• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

Adapt

Smash Lord
In all honesty I don't know, I don't use down-B unless someone is coming out to gimp me, (invincibility frames ftw) I never seem to need it to actually make it back to the stage.
After thinking about it, I think it might be to dissuade people from trying to gimp you. The down-B kick has a long lasting high priority hitbox. But that explanation doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I generally only kick out of down b if there's someone in my comfort zone, although I'll echo Cake's remark that a large part of it is a kneejerk reaction that most people try to overcome.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Also let me rephrase why it's a reflex: if you're using the jump as a recovery, it's hard to time your next action effectively because it's harder to recognize when the jump has finished. If you press a button too early, you find yourself kicking for an indescribably longer period of time than you normally would if you did it immediately.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Why do ZSS players consider her AAA combo to be bad? I find this move to be seriously amazing and I use it very often as a primary way to get out of difficult situations and punish opponents from rolls. It's SO fast. Possibly 1 or 2 frames of startup, which is very useful for a poke.

Adapt

Smash Lord
every character except for 3 (jiggs, GaW, and squirtle) can shield the third hit and punish you with a shieldgrab

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Right. In that case I'll have to overcome my habit of using it on reaction.

What's the best substitute? Utilt and running attack are very fast but unsafe on block.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
After a single jab, I try to go for an ftilt or utilt, then mix it up with more jabs. ZSS hasn't many options up close, but if you mix it up, you at least have that on your side.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Right. In that case I'll have to overcome my habit of using it on reaction.

What's the best substitute? Utilt and running attack are very fast but unsafe on block.
you can still use it as long as you aren't predictable. keep switching it up with dtilts, ftilts and jab cancels

ftilt and dtilt are much safer options than utilt because of less ending lag

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I tested it a bit more and I found that Rob and Toon Link can't shield her jab...

And like squirtle, she can get free jabs off on grab-released opponents due to her jab coming out on frame 1.

Also, a single jab is safer than 2. Characters with jabs as fast as Snake can't punish you if you do a single jab then shield.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Because I am a somewhat sleepy idiot, I posted this in the wrong place at first, but here it is.

Quick question regarding whip glitches.

When I was just fooling around in the Home-Run Contest, I used Side B facing to the right. What was weird was that the whip became flat (like when it hooks on to an edge) and horizontal, and laid on the floor for a quick moment. Then I turned around and used Side B again, except for this time the whip was invisible, but still hit Sandbag! You could see where it hit--all the little sparks and everhing, but not the flashing tip--and then I ran out of time soon after, running off the stage due to button mashing and being weirded out.

Are there many whip glitches like this? I second ZSS and I wouldn't want a glitch like this to interrupt my moves, although I suppose it has it advantages (the invisble Side B). I saved a replay of it, but I'm not exactly how to post a replay on the computer and if I'll even be able to do it because of my terrible dial-up connection.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
There have been reports of whip glitches like this involving Plasma Whip, such as length extension up to the size of FD. Currently there is no way to replicate them.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Thanks for replying so quickly. It was quite a surprise when it happened. When you use one of Zamus' taunts (The one where she brandishes her whip in front of her) in the rest area of the All-Star/Boss Battles mode, some of the sparks appear very far away. It's strange.

Oh, and I'm sorry if there are any grammatical erros in my posts, the keyboard I'm typing on is not the best. (By the way DeliciousCake, I love your sig.)

Taso

Smash Apprentice
It requires impeccable timing, but if you're in a position to do it, most ZSuiters would not hesitate to try it. It's a very effective kill at certain percentages.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Are there many whip glitches like this? I second ZSS and I wouldn't want a glitch like this to interrupt my moves, although I suppose it has it advantages (the invisble Side B). I saved a replay of it, but I'm not exactly how to post a replay on the computer and if I'll even be able to do it because of my terrible dial-up connection.
Most commonly you'll have the whip extend to ledges you don't want it to on stages like Jungle Japes and Hanenbow. Other than that, no consistent way of getting this glitches to work exists.

I don't want to start a new thread for this but...

Dsmash over the edge to Space jump spike.

Is this commonly done?
Snakeee made a post about this in the video thread. It's not done very commonly, but it's known of.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
It requires impeccable timing, but if you're in a position to do it, most ZSuiters would not hesitate to try it. It's a very effective kill at certain percentages.
I find it really easy, especially on larger characters. It's a really great way to get mid-damage KOs.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
When you dair with ZSS after getting hit, she doesn't zip down automatically.

Is there a way to do this without taking an initial hit?

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Hey guys, just wondering, would it work to do something like this.
Use the F-air, but land so the second kick does not come out, the opponent must be on the ground, then use a d-tilt or something, I have'nt got a human handy right now, but my presumption is that the hitstun of the first hit which is meant to keep the foe in place for the second will let you follow up with another attack, it is just if the landing lag is too great for this to work.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
the landing lag on the fair is pretty **** bad, so I'm assuming that doesn't work. I'm pretty sure I tried doing that when I was compiling a list of possible combos, and it's not on that list. Besides, you'd be better off using the n-air, since it's much safer if you hit the shield.

eDiT: rafflez, I got it to work with Jab... sweet 8 dmg combo! d:

Clevr

Smash Apprentice
Does Zamus have a Boost Up Smash like other characters? Or just a running Up Smash? (Example: Snake's Sliding Up Smash, Link's Sliding Up Smash - Both travel much farther than just dashing and tapping the C stick up).

When entering a tournament, and selecting your character as Samus, must you tell your opponent you're going to be playing as ZSS? Can you start out as Samus in a tournament and then U to D to U *taunt* mid-game and become ZSS? If you select Samus, and don't show them that you're holding Shield, are you allowed to not tell them whther you're playing as Samus or ZSS?

How many characters does the D Smash lock performed in Ikki's video work on? Is it percent specific?

Who is ZSS really good against?

Thanks.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Does Zamus have a Boost Up Smash like other characters? Or just a running Up Smash? (Example: Snake's Sliding Up Smash, Link's Sliding Up Smash - Both travel much farther than just dashing and tapping the C stick up).

When entering a tournament, and selecting your character as Samus, must you tell your opponent you're going to be playing as ZSS? Can you start out as Samus in a tournament and then U to D to U tilt mid-game and become ZSS?

How many characters does the D Smash lock performed in Ikki's video work on? Is it percent specific?

Thanks.
ZSS does not have a boost smash sadly...:(

It probably depends on the individual tournament rules, but yeah, you can transform in mid-match, otherwise you have to declare the Tournament organizer an idiot, but it takes a long time, so I would do it at your own risk.

The d-smash lock works best on Fox and Wolf, but Sheik and Captain Falcon can be stuck at low percentages too, but I think the Dsmash must be degenerated.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Nope.

When entering a tournament, and selecting your character as Samus, must you tell your opponent you're going to be playing as ZSS? Can you start out as Samus in a tournament and then U to D to U *taunt* mid-game and become ZSS? If you select Samus, and don't show them that you're holding Shield, are you allowed to not tell them whther you're playing as Samus or ZSS?
Actually, your opponent can figure that out on the stage select screen by looking in the upper left. Moreover, standard tournament rules generally require that stage and characters are all known before the characters are set down, unless a blind pick is called.

Some tournaments, however (Evo, for instance), consider Samus and Zamus to be the same character, meaning that if you opt not to counterpick a character in favor of something else, you can still chose between the two.

It works best on spacies, although it only works past 100% on Fox. It kinda sorta works on Falcon. There might be a few others, but they're barely worth mentioning.

Fox. Ike. Snakeee also lists Samus, Bowser and Captain Falcon as equally favorable match-ups, but I've yet to see a reasoning as to why.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
DSmash can't be reflected, right? I don't know why I thought of this exactly, but can it be Countered from Marth or Ike?

This is also a kind of random in-general question. I'd like to enter a tournament some time, and I use a Wavebird. I read that wireless controllers should be discouraged, so should I switch to a reguar GCN controller and save the Wavebird for other games?

Sorry, it's sort of a lot or questions...

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
why is zamus one of the coolest characters in smash?

just thought i'd ask before going to sleep^

Pan!c

Smash Rookie
This is also a kind of random in-general question. I'd like to enter a tournament some time, and I use a Wavebird. I read that wireless controllers should be discouraged, so should I switch to a reguar GCN controller and save the Wavebird for other games?

Sorry, it's sort of a lot or questions...
Wireless Controllers are discouraged because the batteries can die mid-game and that leads to complications, whiners and just trouble in general.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Oh yeah, I remember reading about that. I kept switching between the regular and Wavebird today, it's not that different, just feels weird.

Still though, does anyone know if DSmash can be reflected or countered?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Oh yeah, I remember reading about that. I kept switching between the regular and Wavebird today, it's not that different, just feels weird.

Still though, does anyone know if DSmash can be reflected or countered?
If memory serves, it cannot be reflected, but it can be countered. More oddly, although it can't be reflected, it can be absorbed, at least by Oil Panic, if not PSI Magnet.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
What a weird yet amazing move! I think that's all for now. A really nice thread, here.

Thank you both for responding, by the way.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
When I have samus selected do I need to declare who I'm going as at the start of the match even if it's the opponent who's counter picking?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
When I have samus selected do I need to declare who I'm going as at the start of the match even if it's the opponent who's counter picking?
Sure do. Unless, as previously stated, the tourney is stupid and considers Samus and Zamus to be the same character.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Just checked. Fox's reflector doesn't work on it, Mirror Shield just moves backwards, Falco's reflector just knocks Zamus over, Wolf's reflector is as useless as Fox's, Cape'll turn Zamus around, but Mario still gets hit, Nayru's Love doesn't work and ROB's spinning move is no better.

Ness and Lucas can absorb it though.

Dsmash is very odd.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Just checked. Fox's reflector doesn't work on it, Mirror Shield just moves backwards, Falco's reflector just knocks Zamus over, Wolf's reflector is as useless as Fox's, Cape'll turn Zamus around, but Mario still gets hit, Nayru's Love doesn't work and ROB's spinning move is no better.

Ness and Lucas can absorb it though.

Dsmash is very odd.
wtf... that IS odd, I have to add that bit of info to the attack stats in a note

Top Bottom