• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*NEW* Official R.O.B. Boards Stage Discussion(Currently discussing Halberd) UPDATED!

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm not saying CP YI. There's better CPs, but I would take him to YI as my neutral over all other neutrals unless PS1 is on the neutral list for no reason.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Why on God's green earth would you take Lucas to Japes? It's one of Lucas' best stages (assuming it's legal). Even Mizu bans it against me.

Lucas doesn't do as bad on Cruise as you think, he double jump will usually get the job done, especially if he knows how to zap jump.

Yoshi's Island is Lucas absolute worst stage. He can't approach at all here and your camping becomes easier on him. The stage geography also makes it hard to n-air autocancel for him and you'll be able to get a free d-smash on him if he n-airs your shield in the wrong spot. I trust Mizu to make a good judgement.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
That's just what I would do. But the Lucas that I play ground camps often so that's where I take him. Guess hes doing something wrong...

And besides Lucas, who else would you actually consider taking to YI?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
with r.o.b, i dunno, but people might want to try wario, although hep robabl should never end up there, if he's next to the wall he cant recover with his bike, cause it will crash instantly, not sure about onstage though. i should imagine hes fine there.
also maybe pit, once again cause the side wall stop him from going underneath the stage to grab the ledge. giving you a practically free gimp if hes forced to use it

but this is only in terms of neutrals, there are better cp's to take them to

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I suggest to take Sonic here. I usually beat Sonic here, Sonic can't move so much here. And his B-recovery doesn't work very well here. I prefer this stage against Sonic at least.

Spin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
spinpai
i loathe this stage, it makes the gyro too hard to pick up with all the little hills and stuff, and the support ghosts are stupid. i usually always strike

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I see we're discussing YI. Sry, for not being for a while. I'll change/update the thread.
lol good to see OP is keeping up XD
nah, yoshi's is one of those stages which is a dubious neutral, sv, bf and fd are all legit neutral's, but YI, PS1 and lylat are questionable ones, i strongly recommend striking this stage against anyone who dosent.
seeing as weve pretty mucgh come to an agreement on the fact that this stage is dildos, shall we move onto smashville?

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I like edge guarding Lucarios on YI bc if you're on the ledge, and Lucario decides to get clever and wall cling right below you, then you hop down and foot stool him.

I also like YI for increased chance of teching a spike.

I hate DK here.

I never cp this stage lol (unless you're Ness)

Doesn't mean it's a bad stage, it just doesnt tickle me fancy.

Steam

Smash Hero
*random input*

Id definitely strike YI vs Luc if I were you but IDK about banning most feel he does better against ROB on BF and I personally would take ROB to brinstar. But YI wouldnt be a bad ban

edit: and what eric said about footstooling, you have to be quick though

TheMike

Smash Lord
I would say 6/10 is a good ratio. There's no stage spiking on YS, which means that ROB can go off stage safer than usual, and the platform is so bad because it covers almost the whole ground.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I would say 6/10 is a good ratio. There's no stage spiking on YS, which means that ROB can go off stage safer than usual, and the platform is so bad because it covers almost the whole ground.
yeah, but theres no stage spiking on ANYONE, and r.o.bv is possible the last character who would benefit from this, seeing as hes not going to get gimped by any dodgy ledge, where as other chracters might do (see wolf)
adding to the lucas discussion, he can random bounce straight back from where he cam by hitting the wall accidentally, this is the stage to take him to, but of course pk fire is so much moire effectivve here than any other neutral

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I would say 5/10 from me. It's hard to pick up your gyro here, it's a big platform which extends your blindspots (but you can camp under here, wich is nice). Your recovery is always good, but this stage increases the other's recoveries, for example that stage ghost. This stage is neither bad for you, but not good either.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I will write something on Yoshi's Island in soon, don't move on until then lol (pls :p)

also for FD, I really believe MK should be under both categories, I can see how no one wants to get Uair juggled here but seriously, I like the length for the camping purposes, I truly believe this is a legit CP vs MK, even ask holy nightmare lol.

TheMike

Smash Lord
yeah, but theres no stage spiking on ANYONE, and r.o.bv is possible the last character who would benefit from this, seeing as hes not going to get gimped by any dodgy ledge, where as other chracters might do (see wolf)
ROB can gimp characters. Everybody knows. And he won't get stage spiked if he is trying to gimp and the opponent avoids the attemp by hitting him. Besides, going off stage against Meta Knight gest safer. It's not enough to be regarded as a good idea though. :/

Heartstring

Smash Legend
ROB can gimp characters. Everybody knows. And he won't get stage spiked if he is trying to gimp and the opponent avoids the attemp by hitting him. Besides, going off stage against Meta Knight gest safer. It's not enough to be regarded as a good idea though. :/
i suppose, although really at a decent revel no-one should get stage spiked, you should be able to tech on the ledges anyway

TheMike

Smash Lord
I'm assuming two human beings are playing. So, it's impossible to tech everytime you want.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Stage spikes are way other league compared to normal walltechs. They are hard to do, before you realize, you have been shuttlelooped. Tech that.

Sudai

Stuff here
I know it's a lot harder in Brawl than it was in Melee. In Melee you had two 10 frame windows that were right on each other (10 frames where you can tech, one where you hit the wall, 10 where you can tech again). In Brawl, that same structure is there except it's 10 frames you can tech, 20 frames you can't tech, 10 frames you can tech. Or at least that's how I understand it.

Disclaimer: Numbers may be off. It's early in the morning.

Trillest

Smash Ace
Tbh Yoshi's is my single most hated nuetral for a few reasons

1: Curved edges mess with both our projectiles i.e. difficulty picking up drigger(gyro), bouncing lasers off the floor gives random angles
2: Curved edges also affect the angle of our moves ie downsmash and f tilt
3: Small stage makes camping a lot harder means you have to approach which isnt good in a few mu's (ddd/snake/etc)
4: The big platform helps other characters juggle us

I would say 4/10 this stage hinders all the pro's about playing rob except for gimping then again no stage spiking only really helps us agaisnt mk whereas its hinder other mu's (only slightly)

Who to take there: (not really sure i avoid this stage as much as possible)
Diddy Kong
Ice climbers ??
Falco(be careful of being juggled)
Metaknight(There are better options)

Who not to take there:
Wolf
Snake(with his stage control our only option is to approach)
Lucas (pk ****)
DDD(even though slanted ground hinders his cg its to easy on YI for him to get into your face)
Lucario(Only due to this stage being a personal fav of mine as Luc)

Rest of Cast: ???? (nfi)
Again not really sure but we need put up this list to help with stage discussions

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
I agree with trillest, horrible stage.
No under the stage recovery.
Wierd angles = hard Gryo pick up/Wierd laser angles
platrom gives vulnerability to to blind spots.

One thing thats good about it is you gyro bounces a bit more, throwing out more hit boxes on screen, but not an efficient option due to u must be in the right spots for it.

I know im leaving stuff out because most people have said it already.
Adding that to mine id give this hell hole of yoshis a 4/10

Trillest

Smash Ace
Its ok say to say my opinion is wrong but can you guys please provide a list of characters to take/not to take to YI. A major problem iv had is choosing the wrong counterpicks against certain characters so it would help new players and old for an accurate list of characters to take to certain stages.

Nowdays i just work off what stages i feel comfortable on but alsso keep in mind any gay **** my opponent might be able to do

Sudai

Stuff here
Nowdays i just work off what stages i feel comfortable on but alsso keep in mind any gay **** my opponent might be able to do
This is it. Only thing you need to add is remembering gay **** you can do too, but I'm sure you do and just forgot to mention that.

In this game, CPing comes down to the person you're fighting almost as much as the character, so it's really hard to nail it down on a character per character basis unless you want to list 2-3 for every char (which happen to usually be within the same pool of 4-5 stages depending on which region you live in). In which case, I'm too lazy to do all that so nyeah.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I used to not like YI, but I've found that it can be pretty good for ROB, just chill in the middle of the stage under the platform and space/camp, they cant approach from above, covering your blind spot, and it sets up for Uair/Utilts/Usmashes if they do end up above you.

Shooting the Gyro from center stage lands it perfectly at their feet outside your Ftilt.

and I feel like this stage can screw up other characters more than us. don't take diddy here the ledge helps his recovery.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I used to not like YI, but I've found that it can be pretty good for ROB, just chill in the middle of the stage under the platform and space/camp, they cant approach from above, covering your blind spot, and it sets up for Uair/Utilts/Usmashes if they do end up above you.

Shooting the Gyro from center stage lands it perfectly at their feet outside your Ftilt.

and I feel like this stage can screw up other characters more than us. don't take diddy here the ledge helps his recovery.
im guessing you mean a completely uncharged gyro right? i rarely ever actually fire one of those unless im in that point in time which which im like 'camp, run, camp, run, camp, ftilt, camp' etc. i normally charge it fully before using it because of the insane damage, and even if they do shield it, you can probably get there for when they do and do something or other

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Actually what I "try to"do is put a gyro on the platform above me and ftilt camp that way. If they try to get the gyro, an Uair or Fair can grab it for you and possibly hit them in the process. Plus its fun doing Uthrows through a gyro.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Don't take Peach to YI, her recovery is so slow a ghost can help her.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Yeah. Peach on YI = gay. Even if you "gimp" her she can just float on that ****ed parasol long enough for ghosty to come for her.
agreed, ok i dunno bout you guys, but i seriously reckon we should move onto smashville now, cause thats a dead cert neutral stage forever

Bees!

Smash Ace
Same that would be good to know. Also I hate YI vs MK and such. My biggest issue is I cant go under the stage if I am getting pressured too hard offstage. Also gyro game is hindered there.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
There are specific platforms that you can jump through and tap down at a certain point (while your feet are INSIDE the platform itself) and it will stop all your momentum, this is easier with ROB than most characters because of how large his feet are.

I know its possible on the platforms on SV, Lylat, and YI (to an extent), its works on most thicker moving platforms.

I do it at 1:57 against a TL in my combo vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6PeaJMHsnU

-You can also do moves like gyro or anything with a down imput and stick to the platform, thats how they originally discovered it.

-Its lagless once you do it, so aside from better positioning you can do any attack out of it and try wacky combos like Dthrow < Jump < Platform stick < Usmash.

-Also its a VERY fast motion, so just flick the stick down to do it, works with every character.

Sudai

Stuff here
It works on any platform that's currently moving. (SV's any time, Yoshi's/Lylat's when they're in the process of tilting but not when they're sitting still, and a bunch more on other stages)

TheBuddah

Smash Rookie
I limit my YI as a Neutral.
#1. I've NEVER benefited from a support ghost once. Its always a hindrance to my ability to control the offstage game.
#2. The Gyro game is terri-bad on this stage... And while its true your opponent also cannot pick up the top as easily, Its much more hindering then it is helpful in that regard.
#3. The Shy guys.... The shy guys.... The GT with the gyro the slow down the hit box on a bair or Nair to the point of stopping you flat for a moment. I cant count how many times I've been punished during an Aerial due to the slowed framrate generated by those flouting bastions of evil...

I'm not saying the stage doesnt have its uses in certain matchups but at the point what stage doesnt...

Top Bottom