• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It’s kind of a shame that Delzethin and I seem to have such wildly different opinions on almost everything. His videos are entertaining and really well produced but I never really agree with his roster selections. I just watched his video for a theoretical Pokken 2 roster and he cut a lot of my favorites and added several of my least favorite Pokemon. I do agree with a lot of his Smash character moveset ideas at least. I’m afraid to even click his video about cutting Ultimate’s roster in half lol. Honestly, I think it’s just more that I have weird tastes than any kind of criticism towards his content. I’ll definitely keep watching the moveset videos.
did he cut Chandelure?

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Something that should change from the Smash fan base, is that we should stop saying "Scrimblo Bimblo" to refer the Cartoony Mascots. And now calling them "Gwimbly" as a new term.
And that's not a joke post.

In all seriousness, why the SSB fandom has the dumbest buzzwords?!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Lucina as an Assist Trophy is unrealistic with how popular she is. They would have made her playable anyway.
I didn’t say Assist Trophy. what I meant was that if you’re playing as M!Robin, Chrom would be part of the Pair Up Final Smash and if you’re playing as F!Robin, Lucina would be part of the Pair Up Final Smash.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Something that should change from the Smash fan base, is that we should stop saying "Scrimblo Bimblo" to refer the Cartoony Mascots. And now calling them "Gwimbly" as a new term.

I don't know, I love cartoony platformers but I find Scrimblo Bimblo pretty funny.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

The only other context I've seen Scrimblo is Tumblr, which is a heck of a cross pollination assuming the two sites didn't come up with it independently.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
He’s referring to this insane post that was made when we were all debating the legitimacy of the Grinch leak.

.... if the grinch leak isn't real, then the guy who made it has to be the craziest person in the world going out of their way to make incredibly boring cardboard cut-out models using promotional material from the upcoming Grinch movie because he's thinking 47 steps ahead and knows that both Bandai-Namco and Universal studios contract the same obscure French marketing company. To this end, he then got himself an office, printed out the name of an employee of said company, and haphazardly half blurred out the name because, once again, he's some kind of super genius beyond the mental capacities of mortal man and he knew that the internet's crack team of cybersleuths would find his red-herring name in seconds.

This absolute Einstein of social engineering also happens to moonlight as an expert artist and after presumably spending hours carefully cutting and pasting characters from the Smash poster, he then went out of his way to produce 7 more drawings of his own with obscure elements like vines for Isaac that hardly anyone would be able to make out, and then, for the fun of it, he saw to making a completely unique drawing of the blank version of Battlefield just because he could. He made sure that this fake roster of his perfectly mirrored one posted on 4chan last month by someone whose first language clearly isn't English because he knew that people would immediately make the connection to the French marketing company that he is pretending produced this image. The fact that 5 new characters lines up with the 5 missing stages from Corocoro was all part of his master plan. He also made sure this coincided with Nintendo renewing relevant trademarks.

The lengths you have to go to believe that this is all an incredibly elaborate leak would make this man one of the most intelligent people to ever walk the Earth. This guy would be more competent than the entire government of Saudi Arabia when it comes to fakery.

I suggest you think about which outcome is likelier here.
This and the Chadondorf "leak" full of swearing were just too funny.
The Grinch was the most fun week in Smash speculation ever imo, the guy who did it must have been insane

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Frankly, if we're down to 1, it should be Lucina as an Echo or just keep Robin. But I don't see Lucina ever leaving, and Chrom is as safe as Roy is. Robin has little reason to leave either, but is not as immediately easy as keeping Lucina.

Roy is the only one to even slightly worry about, and I don't see him in a bad position like before. I mean, if we were talking about a roster reboot size-wise, sure, but then again, Echoes might not be safe anyway in that regard(they're as safe as their parent is currently).

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

You mean you don’t popoff the wombo combo?

You don’t sex kick with the mad hoes?

You don’t even John?

That’s anime swordfighter mentality. That ain’t Falco of you to say. :falcomelee:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Most of those seem solid. But I want more Pokemon based on specific fighting styles. Even if they are all Fighting types.

Give me Hitmonchan with boxing!
Hawlucha with Lucha Libre!
Incineroar with Wrestling!
Quaquaval with Capoeira!
Two of the four you listed are there at least. I think I was a bit too focused on the fact that Blastoise and Scizor were cut and he added Cinderace and Quaquaval which are both among my least favorite Pokémon. Their inclusions make sense when you put it like that at least. I don’t really dislike any of the others but none were among my favorites either.

Noipoi

Howdy!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I didn’t say Assist Trophy. what I meant was that if you’re playing as M!Robin, Chrom would be part of the Pair Up Final Smash and if you’re playing as F!Robin, Lucina would be part of the Pair Up Final Smash.
Alright, I misread. My bad.

With that in mind, my answer is simple; Marth wouldn't have an Echo.

The circumstances of why Lucina came to be are entirely different than how Echoes were picked in Ultimate and I doubt Celica would have scored well on the Ballot when at the time, all she had to her name was a Japan-exclusive game.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Aight so random ramblings of stuff I think would be cool for next Smash
  • Separate Final Smash button, that's tripped me up too many times
  • Some way to even out the Final Smashes. There's a weird dissonance between Mario's Really Big Fireball and Ridley's epic cinematic. I was thinking you could differentiate between a "Super" Smash that's just a Special but bigger, and then a proper Final Smash for your cool cinematics
    • Also, more variety. There's also a problem where every Final Smash boils down to "I punch you a lot" or "cool cinematic," and after a while they kinda become homogenous. Bring back transformations; Yeah, people will try to run away, but that's what they do for every Final Smash anyways. And if we're doing Supers vs Finals, let both fighters pop an install and go head-to-head. That should keep people from running away
  • Going off the above, make a universal meter if every other newcomer's gonna have a funky gimmick. Give us a couple bars to fill, let some fighters spend their meter on their weird gimmickson top of their Final Smashes
  • Let fighters be Assist Trophies and vice versa. It's a big bummer if your favorite gets put in the snowglobe, so just write around that. Let Mario or Sonic or whoever be an Assist if they're not a fighter.
    • Except Waluigi. If he gets promoted, I want Waluigi and only Waluigi to be summonable even if he's a fighter on the stage. He's just kinda like that, y'know
  • Less "fighter-lite" ATs. There's too many ATs that just feel like they could've been a fighter but weren't, like Black Knight or Alucard. I prefer stuff like Lyn or the Burrowing Snagret, where they don't act like a fighter
  • Better stage diversity. We do not need that eleventh Grassy Level 1. And while we're at it, I do not feel anything for traveling stages or retro stages. Just make a single solid layout in the game's style and stick with it

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Not quite.

Alph being a "clone" and Rock Pikmin being considered "if possible" are two separate bullet points.
They are, but given which game introduced Rock Pikmin, it's pretty easy to connect the dots and assume they'd have been part of Alph.

It's ultimately just speculation, though.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
They are, but given which game introduced Rock Pikmin, it's pretty easy to connect the dots and assume they'd have been part of Alph.

It's ultimately just speculation, though.
They would have been part of Alph.....along with Olimar.

There's nothing that said exclusively Alph was going to have them. That's baseless speculation.
"But Pikmin 3" ....which also had the Flying Pikmin Olimar uses for his new Up Special despite that being "Alph's game".

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's also unfortunate that Pikmin & Alph couldn't be a 4th clone character, but it makes some sense;

• Notice the name? Yeah. That's correct. When being developed, Pikmin are always part of the full character.
  • That means if they can't change up both in an interesting way to any degree, it was much more difficult to figure out an idea.
  • Rock Pikmin takes a lot more work to create than the other 3 clones. It was unlikely to happen with the time allotted, hence part of why it's not among Olimar's options either. It's not just an Alph thing(also, considering how Rock Pikmin are similar to Purple Pikmin anyway, including size and both being powerhouses, they were unlikely to have any good ideas to separate them. Remember, none of the clones were anything like Daisy, Richter, or Dark Samus. They actually stood out in 4 reasonably so).
  • Alph respectively has no differences from Olimar outside of personality (and they were slightly different bodywise. The latter no longer mattered when Alph was redone into a costume, though), and Olimar was not even given any real personality to begin with(nor is Alph anything related to the lack of personality either. It was a conscious decision to make the Captain generic in Brawl alone).
Overall, it sucks, but it in a terrible position at the time. Ultimate was also in an even worse position, since Pikmin had nothing coming out at the time that was new, so it was natural low priority. The newest Pikmin otherwise was already an Up B move. It's not that there's an entire lack of options(Bulbmin, for instance), but since most of the current Pikmin at the time were quite different, they wouldn't have worked as an Echo either, due to too many differences. Which means that we're talking about a clone character that requires way more work than an Echo or even Dr. Mario(though maybe not as much as Isabelle), with no new games coming out at the time, and it's easy to see how Alph is still a costume at this time. Still unfortunate, but makes sense within a development context.

And yes, I would love to see him with different Pikmin/etc. too. But Pikmin & Alph was always a weird case.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Scrimbo Bimblo started off as a way to make fun of people who would write off JRPG characters as "anime swordfighters" by playfully jabbing at the types of characters that those people would suggest (in the creator's eyes).

It has since morphed into basically being a tool for the exact behaviour that was originally mocked: people using it as a buzzword to dismiss characters they can't be bothered doing research for and don't feel any personal connection to.

Personally, I think the whole terminology is kind of stupid. Characters should be judged on their own merits. Crash and Lloyd are incredibly distinct from, say, Bubsy or the dude from Hydlyde and attempts to group them together to discredit the former do nothing but make speculation worse.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace

You are a major contributor to the topic. Just saying.
9 times out of 10 if someone talks about a "Scrimblo" or a "McSwordGuy" in this thread, it's you.

And this has been brought to your attention more than once.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Nope, here's his roster if you're curious:
View attachment 388972
Oh, boy, a Pokken roster, I've been dying for one of these! And it even has Smeargle! Great! It--

1715118794758.png

...Where's Croagunk?

My Croagunk? My Toxic Mouth Pokémon? Don't tell me you cut Croagunk!

How am I supposed to enjoy this roster without my Croagunk?!

...Don't mind me, just being silly.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
btw on the topic of the new console, i've heard that it's apparently going to be a new model of switch. give me a minute or two i'll see if i can grab the tweet

edit: here we go. don't know who this guy is so no idea how legit he is

yes i have no idea how to imbed tweets

Last edited:

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet
btw on the topic of the new console, i've heard that it's apparently going to be a new model of switch. give me a minute or two i'll see if i can grab the tweet

edit: here we go. don't know who this guy is so no idea how legit he is

yes i have no idea how to imbed tweets
I gotcha covered. Click the three dots that show up in the editor toolbar (next to the emoji button) when making a comment, then click "Media" on the pop-up and copy paste the url in the spot where it says "Media URL"

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I have a question. As far as the whole grass stage thing goes, I'm pretty sure they're picked to show off the game as a whole, or at least the most recognizable locale within it. Keeping this in mind, which grass stages would you change, and which setting would you pick instead. The setting must be present within, and be based upon the same game as the stage you're replacing. Being pretty loose as to what constitutes a "grass stage" to avoid "but what about X", here are the stages in question:
  • Dream Land (Kirby Superstar)
  • Yoshi's Island (Melee) (Super Mario World)
  • Yoshi's Story (Yoshi's Story)
  • Green Greens (Kirby's Dream Land)
  • Mushroom Kingdom II (Super Mario Bros. 2)
  • Yoshi's Island (Yoshi's Island)
  • Green Hill Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog)
  • 3D Land (Super Mario 3D Land)
  • Golden Plains (New Super Mario Bros. 2)
  • Paper Mario (Paper Mario series)
  • Dream Land GB (Kirby's Dream Land)
  • Balloon Fight (Balloon Fight)
  • Mushroom Kingdom U (New Super Mario Bros. U)
  • Mario Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy)
  • Skyloft (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)
  • Gaur Plain (Xenoblade Chronicles)
  • Duck Hunt (Duck Hunt)
  • Windy Hill Zone (Sonic Lost World)
  • Super Mario Maker (Super Mario Maker)
  • Spiral Mountain (Banjo-Kazooie series)
  • Minecraft World (Minecraft)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I gotcha covered. Click the three dots that show up in the editor toolbar (next to the emoji button) when making a comment, then click "Media" on the pop-up and copy paste the url in the spot where it says "Media URL"

cheers

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I have a question. As far as the whole grass stage thing goes, I'm pretty sure they're picked to show off the game as a whole, or at least the most recognizable locale within it. Keeping this in mind, which grass stages would you change, and which setting would you pick instead. The setting must be present within, and be based upon the same game as the stage you're replacing. Being pretty loose as to what constitutes a "grass stage" to avoid "but what about X", here are the stages in question:
  • Duck Hunt (Duck Hunt)
This but Donkey Kong and all of the franchise's stages set in the jungle.
Like, DK games has diversity within level thematics. Factories, Carnivals, just to name a few.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
  • Duck Hunt (Duck Hunt)
1715121505272.png

I would be a lot more satisfied with a stage lineup like this.

Edit: Forgot that the Windy Hill replacement technically needed to be from Lost World. I'd choose that honeycomb-looking stage, I guess, but if I were on the team I'd just push for a non LW stage to begin with lol

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
You know, with AI now a thing, we might be getting more fake leaks that are convincing. Things will be scary, especially with fans who may believe such fake leaks.
Oh yeah, I'm prepared for those types of leaks I'm not gonna believe anything until officially confirmed by Nintendo themselves.
I've already seen some crazy Smash Bros AI generated images that look to real.

Last edited:
Top Bottom