• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
You say that like he's Tom Cruise. Lol.

Sure his popular surged since his role as John Wick but he's no Tom Cruise in terms of expenses.
Tom Cruise is not agent Smith tho? He might be voice by Jonathan Groff, which is the last actor who portrayed him, and he also do voice work. Of course Jonathan Groff will cost less than Keanu Reeves, why are we comparing with a totally irrelevant actor?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Two quick notes:

1. Seasons will now have names. The first season is “Puns and Villainy”

2. Agent Smith will be available as a post launch character. He will not be in the immediate relaunch.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Tom Cruise is not agent Smith tho? He might be voice by Jonathan Groff, which is the last actor who portrayed him, and he also do voice work. Of course Jonathan Groff will cost less than Keanu Reeves, why are we comparing with a totally irrelevant actor?
I wasn't saying that. The fact he said Keanu Reeves would be expensive implying he's up there in terms of expenses for an A-Star Hollywood actor like Tom Cruise when he's not.

Again Keanu Reeves only got a popular resurgence since John Wick and Tom Cruise had been popular since the 80s and going.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
RE: Smith instead of Neo

Honestly, I think Keanu straight up does not want his likeness as Neo used here as opposed to any money issue.

Neo was apparently considered for both Injustice 2 and MK9, and negotiations fell flat both times. And Keanu is on record saying if it were up to him, neither Neo nor John Wick would appear in Mortal Kombat.

Granted, MK is gory and over the top in violence while Multiversus isn't, but the point still stands

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
RE: Smith instead of Neo

Honestly, I think Keanu straight up does not want his likeness as Neo used here as opposed to any money issue.

Neo was apparently considered for both Injustice 2 and MK9, and negotiations fell flat both times. And Keanu is on record saying if it were up to him, neither Neo nor John Wick would appear in Mortal Kombat.

Granted, MK is gory and over the top in violence while Multiversus isn't, but the point still stands
It's really funny to imagine Keanu viewing Mortal Kombat and Multiversus on the same level.

But John Wick is in fortnite, so I really don't think this would be the case.

Multiversus probably put Smith in first because they wanted to, they like adding characters in unconventional orders

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wasn't saying that. The fact he said Keanu Reeves would be expensive implying he's up there in terms of expenses for an A-Star Hollywood actor like Tom Cruise when he's not.

Again Keanu Reeves only got a popular resurgence since John Wick and Tom Cruise had been popular since the 80s and going.
What you're saying literally has no bearing here? Keanu Reeves is an A List celebrity. Tom Cruise is far from the limit of "this is the highest we can go for likeness rights."

And even then it's more than likely just because Keanu Reeves doesn't agree to do Matrix things unless the Wachowskis are attached to the project. That's historically been the case. And if they can't get Keanu's likeness, they can't get Neo.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
What you're saying literally has no bearing here? Keanu Reeves is an A List celebrity. Tom Cruise is far from the limit of "this is the highest we can go for likeness rights."

And even then it's more than likely just because Keanu Reeves doesn't agree to do Matrix things unless the Wachowskis are attached to the project. That's historically been the case. And if they can't get Keanu's likeness, they can't get Neo.
That's a great point

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's my theory - we're going to get both Go Raven and a 3003/comic Raven at the same time. Both would be semi-clones of each other, and probably both voiced by Tara Strong, but given enough differences to play somewhat uniquely. Basically the connection between Link and Young/Toon Link

Faso115

Smash Lord
I mean, i guess they can go for a close enough look-alike like how Dead by Daylight didn't model Ripley after Sigourney Weaver.

Also, do we even know if Agent Smith is modelled after Hugo Weaving? He kinda looks like him but there's some leeway to claim that actually its not Hugo Weaving

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Here's my theory - we're going to get both Go Raven and a 3003/comic Raven at the same time. Both would be semi-clones of each other, and probably both voiced by Tara Strong, but given enough differences to play somewhat uniquely. Basically the connection between Link and Young/Toon Link
They haven't established a precedent for clones / semiclones yet, so I guess we'll see how that plays out. I'm gonna doubt them pulling something like this so early because it just doesn't seem like their vibe, I think it's more likely that one is stylized into a costume for another.

I remember Pickle Rick being discussed a while back too, uncertain of whether that was supposed to be a full sized costume, a small version of Rick, etc. Personally I think if they went as far as to add Pickle Rick you'd just go all in and give him an original moveset emphasizing rushdown tactics, his exacto knives and laser pointer etc. As far as alternate versions of characters go here - if they can't reasonably fit into or be properly represented through a costume, MVS probably just makes them unique or won't bother if they're too similar. But I still maintain there's probably a way to make the alt skin work with Raven.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Two quick notes:

1. Seasons will now have names. The first season is “Puns and Villainy”

2. Agent Smith will be available as a post launch character. He will not be in the immediate relaunch.
Do we have proof on the first fact?

darkvortex

Smash Lord
I think it seemed like Pickle Rick was a semi clone, built off Rick with his own stuff, but it's been a while

Faso115

Smash Lord
I mean, it was a similar situation with the alpha. The trailer revealed Taz and Iron Giant, only taz was playable. Giant was available around the release of the beta.

Which means roughly Smith should be available around 2 or 3 weeks after launch mid-june

Unrelated
Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 15-53-45 Ian Cardoni (@iancardoni) • Instagram photos and videos.png

Ian Cardoni confirms his involvement in MVS

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I don't quite remember who it was but recently I saw a video where someone said that going purely off of playing matches it would take 91 hours of playtime to unlock every character that was in the original public build, so pre-Lebron.

They need to make everyone free if they want the game to have a competitive meta, that's all I'm saying. 91 hours is ludicrous just to have the freedom to choose anyone on the roster of this free to play game

Louie G.

Smash Hero
A villains season would be cool. I think the seasons could use theming to make them feel less all over the place
With Powerpuff Girls clearly on deck, I assume the seasonal structure is pretty loose or emphasizes kind of a "heroes vs villains" concept instead. Moreso than keeping it exclusive to adding baddies. Although Joker's bit in the trailer, if it's to be taken literally, implies at least four new ones on top of Jason and Smith.

Wicked Witch is looking to be a no brainer, I'd love to see Ice King or Audrey II on top of that. Maybe even Aku if the Jack tease is to be trusted.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
With Powerpuff Girls clearly on deck, I assume the seasonal structure is pretty loose or emphasizes kind of a "heroes vs villains" concept instead. Moreso than keeping it exclusive to adding baddies. Although Joker's bit in the trailer, if it's to be taken literally, implies at least four new ones on top of Jason and Smith.

Wicked Witch is looking to be a no brainer, I'd love to see Ice King or Audrey II on top of that. Maybe even Aku if the Jack tease is to be trusted.
I can already envision the PPG trailer being a recreation of the show's opening with all the villains of the game getting their ass kicked

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm not a huge fan of Jason's design as it's a bit too over the top. But he still looks good overall and he is menacing, which he should be. I'm still excited for him.

And Agent Smith??!! I wasn't expecting him at all, at least not yet, but he's another very cool choice. My confidence in this game has officially been restored...not fully, but if they can keep up this momentum then we could be eating good. Jason and Agent Smith may just be the push that the game needs to get a decent player base at launch. It will be interesting to see how active the game is next week.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I don't quite remember who it was but recently I saw a video where someone said that going purely off of playing matches it would take 91 hours of playtime to unlock every character that was in the original public build, so pre-Lebron.

They need to make everyone free if they want the game to have a competitive meta, that's all I'm saying. 91 hours is ludicrous just to have the freedom to choose anyone on the roster of this free to play game
I wonder if it’ll be a bit faster to get the characters in the full release since the PVE mode has its own rewards, although IDK yet if it’ll give out currency to buy characters or not, so I’ll have to wait and see on that.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Okay guys, let's talk movesets.

I predict that Jason is going to go haaaaaard on the super armor. He'll be almost entirely Melee and have a command grab. He'll be the traditional big body as opposed to Iron Giant's strange one.
I reckon Agent Smith's main gimmick will somehow relate to transmuting either allies or enemies into another Smith. No idea how you'd make that work while keeping it balanced and fun, but maybe he could transmute his ally into another Smith for a defence buff for them both or something?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's my updated prediction for the next year or so of Multiversus

Season 1 (Villain Themed, Late May to Mid August)

• Joker, Banana Guard, Jason (Launch)
  • Agent Smith (Early June)
  • Powerpuff Girls (Late June)
  • Wicked Witch (July)
  • Paul Atreides (August)
Season 2 (Magic and Horror themed, mid August to early November)

• Scooby-Doo ( Season Launch)
  • Beetlejuice (Mid September)
  • Raven (Early October)
  • Harry Potter (Halloween/Late October)
Season 3 (Cartoon Themed, Early November to late January)

• Dexter (Launch)
  • Daffy Duck (Late November)
  • Mordecai (December)
  • Fred Flinstone (January)
Season 4 (Teammate/Enemy theme, Early February to late April)
  • Baron Harkonnen (Launch)
  • Gumball and Darwin (Late February)
  • Aquaman (March)
  • Mr. Boss (Smiling Friends) (April)
One Year Celebration (All of May)
  • Gandalf (Early May)
  • Shazam (Clone of Black Adam, mid May)
  • Godzilla (Late May)
This is a total shot in the dark, of course. Probably too optimistic.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Beetlejuice is also there and would have the perfect time to come out for his movie, and if the datamines are to still be used a little bit Daenerys would be the 3rd villain.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Daenerys isn't a full villain (don't wanna spoil too much) but I'd say would count and house of the Dragon s2 is July

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Fumoleaks the guy that posted the Jason in-game model claims that we are going to get characters every 2 weeks

Source

They haven't learned their lesson haven't they?
That depends on if they have enough done to keep the flow steady.

If they can manage that. The game is sure to succeed. But for how long can they manage that?

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Fumoleaks the guy that posted the Jason in-game model claims that we are going to get characters every 2 weeks

Source

I'm just playing devil's advocate here but mmmmaybe they used the long gap to build a decently big backlog of already finished characters? I know adding new modes and switching engines took a lot of dev time but maybe there's a chance?

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Source

On my prediction roster, I had four characters a season, which averages out to slightly more than one a month. Even that felt unrealistic. There's no way they can sustain two characters a week for any reasonable amount of time. Maybe this is the plan for Season 1, and things will become more reasonable later on. That's my only hope.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would imagine, and hope, that they’ve been able to develop multiple fighters to hold off and release consistently over the course of the season. That doesn’t seem very unrealistic to me. Especially since many of the speculated names are implied to have been planned and worked on way back during the original beta release.

Teased characters like Wicked Witch and Raven are names we’ve been hearing about since effectively the beginning.

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
I would imagine, and hope, that they’ve been able to develop multiple fighters to hold off and release consistently over the course of the season. That doesn’t seem very unrealistic to me. Especially since many of the speculated names are implied to have been planned and worked on way back during the original beta release.

Teased characters like Wicked Witch and Raven are names we’ve been hearing about since effectively the beginning.
Yeah, it's possible they can make it work if they've always got like 5 finished characters in the garage ready for release whenever they feel like

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Will I do agree that a character every 2 weeks sounds a lot, the fact that among the first season 1 characters are character that didn't leaked at all in the beta day (Jason, Banana guard and Smith) makes me think that not only they're probably sleeping on the 20+ characters that was datamined in the beta, but they were probably working on many new characters in the hiatus period like Jason and Smith, so they might be sleeping on 40+ characters (which could be either finished or near completion). If my number is right, that would mean have fighters until late 2025 (40 characters = 80 weeks, which lead to december 2025) which seems very good to me.

Either way, releasing characters too slowly is not a good idea too. The team obviously don't want to be shutdown, and with how competitive the market of online game is, you need news pretty often to stay relevant. On top of that, it would be a huge shame to have the game shutdown with many characters not released, because all the dev work would be lost forever, so it's better to released them at a pretty decent rate.

Faso115

Smash Lord
So what the hell is Jason's status mean for the future? Cause AFAIK, he should be our first Third Party character.

Which is a decent start, but those tend to be the ones the muddle the waters the most concerning speculation, ESPECIALLY given how Multiversus really has no "rules" against anyone like smash does.

Imma place an arbitrary rule: We should expect any character teased in this trailer after Smith. It's unlikely to get someone entirely unrelated, although this is not first time this rule has been broken (Announced Rick and Morty for S1, then at release show Stripe and Black Adam when morty launches but between those characters somehow Gizmo comes out before anyone aforemention except Morty)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Neo could still come. They announced Stripe before Gizmo.
I think the reason why we're getting Agent Smith and not Neo to rep The Matrix is because of the difficulty in getting the rights to use Keanu Reeves's likeness.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So what the hell is Jason's status mean for the future? Cause AFAIK, he should be our first Third Party character.

Which is a decent start, but those tend to be the ones the muddle the waters the most concerning speculation, ESPECIALLY given how Multiversus really has no "rules" against anyone like smash does.

Imma place an arbitrary rule: We should expect any character teased in this trailer after Smith. It's unlikely to get someone entirely unrelated, although this is not first time this rule has been broken (Announced Rick and Morty for S1, then at release show Stripe and Black Adam when morty launches but between those characters somehow Gizmo comes out before anyone aforemention except Morty)
Jason isn't third party. The rights were transferred back to WB from Paramount in 2018; there's just been a legal battle with the creators over where, who, and how he can be used. Technically speaking he has always been WB property for MvS's sake

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
He's not. The closest equivalent in Smash would probably be Pokémon. There are multiple parties who have claims to Jason's ownership, but one of them is absolutely WB, through New Line Cinema.

Last edited:
Top Bottom