• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think about the Confederate Battle flag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I know exactly what you mean TC. It's like no one gets it!
Just like how the People's Republic of Hungary was totally in the wrong opposing the Soviet Union!
The south was not Communist. If you think that then go back to school and retake Government.

So let me ask you all a question.
We currently rely heavily on computers. If we lost all of our computers right now our economy would fall apart until we could go back to old less effective ways, but by then the damage would have been done.
Flash forward about 70 years or so. We will be even more reliant on computers then. What happens if now they are what we would call now, an AI. We would of course put in restrictions so things like terminator and matrix wouldn't come true. However, they could still be smart and be somewhat, like humans.

Would it be fair for us to make them continue working for us/make the machines dumber so that they may remain our slaves? Don't tell me, half of America will split and one side will be righteous, the saviors of the machines and the other side will be the greedy b*stards who wish to continue enslaving them.

Use your head as a human from 1860. It was not all about slaves and when it was about slaves it is not how most people think it is. You cannot look at history with a modern attitude or vice versa.

§witch

Smash Lord
Are you ****ing serious? Did the south program Africans to do their work? Did they build them?

Of course not. That is the most bull**** and ******** thing I've ever read. And you've said some pretty ******** things.

saviorslegacy

Are you ****ing serious? Did the south program Africans to do their work? Did they build them?

Of course not. That is the most bull**** and ******** thing I've ever read. And you've said some pretty ******** things.
No, but they bought them.

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
So I guess the Abolitionist Movement was staged? What of the Underground Railroad, that just made up too? I won't discount the fact that it played heavily in the politics of the North leading up to the civil war, but to say no one cared about slaves is demeaning.
Now you are just taking what I said way to literally. Of course there were people fighting for slaves rights (you showed that). When I say "no one" I mean no one with any real political power to change anything. I am referring to the North and the South as political bodies, and when I say "no one" I am saying "Neither of those two bodies cared."

Except one key difference. I'm calling them out as trash -because- they fly that flag without remorse or guilt. It's not unlike calling a nazi a POS, or a child molester a POS. Yes, I just equated people who fly the battle flag in public to child molesters and nazis.
So explain to me how they are supposed to fly this and show remorse and guilt at the same time? Oh I know, maybe because it only represents slavery to those to ignorant to American history to stop, and take the mindset of people during that time period. Things were different then, and you have to think differently if you are going to discuss that period. You are suggesting that when the south seceded they were thinking "Man I glad I get to continue oppressing these black people! God I hate blacks so much and thank God no one is gonna stop be from oppressing them!" and that is simply not the case.

No, instead you're defending the public displaying of the most commonly identifiable symbol of racism in existence, second only to the KKK conical hat and white sheet, though the two may be interchangeable for 1st place, I wouldn't know.
Once again its only racist because people who don't know anything about the south, and have been highly miseducated give it that connotation. The KKK was founded in racism, they even say it themselves. The CSA was not founded in racism, they just wanted the North to stay out of their business.

I guess I just don't know this part of the south. Where I live no one flies one. But then again we have plenty of African Americans living here, and anyone daring enough to fly the flag would get themselves harassed or worse. I of course see it on bumper stickers every now and then. The occasional tee-shirt. But these people, we're back to those ridiculous stereotypes. Toothless, non-showering, can't speak without frothing at the mouth, it's just sad, and it makes all southerners look bad because non locals look at this and see "ha that's the south for you" comedians like seth mcfarland for instance, just giant broad stereotypes when in fact they're really only talking about select few of the south's population.
Ah, and this says it all. You come in and say "what does the south have to be proud of?", you say "everyone who flies this flag is red-neck white trash", and then you preach about stereotypes. Wow, hypocrisy. Ever stop to think that maybe it represents racism and white trash in your area, but there is more to the world than just your neighborhood.

Yeah, pretty much, but in the wrong order:

It goes: Slavery, The South, Civil War, The Confederate Battle Flag

See cause the North had already abolished slavery, and was doing just fine without it. The South however, making money hand over fist with their exports to EU and to the North, but on the backs of slaves! Unfair much? Absolutely unfair. It made America look bad in the international spotlight (yes even back then we were international players).

And let us not forget that segregation in the south was unchecked until the civil rights movement. So saying the south's attitude towards blacks was inconsequential because they were just "pawns" in a larger struggle means you've discounted all those acts of cruelty. You ever read about lynchings? Why would a town do that to someone? How about the systematic **** of slave women? Any idea why this would occur if it really was all just for show? I don't think you can answer, at least I hope not.
Here you are confusing my argument of "Everyone was racist, not just the South" with "The South isn't racist!"

True the south didn't believe that blacks were equal, but guess what, neither did pretty much anyone else in the world. I am not saying that the south wasn't racist, I'm saying oppressing race was not their main objective in the civil war.

See I have the luxury of going to school and being educated in the North, then moving to the South. I get to play both sides of the field, and experience both sides of the argument. The North and South industries were not diametrically opposed. The North needed their cotton like everyone else in the US, and a few other countries. What they didn't need on capital hill, was the bad taste in their mouths when they had to admit that half their country and its subsequent wealth was all thanks to a bunch of plantation owners who bought and sold people to increase their profit margins. Still think the war wasn't fought over slavery? Ok, but at this point you're arguing semantics.
If you think that going to school in the North and living in the South gives any credibility to your argument than you are very mistaken. Everything else you have said in this paragraph shows that you are just, once again, very mistaken. The North wanted political power, and the south wanted political power. In order for the North to stop the South from gaining power, was to eliminate slavery, crippling them in the area they were most powerful: economy.

The flag does not stand for slavery. In reality it just stands for the South. It is representative of the area that seceded from the union. Most people use it to say they are from the South and proud. Maybe to you that translates to: "I want to commit lots of hate crimes towards blacks", but just because thats what it means to you, doesn't instantly make it mean that.

EDIT: This argument is stupid. The school system has been telling people that the war was about slavery, and that leads people to believe it was about the moral aspect of slavery, but that is simply not the case. As I said before, both sides were racist, no one had the best interests of the slaves in mind (as is clearly shown by the century it took for blacks to eventually gain equal rights.) So after being lead to this misconception for years, people view the Civil War in this light: North(loves black people! Wants equal rights for everyone because its the right thing!) vs. South(stupid illiterate, in-bred hicks, who are so supremacist, that they had to start a whole war just so they could keep hating blacks!) THAT is why people THINK the flag represents racism, but just because they THINK that doesn't make it so.

§witch

Smash Lord
It doesn't matter that there was still racism after they abolished slavery. The north realized it was wrong long before the south did. What does that tell you?

BBQTV

Smash Master
when your way of life revolves around something you protect it

saviorslegacy

I was working on this post this past friday or saturday and PM'd it to myself because I was unable to finish. Since then I have attended 1 party, partaked in VBS (I am head leader to a crew of 40ish grade schoolers.... head ache), tore out fiber glass instalation, finished some Science stuff for my mother (she is the main reason why I am crazy, she has forced me all of my life to do extra stuff) and run a days worth os errands. I have barely slept for like four days and I am falling asleep while critiquing this message/finishing... please excuse my spelling. @-@

The trade of slavery was banned way before the Civil War. Every slave that was working was born into slavery. Granted, there could be some 60, 70 or 80 year old men or women that were taken from their homes by other blacks and shipped out of Africa (there were several black nations that heavily relied on the slave trade). Greed is unfortunetly, something that governs the lives of many men.

ps Most of the so called stupid stuff that I do are mere troll attempts. I do not come to SmashBoards to have serious conversations. People are quick to argue and are to hot headed. They do not take the time to look at a subject from multiple angles including ones that they strongly dissagree with. If you do the above you will come to more reasonable results due to not being bias in your analysis.
SmashBoards is more of a place for me to get a good laugh and to practice predicting results and baiting for results that I want people to say. That and practice various tests.

For example, I wanted to test people about their knowledge on the South because I believed that Schools had done a poor job in teaching the Civil War. They fail to view the subject from multiple angles. What I see them teaching would be like me saying that it is partly cloudy. Yeah that may be true, but isn't it also partly sunny, and why do most people say it is partly cloudy. Clouds are usually depressing, so does that mean that saying it is partly cloudy pesamistic? Is people just going with the crowd when they acknowledge/statethat it is partly cloudy?

I have yet to answer this and many many many other questions. I have, however, explored reasons and possibly possibilities.
I do, however, have trouble answering culture questions such as, "What do young people think about the Confederate flag?" I am only one person, not a nation. lol The only exception is Soviet Russia, you could just ask someone in the Government and they would tell you the views of their people on just about everything, they are smart cookies.

Anyways, sorry for using you people. Switch, I think you are probably the funnest person on this thread.

And yes, before you say anything people do call me crazy when I tell them what I am doing. That is why I do not tell people what I am doing or what I am thinking. It doesn't matter on SmashBoards though, I am not exactly worried about my reputation, if you get my drift.

I leave you with one question to ponder though, which arm rest in the movie theater is yours?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Haha, I love this. Any time you ever get called out on saying something stupid:
"O YA I WUZ TROLIN THE WHOLE TIME LOL GOT U! IM THE GRATEST!"

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
You do put a lot of effort into your trolling, saviorslegacy. Why not just come out in the beginning and say that you're going to ask a hypothetical question? People tend to be pretty honest even if they know you're just being hypothetical.

I mean, yeah yeah, the Internet is not serious business, but it's okay to stand behind an unpopular opinion too. If you wait until the end to reveal yourself as trolling, then people will start to question your motives. Even if you're not here for "serious" conversation, you're still here for conversation. In my experience, discussions are better when they're open.

saviorslegacy

@Melo
I have old PM's to prove it. Ask Sucumbio or whatever his name is.
Also, name all of the times I have said it was a troll. Answer: once
I wanted to troll with healthcare for various reasons.

@The Nino
If I come out at the very beggining then the whole point of trolling and observing is ruined.
I still like the CSA (I didn't say I liked everything about them.... there are few things in hisory and present that I like 100%). Stonewall Jackson is one of my all time heroes. He had no fear because of faith. We all should live a life without fear. His fear was not of death. He still had fears though (his spousal unit dieing for one). I am trying to learn to have that much faith. I doubt I will ever get there. The closer I get though, the more at peace I will become. BTW, when I say I wish for peace that does not mean I do not believe in violence. It may not be the only reason, but there is one special reason why I like and own fire arms. I just wish for peace within myself. Killing in defense of myself, the innocent or a loved one means that they are in the wrong and not I. They are the enemy.

Anyways, thoughts on self defense, peace and murder are hard to settle on. It will take a lot if time to fully explain what I believe. So I have said the short short version.

Oh, and I really do have the Rebel flag up on my wall. I, like almost every American, believe in Rebelion. That flag for me, is the spirit to say "no" when you are confronted by a tyrant (not calling the North a tyrant).

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
I'm guessing he means its a symbolic thing.

Doesn't need to mean he's rebelling against his country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom