• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
I love this guy's reviews, but he sure did contradict himself a lot in this one :/

lol at the end "Not much point in writing anything here this week, everyone's already f*cked off to their favorite nintendo forum to talk about how I'm not a 'real' reviewer"

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
I was disappointed with this episode but it is one of the first I could relate to as I had extensively played the game he was reviewing.

I was hoping that he would at least make the game out to be enjoyable yet having flaws, like many of the other games he reviews. He did not, but he did give a fair viewpoint from a person who button mashes in fighting games.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Not my favorite of reviews but I did like it nonetheless. Most of his points are valid, the only one I have issue with is his prepping games for unlocks. While this is fairly true for the most part, the problem is that the opposite is problematic too as it would dramatically reduce replay value if everything was available from the getgo. Personally I thought things unlocked pretty **** fast from just standard play.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Because as we've already established there's only so good you can get by slapping your palm against a controller like a circus seal.
lmfao this guy is awesome.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I thought the review was pretty dman fin considering the time frame. Look at when most reviewers put up their scores. I bet gamespot and IGN were typing up their reviews before the game even released! That means they had only a handful of days to review a game that is suppose to be deep and full of tricks and stuff to find and unlock. They have a few days to experience everything and then write a review that is suppose to be written in stone for the rest of time.

Seriously, the rest of time. How many reviews giving Halo (for example of course) a bad score went back and changed their minds after it got popular? None. hat's not how it works. So, when someone reviews a game and you think, "They didn't give it a chance." well, they really didn't. They didn't have a choice!

Lastly, any review is just some guy or group of guy's opinion. If you take the score they give it as fact you will A) have contradictions when comparing it to other reviews B) have not taken into consideration that that's how they feel about the game. It's not a hive; we are different people who think differently. I tried to beat this into the ***** at gamefaq for years, that a reivew is only a biased opinion and not fact, but no one ever listens.

If you like Brawl. Fine. You're stupid, but fine. If not, cool. But don't get pissed at the reviewer because they don't agree with you. That's just juvenile.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Weird, I thought there was another thread... Well, anyway...

I'll say this:

-I definitely agree with him about Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog
-What he says about fighting games IS true, to some degree...
-I think I might qualify as "that guy", to some degree...
-LOL at what he said about Mother 3!

I knew he was going to tear the game apart, so I'm not mad or angry at him for what he said.

Plus anyone who IS angry is pretty much a fanboy t***, like he said. You can disagree with him, of course, but getting all pissed off and angry will just make you look stupid.

AlexX

Smash Ace
If you like Brawl. Fine. You're stupid, but fine.
Was it really necissary to insult those who like Brawl?

This was the one thing I didn't like about the Brawl vs Melee debates that went on here.. I can understand someone preferring Melee, but there's a difference between saying "I hate Brawl" and "Brawl sucks and so do you if you like it." And what do you know? The latter was most of what we saw...

Corigames

Smash Hero
Wow, I hate you guys. I suggest going to google and downloading MS Sarcasm filter 2.1.

Yeah, I said if you like Brawl you suck. I also said, "fine" for both. I was just throwing that in because I'm a jerk, Brawl pisses me off, and it's almost general consensus that all the new, inexperienced pricks that have joined up here in the last 3-4 months can only have absolute undieing love for Brawl instead of taking that little risk that there could be 1 game, any game from genre, that could be better than Brawl. But no. For some reason, all you new little F's think that you have to show us your love for the game for us to like you. No, just show me your skill. I don't care if you will fight for Brawl to the death as long as you fight me "to the death" in a tournament.

So, to the entire hive of new guys that thinks they have a right to get pissed whenever I or anyone else says "You suck," "No, you're wrong," or "You're dub," just shut up and listen. They were probably saying something that matters aside from that. And, if they weren't, it's not the ****ing end of the Earth. This is the god ****ed internet, there are going to be thousands of ***** out there trying to ruin your time. It happens. Deal with it.

I love how I can write a nice big paragraph talking about reviews and stuff but then a couple of new***s come along and pick out the concluding line, rejecting the rest of the well-formated, grammatical, and on subject post.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Forgive me for making the mistake since because you implied in another post you were not joking, I figured it was safe to assume that you were being serious. I "ignored" the rest of the post because there wasn't much else to say about it... You had a legitimate point and I didn't have anything to counter it with.

However, I should point out that I don't exactly have an "undying" love for the game. In fact, it's nowhere near the top of my favorites game list, but to be fair, when merely liking it is enough to cause people to talk about how much you "suck" for not preferring Melee, it's easy to take such a comment the wrong way.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I do generally say people who like Brawl are stupid, because most people just say, "It's more fun," or something intrinsical like that. If you like Brawl, and you have a legitimate reason for it, I have no room to call you stupid. If you, however, just say it's good because you were bad at melee or any other game, then you are **** out of luck for my sympathy.

Plus, 'm a ****. Everything that comes out of my mouth is suppose to offend you. That's my job... n00b.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
The only funny part was the "That Guy" part, because I know a "That Guy".

The rest of it just seemed like some scrub *****ing about the fact that he can't beat a level 7 computer.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
That Guy was hilarious, as was the mother 3 rant.

I know others said his perspective made him miss the other nuances we would've complained about (like tripping and camp heavy) but I myself feel like there were things he could have caught.

1. Limited background designs for Stage builder.
2. Disappointing/limited bosses and level themes in SSE. I wouldn't have been bothered with the more generic feel of the backgrounds if it weren't for the fact that we had about 6 different ones out of thirty something stages. Plus two fights with Ridley, while epic, didn't quite capture him, and the two original bosses were Expies of Kirby bosses (I don't feel like Tabuu is Marx mk. II, at least he fights different. But motivation? ARRRRGGGHHH ). And for Sonic being a last second addition to it, at least he MADE it, Toon Link, Wolf, and Jiggs were completely shafted!
3. Redundancy clause on Challenges. No children, I don't want to unlock this by playing some target test 35 god**** times.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
I do generally say people who like Brawl are stupid, because most people just say, "It's more fun," or something intrinsical like that. If you like Brawl, and you have a legitimate reason for it, I have no room to call you stupid. If you, however, just say it's good because you were bad at melee or any other game, then you are **** out of luck for my sympathy.

Plus, 'm a ****. Everything that comes out of my mouth is suppose to offend you. That's my job... n00b.
Dude, as someone who frequents 4chan I can safely say that you fail at trolling, even for current /b/ standards. That's saying something.

On the ZP review, I knew that Yahtzee was going to tear SSBB a new one. Sheepland + Fan BAWWWING + Drunken matches and unlocking = RAEG. It was hilarious though, incredibly so.

d0c926

Smash Journeyman
Some parts I agree with and some I don't. "That Guy" comment made laugh cuz out of my friends I am "That Guy".

Rash

Smash Ace
3. Redundancy clause on Challenges. No children, I don't want to unlock this by playing some target test 35 god**** times.
Well, how else would you establish records with all characters for target tests?

The game is helping you reach a complete 100% in every facet.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
That Guy was hilarious, as was the mother 3 rant.

I know others said his perspective made him miss the other nuances we would've complained about (like tripping and camp heavy) but I myself feel like there were things he could have caught.

1. Limited background designs for Stage builder.
2. Disappointing/limited bosses and level themes in SSE. I wouldn't have been bothered with the more generic feel of the backgrounds if it weren't for the fact that we had about 6 different ones out of thirty something stages. Plus two fights with Ridley, while epic, didn't quite capture him, and the two original bosses were Expies of Kirby bosses (I don't feel like Tabuu is Marx mk. II, at least he fights different. But motivation? ARRRRGGGHHH ). And for Sonic being a last second addition to it, at least he MADE it, Toon Link, Wolf, and Jiggs were completely shafted!
I think he only nitpicks like that when games he reviews need nitpicking, but in this case, I don't think he needed it.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
It wasn't my favorite of his reviews, but I didn't hate it. It was just as bit bland, as others have said, and it's understandable. Would you have a positive connotation with a game that so many people have whined to you for not making a review of it? Add to that Yahtzee's tastes in games (he never really struck me as a SSB player since I saw his first review and to add to that almost any time he reviewed a 1st-party Nintendo game he always made a (somewhat justified) note of how nintendo has a tendancy to overuse their main franchises), the time he spent playing it, and the fact that he's Yahtzee, I wasn't surprised by this review and it did make me laugh at some parts (Mario sledgehammering Peach ftw!). It just was a bit dry compared to his other reviews. Ah, but what do I know?

Anyway, at least we know have a less elegant term for someone who complains about the things that makes Brawl Brawl (besides tripping).

But yeah, most of what has been said in this post was already said many times prior, so I guess I didn't add that much, did I?

Top Bottom