• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Alt Costume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I'm so glad she got the orange costume she wears at the end of Zero Mission (the orange one, I think). It'll definitely be the suit I'll use for her, just like in Brawl (witht he textures).

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I'm glad we're seeing more alternate costumes, and Samus' isn't that bad. I hope this means everyone has at least one good alt though.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Haha, yeah. I guess I was wrong about her not showing skin. :p That said, I am (and would have been) far more supportive of her Zero Mission "shorts" costume than of a Justin Bailey leotard (with the emphasis being on leotard) costume.
A green and pink recolouring of this, though? Heck yes. :awesome:
...The leotard shows less skin than the Zero Mission shorts, sounds to me you're more pervy :happysheep:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Honestly, ZSS isn't really much more exposed than WFT, and isn't dressed in anything unusually skimpy by modern standards. This skin is also completely true to canon. Keep in mind that a lot of the same people who would describe ZSS's outfit as "exploitative" would also describe any sort of real-life attempts to keep women from dressing like this in real life as "repressive." I understand why some things might be OK in video games that aren't OK in real life,(video games aren't real) but I don't understand the reverse argument that appears to be present in this case.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Gee, I can't wait to play For Fun with floor-humping Alt ZSS and Thoron spamming Robin.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I enjoyed Zero Mission and Fusion over 10 years ago... so I have nostalgia for these. I'm happy with this update.

I actually would love to see Justin Bailey Samus from the original Metroid in as an alternate costume. That was my favorite suitless Samus... loved the pinks and the greens... I imagine she would be in a dark pink leotard with light pink tights. I also want to see Justin Bailey Samus and Palutena together in a Pic of the Day. :awesome:

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
...The leotard shows less skin than the Zero Mission shorts, sounds to me you're more pervy :happysheep:
It's not a matter of how much skin is showing, as opposed to where the skin is. Leotards go so far up the leg that it makes me too uncomfortable to look. The same applies to similarly styled bathing/diving suits, etc. :p I stated earlier in the topic that I'd prefer as little skin to be showing as possible, but considering that's no longer an option, this is certainly one of the better ways they could have done it.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I was sort of expecting this revelation, but I was expecting the Justin Bailey and the Super Metroid depictions first before these two.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
They're pretty dang sexy, I like them even more than the Zero Suit. I have a thing for seeing a woman's arms and back, so naturally I like this haha.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have not really dived into the Metroid series much but I was aware of the origin of this new alt anyway. I really like it, I think it will look even better in motion, since it fits a fast moving character like her anyway.

And I really wish people on tumblr and what not would stop using Samus for a feminist agenda. Seriously, this is the third time this has happened, and every time it's been obnoxious.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I gotta say after this PoTD all I've seen are people saying "the feminists are coming" and "the feminazis are gonna b*tch about this" which kinda annoys me cause I've seen no one complain about it that didn't have a logical argument. I gotta say I'm a feminist and I like being one and I also like the look of this costume. It looks comfy, easy to fight in and sporty and I'm planning on using it more than the Zero Suit. That being said there are problems with it like the way it curves around the breasts to accentuate them when no sports bra on this earth does that or that fact that Samus has such little muscle for a super soldier or that fact that her spine is made of rubber.
So in closing stop talking about feminism like its a bad thing people should be allowed to point out problematic behaviour.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
that fact that her spine is made of rubber.

Also, it's not that feminism is inherently bad, it's that the majority of "feminism" I'm seeing surrounding this fiasco is mindless whining for whining's sake.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
I like her alternate costume. It makes her seem like she is going to the gym. When I use her, i'll be using that alternate costume.

R0Y

Smash Master
It's not a matter of how much skin is showing, as opposed to where the skin is. Leotards go so far up the leg that it makes me too uncomfortable to look. The same applies to similarly styled bathing/diving suits, etc. :p I stated earlier in the topic that I'd prefer as little skin to be showing as possible, but considering that's no longer an option, this is certainly one of the better ways they could have done it.
A bit prudish don't you think? Ever seen a woman at the gym or on the beach? Skin is natural.

I gotta say after this PoTD all I've seen are people saying "the feminists are coming" and "the feminazis are gonna b*tch about this" which kinda annoys me cause I've seen no one complain about it that didn't have a logical argument. I gotta say I'm a feminist and I like being one and I also like the look of this costume. It looks comfy, easy to fight in and sporty and I'm planning on using it more than the Zero Suit. That being said there are problems with it like the way it curves around the breasts to accentuate them when no sports bra on this earth does that or that fact that Samus has such little muscle for a super soldier or that fact that her spine is made of rubber.
So in closing stop talking about feminism like its a bad thing people should be allowed to point out problematic behaviour.
??? It has to curve around her breasts, if that's what you mean, it's a very tight sports bra, I don't see it.

To be fair, I think it's concentrated in her Gluteus Maximus :troll:and women naturally have/show less muscle mass than men. Bodybuilder women often take steroids or other growth enhancements. That's why so many female East German won so many medals, a state-sponsored doping program.

I agree about the spine, but there's nothing sexual about that, that's just messy model animation work :p

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord

Also, it's not that feminism is inherently bad, it's that the majority of "feminism" I'm seeing surrounding this fiasco is mindless whining for whining's sake.
agh I forgot the stupid morph ball. Love the picture btw that's gonna make me giggle for days to come. I wouldn't really say that the majority of feminism just the loud few talking over the level headed ones.

??? It has to curve around 2 large buldges, if that's what you mean, that's normal.

To be fair, I think it's concentrated in her Gluetus Maximus and women naturally have/show less muscle mass than men. Bodybuilder women often take steroids or other growth enhancements. That's why so many female East German won so many medals, a state-sponsored doping program.

I agree about the spine, but there's nothing sexual about that, that's just messy model animation work :p
well if you look at the PoTD the sports bra curves IN around the breasts which looks really weird and sexualised. I suppose you're right about the muscle mass but Samus is a super soldier and I'd expect at least visible abs.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The spine thing is actually an animation technique that I can't remember the name of for the life of me, but there was a detailed post (which I can't find right now) I read showing how it was apparent across the board in Smash 4 (and in past Smash games), not just on ZSS.

The only reason it looks awkward is because, well, the screenshot was taken mid-animation. It's not messy model animation work, it's correct practice for the slapstick look they are going for. The awkwardness you are seeing is no different to a mid-blink:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
people should be allowed to point out problematic behaviour.
I don't disagree with that particular sentiment, but pointing out "useless whining" and other outright crazy crap is pointing out problematic behavior.

and women naturally have/show less muscle mass than men. Bodybuilder women often take steroids or other growth enhancements.
This too. Samus is well in line with what I see when I go to the gym. Normal not-drugged athletic women look like that.

R0Y

Smash Master
well if you look at the PoTD the sports bra curves IN around the breasts which looks really weird and sexualised. I suppose you're right about the muscle mass but Samus is a super soldier and I'd expect at least visible abs.
I guess you mean in the centre? Yeah, both breasts are sort of held in place on their own. I don't think that's a huge issue though.

Visible abs on a woman is not easy unless your body fat is extremely low as well. Beyond that, it's not necessarily something most women would desire anyway.

Women generally have naturally higher body fat percentages than men do after all, and I don't think Zamus is an exception.

Unlike a Rosalina or Peach, Zamus is built big, like, football player size, that's part of the super-soldier part. Her hands and feet are absolutely enormous, she doesn't look like she has a crazy-low body fat percentage either. She looks extremely statuesque, superhuman, and athletic as is already, I don't think she needs something like that that almost never happens. She's not an olympic weightlifter, more a general olympic athlete-type.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
A bit prudish don't you think? Ever seen a woman at the gym or on the beach? Skin is natural.
When I mentioned that I wanted as little skin to show as possible, I explained that it was because I'd rather no more controversy be created surrounding ZSS and her sexualisation. :p However, I do also take issue with sexualisation because it can make the game uncomfortable to play around other people and because it generally inspires thoughts of objectification and desire, which I want to avoid as much as possible as per my morals. I never said I don't like skin or think it's unnatural; however, my ideal Smash would be one that does not feature anything designed to appeal to sexual desires.
Also, being in public and seeing women in revealing clothing does make me feel uncomfortable. This doesn't mean I don't find skin attractive or am afraid of girls or anything like that. :p Girls are fine and the human body is fine. I just dislike being put in a situation where I have to suppress immoral thoughts.

It would be more accurate to say that I don't have an issue with clothing that shows skin (to a degree); rather, I have an issue with sexual features being emphasised. As such, the only thing that really bothers me about her "shorts" outfit is the way in which it curves unnaturally around her chest (which is due to her base zero suit model also doing that).
The problem I have with leotards is that they show too much skin around an area of the body that I deem inappropriate to expose outside of an intimate relationship.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I guess you mean in the centre? Yeah, both breasts are sort of held in place on their own. I don't think that's a huge issue though.

Visible abs on a woman is not easy unless your body fat is extremely low as well. Beyond that, it's not necessarily something most women would desire anyway.

Women generally have naturally higher body fat percentages than men do after all, and I don't think Zamus is an exception.

Unlike a Rosalina or Peach, Zamus is built big, like, football player size, that's part of the super-soldier part. Her hands and feet are absolutely enormous, she doesn't look like she has a crazy-low body fat percentage either. She looks extremely statuesque, superhuman, and athletic as is already, I don't think she needs something like that that almost never happens. She's not an olympic weightlifter, more a general olympic athlete-type.
Good points you've convinced me. I also really hope in future games they stick with the 6'3 height and not the Other M 5'5 with platform heels cause that's one of the only things I didn't like what they did with Samus in that game and tall women give me LIFE.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I like her new costume because Zero Samus now has a womens wrestling attire.

Samus for WWE 2k15, lol.

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
I have not really dived into the Metroid series much but I was aware of the origin of this new alt anyway. I really like it, I think it will look even better in motion, since it fits a fast moving character like her anyway.

And I really wish people on tumblr and what not would stop using Samus for a feminist agenda. Seriously, this is the third time this has happened, and every time it's been obnoxious.
Not as obnoxious as Sakurai using his female designer to shield himself from criticism. I guess Senran Kagura would also be free from criticism, as long as it's made by women?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not as obnoxious as Sakurai using his female designer to shield himself from criticism. I guess Senran Kagura would also be free from criticism, as long as it's made by women?
The fact that he mentioned it was a female designer only goes to show he knows how ridiculously low feminism has fallen. He knew there would be controversy over putting her in a sports bra-like piece of clothing, even though it's a genuine call back to a game.

It should also be noted that his words imply that he himself initially declined making the costume.

Any criticism made against it that I've seen has been really low brow and desperate.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I actually found the discussion about Samus alt costume kind of interesting mostly because of how my reaction to Samus was almost neutral in regards to the costume itself, where if they would have done that same to say Peach, Zelda, or most of the other females I would of had a more negative reaction. So much so that I ended up writing a couple of pages on it.

Since I've already done that I'll just post a link so I don't have to restate a lot of points: tinyurl.com/lwlkt96

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
The fact that he mentioned it was a female designer only goes to show he knows how ridiculously low feminism has fallen. He knew there would be controversy over putting her in a sports bra-like piece of clothing, even though it's a genuine call back to a game.

It should also be noted that his words imply that he himself initially declined making the costume.

Any criticism made against it that I've seen has been really low brow and desperate.
Take your sexist agenda back to youtube, it doesn't belong here. Misogyny has gone so far that people are making pre-emptive attacks on anyone with a different opinion. Have you even been to tumblr? I checked 5 seconds ago. The positive responses heavily outweigh the negative. Where is this "controversy" you are so afraid of? Because I see none.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Take your sexist agenda back to youtube, it doesn't belong here. Misogyny has gone so far that people are making pre-emptive attacks on anyone with a different opinion. Have you even been to tumblr? I checked 5 seconds ago. The positive responses heavily outweigh the negative. Where is this "controversy" you are so afraid of? Because I see none.
Are you kidding me? One look in the "super smash bros" tag gets you tons of people whining about this costume for the silliest reasons:

http://prettycaterpie.tumblr.com/post/95276452853/super-long-rant
http://autodach64.tumblr.com/post/95271483952/new-screenshot-from-smash-bros-u-because

Two examples of it I found with little scrolling. I saw plenty yesterday though.

But insinuating that a sports outfit, that was SPECIFICALLY worn by the character before, is done purely for sexualisation (like "pro-active feminists" on the internet claim).

And guess who else wore something similar, and none of you said a word?

And nobody complained about this either, yet it's not OK for Samus to wear a skin tight suit:

Samus is being used as an "example" by SJWs, and it baffles me as to why. It just goes to show how they will cling to anything for an excuse to argue. First it was "LITTLE MAC PUNCHED SAMUS, SMASH BROS ENCOURAGES DOMESTIC ABUSE AGAINST WOMEN". Then it was "HEELS, DOWN WITH THE PATRIARCHY". Now it's "SHE'S WEARING A SPORTS OUTFIT THAT SHE HAS WORN BEFORE, THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE".

And then they shut their faces when Nintendo announces a variety of female character for both Smash and Hyrule Warriors, as if their problem with Samus never existed.

SJWs are fickle and ditzy.

Last edited:

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
Are you kidding me? One look in the "super smash bros" tag gets you tons of people whining about this costume for the silliest reasons:

http://prettycaterpie.tumblr.com/post/95276452853/super-long-rant
http://autodach64.tumblr.com/post/95271483952/new-screenshot-from-smash-bros-u-because

Two examples of it I found with little scrolling. I saw plenty yesterday though.

But insinuating that a sports outfit, that was SPECIFICALLY worn by the character before, is done purely for sexualisation (like "pro-active feminists" on the internet claim).

And guess who else wore something similar, and none of you said a word?
A misogynist wants to be lectured? Business as usual I guess.

http://ctchrysler.tumblr.com/post/95198687657/itd-be-cool-if-she-were-her-old-63-powerhouse
http://chaofanatic.tumblr.com/post/95199782265/tumblrs-ideal-zero-suit-samus-outfit
http://offside-goal.tumblr.com/post/95239833442/nintendo-puts-a-lot-of-female-characters-in
http://polarityplus.tumblr.com/post/95266195809/in-keeping-with-this-months-smash-bros-theme
http://roninkairi.tumblr.com/post/95196434694/a-brief-history-lecture

Only pro-alt/strawman feminist/feminist complaints.

Why don't you misogynists focus on REAL problems like the wars in the middle east, instead of complaining about ranom peoples opinions? Oh right! "The feminist agenda". It's the biggest threat right now.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
A misogynist wants to be lectured? Business as usual I guess.

http://ctchrysler.tumblr.com/post/95198687657/itd-be-cool-if-she-were-her-old-63-powerhouse
http://chaofanatic.tumblr.com/post/95199782265/tumblrs-ideal-zero-suit-samus-outfit
http://offside-goal.tumblr.com/post/95239833442/nintendo-puts-a-lot-of-female-characters-in
http://polarityplus.tumblr.com/post/95266195809/in-keeping-with-this-months-smash-bros-theme
http://roninkairi.tumblr.com/post/95196434694/a-brief-history-lecture

Only pro-alt/strawman feminist/feminist complaints.

Why don't you mysogynists focus on REAL problems like the wars in the middle east, instead of complaining about ranom peoples opinions? Oh right! "The feminist agenda". It's the biggest threat right now.
I'm not a mysogynist, I'm just not ignorant and selective about my ideals, unlike how you seem to be, since you basically backed me up with those links (and posted...fan art? That was just made in tribute to her and had no point to make at all?....). Also, where's your lecture? I don't see one...

And I find it hilarious when you're telling me to focus on real problems, when you're the one who has a problem with a the wardrobe of a video game character, to the point where you are arguing with others.

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
I'm not a mysogynist, I'm just not ignorant and selective about my ideals, unlike how you seem to be, since you basically backed me up with those links (and posted...fan art? That was just made in tribute to her and had no point to make at all?....). Also, where's your lecture? I don't see one...

And I find it hilarious when you're telling me to focus on real problems, when you're the one who has a problem with a the wardrobe of a video game character, to the point where you are arguing with others.
In case I need to remind you:

Misogyny has gone so far that people are making pre-emptive attacks on anyone with a different opinion. Have you even been to tumblr? I checked 5 seconds ago. The positive responses heavily outweigh the negative. Where is this "controversy" you are so afraid of? Because I see none.
I've proven my point. Go back to youtube, the Internet Aristocrat misses you.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In case I need to remind you:

I've proven my point. Go back to youtube, the Internet Aristocrat misses you.
I'm not making pre-emptive attacks on anything, simply speaking on the incredibly poor arguments against the costume I've seen. The only one pre-emptively attacking people are the ones claiming Sakurai doesn't respect female characters, and you, calling me a misogynist for no reason at all.

misogynist
mɪˈsɒdʒ(ə)nɪst/
noun
plural noun: misogynists
  1. a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against women.
I'll have you know I have quite a few female friends and have nothing against them. I just despise the idea of feminism powered by hate. It's why I do not identify as feminist anymore (I used to), as the original meaning of it has been trampled on by modern SJWs, so I may as well abandon that label - I identify as egalitarian. Meaning I call out injustice/unjustified hate and discrimination when I see it, which would include anything against men OR women. You are displaying hate towards anyone who likes/doesn't see a problem with the new costume for Samus, claiming they are sexist misogynists without a second thought.

Take your hate/flaming agenda to Youtube, where it belongs.

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
I'm not making pre-emptive attacks on anything, simply speaking on the incredibly poor arguments against the costume I've seen. The only one pre-emptively attacking people are the ones claiming Sakurai doesn't respect female characters, and you, calling me a misogynist for no reason at all.

misogynist
mɪˈsɒdʒ(ə)nɪst/
noun
plural noun: misogynists
  1. a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against women.
I'll have you know I have quite a few female friends and have nothing against them. I just despise the idea of feminism powered by hate. It's why I do not identify as feminist anymore (I used to), as the original meaning of it has been trampled on by modern SJWs, so I may as well abandon that label - I identify as egalitarian. Meaning I call out injustice/unjustified hate and discrimination when I see it, which would include anything against men OR women. You are displaying hate towards anyone who likes/doesn't see a problem with the new costume for Samus, claiming they are sexist misogynists without a second thought.

Take your hate/flaming agenda to Youtube, where it belongs.
I'm truly sorry for calling you a misogynist. I have trouble seeing the difference between misogynists and misogynist huggers. I find it very hard to believe that you of all people would call out injustice when you are attacking and grouping people from a very diverse political movement together. You also believe in a feminist agenda, probably believing that feminists is going to ruin the game industry or something.

And I really wish people on tumblr and what not would stop using Samus for a feminist agenda.
I criticized Sakurai for using a PC coverup, and what do you do? Blame feminists.

Also, me? Attacking people for liking the alt? I like the alt too, it's a nice callback to the GBA games.

There are so many sites for misog-.. feminist critics and devils advocates to join. Have you tried Reddit?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom