• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think 25 is too soon... New system will be out next year but Smash will be in 26 I believe.
I just looked quick so some of the information might be wrong but it looks like the longest period of time between Smash releases is just over 6 years. Ultimate came out in 2018 so a new game next year seems reasonable going by past release schedule.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I just looked quick so some of the information might be wrong but it looks like the longest period of time between Smash releases is just over 6 years. Ultimate came out in 2018 so a new game next year seems reasonable going by past release schedule.
Yeah iirc the longest time was between Melee and Brawl... I think if they'd released the new system end of this year we could see a smash next year but they're not even announcing the system until sometime this fiscal year which technically runs until next April so it's possible we could be waiting a while to even see the next console which is why I feel like 2026 makes the most sense - for now that is. If we get a console announcement before the fall it could be sooner.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I really hope they don't do this. Precedence says they will but just...Please let these games breathe.
Or at least give one of the two series to another developer so they don’t have to split their resources and rush the games more than they already are. I’d love to see a side series along the lines of Colosseum and XD made by another experienced JRPG developer alongside GameFreak’s mainline games.

Something I think could be really fun for a side series is to make a Pokémon game set in a fantasy world structured like a traditional story driven JRPG like the classic Final Fantasy games. The battle system could bring back triple battles as the primary battle type to function like a classic party system. The Pokémon’s abilities and stats could be tweaked to keep them in line with classic RPG jobs while keeping what makes them stand out. Like Chansey would fill the role of your White Mage and Lucario could be you Monk. Something like that. There would still be a catching system and a huge pool of potential playable characters but probably closer to the original 150 number due to the increased battle complexity.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Though Ult had much more DLC than past games, which may stretch the timeline out further, esp. since they didn't go straight from Ult to working on the next game like they did after 4's DLC.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
my expectations for smash are 2028
makes most sense timewise if sakurai stopped working on smash after sora then whoever is doing a new one or sakurai probably started choosing characters in 2023 or 2022.

with the new bandai namco studios being set up this year solely to support nintendo. smash 6 has probably started development this year. or it went into full production

past release shceduels dont hold up in this indsutry considering budgets and graphical fidelity nowadays.

ultimate had a shorter dev cycle because it reused every smash 4 assesst they could.

same goes for a lot of nitnedo.

2d mario, 3d zelda and smash wont be coming until much later.

early on animal crossing, 3d mario, mario kart, kirby, splatoon, fire emblem, metroid, donkey kong are probably their switch 2 launch games if i had to guess.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’d say we judge it by when the dlc ended. Ultimate may have come out nearly 6 years ago but it feels like it ended more recently

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I was speculating for quite a while that they might do the same thing they did with Switch by revealing in the fall and releasing the following spring. Looks like that will happen now, though it may not have been the original plan.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Or at least give one of the two series to another developer so they don’t have to split their resources and rush the games more than they already are. I’d love to see a side series along the lines of Colosseum and XD made by another experienced JRPG developer alongside GameFreak’s mainline games.

Something I think could be really fun for a side series is to make a Pokémon game set in a fantasy world structured like a traditional story driven JRPG like the classic Final Fantasy games. The battle system could bring back triple battles as the primary battle type to function like a classic party system. The Pokémon’s abilities and stats could be tweaked to keep them in line with classic RPG jobs while keeping what makes them stand out. Like Chansey would fill the role of your White Mage and Lucario could be you Monk. Something like that. There would still be a catching system and a huge pool of potential playable characters but probably closer to the original 150 number due to the increased battle complexity.
Yeah, I'm worried that Pokémon Legends Z-A will be "Tech Demo 2: Electric Boogaloo" and following that up with "Gen 10: The Bugs are Still Here" is not going to end well.

That idea sounds super fun though!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
About the next Smash Bros. game...

In regards to others' replies to Gengar84 Gengar84 , I think the DLC for Ultimate won't have much of an effect on the next game being released six years after Ultimate released. Sure, it took a lot of work, DLC wise, but I am sure game sequels can be made after DLC or updates are completed for a game. I mean, not the best example, since it is another company, but look at Sonic Frontiers; that game had its DLC updates released last year, and it is said that they are already working on the next Sonic game. This can't be the only example, too. Plus, if Sakurai is working on the next Smash Bros. already, it makes sense since he is a workaholic, kinda irrelevant, but still. I know Nintendo is not Sega, but let me point out they worked on Tears of the Kingdom after Breath of the Wild's DLC was finished; I know, it was for different reasons, but still, it is not out of the blue.

So, I still expect the next Smash to come out in 2025 or 2026, but still.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Whatever way the Switch 2 works and operates, we know we'll welcome it and be comfortable handling it whether it's with jyo-cons or anything else. I also can't wait for the Nintendo Direct that will mention Switch 2 and Super Smash Bros. 6.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
The thing is that the Smash development team was said to have been disbanded after the end of the DLC, if the infamous Studio S is them (which seems likely) they only reformed... about barely one year ago?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And can turn into a monster.
I haven't played the games so I'm mostly going off of tropes, but it seems like turning into a monster is a bad thing for him. Doesn't mean they won't add it. I dunno how they'd handle him, but if they're going for a "cool evil men in black" type feel I'm not sure they'd even include monster form beyond maybe the Final Smash.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I haven't played the games so I'm mostly going off of tropes, but it seems like turning into a monster is a bad thing for him. Doesn't mean they won't add it. I dunno how they'd handle him, but if they're going for a "cool evil men in black" type feel I'm not sure they'd even include monster form beyond maybe the Final Smash.
Just going by the "not a monster" aspect of the sentence.

Because yeah, he counts just by what he can do by RE5. Just isn't grotesque 24/7 like Nemesis. :p

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The thing is that the Smash development team was said to have been disbanded after the end of the DLC, if the infamous Studio S is them (which seems likely) they only reformed... about barely one year ago?
Not that it possibly means anything, but I think the team for Smash 64 and Melee, maybe just Melee, disbanded after Sakurai left Nintendo, and I believe Smash 4 was made by a different team from Brawl, so I am not sure if we can say if teams disbanding can affect the release of the next Smash Bros. game.

In Melee's case, I am aware it was a while between Smash Bros Brawl and Melee, but Brawl in particular was announced in 2006, so there is that.

Even then, Sakurai finished the last update for Smash Bros. not too long ago, by then he was done with Ultimate, if he was already done before, so there is that.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Is Wesker still dead or they brought him back?
IIRC, he’s still dead after RE5.

Anyways, let’s say that both Chrom and Lucina were assist characters in Robin’s Final Smash (Chrom would assist M!Robin, and Lucina would assist F!Robin). This means they wouldn’t be the Echo Fighters of Marth and Roy, respectively.

If this was the case, who would you pick to be Marth’s Echo Fighter in Ultimate?

For me, it’d be Celica.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm going to be an optimist and say late 2025 for a new Smash.

That would allow Sakurai to have about a year to take some time off, prepare the content for his YouTube channel, and work on the design document for the next Smash game. Formal development would then begin at the start of 2023, which would give the Smash team a little under three years to build the design document into another game. This would line up well with the way Ultimate's development was handled, with the project plan being complete in 2015 and development lasting from 2016 to 2018.

It also lines up well with where Nintendo's other big franchises and development teams are likely at in terms of new projects. It's too soon for EPD No. 3 to have a new Zelda and EPD No. 10 to have a new 2-D Mario or Pikmin ready for a 2025 Switch 2 launch. EPD No. 5, No. 8, and No. 9 haven't released anything for a couple of years now, so that would provide time for a new Animal Crossing, 3-D Mario, and Mario Kart respectively.

That would mean we'd be getting a 3-D Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Pokemon Legends: ZA, and Super Smash Bros in the first year, which lines up well with the rumours of Nintendo delaying the Switch 2 to ensure the first year has a strong launch lineup. There's also a high probability that a Fire Emblem game could be in that list, given that Engage's code suggests a new release was intentionally held back.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Not that it possibly means anything, but I think the team for Smash 64 and Melee, maybe just Melee, disbanded after Sakurai left Nintendo, and I believe Smash 4 was made by a different team from Brawl, so I am not sure if we can say if teams disbanding can affect the release of the next Smash Bros. game.

In Melee's case, I am aware it was a while between Smash Bros Brawl and Melee, but Brawl in particular was announced in 2006, so there is that.

Even then, Sakurai finished the last update for Smash Bros. not too long ago, by then he was done with Ultimate, if he was already done before, so there is that.
64 and Melee were done in-house by HAL instead of teams formed exclusively for their respective Smash games, it's a different situation.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
IIRC, he’s still dead after RE5.

Anyways, let’s say that both Chrom and Lucina were assist characters in Robin’s Final Smash (Chrom would assist M!Robin, and Lucina would assist F!Robin). This means they wouldn’t be the Echo Fighters of Marth and Roy, respectively.

If this was the case, who would you pick to be Marth’s Echo Fighter in Ultimate?

For me, it’d be Celica.
Well the reasoning makes no sense, but if we're replacing Lucina, Alear seems like the most obvious choice.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm going to be an optimist and say late 2025 for a new Smash.

That would allow Sakurai to have about a year to take some time off, prepare the content for his YouTube channel, and work on the design document for the next Smash game. Formal development would then begin at the start of 2023, which would give the Smash team a little under three years to build the design document into another game. This would line up well with the way Ultimate's development was handled, with the project plan being complete in 2015 and development lasting from 2016 to 2018.

It also lines up well with where Nintendo's other big franchises and development teams are likely at in terms of new projects. It's too soon for EPD No. 3 to have a new Zelda and EPD No. 10 to have a new 2-D Mario or Pikmin ready for a 2025 Switch 2 launch. EPD No. 5, No. 8, and No. 9 haven't released anything for a couple of years now, so that would provide time for a new Animal Crossing, 3-D Mario, and Mario Kart respectively.

That would mean we'd be getting a 3-D Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Pokemon Legends: ZA, and Super Smash Bros in the first year, which lines up well with the rumours of Nintendo delaying the Switch 2 to ensure the first year has a strong launch lineup. There's also a high probability that a Fire Emblem game could be in that list, given that Engage's code suggests a new release was intentionally held back.
And I think Gen 10 will happen as well in 2025.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
And I think Gen 10 will happen as well in 2025.
I don't think this is the case. Rebooting the anime and not having a 2024 Pokemon release shows, at least to me, that the TPC is trying to reinvigorate its formula in light of criticism that Pokemon began receiving in the late 2010s (Games feeling undercooked, the anime doesn't go anywhere, etc.). It seems like Legends: ZA is their "All hands on deck" effort to avoid the mixed critical reception of Pokemon's Switch releases.

My guess is Gen 10 will likely be a 2026/2027 game that sets the standard for what mainline Pokemon will look like going forward.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Anyway, in regards to what Guynamednelson said above, I have one other thing to say...

Even if Melee and 64 were actually made by in-house teams of HAL, which I do not doubt, they are still different teams from the ones that worked on the games after. Sure, that may not be the same as teams disbanding here, but my point is that there have been different teams working on the games, especially those from after Melee. If Studio S is working on the next Smash Bros., and they have existed for about a year, that should be a good start in terms of working on the next Smash Bros. at this time, is it not?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They released 2 Pokémon games in one year that one time so they just GOTTA do it again!

Oy… :drsad:
They've also consistently released next gen mainline titles every three years since 2013 and the only titles that don't follow this pattern before that are Pokémon Diamond/Pearl and Pokémon Black/White.

There's nothing saying they have to (and they really shouldn't), but it's also highly likely given precedent.

EDIT: In case my wording's confusing (I'm not sure I got it exactly right myself), what I mean is that Gen 1, 2, and 3 are three years apart, as are Gen 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Gen 4 and 5 are the only ones with a longer gap between them and their previous generations (3 and 4 respectively).

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
There's nothing saying they have to (and they really shouldn't), but it's also highly likely given precedent.
They've also had annual releases (if you count DLC expansions that serve the function of a traditional third version) since 2016. If you explain away no 2015 release by noting that TPC was likely using that time to prepare for the series' 20th anniversary, you could even stretch this pattern back to 2012.

It seems that Sword and Shield's reception scared Game Freak and the TPC, which is seen in how Pokemon feels like it's been throwing way more crap at the wall in the past 5 years than usual. "Take the time to make modern entries as polished and feature-rich as Gens 1 through 5" is the most popular suggestion from fans, so I think TPC are taking that to heart and are going to give Game Freak the time necessary to make proper titles on par with the rest of Nintendo's lineup.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
In terms of predictions for Smash's release date, I'm going to say either late 2025 or Spring 2026.
How long would that be in development compared to Ultimate? Let’s assume production began when Bandai revealed Studio S, that would be starting from Nov. 2023.

Top Bottom