• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS General Discussion

Hence

Smash Ace

1.) This thread was stolen directly from the Marth boards because I saw how well it increased forum activity.

2.) ZSS General Discussion is NOT a picture thread. ZSS General Discussion is a thread for the most awesome smashers on SWF to discuss her as a character (IN BRAWL), her metagame, tournaments, new developments, etc.

3.) If the thread gets too out of hand it will likely be locked by Dazwa. *points at what happened to a few of our older threads*

4.) 10char (spam) and censor dodging are not permitted.

5.) Just don't be bad! This will be a fun thread and promote more activity on the board.

You may commence witty sarcastic posting. :)

Blade1844

Smash Apprentice
So....uh to get things rolling.....

What made you want to play ZSS Hence?

Hence

Smash Ace
So....uh to get things rolling.....

What made you want to play ZSS Hence?
To be honest, I had originally mained Pit until I became bored with him as a character. After I found Zero Suit Samus I started to become serious about improving my game. It's been six months since then and I've improved exponentially. Snakeee influenced me to pick up Sheik/Zelda and Peach too, but the rest is history. ;)

Blade1844

Smash Apprentice
Awesome. Pit is not fun to play.

I remember picking zero suit as a main before the game came out. I played melee as Samus only because my friends played pretty much everyone else. When brawl came around I started with Samus, Wolf, ZSS and ended up with the people in my signature.

ZSS as my main has yet to disappoint and as I get better (Coming on smashboards helped) I find her that much more enjoyable to play.

Hence

Smash Ace
Isn't this essentially what the "Ask Snakeee" thread has turned into?
Well, the most recent posts in the "Ask Snakeee" thread may make it seem like you're correct. I noticed that after posting general questions myself. That, along with the Marth boards, inspired me to create a thread for general discussion.

Smeh

Smash Cadet
I had originally mained Pit, too, though only for a few days. I went through a few other characters before I became proficient enough to be able to use Zero Suit without frequently killing myself. I've been using her for about a year now and she's still not even the least bit boring for me to play as. I second Sheik, Lucas, and Toon Link... though I guess if there's three of them it's not really "seconding."

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
When the game first came out, I only dabbled with it as I didn't own a Wii yet. In late december, I finally purchased a Wii. Up until that point I'd been watching videos on YouTube and came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FLq2Kl4jH0

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't at least partially responsible for my decision to main ZSS. I also really love the way she plays. It's very different from most Smash characters and I was never able to really settle on a main in Melee. ZSS felt good and I picked up the basics really fast. Before that, I played ROB at friends' houses and stuff.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Isn't this essentially what the "Ask Snakeee" thread has turned into?
And that's generally a bad thing, right? It's for serious (or not so serious) questions and answers, from the pro. Sure, joking around is fun, but it can mess up the flow of things. This gives us a separate place to screw around. =P

I originally mained Marth, as I did in Melee. Quite honestly, when I saw the SSBB intro on Youtube before it actually came out and saw ZSS as a new character, my first thoughts were; "****ing retaaarded. Just a crappy character for guys to oggle at. **** Nintendo."

Marth wasn't really working out for me, though, as I found out several months into the game. The game difference physics from melee made the quick-epic-comboing nature I loved in Marth into.... something else entirely. I've always liked jumping around and ****** my opponents.

... Then I saw Claw's combo video.

And so, ZSS became my main...

Oh, and another huge reason I started maining her involved a Santana song, but I'm not going to bother getting into that.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
What santana song is it? Gotta love some santana.
It's from one of his older albums, the song is called "The Calling", the last track on the CD. It's a trick though; it's not the song you first hear that I'm talking about. If you listen through the whole thing, or just fast forward until it fades out, you'll realize that there's a second song on the same track, meaning you can't skip to it without going through the whole first song. And it's THAT song I'm talking about.

I heard it for the first time, it reminded me of Samus. I had just seen Zamuses combo video, and I was thinking, "Oh, snap. Meh, but this sounds more like Samus than ZSS..." But as you keep listening, after the Climax at the bridge, it changes around a bit, and singing kicks in: You hear the lyrics about "freedom" with a change of melody and instrumentation. Now THAT is ZSS. After a climactic bridge? Final Smash > ZSS anyone? lololololololol. =P

Sounds stupid, I know, but it sounded ****ing epic to me.

EDIT: Well, guess I did explain it after all. =\

sasook

Smash Champion
Those Marth boards....

I can safely say the Link boards were the first to come up with this kind of an idea, at least, if this thread is for what I think it is for. The Links had no mod to close the spam threads they'd always get, so they made a general discussion thread where you can discuss anything (basically a spam thread)

@Dazwa ----------------->in order to avoid other spam threads from arising. <-------@ Dazwa

and it's worked very well. I approve of this thread :) I think it's great. It really pulls the community closer together.

Though Cake has a point. lol

Smeh

Smash Cadet
Hopefully the "ask Snakeee" thread will return to a Q&A rather than a general discussion thread after this one gains popularity, though.

Blade1844

Smash Apprentice
Ah....the Claw video.... 10 minutes of ZSS awesome I can't forget.

The question is now....what is the next topic on ZSS we discuss?

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
@Dazwa ----------------->in order to avoid other spam threads from arising. <-------@ Dazwa
rofl I'm well aware of how character social threads work

Just how aware am I?

I don't know if you'll be able to tell by merely viewing this post alone, but you'll eventually find out :p

Hence

Smash Ace
I did? Cool, but when/how?
You don't know how obsessive I am about observing recorded matches. I believe I took 2-3 pages of notes the first time I saw your Zelda/Sheik. Your Zelda mindgames and lures I witnessed on the Apex livestream were too good. It was mostly your matches against Crismas that made me fall in love with Sheik and Peach though. :laugh:

Zelda/Sheik and Peach cover most of Zero Suit Samus' poor/disadvataged matchups and they make a great team tbh.

sasook

Smash Champion
rofl I'm well aware of how character social threads work

Just how aware am I?

I don't know if you'll be able to tell by merely viewing this post alone, but you'll eventually find out :p
Lol, well....the mods back at the Link boards didn't seem to understand this concept, and constantly closed it on us (mods who would mod us for a day and vanish for a month). So I guess I've just had bad experiences with these kind of threads, and didn't want it to get closed.

Wenis of Lore

Smash Cadet
Before that, I played ROB at friends' houses and stuff.
i used to main R.O.B. too but i was getting bored with him. ZSS though, brings an instant smile to the face. and on a side note, let me just say that since i've hit these boards all you zero suit pros/regulars have helped me build my game so much, not to mention appreciate the scope of her technicality. you guys are all wicked good, thanks a ton.

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
Tbh I thought Meta Knight was the coolest thing ever to hit Brawl so I said I would main him as.soon.as.he.was.announced.period. I picked up Zero Suit Samus as a second in late March/Early April, because I thought she would be the character everyone would use. Apparently, she isn't.:laugh:

When I joined the boards last November, I realized Meta Knight is the safety pick of the game. That bothers me a lot.lol Zamus is my main now since I play them equally and yeah.

Fox, Ike, and Sonic are seconds for me purely based on awesomeness and not strategicness... ha.

Zero

Smash Hero
Ah, Zero Suit main...

I originally wanted to main both Samus and Zero Suit, from the minute Brawl and Zero Suit was released. However, when I got my filthy paws on the game on Thursday, June the 26th, 2008 (I remember taking work off after school to unlock all the characters in 5 hours). I soon realised that Samus SUCKED, unfortunately. So I held L and R and here I am today.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
Level 9 Zero Suit Samus, best CPU in Brawl?

Discuss.
more like worst omg.

she flip jump suicides and then tethers nothing...

and I'm like, *****, I TAUGHT YOU HOW TO PLAY WITH MY REPLAYS

they jus dun listen... ):

p.s.: I think someone did some weird survey where they pitted every 9 cpu against each other and counted the wins. I think ZSS got the lowest. ):

sasook

Smash Champion
Well I was never a ZSS main, I picked her up in about August and didn't really come here that often. I was mostly trying to improve my Link to get to tourney level (lolwut) and....I was having a lot of trouble with Failco. So I decided I needed a secondary, and I thought "hmm, who is really not commonly used?" because I like characters who aren't popular. Then I remembered that playing as ZSS was surprisingly fun in SSE and she felt comfortable to use. After some (very) brief research, I found that ZSS has the dsmash chain til a certain percent on Falco, 60% I think. I immediately thought it has to be in her favor (lol, little did i know).

But yeah, thats my story.

Blade1844

Smash Apprentice
...I thought "hmm, who is really not commonly used?" because I like characters who aren't popular. Then I remembered that playing as ZSS was surprisingly fun in SSE and she felt comfortable to use...
Yes, I agree with you here Sasook. I have a lot of trouble trying to play the best character of a game. It is much more rewarding to have enough skill with a lower tiered character to beat one of the top tiers.

For a while I was going to learn MetaKnight, but as I played him I missed the feel of ZSS. Instead I decided I would just get better with her....

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Er, you didn't? Kirby is also (currently...) a mid-tier character. It's arguable whether or not he's underrated, but he's definitely about as good/bad/whatever as ZSS.

Playing Kirby is about the same as repping ZSS. Maybe I'm not following.

Hence

Smash Ace
Er, you didn't? Kirby is also (currently...) a mid-tier character. It's arguable whether or not he's underrated, but he's definitely about as good/bad/whatever as ZSS.

Playing Kirby is about the same as repping ZSS. Maybe I'm not following.
You really like arguing, don't you?

I choose not to ever play Kirby out of personal preference. Kirby in Brawl isn't a character I'd like to play. Furthermore, I was referenceing secondaries. Zelda/Sheik and Peach are mid tier, Kirby is high tier. Maybe I'm not following.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It's arguable whether or not he's underrated, but he's definitely about as good/bad/whatever as ZSS.
I assure you, he's immensely underrated. I'm in love with both Kirby and ZSS right now, but Kirby's leaning towards being my main since I'm using him more than ZSS these last few months. Both of them have actual combos (even though ZSS's are way cooler and deadlier), both can recover from anywhere, and both are practically impossible to cg with (ZSS can escape Falco's early with a downB, Kirby just jumps)... The difference between both is that ZSS has a reliable projectile and mid-range spacing move (sideB), and Kirby has a reliable grab and short-range all-purpose move (bair).

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
You really like arguing, don't you?

I choose not to ever play Kirby out of personal preference. Kirby in Brawl isn't a character I'd like to play. Furthermore, I was referenceing secondaries. Zelda/Sheik and Peach are mid tier, Kirby is high tier. Maybe I'm not following.
What? I suggested a good secondary and you insinuated that Kirby was not mid tier. Kirby is mid tier. So is Peach and so is Zelda (though not Sheik). I don't know where you get the impression that I'm being inflammatory. If you have anything else to say on the subject I suggest you PM me though unless you want to get your own thread locked. :laugh:

I assure you, he's immensely underrated. I'm in love with both Kirby and ZSS right now, but Kirby's leaning towards being my main since I'm using him more than ZSS these last few months.
Yeah I'm trying to pick Kirby up as my secondary but I haven't had much time to play lately.

Hence

Smash Ace
I suggested a secondary
You stated, "Kirby covers all of those matchups perfectly." //Quoting me, mind you. Almost as if you WANTED to argue for some reason.

To which I responded, "I choose not to use Kirby out of personal preference." //The conversation could have ended here.

I'm not sure if you know this, but by quoting someone you're talking specifically to them.

I don't know where you get the impression that I'm being inflammatory. If you have anything else to say on the subject I suggest you PM me though unless you want to get your own thread locked.
Then you have the nerve to post this?
I'm beginning to hate someone on the internet for the first time. It feels... awful.

To change the subject:
Has anyone played on the AiB spring ladder yet?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
You stated, "Kirby covers all of those matchups perfectly." //Quoting me, mind you. Almost as if you WANTED to argue for some reason.
Don't assume.

To which I responded, "I choose not to use Kirby out of personal preference." //The conversation could have ended here.
You're right. Sorry. Still, I wasn't trying to insult you or flame you. I was just pointing something out. Should I have used a smiley face to soften it up or something?

noradseven

Smash Lord
Holy **** flame war, puts on fire retardant vest, casts blizzard.

ZSS is secretly the second best character in the game after captain falcon, both of them made a pledge to not unleash there true ability until the chosen one appears Agree/Disagree

Top Bottom