• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think about the Confederate Battle flag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romulox2010

Smash Rookie
Well guys personally I don't have a personal problem with it. Maybe its because I don't offend easily but if its that offensive to you, which I can see how it would be, then either ignore it or fight it and the whole about flaunting out a swastika is because that is my personal view in that the nazis were more extreme then southern white supremacists. But hell ill be honest I'm kinda tired of this argumentative difference in views but let's just agree to disagree.

Romulox2010

Smash Rookie
Well sorry if I offended any of you guys. I'm sure if this was another one of the forums I've been to my head would be on a pike.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
To be clear, I am white (my avatar is a picture of Tyrant for anyone who didn't know). My father was in the Jazz scene for most of his life, which (especially in that time and place) consisted mostly of African Americans.

But yes, racism unfortunately exists everywhere, but you'll be hard-pressed to try and argue that the south is generally less racist than the north.

Also, savior, I think you're going to have a hard time convincing people that you are not racist, given your political/philosophical/religious points of view. I'll take your word for it, but I'm just saying... the stereotypes add up. Gun activist, far right republican, religious, and now sporting a confederate flag (icing on the cake). Again, I'll take your word for it, but... yeah, I think you get it.
It's like the same problem that Christians have. There are a lotta hard *** Christians out there that are *******. They are over critical and expect others to jump through hoops to earn righteousness or something. I am Christian, but I have not attended church for almost 6 months because I am tired of their attitude.
A lot of people view every Christian this way (how I described the previous crew).

I am as big of a gun activist as they get. I just ordered a stainless steel 1858 Civil War New Army revolver chambered in .44.
Here is a pic: http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1858_new_army_ss_lg.jpg
I plan on sleeping with it.....

I am not republican, and I am not democrat. I would vote for who ever I believe would take care of the people.... and defend the second amendment. Recently, the people that get closer to that is Republicans.

My father is the exact same way, and if he is wrong, then I do not want to be right.

Saviors, I get what you're trying to say, but I don't buy it. The Confederate flag might mean something to you other than racism and white supremacy, but history would indicate that it will continue to carry those connotations.

Your swastika (yes, that is how you spell it) argument is moot.
The title of the thread is, "What do you think about the Confederate flag".
I made this thread to get a better idea of what people around my age view the flag as. I did not want to slam people. I did, however, debate some, mainly because I wanted people to elaborate on their beliefs. The experiment I guess is over because I doubt someone will come in here and say what has already been said. So thank you to all who participated.

BTW, moot means meeting.
"Your swastika argument is meeting."
Unless you know of another meaning that I do not.

The swastika "argument" was an attempt to show how the masses will affiliate something with what it is not supposed to mean due to an organization or group that is viewed as evil adopting it. Granted, you cannot compare Nazis with southerners.
Nazis= slaughterers of human lives and want-to-be world dictators.
southerners= Yeah they were for slavery, but a lot of them didn't even own slaves or enforce slavery. There were more reasons other than slavery to drive them to leave the Union. The other reasons are in my belief, to be right.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
The meaning of the word moot is "debatable" or "doubtful." Or "little practical value or meaning," as it is in this setting.

I don't know where you got meeting from. :ohwell:

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I carry around the Nazi flag because to me it represents times of astounding economic growth for Germany.

I don't see how anyone else could see any other meaning in the flag.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I live in the South, Georgia no less, so I know what it's really like behind the scenes. Most white people who support the Confederate flag and the secession are, in fact, racist. I know, my family and friends are some of them. I hate the South and the **** conservative ideals, but I am faced with it every day.

As for the Civil War, slavery was the main cause. You ever actually seen written accounts personally? I have. There's old family crap in the attic we had to haul out and go over. Some of my relative's journals and stuff tell about the war.

saviorslegacy

The meaning of the word moot is "debatable" or "doubtful." Or "little practical value or meaning," as it is in this setting.

I don't know where you got meeting from. :ohwell:
http://www.reference.com/browse/moot
I live in the South, Georgia no less, so I know what it's really like behind the scenes. Most white people who support the Confederate flag and the secession are, in fact, racist. I know, my family and friends are some of them. I hate the South and the **** conservative ideals, but I am faced with it every day.

As for the Civil War, slavery was the main cause. You ever actually seen written accounts personally? I have. There's old family crap in the attic we had to haul out and go over. Some of my relative's journals and stuff tell about the war.
My family that lives down there have a Confederate flag and are not racist. What area do you live in? They are in a small rural town about an hour west of Atlanta.

You are not the only one with relatives that were in the war. As far as I know, part of my family have lived in Portsmouth since before Ohio became a state in 1803. My father even still has his greatx??? Kentucky Long Rifle. The family used to have several Civil War guns, but almost everyone of them have been stolen by now.
That said, I have read some of the old journals and News paper articles. One of my Great Uncles bought all of the Civil War stuff from his siblings. He keeps it locked up so I have only viewed them a few times. I didn't really pay attention to what I was ready because I haven't seen them for almost 5 years though.

Anyways, I have read other journals via google.

saviorslegacy

You're supposed to check Dictionaries for definitions, not encyclopedias...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moot
I just googled it for quick reference.
If you look down at the word's origin it will read:
"bef. 900; ME mot(e) meeting, assembly, OE gemōt; c. ON mōt, D gemoet meeting. See meet1"

So I did A correct meaning, and the original meaning. Words, however, seem to have the tendency to change with time. My favorite example of this is the word "gay". I love it when an old book uses that word because it sounds so funny. "That night at the banquet the soldiers were all so gay." Or something like that...... I think that was from the Red Badge of Courage.
Anyways, it doesn't matter, you get my point. lol

§witch

Smash Lord
"bef. 900; ME mot(e) meeting, assembly, OE gemōt; c. ON mōt, D gemoet meeting. See meet1"

So I did A correct meaning, and the original meaning. Words, however, seem to have the tendency to change with time. My favorite example of this is the word "gay". I love it when an old book uses that word because it sounds so funny. "That night at the banquet the soldiers were all so gay." Or something like that...... I think that was from the Red Badge of Courage.
That is called "baffling with bull****."

The fact of the matter is that you were too ******** to read the second part of the definition.

It's all too appropriate that you mentioned the red badge of courage.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Swastika. I have one. My grandmother is a Buddhist.

The shape may be the same as the Nazi swastika, but they look different. The Nazi swastika is always black against a white circle background, usually set center to a red flag. It's also always right-facing.

Buddhist and Hindu swastikas can be in any color. They can be either right or left-facing.

If you're going to continue wearing or displaying something that has an offensive meaning to people, it helps to fully acknowledge all parts of the symbol's history. You can't overwrite it or pick and choose the parts that you like, but acknowledging the past can help you keep a symbol--by changing it.

Buddhists don't look at the Nazi flag and claim it as their own. I've seen posters with rainbow-colored swastikas next to peace signs and lotus flowers and images of the Buddha, stuff that makes it nearly impossible to mistake it for a Nazi symbol. Many people know and acknowledge that part of the swastika's history, so they make sure that their swastikas look different.

1 if you migrate to America then you should learn the language. I wouldn't migrate to China and expect everything to be in English.
Besides, if you *legally* migrate to America then you HAVE to know English. Only illegals and tourists don't know English. So why should we bend the rules for people who we don't like/wouldn't even get a license in America (tourists).
I don't have time for this. Immigration policy is going to take all night, and I need my blood pressure to stay down. I'll just say, you'd be surprised how many people in China are learning, or already know, Engrish. Everyone know America number one.

saviorslegacy

That is called "baffling with bull****."

The fact of the matter is that you were too ******** to read the second part of the definition.

It's all too appropriate that you mentioned the red badge of courage.
I read everything that was on the page that I googled. The fact of the matter is that he used an old Anglo-Saxon word that has like 9 definitions.
Anyways, your attitude is uncalled for and unwanted, butt out.
If you're going to continue wearing or displaying something
I have a small flag in my room and that is it (well, and I have it as my avy on SWF, but I chose that avy because of this post, besides, I really don't give a **** about Brawl anyways, so I only come here to debate every once and a while). It's not like I have a Confederate flag tattoo on my arm or something.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer

Oh, for the love of facepalms.

Forget it.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'd like to note I don't believe people who fly the flag are all racists, most of them probably aren't. Hell there's a few blacks that fly it. I'm just saying the Confederacy was in the wrong, and that WAS the flag of racists, and while those who may fly it aren't, it doesn't mean it's suddenly some awesome 'symbol'.
I guess I have to agree with this. Although I still really hate the flag and everything it stands for. Mainly because I hate the South.

And I can say that because I live there. Not the deep, deep South, but South enough. I see people who have those flags as their their front plates, and I'm pretty sure I even saw a guy in high school who had a hat with it on there.

I guess it's so much cooler to display a "rebel" flag now that we've got a Democrat as president, huh? Well IMO when the South rebels it's rarely for the good.

§witch

Smash Lord
I read everything that was on the page that I googled. The fact of the matter is that he used an old Anglo-Saxon word that has like 9 definitions.
Anyways, your attitude is uncalled for and unwanted, butt out.

I have a small flag in my room and that is it (well, and I have it as my avy on SWF, but I chose that avy because of this post, besides, I really don't give a **** about Brawl anyways, so I only come here to debate every once and a while). It's not like I have a Confederate flag tattoo on my arm or something.
Does saying "renders your argument meeting" even begin to make sense? Usually when one looks up the definition for a word they don't understand they read all of the definitions and pick the one that makes the most sense. You read the first, said **** it I'm lazy, and acted superior to Lyth because he misused a word, according to you.

Also, THE OLD ANGLOSAXON DEFINITION OF MOOT IS THE ONE YOU CHOSE TO USE.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Oh, for the love of facepalms.

Forget it.
:laugh:

Lythium you made me laugh out loud, that's rare these days, but for this day, I am complete.

So wait, Savior, you've gone from brandishing a confederate battle flag as an avatar and flying one in your room and making this blog about learning 'the real' cause of the Civil War to

"I have a small flag in my room and that is it ... It's not like I have a Confederate flag tattoo on my arm or something."

Cause that tells me this was yet another troll attempt. You don't really have a flag in your room, do you... c'mon admit it.

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
-Revelations 3:15,16

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
First of all I will say I am from the south, and that in no way influences my opinion on this matter.

The poster a few pages back who pointed out a lot of the history was dead on. Most people do NOT understand that, and, it seems, have not even read that post.

The north was just as racist as the south, and didn't care about slaves what so ever. Conditions at factories in the north was equally as bad for slaves and immigrants as the fields in the south. Many slaves left the south and headed north during the Great Migration, only to find the exact same treatment as they experienced in the south.

The Civil War was a battle of politics. The south had a strong agricultural base, which was drastically different from the industrial base of the north. As has already been stated, many tariffs were put in place, and had a very negative effect on the south's main source of income. Likewise, the south battled the north with things like the suggesting slaves be counted as citizens. This was they could inflate the numbers of the population, and gain more power in the House of Representatives. The north was an economic powerhouse, threatened mostly by the south's ability to compete with them through agriculture. The war was a corporate and political action between two factions seeking to gain power over the other.

Now, which side do I support? The South.
Why? Because, the south had the constitutional right to secede, and were merely exercising their rights. They were merely trying to hang on to what made their agricultural based economy so effective: slaves. Without slaves the south lacked the man-power to continue the agricultural empire that they established. This was a fact that the north was well aware of, and planned to cripple, eventually resulting in the civil war.

tl;dr
The south and north had competing economic interests. The south wanted to secde in order to maintain their way of life, of which slaves were apart. The north wanted to be the sole dominating power, both economically and politically. Both were racist.

Now that that bit of history is out of the way, we need to confront some logical fallacies going on.

With concern to the swastika argument, people are suggesting that you cannot use a swastika in its original meaning because that meaning has since been altered and associated with Nazis. But then you suggest that you must keep the original meaning of the flag, because it was associated with racism, and ignore the newer, altered meaning that is associated with Southern pride.

Its just like a state flag, except it represents a larger area. Ignore the old meaning, as you did with the swastika, and focus on the new meaning.

People always have to find something to be offended by...

saviorslegacy

Where in the Constitution does it say that states have the right to secede?
It doesn't, however, it also does not say that a state can't leave. So the Union acting upon the other states to preserve the Union was done outside the Constitution.
Texas, however, has it in writting that they are allowed to leave the Union at any point.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
the newer, altered meaning that is associated with Southern pride.
What's to be proud of?

That the south can't read?
That they don't wear shoes in the south?
That they used to own slaves and -fought- over keeping them?
That they formed the KKK?
That I could go on but would rather not because it's sickening to think about?
(I mean really, Jeff Foxworthy's made an entire career over how backwards and uneducated the south is, and not just him... several.)

The Confederate Battle Flag isn't benign. It's a symbol of racism. It's "altered" meaning is just a watered-down meaning, but it's essentially the same thing. It's a **** you to anyone not southern, or white. How many black people you know own that flag or brandish it? OH right, none, cause that'd be like a Jew making swastika birthday cakes.

Also it should be pointed out that other developed nations such as England, France, Germany, etc ... well they all abolished slavery long before we did.

So don't go saying that the Confederate Flag = Southern Pride. Because that's not true. The -real- southern pride that good-natured honest folks like myself feel for the south is in our hard work, sense of community, hospitality and manners. The flag = white trash redneck uneducated mayonnaise-sandwich eating inbred swine. And if you take pride in THAT, well, then you are probably reading this post from your trailer park home and you're as good as tornado bait.

EDIT: Yeah, Vermont's got a secession movement, and it's not necessarily illegal, their motives are protected under the 1st amendment. -source

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
What's to be proud of?

That they used to own slaves and -fought- over keeping them?
That they formed the KKK?
That I could go on but would rather not because it's sickening to think about?
(I mean really, Jeff Foxworthy's made an entire career over how backwards and uneducated the south is, and not just him... several.)

The Confederate Battle Flag isn't benign. It's a symbol of racism. It's "altered" meaning is just a watered-down meaning, but it's essentially the same thing. It's a **** you to anyone not southern, or white. How many black people you know own that flag or brandish it? OH right, none, cause that'd be like a Jew making swastika birthday cakes.

Also it should be pointed out that other developed nations such as England, France, Germany, etc ... well they all abolished slavery long before we did.

So don't go saying that the Confederate Flag = Southern Pride. Because that's not true. The -real- southern pride that good-natured honest folks like myself feel for the south is in our hard work, sense of community, hospitality and manners. The flag = white trash redneck uneducated mayonnaise-sandwich eating inbred swine. And if you take pride in THAT, well, then you are probably reading this post from your trailer park home and you're as good as tornado bait.

EDIT: Yeah, Vermont's got a secession movement, and it's not necessarily illegal, their motives are protected under the 1st amendment. -source
You clearly didn't read anything I previously typed. Go back, actually take the time to read more than just one sentence (which you totally took out of context) and then come back to the conversation.

Jam Stunna - savior'slegacy had it covered. Also, I probably got confused with Texas's right to secede at anytime, sorry for that.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You clearly didn't read anything I previously typed. Go back, actually take the time to read more than just one sentence (which you totally took out of context) and then come back to the conversation.
You CLEARLY didn't read your own post:

quick history lesson from kataklysm

tl;dr
The south and north had competing economic interests. The south wanted to secde in order to maintain their way of life, of which slaves were apart. The north wanted to be the sole dominating power, both economically and politically. Both were racist.
No offense, but I don't need a history lesson, son. There's nothing in your post I haven't heard or read a dozen times. It's also completely irrelevant to your later statements, as you yourself proclaim:

Now that that bit of history is out of the way, we need to confront some logical fallacies going on.
With concern to the swastika argument, people are suggesting that you cannot use a swastika in its original meaning because that meaning has since been altered and associated with Nazis. But then you suggest that you must keep the original meaning of the flag, because it was associated with racism, and ignore the newer, altered meaning that is associated with Southern pride.

Its just like a state flag, except it represents a larger area. Ignore the old meaning, as you did with the swastika, and focus on the new meaning.

People always have to find something to be offended by...
There, happy? I quoted the whole thing. Doesn't change lick one of my point. You're trying to prove logical fallacy by demonstrating a contradiction. That's well and dandy, I don't agree with this so-called swastika argument either. What I take issue with, is your assertion that the Confederate Battle Flag which once represented one thing, now has a new "altered" meaning of Southern Pride. It's a ridiculous notion, and being a resident of Mississippi, I take great offense at the connotation. And no, I didn't just "find" this to be offended at, I'll take offense with anyone who challeneges my notions of what -my- pride is to my homeland. I don't fly that flag, and anyone I see wearing it on a tee shirt or bumper sticker I immediately think redneck white trash. Why? Cause that's what they WANT me to think. The flag doesn't represent "southern pride." It represents trash, and I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone on Earth that wears or shows one in public to not be a racist ****-*** POS.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
What's to be proud of?

Really? Really?

I thought I already covered this. I grew up in the south and I was AHEAD in school when I moved to the north. And I did not see any more people than usual not wearing shoes. (e.g people taking off their shoes in the summer or whatever) My experience certainly isn't everyone's, but your stereotypes are certainly not true for everyone either.

Why do people have to be so stuck up about things and look down on the south? It's just obnoxious, and the fact that anyone from the south is looked down upon as inferior and stupid simply because they're from the south is ridiculous. And then you get angry when people from the south have a bitter attitude towards people from the north.

These sort of baseless stereotypes don't have a place in a serious debate, so stop throwing them out there.

REL38

Smash Lord
@Firus

You being ahead in school just means your old school district was ahead of your new one

Don't think that's enough to compare Southern and Northern schooling

I'm in south-central PA and learned cursive in 1st grade and 50 states by 5th as well
So I see don't much case for comparing schooling on such a broad basis by personal experience

Just sayin'

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
You CLEARLY didn't read your own post:

No offense, but I don't need a history lesson, son. There's nothing in your post I haven't heard or read a dozen times. It's also completely irrelevant to your later statements, as you yourself proclaim
Obviously you don't understand it at all then. If you had heard these things then you would know that EVERYONE at that time was racist. NO ONE cared about the slaves, the north wanted economic and political domination over the south. The south didn't like that, and decided to secede.

By your logic, I suggest you stop flying the American flag as well, seeing as how we, as an entire nation, were once associated with slavery as well. Actually we probably shouldn't even be a country since our very existence reminds people of slavery, and I'm sure that's offensive.

There, happy? I quoted the whole thing. Doesn't change lick one of my point. You're trying to prove logical fallacy by demonstrating a contradiction. That's well and dandy, I don't agree with this so-called swastika argument either. What I take issue with, is your assertion that the Confederate Battle Flag which once represented one thing, now has a new "altered" meaning of Southern Pride. It's a ridiculous notion, and being a resident of Mississippi, I take great offense at the connotation. And no, I didn't just "find" this to be offended at, I'll take offense with anyone who challeneges my notions of what -my- pride is to my homeland. I don't fly that flag, and anyone I see wearing it on a tee shirt or bumper sticker I immediately think redneck white trash. Why? Cause that's what they WANT me to think. The flag doesn't represent "southern pride." It represents trash, and I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone on Earth that wears or shows one in public to not be a racist ****-*** POS.
Just wow to the bolded part. Just wow to the entire thing really. As sickening as you find people who fly this flag, I find you just as bad. You call these people white trash, and so on a so forth because they display a flag. Reminds me of these people back in the day who used to hate people and call them trash because of the color of there skin.

I am in no way trying to defend racism, or anything of the sort. I don't own a confederate flag, but I know alot of people who fly it because it represents southern pride. It says "hey! one time these people came in and just wanted power over us, and we stood our ground. We lost, but we fought hard."

But that is something hard to explain to people, like yourself, who don't want to understand it. You think Civil War, then you think racism, then you think South, then you think Confederate flag, and thats as far as it goes and those are the only dots you connect. Thats why there are so many stupid people in the world, because they only see as far as they want to see.

The Civil War was NOT fought over slaves. The south was an agricultural power that threatened the newly formed industrial power of the north. The north was well aware that slaves were the primary source of labor for the south. So in order to cripple the south and assume power, they had to compromise slavery. Which they did under the guise of a noble cause.

I will repeat once again: THE WAR WAS NOT ABOUT SLAVERY. How can one side be representative of slavery, if slavery isn't even what is being fought over? The flag represents the Confederate states. People have since have MADE the flag, as well as the south as a whole, stand for slavery.

Everyone here who says the south is racist blah blah blah the north is so much better blah blah just needs to stop talking. This was not a righteous cause; in fact, it was quite the opposite. Everyone is making out like the south just wanted to keep these people enslaved for no good reason at all, I mean after all the south just hates ******s right? Give me a break. The south wanted to keep power, the north wanted to gain power. Slaves were just a pawn in the games of both parties, so give it a rest.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
@Firus

You being ahead in school just means your old school district was ahead of your new one

Don't think that's enough to compare Southern and Northern schooling

I'm in south-central PA and learned cursive in 1st grade and 50 states by 5th as well
So I see don't much case for comparing schooling on such a broad basis by personal experience

Just sayin'
You apparently missed this sentence.

My experience certainly isn't everyone's, but your stereotypes are certainly not true for everyone either.
My last sentence still holds as well. Saying "the south can't read" is absolutely ridiculous and offensive.

BBQTV

Smash Master
about the thing with the american flag being evil cause we had slaves i guess other parts of the world are evil to

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Really? Really?

I thought I already covered this. I grew up in the south and I was AHEAD in school when I moved to the north. And I did not see any more people than usual not wearing shoes. (e.g people taking off their shoes in the summer or whatever) My experience certainly isn't everyone's, but your stereotypes are certainly not true for everyone either.

Why do people have to be so stuck up about things and look down on the south? It's just obnoxious, and the fact that anyone from the south is looked down upon as inferior and stupid simply because they're from the south is ridiculous. And then you get angry when people from the south have a bitter attitude towards people from the north.

These sort of baseless stereotypes don't have a place in a serious debate, so stop throwing them out there.
That was sarcasm, dude but the internet makes it tough to call I suppose. I'm surprised you didn't see the correlation between my obviously ridiculous statements and this idea that the confederate battle flag doesn't represent hate. If you read further down my post you'll see what I do think Southern Pride actually stands for. Definitely -not- shoelessness or illeteracy. That's what the confederate flag stands for, and most accurately. Seriously, I've yet to meet an educated person who had pride in themselves that also flew that flag proudly. They just can't happen at the same time. Anyone who flies that flag knows just what blacks think of it, and they do it anyway? And that's NOT racist?

to avoid any more confusion let me just spell this out:

Southern Pride is poorly represented by the Confederate Battle Flag. It's better represented by, I dunno Paula Dean or whatever, lol. But definitely not the flag.

NO ONE cared about the slaves
So I guess the Abolitionist Movement was staged? What of the Underground Railroad, that just made up too? I won't discount the fact that it played heavily in the politics of the North leading up to the civil war, but to say no one cared about slaves is demeaning.

By your logic, I suggest you stop flying the American flag as well, seeing as how we, as an entire nation, were once associated with slavery as well. Actually we probably shouldn't even be a country since our very existence reminds people of slavery, and I'm sure that's offensive.
I am having trouble taking you seriously now, c'mon, lol. African Americans whose ancestors were the slaves of southern plantation owners are the ones who would first and foremost associate the confederate battle flag with oppression and racism. Anyone else who also does, is simply smart enough to make the correlation, but they actually have no footing in the matter themselves. I am not black, in other words, so I can -empathize- but my identification with their suffering is removed further than those who are direct descendants.

Just wow to the bolded part. Just wow to the entire thing really. As sickening as you find people who fly this flag, I find you just as bad. You call these people white trash, and so on a so forth because they display a flag. Reminds me of these people back in the day who used to hate people and call them trash because of the color of there skin.
Except one key difference. I'm calling them out as trash -because- they fly that flag without remorse or guilt. It's not unlike calling a nazi a POS, or a child molester a POS. Yes, I just equated people who fly the battle flag in public to child molesters and nazis.

I am in no way trying to defend racism, or anything of the sort.
No, instead you're defending the public displaying of the most commonly identifiable symbol of racism in existence, second only to the KKK conical hat and white sheet, though the two may be interchangeable for 1st place, I wouldn't know.

I don't own a confederate flag, but I know alot of people who fly it because it represents southern pride. It says "hey! one time these people came in and just wanted power over us, and we stood our ground. We lost, but we fought hard."
I guess I just don't know this part of the south. Where I live no one flies one. But then again we have plenty of African Americans living here, and anyone daring enough to fly the flag would get themselves harassed or worse. I of course see it on bumper stickers every now and then. The occasional tee-shirt. But these people, we're back to those ridiculous stereotypes. Toothless, non-showering, can't speak without frothing at the mouth, it's just sad, and it makes all southerners look bad because non locals look at this and see "ha that's the south for you" comedians like seth mcfarland for instance, just giant broad stereotypes when in fact they're really only talking about select few of the south's population.

You think Civil War, then you think racism, then you think South, then you think Confederate flag, and thats as far as it goes and those are the only dots you connect.
Yeah, pretty much, but in the wrong order:

It goes: Slavery, The South, Civil War, The Confederate Battle Flag

See cause the North had already abolished slavery, and was doing just fine without it. The South however, making money hand over fist with their exports to EU and to the North, but on the backs of slaves! Unfair much? Absolutely unfair. It made America look bad in the international spotlight (yes even back then we were international players).

And let us not forget that segregation in the south was unchecked until the civil rights movement. So saying the south's attitude towards blacks was inconsequential because they were just "pawns" in a larger struggle means you've discounted all those acts of cruelty. You ever read about lynchings? Why would a town do that to someone? How about the systematic **** of slave women? Any idea why this would occur if it really was all just for show? I don't think you can answer, at least I hope not.

The Civil War was NOT fought over slaves. The south was an agricultural power that threatened the newly formed industrial power of the north. The north was well aware that slaves were the primary source of labor for the south. So in order to cripple the south and assume power, they had to compromise slavery. Which they did under the guise of a noble cause.
See I have the luxury of going to school and being educated in the North, then moving to the South. I get to play both sides of the field, and experience both sides of the argument. The North and South industries were not diametrically opposed. The North needed their cotton like everyone else in the US, and a few other countries. What they didn't need on capital hill, was the bad taste in their mouths when they had to admit that half their country and its subsequent wealth was all thanks to a bunch of plantation owners who bought and sold people to increase their profit margins. Still think the war wasn't fought over slavery? Ok, but at this point you're arguing semantics.

Everyone here who says the south is racist blah blah blah the north is so much better blah blah just needs to stop talking.
We agree here, the south and north are both equally responsible in the establishment of slavery. What I find distasteful are people who brandish the CFB without any regard for how it may make other people feel. It's no different than my right to fly a nazi germany flag. Would I? Hell no. I am too courteous for that, nor do I believe in its ideology. Just because you have the right to do something, doesn't mean you should.

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
about the thing with the american flag being evil cause we had slaves i guess other parts of the world are evil to
Exactly, which is why its stupid to hold a flag as offensive especially when the meaning changes over time.

This is not for you, but I will reiterate my point anyways.

African warlords conquered other African peoples.
Britain made deals with the warlords, trading guns and ammunition for people.
The colonies needed slave labor to make things function.
The south began relying heavily on slave labor as its main work force.
Slavery began dying out.
Cotton gin was invented, the need for slave labor increased.
The north became increasingly industrial, thus they did not need slaves, and only 1% of their population was black.
33% of the South was black, and in a bid for power, the South wanted slaves to count towards population. This way the Democrats could keep power in the House of Representatives.
3/5 Compromise happens.
Manifest destiny gives rise to new states, issues over slave vs. freestates?
South wanted to spread their power, and continue dominance.
Being an industrial force, the North had no need for slaves, however being an agricultural force, the south relied heavily on them.
The North, having no vested interest in slavery, and knowing that as long as slavery existed, the South would continue to expand its power, hoped to abolish slavery.
During the Douglas/Lincoln election, the Democrats had been divided, making room for Lincoln to take an easy victory.
The South secedes
The South attempts to make peaceful negotiations, Lincoln refuses.
The South warns the North to pull troops out of Fort Sumter (located in the South) or a war would ensue.
We all know what happens next.

Was the south in the right to have slavery? No. But they risked destroying their entire economy is they let it go. So do you destroy 2/3 of the population to ensure rights for 1/3? Thats not an easily answered question. How do you judge one person's rights over another?

The south didn't just enslave people because they were black, their entire economy was based on the work Africans did. Without them, there would be a collapse and everyone would be poor. So was the slavery justified? Yes. Does that make it right? Of course not.

saviorslegacy

@the Jeff Foxworthy comment

I am red neck. People in my area of the country have been called red necks for a long time. I can tell you though, being a red neck and being what a commedian calls a red neck is two different things. Around here we call those trashy dirty people hicks, and mist of em are high school drop outs and on..... welfare. *see healthcare thread

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
NO ONE cared about the slaves
Except, you know, the slaves themselves.

So do you destroy 2/3 of the population to ensure rights for 1/3? Thats not an easily answered question. How do you judge one person's rights over another?
That depends on whether or not you are in that 1/3. Or are we excluding them from the "you" in that statement?

Because, if it were me, and if 99% of the world profited from my suffering, I'd say eff the 99%. Why? Because there's no social contract here. I'm not benefiting from this arrangement; so the rest of the world can burn for all I care.

That said, you may be correct in some of things you wrote. Lincoln was an American president who came close to being a dictator (some would argue that he was a dictator). And, no, the North did not do what they did simply out of concern for the human rights violations of the South.

There are no heroes in this equation. There may not be any villains either. Just flawed humanity.

That does not change the fact that the result of the war was the emancipation of the slaves. And if it were me in that 1/3, I'd say eff the rest of society, eff the politics, eff the morals, because it's my life at stake. If they get to write me off as collateral, I'll write them off too.

American history is not my strong point. I don't know enough about the power struggle between North and South. I know about the South being an agricultural economy, and the North being an industrial economy. If I remember correctly, each needed the other because the South produced what the North could not, and the North produced what the South could not.

My question is: How would the North have benefited from abolishing slavery if the South had not seceded and the country had not gone to war?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
My question is: How would the North have benefited from abolishing slavery if the South had not seceded and the country had not gone to war?
Well, one of the triggers for the Civil War was the expansion westward. After the Mexican-American War, we gained all of that territory and it was an open question as to whether or not slavery would be allowed there.

The North was VERY much against slavery spreading to the West, partly because that would increase the power of the slave-holding South (by introducing new slave states that would have new senators and representatives in Congress), partly because slavery would close off the West to the labor of free white men, and partly because there was genuinely growing outrage towards slavery in the North.

The North had reasons for at least wanting to stop the spread of slavery. Whether or not the North truly wanted to abolish slavery in the South is less clear, but even if it did, it was politically impossible without the Civil War.

saviorslegacy

@ 1/3 dieing or 2/3 dieing
The minority should always perish. Why? Because less will die in the end.

If it was a choice between me die and all of you die, I would choose death. Why? Because it would be selfish to think that my life is worth all of yours.

Granted, the ratio is different, but the point should still be clear.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, one of the triggers for the Civil War was the expansion westward. After the Mexican-American War, we gained all of that territory and it was an open question as to whether or not slavery would be allowed there.

The North was VERY much against slavery spreading to the West, partly because that would increase the power of the slave-holding South (by introducing new slave states that would have new senators and representatives in Congress), partly because slavery would close off the West to the labor of free white men, and partly because there was genuinely growing outrage towards slavery in the North.

The North had reasons for at least wanting to stop the spread of slavery. Whether or not the North truly wanted to abolish slavery in the South is less clear, but even if it did, it was politically impossible without the Civil War.
So, it was a part of a larger power struggle involving senate and house seats in Congress? I know that the South relied on slavery for its economy, but did the North have an economic reason to abolish slavery?

I haven't thought about this since high school, and I have really bad memory.

Edit:

@ 1/3 dieing or 2/3 dieing
The minority should always perish. Why? Because less will die in the end.

If it was a choice between me die and all of you die, I would choose death. Why? Because it would be selfish to think that my life is worth all of yours.
That's very utilitarian of you.

For me, no. I would give up a privilege on principle, but not a fundamental right. Not so someone else can profit and get rich off of it.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
So, it was a part of a larger power struggle involving senate and house seats in Congress? I know that the South relied on slavery for its economy, but did the North have an economic reason to abolish slavery?
Well, Northerners wanted to move out into the new Western lands too, and were at a labor disadvantage when they had to compete against slave labor. But that's really a small part of the equation. I'm not really sure if there was a direct economic incentive for the North to abolish slavery.

I think the best way to think about the North and South is as two separate nations that shared a Congress, because their interests often were opposed. There were huge cultural, social and economic differences, all rooted in slavery.

Also, just something I want to say: I've gotten the feeling (perhaps erroneously) that some posters are suggesting that because the North was as racist as the South, that it supported slavery. That's not true. Yes, the North profited hugely from slavery, and yes, being opposed to slavery while spinning Southern cotton in your mills is the height of hypocrisy. Yet most Northerners were against slavery in some form. They were either against its spreading to the West, or they were outright abolitionists, and nearly every Northerner rejected the Fugitive Slave Act.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
My high school's sports section is called the "Vestavia Rebels," and our school flag actually was the Confederate flag (until last year). And we did have African American students that would wave around the flag and drive w/ a giant one attached to their cars. We all knew it was a practically a confederate flag, but we also knew that it does not stand for slavery/racism anymore (though some people say it does), it stands for rebellion (of any type, i suppose).

I personally could not care less what it means, I'm not the involved or flag-waving type.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
I know exactly what you mean TC. It's like no one gets it!
Just like how the People's Republic of Hungary was totally in the wrong opposing the Soviet Union!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom