• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Hey, I came here looking for ZSS frame data however, the thread that has the list of useful links for ZSS doesn't seem to have one. Well...It mentions it, but when I click on it, the link takes me somewhere else which I found to be quite odd. Does someone have the link to the frame data thread? Thanks.
If you went here and didn't find it, just scroll down further.

Snakeee

Smash Master
got it. hopefully I'll have some matches to show you guys and you can offer pointers soon.

one more thing: FSmash is useless, right? by that i mean i should never use it...

I also wanted to know if you could tech chase with UpB on the ground. like if you anticipate thier roll, then running Up B to catch them and reset the situation. I'm at school so i havent had time to practice this, but someone here might know already.
Yes, and no. That can work, but it seems harder to catch someone with that mostly because they DI out of the last hit more in that situation. If you're going to try to tech chase, I'd say go for a grab, up smash, or even just dash attack

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I know nothing about ZSS

Why is ZSS in a pretty low tier though her matchup with the top tier chars are equal or at slight advantage?

sasook

Smash Champion
Because not enough people rep her in tournaments, since she's got quite the learning curve.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
She also gets countered pretty hard by Falco, which makes it hard for her to do well, given the popularity of Falco.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
She also gets countered pretty hard by Falco, which makes it hard for her to do well, given the popularity of Falco.
Does character popularity factor into the tier list?

I'm just asking, because I don't know for sure. I also don't agree with tier lists because I don't think they often tell the whole story. The game is just a huge web of matchups. So what if everyone has a 40:60 against Meta Knight? He's no harder than any other 40:60 and we go up against those all the time.

With that said, the good tournament results from ZSS mains combined with an overall solid lineup of match-ups, the new ROB infinite, the chain grabs, and a subtle increase in ZSS' popularity are the ingredients for a ZSS-goes-up-5-more-spots cocktail. I just don't think that in the end, those spots are worth anything unless you derive pleasure from seeing DeliciousCake smack down noobs that ask dumb questions in new threads. I guarantee that if ZSS cracks the top 10 like I think she could, we'll be seeing a lot of that. :laugh:

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
That's hard to answer, on one hand, it factors in tournament data, and you could argue that tournament data is in large part affected by a users popularity.

And Metaknight is high in the tier list not because of **** matchups, as Dededee is, but because of having no bad matchups. This gives him the ability to breeze through a tournament with out many head aches. However, that may soon change, as Diddy has found a new lock, and Falco found something else (can't remember what).

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I just don't think that in the end, those spots are worth anything unless you derive pleasure from seeing DeliciousCake smack down noobs that ask dumb questions in new threads. I guarantee that if ZSS cracks the top 10 like I think she could, we'll be seeing a lot of that. :laugh:
Breaks out the whipping stick.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
With that said, the good tournament results from ZSS mains combined with an overall solid lineup of match-ups, the new ROB infinite, the chain grabs, and a subtle increase in ZSS' popularity are the ingredients for a ZSS-goes-up-5-more-spots cocktail. I just don't think that in the end, those spots are worth anything unless you derive pleasure from seeing DeliciousCake smack down noobs that ask dumb questions in new threads. I guarantee that if ZSS cracks the top 10 like I think she could, we'll be seeing a lot of that. :laugh:
I dunno. I kinda look at ZSS as being very much like the Falcon of Brawl. Not so much in her moveset, but that it takes a lot of time, smarts, and dedication to really learn her. When you've learned her, however, she's a powerful weapon. She's also a really streaky character, and if you can't establish a tempo that suits you in a match, it'll be really tough.

All in all, I can really only see her being well-represented by a few people. I think she'll get more popular, but her tier placement will be due more to good people being able to do well with her than to the fact that she's an easy win (because she's not).

noradseven

Smash Lord
I dunno. I kinda look at ZSS as being very much like the Falcon of Brawl. Not so much in her moveset, but that it takes a lot of time, smarts, and dedication to really learn her. When you've learned her, however, she's a powerful weapon. She's also a really streaky character, and if you can't establish a tempo that suits you in a match, it'll be really tough.

All in all, I can really only see her being well-represented by a few people. I think she'll get more popular, but her tier placement will be due more to good people being able to do well with her than to the fact that she's an easy win (because she's not).
I think ZSS is the Anji of brawl, mostly straight slightly bad matchups really hard to learn how to play well, but tournament viable once you do so.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
During hitstun

When trying to DI and momentum cancel, first you do your proper DI then uair and if you then do a quick down-B does it cancel all of your momentum from hitstun like GW's bucket does?

sasook

Smash Champion
I'm not sure, but I prefer to save my downb incase I need to flipstool off an edgehogging opponent.

Adapt

Smash Lord
it has a small effect, but it's only a few percent sideways (Not upwards, it can kill you earlier upwards)

You are normally better off to save it like sasook said

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Simple question. When I've been knocked a hell of a long way away from the stage is my best bet to use the Jump followed by the Down B or the Down B followed by the jump? I had been going with option 1 hoping for the flipstool to ease recovery attempts but it seems the long lag after Down B during which I can't tether is killing me more then the flipstool is saving me.

And generally any non-obvious recovery tips at all would be nice. :/

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
After you jump you should Up B instead of Down B, you'll get a pretty nice verticlal boost.
I would personally depending on where I am try to DI as close to the stage as I can, then use jump+Up B and hope that gets me to the stage. If it doesn't then I'll Down B.

Imo, if you waste your Down B too early before you reach the stage, it makes you more vulnerable to ledge hogs since her Up B doesnt give any kind of horizontal or vertical boost (unless combined with Up B). With Down B you can footstool characters grabbing the ledge, or attack/spike them with the kick. But ZSS has a pretty nice set of options to recover with, so don't take my word as 'THE' thing to do.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Can some reasearch something I was messing around with?

Piviot walk Ftilt lock.
You set the opponent up for the lock, Ftilt, piviotwalk (metaknight goes to far to walk in time) ftilt, repeat.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
After you jump you should Up B instead of Down B, you'll get a pretty nice verticlal boost.
I actually did some testing, and if you're DIing properly, you don't want to jump or down b, because both will give you way too much of a vertical boost and send you flying off the top.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I actually did some testing, and if you're DIing properly, you don't want to jump or down b, because both will give you way too much of a vertical boost and send you flying off the top.
Correct. I usually just spam uair until it comes out, hit it once or twice and then fast fall.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
You've got the wrong idea. I'm talking after Ive stopped my launch and now I'm trying to use my jump, Down B and Up B to get back to the stage to recover.

Snakeee

Smash Master
If you're going more horizontally though, it seems to be pretty useful. I'm not sure about jumping, but it looks like that might help too. If it does as much as Down B, then that would be the better option. Down B is best saved for last

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Here's a question for you (have a feeling I'm going to feel stupid...):

Is it known (or well-known) that you can can cancel the last few frames of a foxtrot by buffering a crouch? So you can foxtrot->crouch->jab? You can also foxtrot->crouch->dsmash which I've started to use a lot.

EDIT: You know, ZSS has IASA frames on a lot of things people don't talk about much...

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
If you're going more horizontally though, it seems to be pretty useful. I'm not sure about jumping, but it looks like that might help too. If it does as much as Down B, then that would be the better option. Down B is best saved for last
My testing showed that Down B, especially with kicking towards the stage, is more useful than jump, and in fact jumping sends you off the top sooner than Flip Jump.

Note that Flip Jump does in fact boost your kb momentum, but you only see it happening in the upwards direction because the Flip Jump significantly counteracts its own lateral momentum boost. This means that Flip Jump is only used when knocked significantly more to the side than up. But be aware that after this, you only have your second jump and your tethers, so this is a very risky maneuver. Use caution.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
I think saving the down-b / jump is a match-up thing.

If you're worried about someone running off and edge-guarding, I would save the down-b. You can use the down-b's invincibility frames to avoid any attacks off the edge and still move to avoid anything else they've got coming.

However, if you're looking at characters that like to predict landings or just edgehog in general, I would save the jump. It's a lot easier to knock someone off the edge when you can control your character through the jumping motion. Also, if you are landing on stage, you have more control on where you land.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think saving the down-b / jump is a match-up thing.

If you're worried about someone running off and edge-guarding, I would save the down-b. You can use the down-b's invincibility frames to avoid any attacks off the edge and still move to avoid anything else they've got coming.

However, if you're looking at characters that like to predict landings or just edgehog in general, I would save the jump. It's a lot easier to knock someone off the edge when you can control your character through the jumping motion. Also, if you are landing on stage, you have more control on where you land.
*shrug* when someone's edgehogging, I prefer to use a Flipstool if I can. I really try not to Flip Jump onstage unless my opponent is off stage. And if they're on stage, and not too close to the ledge, I just tether. Generally, waiting for the momentum to die down, then using a second jump has been enough to get me comfortably in range of either one. And if I stick the DI, then I don't really need to use either.

Snakeee

Smash Master
from snakeee's thread :p
Hmm I must not have seen that one sorry. I'd mix it up with playing wifi and playing the CPU. You should play the CPU after a session just to be comfortable with the normal gameplay. Usually bad habits develop from wifi, but some people have proven that if you're smart enough you can adjust rather easily

Top Bottom