• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*NEW* Official R.O.B. Boards Stage Discussion(Currently discussing Halberd) UPDATED!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
just quickly, you NEVER want to take ike to battlefield, its by far his best neutral, as his u-tilt, u-smash and u-air all cover an entire platform, and all 3 of those moves are some of his faster moves too, you land on a platform aginst ike, you are going to take a lot of damage.

onto the main bit. i reckon you should move onto final destination next, seeing as most r.o.b's will want to go there (or at least i do anyway) when they stage strike initially. also, most boards do all the neutral, then possible neutrals, then coutnerpicks.

Trillest

Smash Ace
Except for falco,icies and diddy everyone bans FD against me so i rarely get to play on it >< But is there really much to say about FD cept for that its big u live longer, have a harder time killing and can camp easier

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
just quickly, you NEVER want to take ike to battlefield, its by far his best neutral, as his u-tilt, u-smash and u-air all cover an entire platform, and all 3 of those moves are some of his faster moves too, you land on a platform aginst ike, you are going to take a lot of damage.

onto the main bit. i reckon you should move onto final destination next, seeing as most r.o.b's will want to go there (or at least i do anyway) when they stage strike initially. also, most boards do all the neutral, then possible neutrals, then coutnerpicks.
I agree, don't take Ike to BF.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Thanks for the rest of neutrals rPSI.

Sudai, did you test the bigger image? I think it would be better.
Nope. I just like the smaller one.
I changed it to the larger one. I feel like it looks better.

Well since rPSI did the neutrals, I guess we should pick a stage from them...
Now, choose the next stage you guys would like to do.

or

Should I choose for you guys?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah, either FD of smashville, those two and bf are the ones which people generally end up going to i very rarely end up being at yoshis or lylat.
personally, i tend to end up at battlefield, very few people know how good it is for ike XP
but yes, final destination, seems to be the peoples choice.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
ok just having a second to post I'll give my opinion, which could easily be debated.

From my past exerience.

stage is an 8/10 for me personally. It gives a good distance for spacing and projectiles.

Who I would take here (i base this off of my own personal experiences, not by statistics.)
Marth
DDD
Snake
wolf
luigi
lucario
G&W
Toon Link
Kirby
DK
Peach
Sheik
Ness
Lucas
Bowser
Ike
Falcon
Link
Jiggy
Ganon

Who i would NOT take here (again based on experience)
Fox
Falco
Sonic
Diddy
IC
Pikachu
Yoshi
Samus
Zelda

undecided either way
Pit
olimar
Rob
ZSS
PT
Mario

MetalPat

Smash Ace
TBH, there are much better stages to take Lucas.
I definitely agree, but the way i kind of did this was whether it was better for ROB to be on FD or other character. I have seemed to do better on FD against Lucas, so say it comes to stage striking and you had to choose between FD and lets say BF, Id much rather take him to FD.

TheMike

Smash Lord
If ROB's biggest advantage on FD is camping, this doesn't happen against Lucas. He can absorb our laser and reflect the Gyro with Fsmash. Lucas juggles pretty well by using his Uairs and Dthrow to Utilt on low %s, and on FD there isn't much space to avoid his juggles.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I'm not a fan of FD, or more I'm a fan of stages with platforms, I usually prefer BF, YI, or SV to it, but its mostly reliant on character MU.

I've updated your list with my opinions on it, mostly only take characters there that you can out camp and KEEP THEM AWAY with nothing they can do about it (Though for most there are better stages to fight them on). I left wolf since the sides hurt his recovery so much, and I left ness/lucas because platforms help their Up B so much.

Who I would take here (i base this off of my own personal experiences, not by statistics.)
Marth
wolf
luigi
Kirby
DK
Peach
Sheik
Ness
Lucas
Bowser
Ike
Falcon
Link
Jiggy
Ganon

Fox
Falco
Sonic
Diddy
IC
Pikachu
Yoshi
Samus
Zelda
ToonLink
G&W
Lucario
Pit
olimar
Mario

undecided either way
Rob
ZSS
PT
Snake
DDD

Nova9000

Smash Lord
FD works well when we can either outcamp them, or they need platforms more than us. With that said, I'd take the following here:
Jiggs
PT
Peach
Yoshi
Ganon
Wario
Marth
Ness
ZSS
Zelda
Sheik
Luigi
Snake
Wolf
Falcon

Heartstring

Smash Legend
oddly enough, taking ice climbers here is actually a fair good idea if you camp hard, if you wont let them approach, then theyll resort to coming in at bad times which means they take damge or firing ice blocks, and if you fire a gyro into the centre of hte stage it will eat the ice blocks, and you can just fire lazers at them if they get separated while doing this then you can approach and keep them separated.

if they get inside the 'bubble' though, use that dsmash, srsly, its unpunishable by anything on the ground, and icies will want to try to punish it with a grab (but i think thats just general)

anyway, all of that is based on you not allowing them to approach via gyro inthe centre.
but once again, you get grabbed and youre dead if they do it right

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Just gonna say

I <3 FD :bee:

There are 3 things FD has that distinguishes it for various other stages

1. The lenght of the main platform
  2. No platforms
  3. ******** edge

ok just having a second to post I'll give my opinion, which could easily be debated.

From my past exerience.

stage is an 8/10 for me personally. It gives a good distance for spacing and projectiles.

Marth
Snake
luigi
lucario
G&W
Kirby
DK
Peach
Sheik
Ness
Lucas
Bowser
Ike
Falcon
Link
Jiggy
Ganon
olimar
Yoshi
Zelda
PT
I would take these characters here because I don't feel like they have an advantage with the no platform attribute. With the length of the stage, I can be more camp happy, and some characters (though very few) get effed by the edge. The biggest factor here is the length for me.

Fox
Falco
Sonic
Diddy
IC
Pikachu
DDD
wolf
Pit
Wario
Some of these characters, I have to approach, and I don't wanna have to go though an extremely long stage to get to them :ohwell:. Other characters just **** the no platform attribute because without platforms, their ground game is at its strongest, and their ground game is already ridiculous as it is. In a specific matchup, with DDD, longer stage = longer chaingrab, and no platforms means he can hover and then counter camp us. I wanna camp under a platform vs him :(. Same with Wario camp under a platform so he can't be gay hovering all around me and looking for the dair combo ****.

undecided either way

Rob
ZSS
Toon Link
Samus
Mario
Mario & Toon link both seem like they can be out camped by rob, but every projectile that is thrown means something, you have to be on top of your projectile game. Same with Samus. And i guess the same goes for ROB obviously, and with ZSS, only scared of the beginning with the 3 suit pieces, after that, FD i believe is in my favor, but the longer she has the pieces, the better for her, and fd allows them to be tossed from side to side without them falling off stage.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
This stage gets 8/10 from me. It's long, but characters can juggle you here. This information is among the neutrals!
Don't take these here (all is not mentioned, but the worst):

Meta Knight (Uair).
King Dedede (Chain-grabs longer, unpunishable recovery + living forever).
Diddy Kong (Banana peels).
Ice Climbers (Infinitive Chain-grab).
Falco (Chain-grabing + laser camp).

Make sure to always have a gyro on this stage! It really can disturb!

Take these characters here (-||- best):

Mr. Game & Watch (landing lag which means punishable + much more space for you).
Snake (Snake can camp-spam projectiles, but so do you).
Another MU that you are used and comfortable with.

We can easily gimp here, but we can also get juggled. The edges are good for us, thanks to the angle of them and our recovery. Many seem to have problems with these (for example Ness, Lucas, Zelda). We can camp here too.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i apologise in advance for my ton of typo's

the dodgy ledge is good for us as it messes up a fair few characters. but the stage will normally end up beign a camping game or a running camper/chaser game. (meaning i hate it, but whatever) unless it someone like falco, theres no need to appraoch at any point.
also its quite easy for r.o.b to gimp off the side of this stage via the use of a ton of fair, srsly, fair till you have to come back, one is bound to hit them on their way back.

sadly, killing is made even harder by the large stage, and without any plotforms to make the upsmash easier to land, you have to resort solely on nairs and bairs to kill other than gimping.

i havent got much else to contribute, not exactly a r.o.b main anyway

Nova9000

Smash Lord
I think we have a general concensus of who to take and whom not to take to FD. What else do you need before you wrap up the FD discussion Mizu?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
This one is of course really matchup Dependant. Against stuff like Falco, or IC or Diddy, you know the deal. This is IMO our best bet against Meta Knight. The long boundaries make us live long and we don't give a **** about the ledge. Can't say much, but this really shouldn't be picked by Rob, it's usually better to bring your foes to Frigate or Japes.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
they recomend for this matchup actually taknig the ic's here, because they have no way of avoiding spam, gyro in centre of the stage means they cant use their projectile. and lazer spam forces them to approach in a punishable manner, i say this, ive never put it into practise, i stay ike for ic's XD

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Why not something like Frigate? You can still spam your laser and gyro there. The difference being that you have somewhere to run when needed.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
hmm yeah....we really need a bi of organisation on how we discuss these topics, like we already have who to take there and who not to take there etc.
but we really ought to have information on certain stages that are useful for us and big points in a stage that would be an advantage for r.o.b over others.
like for example on our current stage you have FD, in which should really suit r.o.b, because there are no platforms therefore its a lot harder for opponents to reach r.o.b's blnid spot and it also allows him to camp hard, there is also the dodgy ledge in which a well placed bair/fair could get a few character's stuck there and unable to get back on stage.

we all know that stuff anyway, but yknow, for other stages it would probably be useful giving categories to forfill before moving on...just sayn'

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Enough of FD, let's discuss YI ok? It's a weird stage for Rob, I can't tell if it sucks or not.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yes onto YI now:

shall i start?

defining features:
large, tilting platform
small main stage
high, thin blast zone
uneven surface on main platform and ledges which dip down.
'the ghost'

in my opinion, this is a bad stage for r.o.b. the small platform makes it a lot harder to camp properly and the stage isnt long enough allow a fulyl charged gyro to stop on it unless you fire it into the tilted plotform which can leave you open for a free attack. also the platform covers msot of the stage which means its easier for opponents to hit your base. the ceiling is fairly high so your nair/usmash kill EVEN later than normal because r.o.b primarily kills vertically.
also you have the ghost, which is the small platforms which occasionally come up for about 5 seconds on the side of the stage, although its pretty random, it can screw you over big time, because you could think youve gimped that falco, but then suddenly boom, the ghost pops up and practically gives the falco his stock back, and making your hard work wasted.

on the other hand...
youre f/b-throws become pretty valid kill moves if you holding them on the edge, and your b-air becomes your only real kill move, and seeing as its got possibly the longest lasting single hitbox in the game (wait, i forgot lucario's up smash) its going to work well for you, seeing as teh side blast zone is closer than on all of the other neutral's, you will be using f/b-moves to kill, which measn you usual best friend (the n-air) can be used for racknig damage, which is one thing its very good at along with the dsmash.

i still thikn that those plus point pale in comparison to the bad points of this stage

character i would take here:
falco
Dedede
pikachu (maybe)
fox
sonic
pit (for the sole reason he cant go under the stage and grab the opposite ledge)
samus

characters i would avoid playing here:
Snake
Diddy kong
Marth
Olimar
G&W
Toon Link(youve all seen that d-samsh gimp, sure it dosent work on us but it puts us in a bad position)
Kirby
Donkey kong
Wolf
Sheik

Not sure:
Everyone else

i think that works for the starter, people add/correct stuff on that, my r.o.b knowledge isnt exactly amazing

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I would say it's Rob's worst neutral, no doubt. The stage sucks for Rob, ruins the whole game. You have trouble camping, the slopes mess up moves like Gyro and dtilt and edgeguarding is limited. Also, the ghost only benefits foes, since it doesn't help Rob at all. By all means, don't ever pick this stage, but don't ban it either, we have worse stages and this one is neutral. I would ban it against Lucario thought.

Also, should we do a list of stages in order that we discuss? It would be a lot easier. I would do it so that all the starters/neutrals first, then all the legal stages in alphabetical order, how would you guys like that?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I would say it's Rob's worst neutral, no doubt. The stage sucks for Rob, ruins the whole game. You have trouble camping, the slopes mess up moves like Gyro and dtilt and edgeguarding is limited. Also, the ghost only benefits foes, since it doesn't help Rob at all. By all means, don't ever pick this stage, but don't ban it either, we have worse stages and this one is neutral. I would ban it against Lucario thought.

Also, should we do a list of stages in order that we discuss? It would be a lot easier. I would do it so that all the starters/neutrals first, then all the legal stages in alphabetical order, how would you guys like that?
actualyl i wouldnt take lucario here, the wall makes recovering easier for him (wall cling from recovery, he has a massive wall cling jump) but of course, there no point in taknig anyone here, you have much better choices.
well, i vote we do smashville next, followed by pokemon stadium 1, then lylat (seeing and pokestadium1 and lylat are the fifth meutral in different areas of the world)
then we can discuss the stages that we prefer from cp's, so frigate/rainbow/japes, and then go onto our hated ones, if we have any, i cant imagine r.o.b liking brinstar much though

Nova9000

Smash Lord
I wouldn't take anyone here. This stage sucks for ROB. The slopes hinder ROB's gyro, the slopes make edgeguarding for some characters (MK, Marth, ect.) easier. And it curtails our off-stage combat. Overall, it's a fail neutral for us, a 3.5/10 in regards to neutrals, but a 4.5/10 overall. I honestly don't know who to take here.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Take Lucas to something better, like Cruise where he is forced to do his crappy upB. Rob doesn't benefit enough from YI to get the advantage, while Lucas sucks in YI. Both of these apply in RC so it's better to take Lucas there. He has trouble to recover.

Sudai

Stuff here
I like Yoshi's over RC because of the crazy laser angles you can do. It makes it so you're more able to force a gimp than home he ****s up or rely on the stale and predictable camp game. The angles you can do on YI make it a huge risk to zap jump if ROB is good at aiming.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Why not take him to JJ? And I wouldn't purposely pick YI against Lucas either.

Top Bottom