• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Should the Victory Themes be updated?
Yes. I would very much like them all to be remixed like they did for the first three games, especially if we're keeping the truncated compositions. It would also mean that more character specific themes could be added, which is a plus (even knowing that they probably wouldn't go hog wild on them like I'd like).

Also this guy dissed hating on the Counterattack remix so I re-listened to it to figure out why it's not as good 'cuz it's not just "ew electric guitars come in sooner".
  • Dunno if it's compression, or just the guitar tuning, or what, but the entire song sounds flatter to me.
  • After the first refrain, the original builds up tension, then releases into the next verse. The remix crashes its car back into the first verse.
  • Because it axed the other two verses, the song feels much more repetitive.
  • The instruments just...don't go as hard. They don't carry the feeling of the song as well. I imagine this is how people who love listening to live concerts feel about listening to recordings of them.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
No one likes vertical scrollers,
I think they'd be okay if they didn't do the annoying speed up thing.

If they just continuously progressed at a slow, steady pace, they'd be fine.

Because being in place is what he does in most of his appearances? If he jumps as he did in Star Allies, he’d just jump to the opposite end of the walk zone, where he would then continue to be static and dish out the same attacks.
To be fair, that's not that different to what Dracula does now.

You could use the DarthEnderX idea, but now that walking segment is filler and you have to wait for him to fly over the character.

And where else would he fly to?
Well, in Triple Deluxe, in addition to flying overhead, he also hops across the screen and moves back and forth between the background and foreground.

To me, that is not an engaging Smash Boss.
I think he'd be fine. Huge Bosses lacking mobility is a video game tradition.

Thinking about it, Boss Ridley probably was the main reason it got cut and potentially not for the reason often brought up. We do have other boss stages like Wily's Castle and Gaur Plains, but Ridley on Pyrosphere was far more involved than either, having a unique mechanic that had him support the character that beat him up the most (ironically the most criticized part of the boss), his defeats contributed to stocks, more moves overall and even a separate 'form' that likely required a good amount of work put into him to make it function. With all of that work that likely was put into it and would at least partially have to be repeated to bring it back, it probably wasn't considered worth it as there were other stages that could use that time better.
They could have just made him into a stage hazard by making him a background element that launches attacks at the stage. The same way Kraid is.

You could argue cutting the boss from the stage could've been an option, but none of the stages removed a mechanic like that at base (at least offhand) and they probably felt that he was too ingrained in the identity of the stage as they made it to revamp it in such a way.
Wasn't Metal Face cut from Gaur Plains in Ultimate?

Stage bosses were not a great idea anyways, imo. They kinda all suck.
They really kinda do. I much prefer dedicated Boss battles.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think they'd be okay if they didn't do the annoying speed up thing.

If they just continuously progressed at a slow, steady pace, they'd be fine.

To be fair, that's not that different to what Dracula does now.

Well, in Triple Deluxe, in addition to flying overhead, he also hops across the screen and moves back and forth between the background and foreground.

I think he'd be fine. Huge Bosses lacking mobility is a video game tradition.

They could have just made him into a stage hazard by making him a background element that launches attacks at the stage. The same way Kraid is.

Wasn't Metal Face cut from Gaur Plains in Ultimate?

They really kinda do. I much prefer dedicated Boss battles.
Metal Face is still there in Ultimate.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The idea that Metroid Other M Ridley's appearance in Pyrosphere along with Ridley's edition as a playable character being the reason why it was cut is kinda funny because:
  1. They aren't the same entity.
  2. They can't be confused with each other.
They could legit just done what the Duck Hunt stage does when you play as Duck Hunt: Absolutely nothing.

I'm starting to feel like this thread would take any excuse to argue that protagonists are a terrible way to represent any series (unless they happen to be a scrimblo).
I thought about this for a while and started typing a post, but then I realized it was just a super wordy way of saying "people want who they want, so if there can only be one, then who they want is all that interests them".

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Metal Face is still there in Ultimate.
Is he? Weird. I don't remember him.

I'm starting to feel like this thread would take any excuse to argue that protagonists are a terrible way to represent any series (unless they happen to be a scrimblo).
Series I think are better repped by antagonists than protagonists:
Soulcalibur (Nightmare)
Diablo (Diablo)
StarCraft (Kerrigan)
Bioshock (Big Daddy)
Like a Dragon (that bloodthirsty yakuza scum, Kiryu!)

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Which they probably didn't have the time or resources for. Pyrosphere is made with boss Ridley in mind, changing him into a hazard would mean more work would have to be done on the stage as it'd have to be remade for the hazard in question. They're already trying to bring back over 100 stages on top of the other work they were doing, reworking one old stage to a notable extent was probably not feasible with what they had available.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Which they probably didn't have the time or resources for. Pyrosphere is made with boss Ridley in mind, changing him into a hazard would mean more work would have to be done on the stage as it'd have to be remade for the hazard in question. They're already trying to bring back over 100 stages on top of the other work they were doing, reworking one old stage to a notable extent was probably not feasible with what they had available.
Plus, it was confirmed outright all the stages were remade entirely. For... some reason not given. This means redoing the Pyrosphere is a huge hurdle. And honestly, with how much involved Ridley is, well.

There's a lot of stages that suffered too, since outside of those fused into one, they focused on making sure the gimmick was kept. For better or worse.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
RE: Whispy Woods boss.

Since the Kirby and Super Smash Bros. series function very similarly, any Kirby boss that uses the series's normal 2D mechanics would work. in Super Smash Bros. Now, would he be fun? I dunno. Whispy Woods is generally designed so you can just run him over, which is probably not what you want in a boss in Super Smash Bros. since a beginner friendly boss isn't really necessary there. That's not to say you can't make him tougher though, and I'd say the building blocks are there.

The main thing would be to have the things that fall from his canopy fall right in front of him so he doesn't have a blind spot there, and players would be forced to back off, or at least pay attention beyond avoiding his slow and obvious inhale attack. You could also throw in Whispy Woods DX's root attack as another variable to watch out for. After that, it's really just whatever the devs think would make the fight more fun. Have him jump around? Sure. Have him do a super big air bullet attack? Cool. Have him do Flowery Wood's background tomfoolery? Honestly, that would really make him stand out since very few bosses use the background like that. I think it's just Ridley and Rathelos on a technicality.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Counterpoint: Just do it anyway tho.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But do you know who we need most of all?

I would love to see the reaction of someone who doesn't know Resident Evil, see this guy as a Master Spirit and witness all the Resident Evil fans say, "Yeah that makes complete sense."

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Well then. Some interesting times ahead, to be sure.

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet

hydrogen bomb (next Nintendo console) vs. coughing baby (confirming it's existence randomly on Twitter)

One of the most "Nintendo moves" they could've possibly made. Never change Nintendo, that's the stoking of flames they're known for

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Please announce the next smash before the next fiscal year as well, I'm not sure how much more Ultimate 2 vs Smash 6 arguments I can take.
Watch it be an exact repeat of Ultimate where all we get is a teaser and, despite having a blatantly new logo, the sequel vs port discourse continues. :4pacman:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Are there any Ni no Kuni fans here? My wife's been playing Wrath of the White Witch nonstop for 3 days after getting frustrated with Another Crab's Treasure allegedly. Anyway her draw was the dev team and what not like it's a DQ type game and very similar in ways (I'll admit the soundtrack does sound on par and written by a much nicer person lol).
i've played the first one and thought it was great. oliver would be a neat addition to smash though admittedly as far level-5 characters go i'd rather layton and to-kai watch first but he'd still be cool. i've not played the second one but it didn't look as good.

funnily enough i've also been playing another crab's treasure recently as well, finished a couple days ago. it gave me the idea of bringing up the topic of underwater stages

i figured this would be the topic of the day. time to start saving up and start guessing which of the rumours where the accurate ones

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A couple of very interesting implications from that announcement.

First, it may not be that out there to suggest the June Direct could be proverbial last stand for a lot of absent franchises/unreleased titles this gen. Basically if there's not a new DK/Star Fox/Mario Sluggers and/or Metroid Prime 4 announced next month, then it seems very likely they're not coming till the successor system.

Secondly, the nature of the presumed September Direct will depend entirely on when Nintendo finally decides to formally announce the next system. They specified the June presentation will focus only on current Switch games, which leaves that Fall Direct pretty open content wise. On the other hand, it would make sense to do a general announcement about the proverbial Switch 2 in the fall for a Spring 2025 release, but not go into too many details until the latter year to still get that last big holiday season sales for the current system. Get the big heavy hitter titles revealed in June, with details about them and some small final Switch games for early 2025, with the understanding that such games are more or less closing out that system before the next gen.

This puts stuff like the Game Awards in potential play. While Nintendo often doesn't regard the VGA's as that critical for their hype cycle, revealing a big Switch 2 game there in front of a massive general audience could be significant for building excitement in the market.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the whole monster angle for Wesker is sorta silly, because Wesker would be cool and a great choice on his own merits lol. I don't think you have to go for the angle of him being a better rep for his series to justify him being a good option.

Glad they just directly laid out some of their plans.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
The Switch 2 is getting nearer. What games are you all expecting for the end of the Switch and the start of the next system?

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet

-Actual real Switch 2 updates (kinda) (its close enough)

tim red eyes.jpg

Aw yeah

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The Switch 2 is getting nearer. What games are you all expecting for the end of the Switch and the start of the next system?
hard to say. a number of people suggest a few more ports

as for the start of the next Mario kart would probably be near the start. likely get some 3rd party ports that couldn’t run on the switch

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

This isn't a Switch 2 announcement.

This is an NX 2 announcement.

Stratos

Smash Ace
If with the new Nintendo console they mention Luigi's Mansion 4, then I guess that case there will be related to museums, but even if this case is not there, I think for originality many ghosts that Luigi will hunt in Luigi's Mansion 4 will be the following ghosts:

Clown
Fakir
Postman
Blacksmith
Ancient native American warrior
Samurai
Ninja
Sumo wrestler
Football player
Basketball player
Tennis player
Volleyball player
Golfer
Baseball player
Skier or snowboarder
Cheerleader
Rock and roll singer
Rally driver
Cowboy
Karate teacher
Super hero or super villain
Barber
Librarian
School teacher
Scout
Bear
Ancient African warrior
Doctor
Colonel or infantryman
Ship captain or sailor
Group captain or pilot
Big rat
Big cockroach
Farmer
Beggar
Convict in black and white striped prison clothes
Snake
Big wasp
Hunter in jungle
Cartoonist or sketch artist
Sculptor
Eagle
Bull
Bullfighter
Garbage collector
Ancient Viking
Ancient Greek hoplite
Ancient Roman gladiator
Motorcyclist or biker
Gambler
Hippie
Shepherd
Big vulture
Big crab
Big worm
Embalmer
Executioner (I'm not sure if I want this)
Gravedigger

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel like the whole monster angle for Wesker is sorta silly, because Wesker would be cool and a great choice on his own merits lol. I don't think you have to go for the angle of him being a better rep for his series to justify him being a good option.
He's also just...not a monster. I mean, I'm sure he's done some pretty terrible stuff, but design wise, he's human with cool eyes.

That being said, his moveset could be really cool judging by what he does in MvC3.

Now I kinda wish he was in MvCI. I know they picked Nemesis instead for story reasons, but Wesker could have been stuck in the same spot and impacted the story the same...which is probably a bad thing. Kinda like how Dormamu's plot contribution was "hello, Firebrand and I are here now so it's time for you to die. Oh I lost the combat? Well I guess I'll piss off for the rest of the story"...Oh my goodness they Necalli'd him!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My real biggest hope for Switch 2 is for it to have functional joycons, but the pessimist in me says Nintendo will try to give them a wacky new functionality that only works for like 2 games and raises the price by another 10 dollars (and the sticks still drift)
I agree with this but also for the pro controllers. The controllers were really comfortable to hold but all of mine ended up drifting pretty quickly. I went through four of them before I just gave up and bought an adapter that let me use my PS4 and X-Box 360 controllers to play Switch.

Top Bottom