of my fantastic gameplay but as you can see I got a lot to improve. ;)
Ohhh thanks so much for linking. A good job, very impressed by the teleport and dodging. Obviously I don't have the game lol, but from what I seen, just be careful on the Dins. Up close it is sooo risky. Phantom was great, I think it should be used more as an "up close dins" if you will.
Awesome. Ness is tough.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
These look great, how'd she feel from your opinion?
She feels exactly like Brawl Zelda overall imo. So very easy to pick up. Just need to adjust to her new buffs and new game mechanics.

Ohhh thanks so much for linking. A good job, very impressed by the teleport and dodging. Obviously I don't have the game lol, but from what I seen, just be careful on the Dins. Up close it is sooo risky. Phantom was great, I think it should be used more as an "up close dins" if you will.
Awesome. Ness is tough.
ty man, yeah, noticed that as well watching again, a bad habit. But haven't practised Zelda for a long time :D it starts now!

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
She feels exactly like Brawl Zelda overall imo. So very easy to pick up. Just need to adjust to her new buffs and new game mechanics.

ty man, yeah, noticed that as well watching again, a bad habit. But haven't practised Zelda for a long time :D it starts now!
That's good to hear, I was really worried about how to adjusting to a completely different character. She definitely looks better though, can't wait to test her out myself in October.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Zelda will probably be loads better on the sole grounds that it's hard to be worse then Melee/Brawl Zelda.

Crudedude

Smash Cadet
So it was you who was playing her? Good job on beating sheik good timing on dins fast fire too (and teleporting) :). wish you used phantom more, at times it was a better choice then dins because you can control when you want it to come out (like when sheik was falling towards the stage). Did good on sheik. I think you could have won ness, gave up on opportunities. Happy to see zelda play thought it's like finally someone playing her.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
So I was just in practise mode with Zelda trying to see what she can do when she steals a ledge from the opponent and well...

I just sweetspot bair'd the **** out of it. It's hard but it's a setup to 100% get a sweetspot bair. Let that sink in.

This was against Fox so I'm going to try it against a few more chars and then get a video up but yeah I'm pretty hyped now.

Edit: Just pulled it off three times in a row so not that hard once you get how it works.

Edit 2: Here we go.

I tried it against Meta Knight and Diddy as well but it didn't work, I'll expand on that in another thread.

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
A playlist of another player using Zelda in a tournament that went pretty far too. Looking at all the stuff here, she doesn't look too much different than Brawl Zelda, so yeah, she'll be easy to pick up. But also better. Not sure by HOW much, but better.

Also, the guy's use of Farore's Wind is startling, I'm not even sure if this is a custom move of Farore's Wind, because it killed at around ~70-80% at one point. O.O

http://youtu.be/sV2z95qRNyI?list=UU5WNBHwgluAwWJE5QV-5_TA

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
A playlist of another player using Zelda in a tournament that went pretty far too. Looking at all the stuff here, she doesn't look too much different than Brawl Zelda, so yeah, she'll be easy to pick up. But also better. Not sure by HOW much, but better.

Also, the guy's use of Farore's Wind is startling, I'm not even sure if this is a custom move of Farore's Wind, because it killed at around ~70-80% at one point. O.O

http://youtu.be/sV2z95qRNyI?list=UU5WNBHwgluAwWJE5QV-5_TA
Nope, that's Farore's Wind in this game. A pretty reliable kill move one you start hitting the ~80% area on the majority of the cast!

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
^ Daaamn. Welp, time to learn some combos into FW then, if any. XD

Although it's going to be easy to punish if used incorrectly, but that's all part of the learning process. But so glad at the very leeeast FW got a major buff offensively and for recovery.

As for Din's Fire and Phantom Slash--

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
^ Daaamn. Welp, time to learn some combos into FW then, if any. XD

Although it's going to be easy to punish if used incorrectly, but that's all part of the learning process. But so glad at the very leeeast FW got a major buff offensively and for recovery.

As for Din's Fire and Phantom Slash--
Wait. Wait. WAIT. Isn't Zelda being similar to brawl Zelda a very, very bad thing? 0-0

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Wait. Wait. WAIT. Isn't Zelda being similar to brawl Zelda a very, very bad thing? 0-0
Haha, well. By the looks of it, her playstyle is similar to that of Brawl. Mostly trying to go defensive with her smash attacks and tilts, while getting early kills with stuff like Lightning Kicks. The gameplan is virtually identical.

HOWEVER, she may feel like Brawl Zelda, but judging by how she is being played as of now, she has gained and lost some tools in this transition. She'll still be doing stuff like D-Tilts, D-Smash, and Lightning Kicks. But I think her F-tilt and Jab are MUCH better, by the looks of the video footage to play defensively. She got a new kill option with Farore's Wind, and her grab game is... maybe better? D-Tlit into Lightning Kick or U-Air is very viable at higher percentages too. Although Din's Fire may be questionable (as it always was) to use, and her Smash Attacks may not feel as strong (IDK someone enlighten me if I'm wrong), I think the general idea of how to use her in Sm4sh is pretty much the same.

Not saying that she IS Brawl Zelda, but you know, will play similarly to her. But (FINGERS CROSSED) she'll be better. Maybe.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
^ Her smash attacks have the same KB as Brawl, I'm certain. It's a common misconception for people who try out SSB4 Zelda.

They just feel different/weaker because of the larger airzones in the SSB4 stages---ALL moves comparatively kill slightly later than their Brawl iterations (That contain the same KB as well) because of them.

Also, she's definitely already better SBphiloz4, try imagining her average (Mid-tier) MUs going from 40:60 in Brawl, to 45:55 or maybe even 50:50 in SSB4. THAT is the positive difference in viability she appears to be seeing. It's obvious there are still MUs that she'll struggle with. Like, considering MKs similarity to his Brawl self (Aside form slight nerfs to the usefulness of Nado and UAir.) that might still be a tougher one. Also, LITTLE. MAC. *cries* It looks pretty uphill...

Last edited:

MrEh

Smash Hero
In the past 2 games, Zelda only did ok against characters who were incapable of moving. Seems like less of a problem in this game, but it's hard for me to say atm.

Beats the alternative.

Did you SEE Melee Zelda? lol

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
>when people put Melee Zelda higher than bottom 5 lol

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Idk everything about Melee Zelda felt awful and slow. Feel free to disagree,but Melle Zelda only felt good with harder to DI Lightning Kicks (lol Brawl electricity lag) and Din's Fire + Melee drop mechanics.

Brawl Zelda just felt better IMO in general, but it wasn't enough to make her better compared to others. And this is what I might fear could happen for Sm4sh Zelda. :c

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I've watched everything I can and she seems to have a lot of potential. Really happy that she's looking better and that FW is insane now. I can't get over it.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Since everyone lives longer overall, I guess Zelda's relatively early kill potential is that much more valuable.
Combined with some nice buffs and actual combo ability, I could see her holding her own against high tiers. I don't see Zelda herself being high tier, not with her inherent character design flaws.

It's not possible to SDI out of her f-smash or up-smash, right?

Last edited:

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Since everyone lives longer overall, I guess Zelda's relatively early kill potential is that much more valuable.
Combined with some nice buffs and actual combo ability, I could see her holding her own against high tiers. I don't see Zelda herself being high tier, not with her inherent character design flaws.

It's not possible to SDI out of her f-smash or up-smash, right?
It's odd, I don't think I've seen people SDI out of them if they get hit correctly - but I have seen people get hit by the first 2% or whatever hit and then "fall" out of it, as if she hit them in a sourspot. But I do think that when she gets the initial hit right, it is impossible or at least much harder to SDI out of it.

I agree that her early kill potential on so many moves (still really strong knockback on Smashes compared to a lot of the cast, lightning kicks, Farore's wind, back throw, even dash attack has been given more kill potential this time, etc.) is going to be a valuable attribute in a meta where taking too long to get the kill is a big issue for many characters. The ledge mechanics benefit her more than a lot of other characters too, as does her really long ranged recovery in general since getting knocked way out to the edge of a blastline now comes with more fear of not being able to make it back from the increased distance. Just because her moveset is pretty static and limiting, I also don't think she'll be top tier - but I believe she will at least be a viable enough pick or counterpick now!

Last edited:

Crudedude

Smash Cadet
In my opinion Melee zelda is better than brawl, moves around better had some air and ground game, better reach what brawl zelda had was consistence ground moves but we wall know how consistence it was. After watching some zelda video I'm predicting zelda will more up a couple spots but who cares about tiers. I do predict that after a while she's gonna have a hard time with people again because they'll know about farore's wind and lightning kicks aren't consistent and is hard to utilize sourspot. Hands down zelda now has one of the best ledge guard games. Hoping that the wii verson will have some touch up and the 3d ds could update those changes. I've see that sometimes fsmash don't connect :( what a bummer

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Melee Zelda was a pretty gimmicky character with very little in the NA version of Melee.

But that's better than what Brawl Zelda had; exactly nothing against
a) characters not named Ganondorf
and
b) anyone that could SDI or dodge correctly.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Melee Zelda has similar weaknesses to Brawl Zelda but they are different in a few ways.

Melee's engine greatly improves Zelda's movement. Zelda's sweetspot fair/bairs have godly hitboxes and Zelda actually has a very good edgeguarding game a la dsmash, dtilt on characters like Falcon, and fsmash for those that aren't recovering low. Sourspot fair/bairs do 10%.

Oh yeah, Zelda has up throw chaingrabs on fastfallers and can up throw to sweetspot fair/bair without much difficulty on them too. Of course, Melee Zelda is awful, but not nearly as awful as Brawl Zelda.

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, she's an absolute blast to play (unless I happen to be fighting her very worst match ups)

Brawl's physics were like conspiring against Zelda's viability. No amount of increased knockback could save her there.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
The only reason why people would play Brawl Zelda is because they like her a LOT :)

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The only reason why people would play Brawl Zelda is because they like her a LOT :)
What do you mean by this? Are we talking about waifu-type stuff, fangirling/boying, or just 'cause people like her. If waifu, then have fun not wearing the pants in the relationship. :p

Anyway, since I don't remember using Zelda much since I preferred faster characters, I can't say. I will try her out more since she has that new Phantom Slash. It'd be interesting to see what's possible with it. Considering it's like another character since it comes out one character space away, it might be a good baiting move. Dunno, just speculation here.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
The new ledge mechanics alone buff Zelda incredibly along with her Up-B snapping to ledges. And then the general buffs/changes she received, i think mid-tier is perfectly plausible for her this time around.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
So guys, get hype. Over the next few days, I'll be working on giving the Zelda forums a little revamp, because I seem to be the only staff member that's even remotely interested in championing Zelda.

So, what does this mean for the Zelda forums?

- I'm going to be putting a LOT of time into the character and recording a lot of Zelda gameplay.
- Dedicated gameplay and social threads.
- Q&A with experienced Zelda mains
- Recorded gameplay section
- MU thread, community edited
- Skype group.

Who am I to run the Zelda boards?
UK Zelda player in Melee, regularly place at local tournaments with Zelda in Melee. I'm also taking Zelda to a Melee tournament on the 28th of September.

I have a very vested interest in the character in general. After I picked her up in Melee, I knew this was the character that I wanted to use. I plan to rep Zelda in Smash 4 at all the tournaments I can get to.

I'll likely be starting the work on these forums tomorrow.

Let's show the world that the Triforce of Wisdom is going to earn her place among the greats, eh?

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
So guys, get hype. Over the next few days, I'll be working on giving the Zelda forums a little revamp, because I seem to be the only staff member that's even remotely interested in championing Zelda.

- I'm going to be putting a LOT of time into the character and recording a lot of Zelda gameplay.
- Skype group.

UK Zelda player in Melee, regularly place at local tournaments with Zelda in Melee. I'm also taking Zelda to a Melee tournament on the 28th of September.

I have a very vested interest in the character in general. After I picked her up in Melee, I knew this was the character that I wanted to use. I plan to rep Zelda in Smash 4 at all the tournaments I can get to.

Let's show the world that the Triforce of Wisdom is going to earn her place among the greats, eh?
Thank you, I'm glad someone's interested c: So, what do we do now? XD

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
Thank you, I'm glad someone's interested c: So, what do we do now? XD
When Smash 4 hits, you play Zelda. I'll be doing a lot of the initial heavy lifting to get everything set up and will be ushering a LOT of time into Zelda, so it's really good to see that people are as interested as I am in her. Helping with analysis and things once the game comes out proper will be amazing, though, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it~

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
When Smash 4 hits, you play Zelda. I'll be doing a lot of the initial heavy lifting to get everything set up and will be ushering a LOT of time into Zelda, so it's really good to see that people are as interested as I am in her. Helping with analysis and things once the game comes out proper will be amazing, though, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it~
Ah alright, I guess I made that more complicated then it needed to be. Well, I can assure you I'll have no problem playing her, and if I can help out with Analysis then I will x3

Last edited:

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I've already helped a bit in the other threads and Zelda will most likely stay one of my mains for this game so I'm happy to be with you guys on this ride.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299

- Skype group.

Welcome! Glad to see another Zelda player in Melee!

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
All aboard the waifu hype train, guys. Choo-choo~

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
^ OMG that hype train. xD

Anyways, it great to see a staff member who's gonna rep Zelda. What the Zelda board could use is some new life to it, and new hands sounds like a good way to get that going.

The SECOND the game is in my home tho, I'm going to do a 100% data sweep in the game on ALL zelda's moves etc. I'll find out what's stronger, weaker, faster, slower, all of it. So I can help there. *determined face*

I am excited and ready to advance Zelda's metagame! I'm at your service! If only these last weeks wouldn't take so long...

Actually, anyone who could provide nice pictures or GIFs of each of Zelda's moves (preferably from the 3DS version.) would be really nice and I'd give them an interweb cookie. Looking at Robin's move thread, it looks really nice with GIFs of each move, so I want that too. xP We can't look lazy to the outside looker in!

Last edited:

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
I see a lot of Zelda dittos coming from this thread in a few weeks. I look forward to watching all of them. My top priority when I get the game is unlocking the specials for Zelda and playing around with them also. The unlocked characters will get their chance another day. :awesome:

I don't have a capture card but replays are sharable I think. I could send them to someone if they want to upload it for the thread. If replays are anything like Pokemon X and Y they should have a shareable code that lets anyone watch it also. It is going to be fun watching Zelda dittos with each player carrying a different move set.

Edit:

Actually, anyone who could provide nice pictures or GIFs of each of Zelda's moves (preferably from the 3DS version.) would be really nice and I'd give them an interweb cookie. Looking at Robin's move thread, it looks really nice with GIFs of each move, so I want that too. xP We can't look lazy to the outside looker in!
Serebii has pictures of Zelda's moves on his site.

Last edited:

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
Well, I have a capture card, so I'll be recording a lot of Zelda stuff and if people send replays to me, I can record them.

Interestingly enough, the Skype group for the Social Thread is doing a Boss Rush Crew Battle against me. And guess who I'll be using~

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
The first thing I want to do once I have the game is play Classic with Zelda in 9.0 intensity. Hopefully on the first try, no continues, without getting my ass kicked xD Going after Zelda's customs are probably coming after, so I'll be playing as her in Smash run xP And, if we can send replays, I'll gladly send them to you once I can. As long as they don't suck.... which they probably will.... but I'm trying xC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom