• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
That's interesting, it looks you hit the bottom of them (feet) rather than their head.
The flipkick spike is actually easier to land that you night think. Your leg's hitbox just has to conenct with any part of your opponent's body, and voila: spike! The opponent can even be lower than what I showed in the video, it even works if you stun them while they're grabbing the ledge... Although the end result of that spike is ridiculously funny! They slam against the underbelly of the whole stage and sail from that end to the other, THEN end up spiked.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB8W6gozANs

Sorry for the quality. I did it against a lv9 CPU and saved the replay, and uploaded the last stock, where I did the downB spike. That's what I'm talking about.
I have started to do that too recently. It's much easier IMHO than the traditional flipkick off the level method, and after around ~45% it's 100% guaranteed, regardless of DI.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Sweet, I'm helping the ZSS community! :chuckle:

The best part is... That it's not situational! As soon as you land a dsmash to an offstage opponent, it should be the first thing crossing your mind, plus you don't need any weird button inputs like dsmash>turn around>footstool>downB that could end up ruining your chances at executing it... Just drop off, downB towards the stage, spike while they're stunned, and land safely back on-stage! :chuckle:

Snakeee

Smash Master
Hmm you know what, maybe I'm wrong. I haven't really tried it that way anyway. However, it won't work if they're at a far distance from the d-smash. So if they're closer that may actually be the better choice.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Actually, Kewkky's way is most likely better. For one thing, you don't find yourself off the stage with no Flip Jump, which is a good way to get gimped if they meteor cancel. Its also fairly reliable, it seems.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
yeah, it's reliable and works well, IF they're close enough. I've been advocating that style for a while now guys!

anywho, if they're high or far away it won't work as well.

in the situation where they are high, do the normal spike.

in the situation where they are far away, you have to drop off and down-b outward, lots of risk, but should be just as accurate and fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keNOItfA4Mg

at 1:50, in match and good quality.

sasook

Smash Champion
Faded, after those Kirby matches, I do believe you've become my favorite ZSS to watch. Sorry Snakeee, lol.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
Faded, after those Kirby matches, I do believe you've become my favorite ZSS to watch. Sorry Snakeee, lol.
haha, thanks sasook. I'll try to keep the vids comin' d:

I've actually been thinking of doing a video tutorial on ZSS... is anyone interested in hearing me blab about how to play ZSS while watching gameplay?

Zaffy

Smash Apprentice
Okay, since someone directed here after my Q for the R.O.B infinite. After i footstool, as i go for the Dair, i always physically perform it

Am i doing it too slowly or any clue whats happening?

Hence

Smash Ace
Okay, since someone directed here after my Q for the R.O.B infinite. After i footstool, as i go for the Dair, i always physically perform it

Am i doing it too slowly or any clue whats happening?
You're supposed to imput the command, the game doesn't know that you want to D-Air after a footstool on it's own.
You have to be really quick, though. Right when you see the footstool after your double jump, you must D-Air and quickly position yourself to D-Smash R.O.B's getup.

Unless your English isn't so great and you meant something else by "physically preform it".

sasook

Smash Champion
You can hit downb instead of dair as well, I find that much easier tbh.

And yes Faded, a tutorial would be nice. Even if someone wrote a beginner's guide, I'd appreciate that.

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
Some kind of tutorial would be nice. Some other characters have done one, i think link, pikachu, diddy, and maybe fox have one.If anything it could be helpful to newer players.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I'd love to see it just to hear other people's thought process as their playing

And I've been wondering about the footstool dair combos specifically. I can do the ROB infinite pretty consistently, but have yet to get the footstool combo to work on Snake, or anyone but ROB that I've tried it on. Is there something different about the non ROB ones?

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
[url]http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221578&page=74[/URL]

You Guys have so many stickies I was afraid if I posted as a thread you wouldn't see it :<

Sup ZSS boards :3 mind giving us help on the match-up?

Oh yeah, and something I want to know on ZSS...

What can he she do after her Jab because up close it ***** the hell out of other people since it's frame one :< Warp Status used it against me with some success as well. <<

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
What can he she do after her Jab because up close it ***** the hell out of other people since it's frame one :< Warp Status used it against me with some success as well. <<
Depending on the character I'm fighting, I either 1jab>spot-dodge>1jab>roll away then follow up with whatever, OR I just do the whole jab combo (some characters have more difficulty shielding against the whole jab combo... Like Mario)

I dunno... I've always found some characters to NEVER be able to shield the jab combo, and some to usually shield them. Guess it's just the player, then.

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
Can you DI the little pop after being stunned by holding the control stick down?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Can you DI the little pop after being stunned by holding the control stick down?
Nope, you will always do the little "hop" when you finally leave the stun... However, the lower your %, the lower the "hop" will be.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
Yes, you can DI the pop after being stunned, but it's just like a normal hit, you can only influence the angle a certain amount (with the perpendicular being the best). but it is significant, I've missed b-airs because I misguessed the DI.

Hence

Smash Ace
fixt

anyone can SDI down and shield the third hit, anyone.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Zero Suit Samus doesn't have enough time to shieldgrab our third jab because of how long the startup lag on her grab is.
Is Zero Suit Samus the only character whose grab works in this way?

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
Should work on everyone with a slow shieldgrab, Yoshi, Samus, uhh, not sure who else.

There's a thread floating somewhere with everyone's grab frames...

edit: ph00t's jab data:
ph00ty said:
Jab 3

Hitbox out: 3
IASA: 23
which means you have 20 frames. So any grab over 20 frames should be safe.

now, I don't think there are any grabs in the game that come out in over 20 frames, even ZSS's. So I don't think it works on anyone...

Snakeee

Smash Master
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Zero Suit Samus doesn't have enough time to shieldgrab our third jab because of how long the startup lag on her grab is.
No but you can jab yourself out of the third jab lol.
A couple other chars can do this to her too with a really fast jab including Squirtle, Ike, Peach, and Yosh
i

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
I'm new to these boards; who wants to teach me ZSS :)

I've gone through the stickied guides but some seem outdated or don't provide enough info on her game play.

How is she best played? Is she a punisher, offensive tank, defensive wall, etc?
From my understanding, her best momentum cancelling moves are uair and down b, right? Safest kill move is side b?
How's her ledge/edgeguard/OoS game? (If these have been answered or there's somewhere else I should look, I apologize and ask that you please direct me there.)

What do I do? :(
Halp. :lick:

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I'm new to these boards; who wants to teach me ZSS :)

I've gone through the stickied guides but some seem outdated or don't provide enough info on her game play.

How is she best played? Is she a punisher, offensive tank, defensive wall, etc?
From my understanding, her best momentum cancelling moves are uair and down b, right? Safest kill move is side b?
How's her ledge/edgeguard/OoS game? (If these have been answered or there's somewhere else I should look, I apologize and ask that you please direct me there.)

What do I do? :(
Halp. :lick:
Much of the sticky information is very old (for instance, side b is not a killing move). ZSS is best described as a "punish" character but she is very complex and not described well by a single phrase. I suggest you check the video thread and watch a few of the videos there. Just check the last couple of pages for the most recent ones.

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
Much of the sticky information is very old (for instance, side b is not a killing move). ZSS is best described as a "punish" character but she is very complex and not described well by a single phrase. I suggest you check the video thread and watch a few of the videos there. Just check the last couple of pages for the most recent ones.
I'm a Marf main so punishing isn't new to me at all. So I just need to know how to punish wiff Zamus :confused:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Should work on everyone with a slow shieldgrab, Yoshi, Samus, uhh, not sure who else.

There's a thread floating somewhere with everyone's grab frames...

edit: ph00t's jab data:

which means you have 20 frames. So any grab over 20 frames should be safe.

now, I don't think there are any grabs in the game that come out in over 20 frames, even ZSS's. So I don't think it works on anyone...
You have to keep shield-stun in mind. I don't have my data with me atm, but jab three has something like 4 frames shieldhitlag and shieldstun combined, IIRC. This would mean Jab 1 would come out before ZSS's grab (which as I recall is 17 frames). But then, it wouldn't come out before jab. And that's what most ZSSes will do anyway.

Jab dittos are dumb. Dumb.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
You have to keep shield-stun in mind. I don't have my data with me atm, but jab three has something like 4 frames shieldhitlag and shieldstun combined, IIRC. This would mean Jab 1 would come out before ZSS's grab (which as I recall is 17 frames). But then, it wouldn't come out before jab. And that's what most ZSSes will do anyway.

Jab dittos are dumb. Dumb.
yes they are.

but also, every char auto-PS's the third jab, so doesn't shieldlag/stun drop in that scenario?

Top Bottom