• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The moment any of those AI leaks show us Master Hand, it's so over for them :4pacman:
I think I know what you mean, but to clarify, what did you mean by this?

Oh yeah, I'm prepared for those types of leaks I'm not gonna believe anything until officially confirmed by Nintendo themselves.
Exactly! Neither will I!

Outsourcing the online to someone who knows how to make a good netcode.
Well, if that means better internet for Smash, I am down with that.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You know, with AI now a thing, we might be getting more fake leaks that are convincing. Things will be scary, especially with fans who may believe such fake leaks.
I was literally going to mention that. How with AI becoming alot more accurate and powerful in a short time. Like anyone who has seen those Open AI Sora videos recently, those were around a year after the infamous Will Smith eating spaghetti AI video. We still have a year until the Switch 2 comes out and the next Smash Bros is more than likely still not going to be out for a while when the Switch 2 releases.

Like it's one thing to know that AI will be prominent with fake leaks and we will have our fun with them one way or another, whether we joke around with them and don't take them at face value or join in for the lols(while making it 100% certain that it's not real). That said, right now while it's been getting better, it's still somewhat easy to spot what is AI-made. What will it be like when the "Smash leaks" start? Because it's going to be frightening if it reaches that point where the AI images of "leaked characters" potentially look better than the actual announcements do.
And while some may be certain that such AI image leaks will never better than the actual announcements, I'm 100% positive people will bicker with the stages when the AI image has a more unique-looking stage than the actual stage we get if it turns out to be another early-game level stage.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
So, what kind of hopes do you all have for the next Smash Bros. anyhow?
Regarding gameplay:
  1. More party modes. Stuff like Smash Run, a King of the Hill mode, a 3D arena mode, honestly any major multiplayer mode that isn't normal Smash.
  2. More stage diversity, as others have said.
  3. Good online.
  4. An assist fighter mechanic like Fraymakers would be sick and allow a lot more characters that aren't fighters to join in on the fun.
  5. Moveset overhauls/redesigns for Ganondorf, Sonic, Olimar, and other characters that need it.
  6. Revert Final Smashes to how they were in Brawl, and let them be creative again.
Regarding aesthetics:
  1. More stuff DONE with the crossover aspect. If we're never allowed to have cutscenes ever again due to the internet... existing, then I'd settle for at least a fully original CGI intro like Melee.
  2. No more animal voices.
  3. A distinct art style. Cel-shaded, gritty, I really don't care as long as it doesn't look like Ultimate or Smash 4 (since those two look very similar to one-another as-is).
One last thing: my most pie in the sky idea is for Nintendo to create a feedback form/survey on what we like/dislike about the series. Something to serve as a direct pipeline to the devs that we want an updated Ganondorf, Olimar to act like himself, not as many world-1 stages, etcetera. It'll probably never happen. but dang it, it'd probably be the one thing I'd want the most out of all of these.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I was literally going to mention that. How with AI becoming alot more accurate and powerful in a short time. Like anyone who has seen those Open AI Sora videos recently, those were around a year after the infamous Will Smith eating spaghetti AI video. We still have a year until the Switch 2 comes out and the next Smash Bros is more than likely still not going to be out for a while when the Switch 2 releases.

Like it's one thing to know that AI will be prominent with fake leaks and we will have our fun with them one way or another, whether we joke around with them and don't take them at face value or join in for the lols(while making it 100% certain that it's not real). That said, right now while it's been getting better, it's still somewhat easy to spot what is AI-made. What will it be like when the "Smash leaks" start? Because it's going to be frightening if it reaches that point where the AI images of "leaked characters" potentially look better than the actual announcements do.
And while some may be certain that such AI image leaks will never better than the actual announcements, I'm 100% positive people will bicker with the stages when the AI image has a more unique-looking stage than the actual stage we get if it turns out to be another early-game level stage.
That won't happen for Smash 6, through.
No way that AI gets THAT good in like 2027 when the game probably has a chance to relasing, don't get me wrong current AI is impressive, but AI doesn't really know how most videogame characters even look like, you can't really tell an AI "make a Smash Bros. render of Ahri from LoL", he can ONLY do very well known pop culture characters and even then he does mistakes and i doubt AI will be able to make a video of them either, at least not this soon.
Maybe by Smash 7, then AI leaks like that might happen, but AI is not advanced enough to do stuff like that yet, we'd have a pretty regular pre-release.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
One thing's for sure, we won't be seeing AI-generated character select screens.

Unless someone thinks we'll really be convinced by a menu that lists characters like "Maroioi", "Pichaika", "Donkkdonkeykong", and "Neew Swper Snnnasn Brros Chteractrr Selllct Scrreeeeeen".

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
No more animal voices.

DK, Diddy, K. Rool and Bowser now have their respective canon, original voice.
But everyone else have more "realistic" noises!
  • Bowser Jr. has Bowser's old voice clips but pitched up
  • Yoshi now has Dinosaur sfx
  • all the humans character now sound like normal humans

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing with DK/Diddy/Bowser? ...Those are their original canon voices. They were always animal-like.

It wasn't till way later they started to have actual voice lines. It was the cartoons and anime that gave them actual voices first, non-canon stuff(though still fun stuff).

I never found it bothersome for DK and Diddy. Bowser was changed up to be more wrestler-like, so him having something a bit different would also fit his new style better. They fit just fine with the Kongs. They're still accurate, after all. Outdated does not mean inaccurate. If they were to change their playstyle to be less animal-like to much a bigger degree, I could see it making more sense to have the voices fit their style. But it really meshes well with their current design.

Now, some more stage variety for DKC? That is vastly needed.

Ivander

Smash Legend
One thing's for sure, we won't be seeing AI-generated character select screens.

Unless someone thinks we'll really be convinced by a menu that lists characters like "Maroioi", "Pichaika", "Donkkdonkeykong", and "Neew Swper Snnnasn Brros Chteractrr Selllct Scrreeeeeen".
That's assuming all AI-generated leaks will not have the occasional photoshop expert to help with making their leak look more convincing. All of the AI-images that were simply just generated will be easy to spot. Not so much the ones that are both AI-generated and photoshopped by someone who's good at photoshop/editing/etc.
Given Nintendo's reluctance to hop onto to certain game/technology trends, them utilizing AI feels some ways off anyway.
I certainly don't see them doing what other companies are mainly looking into doing with voice actors, image generation, etc. But in terms of the AI that is meant to help with things like animating characters(like moving limbs, walking and running animations, that sort of stuff), potential upscaling, coding, things to basically help make certain tasks take less time or fix errors and bugs faster, I don't see Nintendo ignoring.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That's assuming all AI-generated leaks will not have the occasional photoshop expert to help with making their leak look more convincing. All of the AI-images that were simply just generated will be easy to spot. Not so much the ones that are both AI-generated and photoshopped by someone who's good at photoshop/editing/etc.
Yeah I was really just trying to make an "AI can't do text" joke. I know "AI can't do hands" is the big anti-AI meme but I think AI is just as bad if not worse when it comes to adding text to images.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nintendo goes nuts with copyright. Like, more than your general company would otherwise. It's not unjustified in itself, but still.

Generative AI is art theft. There's no way in hell they'd be for it, since it goes against what they stand for. There's nothing to worry about.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So, what kind of hopes do you all have for the next Smash Bros. anyhow?
I have 3 options. A deluxe port of Ultimate with new content, a new game with some cuts, or a spinoff/sequel. And I decided to share my ideas for the themes for each one. For a Ultimate port, spirits who were forgotten though time and lost their color and identity. For a new game, war and the fighters represents miniatures. For a spinoff/sequel which is Super Bash Sisters, instead of a boy playing figures, it's a girl playing with dolls in a toy house and the right hand is a female version of Master Hand, but Crazy Hand will be the same and they pit against each other.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The thing with DK/Diddy/Bowser? ...Those are their original canon voices. They were always animal-like.

It wasn't till way later they started to have actual voice lines. It was the cartoons and anime that gave them actual voices first, non-canon stuff(though still fun stuff).

I never found it bothersome for DK and Diddy. Bowser was changed up to be more wrestler-like, so him having something a bit different would also fit his new style better. They fit just fine with the Kongs. They're still accurate, after all. Outdated does not mean inaccurate. If they were to change their playstyle to be less animal-like to much a bigger degree, I could see it making more sense to have the voices fit their style. But it really meshes well with their current design.
I think what bothers people so much about this is twofold:
  1. They didn't have animal/monster noises for too long, so less and less people will have grown up with them, making the choice seem super random to them.
  2. Voice lines are a part of what makes characters expressive, and while I wouldn't say these three aren't expressive, they do lack a lot of the appeal that they have in other games, and the voice is a big part of that.

Interestingly King K. Rool never really gets brought up here, and I think that's because IIRC, he's only ever been voiced once in Super Mario Sluggers and nobody really has an idea of what he should sound like, but also because everyone understood the assignment when characterizing him; nothing's missing, and every aspect of his character is pushed as far as it needs to for max appeal. Donkey Kong and Bowser on the other hand, have always felt a little off, and the voices are the most tangible aspect of that, but I think their animations could use another pass as well.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think what bothers people so much about this is twofold:
  1. They didn't have animal/monster noises for too long, so less and less people will have grown up with them, making the choice seem super random to them.
  2. Voice lines are a part of what makes characters expressive, and while I wouldn't say these three aren't expressive, they do lack a lot of the appeal that they have in other games, and the voice is a big part of that.

Interestingly King K. Rool never really gets brought up here, and I think that's because IIRC, he's only ever been voiced once in Super Mario Sluggers and nobody really has an idea of what he should sound like, but also because everyone understood the assignment when characterizing him; nothing's missing, and every aspect of his character is pushed as far as it needs to for max appeal. Donkey Kong and Bowser on the other hand, have always felt a little off, and the voices are the most tangible aspect of that, but I think their animations could use another pass as well.
Sure, but it's still accurate. That's why it never really mattered much nor was it a priority to actually pay extra money to voice them. They are still known for those voices due to the DKC Trilogy being a massive hit. That's why it actually works. It's less so with Bowser since he was changed to be closer to the newer games, whereas DK and Diddy were not. They still are mainly based upon their DKC design. So unsurprisingly they present it more than later games.

King K. Rool wasn't in multiple Smash games, so it's kind of hard to call him outdated in that aspect, but also, that. He's been a guttural growler for way longer.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If Scorpion and/or Sub-Zero ever gets into Smash and includes his own stage, I feel like it has to be from the original Mortal Kombat trilogy.

Maybe the Courtyard, the Pit, the Portal or Shao Kahn's Arena...
I want Shao Kahn's Arena so you get to be ****talked by Outworld's Kahn himself.

Last edited:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Apprentice
Just wanna say something, with how the games industry has recently been, you know, uh..... kind of imploding on itself.... that I'm glad Nintendo are the ones handling this series, opposed to any other AAA publisher
I definitely don't mean to disparage what you're saying or bring the mood down, since i get the angle, but it just reminds me that I feel like Nintendo has plenty of controversies themselves that aren't as well known. The most focus goes to their obvious legal nonsense, but even in terms of stuff directly relevant to Smash, the company has had allegations of union-busting and cutting contractors just for the suggestion of it, with it specifically being mentioned how even after thousands of hours of play-testing, the NOA playtesters were rejected from being featured in the credits of Ultimate by higher ups. We know that part is specifically true because the old noatesty leaks on reddit said the exact same thing and referenced how terrible the working conditions were. Beyond the more well-known non-union voice acting, Lani Minella hasn't been paid for reuse of her voice clips as Lucas. Or more extreme examples, like the Foxconn child labour scandle when the Wii U first came out, that's largely been forgotten since it happened in 2012. I think it's important to be aware of all that stuff, at least, even if Nintendo definitely seems much better managed on the whole compared to the countless people who have been suddenly laid off today.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
IIRC, K. Rool does have a voice in some of the Peon games and DK Barrel Blast. He also had some grunts (albeit, the generic Kremling grunts) in the DKC games and was fully voiced in DK64 for certain scenes.

So he actually has had a voice in most of his appearances.

Last edited:
Top Bottom