• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Recommended Rule List 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Insulting the entire collective of the BBR is the same in concept as insulting an entire race for the decisions that have been made by a few.

not every BBR member agreed with the stage list so using blanket statements is not only ignorant and fault, but immature.
Furthermore, rather than flame, explain your reasoning and why you feel that the stage is ban worthy rather than have a tit attack.

@vermanubis: You had the same **** attitude when you played metroid Prime hunters. Good job.

@atomsk: Tough ****. If the top level players do not provide input as well as information, it is the same as not correcting a referee when they make a bad call. There is a reason why referee's sometimes have to review a call after it was made in order to have it overturned.
Shouting "you guys are morons you should know this that blah blah" is very east to say in hindsight. MMM did his testing and that was the conclusion he arrived to, as such if you had spoken, things would have certainly been different.

This has always been an issue within the community. No one says anything and then EXPECTS the knowledge of it to be known. Fact of the matter is, things can be missed, tests can be done wrong. Everyone is human.

Now if there are other issues concerning the stages, do explain why you feel its harmful to the metagame and in what way rather than going "oihfoiqhfohf". I am sure it wont take no more than 5 minutes in your day to post something of relevance.

Good night.

D

Deleted member

Ledge grab limit should be reinstated, that is just tempting campfires to happen.
^This.

Meta Knight's are going to take full advantage of this. Maybe that's just what the BBR wants, though. They do love their little masked bat.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I wonder how the crap-tier mains plan to win without their suicide throw-downs? Only time will tell.
Hahaha

Also, people need to realize. Politically and based on their principles, the BBR is not allowed to recommend a LGL before banning Meta Knight. They have to ban him before instating that. There is no alternative.

Good night.
Ledge grab limits are dumb.
Well said Shadow. Similar sympathies, but I just found that funny how 5 minutes later you reply to something else after saying good night lol

I do not understand why people care so much about this ruleset. It is not like the law or anything similar. The fact is that all the rules belong to the tournament organizers in the end anyway.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
We have multiple projects going on at once, not everyone can post on everything.

Besides, tbh I think right now what needs to be redone entirely is the rest of the brawl community if possible, because the BBR has never been nearly this good.
I know its not everyone, but this sad statement seems to be the general attitude of the current bbr. I will never begin to understand why the bbr would put the entire community at risk for the sake of creating an objective standard for fair competitive play in a game that was not built to be competitive.

BBR wants to redo the brawl community? Tough Luck. We are the invariable, not a silly stagelist. You lose us and this game dies. Therefore when all is said and done you listen to and represent the community, not whatever theory crafted competitive standards you came up with.

I mean hey, so what if tournament attendance dwindles to 10 or 15 people and the competitive scene collapses several years earlier than necessary, at least the bbr can rest easy knowing they're playing the game the way it should be played, amirite?

burntsocks said:
I dont understand why the BBR takes a stance against the majority of the community, including top players (not that top players are always RIGHT, but they obviously have a lot of experience with the game at the highest level of competition). Theres a difference between leading, and simply trying to push rules that MOST PEOPLE DONT WANT onto others.
This. Creating a balanced competitive stagelist is not a tangible issue, losing players in an already dwindling community is.

Even more ridiculous is that as few as 16 people determined the legality of stages like Jungle Japes and Green Greens, and we cant even be sure if this is a fair cross section of the community. As far as anyone knows all 16 of these people came from custom stages Ohio.

What I dont understand is how the BBR could have taken an issue like banning MK so cautiously, yet when the ruleset (something that affects us even more) is up for discussion we have the input of 16 people? What happened to that other BBR and can we please bring it back? We had about 4 official threads discussing the metaknight ban and polls to go along with (I believe) all of them, including a final poll that actually had an affect on the decision. Couldnt we have had something similar to that for the stagelist? The best I saw was one thread in Tactical Discussion for roughly two weeks and no real input from persons in the bbr. No worthwhile discussion thread, no communication between the bbr and the community, no polls that had an affect or otherwise, and no (from what it seems like in this thread) attempts gather opinions and info from some of the communities very experienced players. Instead, 16 people, on something as important as a ruleset.

For the record I dont actually mind the stagelist or ruleset myself, lol. BBR still needs to step up their communication with the community on this stuff though, this isnt a tier list this actually affects us.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
If I may add something, this has been bothering me a lot as I read this thread. Lets have a look at the very first line of this thread, shall we?

Official BBR Recommended Rule List 3.0

Not bad, good use of color to grab one's attention, bold and large to hold it there. But its not that, its one specific word I'm interested in...

Recommended

See that? That means there is absolutely no requirement to follow these rules if you don't want to. No one's holding a gun to your head, your game won't break if you deviate from them.

So someone, please, tell me what the issue here is. I've read several pages of this, and the general hate I've seen for the BBR's work is baffling. I'm not saying I agree with all the new rules by any stretch of the imagination, but if you want someone to change their mind telling them how stupid and wrong they are is the worst way to go about it.

Hell, I'd say give them a shot anyway. It'd make brawl a bit more interesting, at minimum.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Even though I play Bowser I absolutely love this ruleset. It's almost exactly the same ruleset as I've been running at my tournaments with much criticism. Top stuff BBR, the system works.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Even though I play Bowser I absolutely love this ruleset. It's almost exactly the same ruleset as I've been running at my tournaments with much criticism. Top stuff BBR, the system works.
-insert facepalm picture here-

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Could people please stop saying that the word "recommended" gives a ruleset an excuse to be bad? I'm not saying this is a bad ruleset (far from it), but this argument simply does not cut it. The Backroom's "recommended" ruleset is supposed to be the standard - that's the reason they make one at all. So what happens if this ruleset is ignored? People decide to use the old one. Or people make up their own, even more than before. If there is no centralized ruleset that most tournaments will have in common, the ruleset fails and has no reason to exist in the first place.

But like I said, I don't have many problems with these rules. I do have a question, however, that I just thought about reading about Snake Kirby of all things. Port priority - big deal to Snake because of grenade explosions, right? My question is how does port priority interact with the bombs on Pirate Ship? As in, if I grab someone as bombs start flying towards the ship and one hits us, will one person receive no knockback while the other goes flying?

Just as I was about to post this I just decided to test it myself. The answer: yes. If a player grabs another player during the bomb phase and they are hit by a bomb, port priority will leave one person standing and one person flying. Now, granted, the damage received is still quite hefty, but if you have a stock lead and they other percent is around 50% or so, it is well worth it - is this too powerful a tool to allow people to use? I present this for discussion.

I also decided to test a couple other things related to port priority.

The plank on Pirate Ship also follows port priority; only one player will be flung from the ship. This seems much less dangerous than the bombs, but could still be relevant.

The cars on PTAD also follow port priority. This is old news, as someone brought this up before, but I figured I'd restate it here.

Sadly none of this helps my character, as pikmin grabs don't have port priority, but I digress.

-Ran

Smash Master
See that? That means there is absolutely no requirement to follow these rules if you don't want to. No one's holding a gun to your head, your game won't break if you deviate from them.
To say that it is 'recommended' is to be ignorant of the pull that the SBR has in the community. This rule list, by all intends and purposes, is the official rule set of Smash. That is how it has been treated, up until now. Though there have been regional differences, tournaments have closely followed the rules that have been provided by the SBR as the backbone of the community. Rather than reaffirm this with a rule-set that represents the current meta-game, they have instead attempted to break free from being a rule creating body. The SBR isn't supposed to be a 'suggestion box.'

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Bad is subjective, they feel that this is the best rule set for now else they would not have released it. People are free to disagree with it, but it still doesn't mean they shouldn't attempt to update or change the rules ever.

I've been part of this community for quite a few years now, I know how their influence works. I also know that almost every tournament I've ever attended has had some variation on the rules, they've hardly ever followed them word for word. So yes, they set the basis for the majority of all tourneys with stock settings and the like, but everything else is left in the TO's hands in the end. Changes have, and will, be made to the rules on a case by case basis.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
To say that it is 'recommended' is to be ignorant of the pull that the SBR has in the community. This rule list, by all intends and purposes, is the official rule set of Smash. That is how it has been treated, up until now. Though there have been regional differences, tournaments have closely followed the rules that have been provided by the SBR as the backbone of the community. Rather than reaffirm this with a rule-set that represents the current meta-game, they have instead attempted to break free from being a rule creating body.
The SBR's stuff has always been only Reccomended, even back in Melee days. Hell, the SBR recommended Wobbling not be banned but people banned it anyway, along with a number of stages which the SBR said were fine.

And I don't know where you've been or what region you're in, but from the discussions in the BBR there has been a LOT of different stage lists from a variety of regions. There was a fair bit in common (IE, BF as starter) but a lot of differences (3v5v7v9 starters, Picto banned or counter, FD starter or counter, ect.) You cna't say everyone's followed the BBR in the past when everyone's just taken what the BBR has said as a suggestion and developed it to their own means, just like this one is intended to do.

Last I checked, rules were made by things affected by the metagame, not to support it. For example, if Metaknight's dominating, why would we make a stage list that would only reinforce his position?

Also, we will be cracking down hard on flaming, spam and generally unuseful comments. No more 'this stage list sucks!' comments, but you can still post things like 'this is bad because ______ should be _______ because _____' ect. 3 point spam infractions will be handed out from now.

NNID
Budget_Player
Swordgard please explain how this list does not cater to MK.

It's a trap, because you can't.
Okay.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10875264&postcount=2179 <- MK deserves a buff because he's the best in the game; which system is the best, one that favors him, one that nerfs him, one that is neutral to him?
http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?pid=1563390#p1563390 <- Liberal stagelists in general; you're looking for the second half I assume

Done.

I lol'd

Shouldnt it be...

Starter

• Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Smashville

Starter/Counter

• Lylat Cruise
  • Pokémon Stadium

• Final Destination
  • Castle Siege

• Delfino Plaza
  • Halberd

???
It's implied-depending on how many starters you use, the rest become counterpick stages.

This man speaks great wisdom.
If there were more people like you on SWF I'd spend more time here than AiB.
Good points made.
AiB is a festering ****hole of anti-logic compared to Smashboards dude.

Raziek, you're lucky I can't watch that link on this phone.

Mike, may you post a link of BPC? Shadowlink? Crow? OS? Umm.. who else? Let's make a big deal out of this somehow, in fact. Let's show how bad the players are that are attempting to lead this community, and why we have to set some sort of skill standard so people know what they're dealing with.
I wish that everyone here who's saying that we're underqualified to argue this would realize how wrong they are. To put this simply: Playing the game requires a different skill set than making the rules for the game. In fact, so much to the extent that no actual pro player should be allowed to make the rules-the people who make the rules must be knowledgeable but should not actually play the game any more. The reason is simple-let's say ADHD was the sole creator of the brawl ruleset. What's stopping him from saying, "Hmm, I like winning" and pushing a stagelist where FD, Pictochat, and Smashville are the only starters, and BF and PTAD are the only counterpicks? Or a rule that says "diddy gets 4 stocks because he needs the boost" (compare to the rule arbitrarily declaring ganon the winner on a ganoncide tie/loss, or anti-planking rules)? Players will be biased. Hell, I'm biased, but I try to put that bias aside and argue for the points I support with the methods that actually make sense, as opposed to "this **** is gay".

We're not creating a new game here. We aren't balancing characters around a medium. We're deciding the best way to competitively play brawl, and player experience only matters to a certain point. When determining the stagelist, in some cases my meager experience is enough (PTAD, for example, takes very little examination to see "oh look I can dodge these cars, no problem") or nobody has enough experience as of yet (DP being "broken" as an example).

Also, you guys are always so **** worried about MK. You're scared of him getting better counterpicks, scared ****less that he's going to overpower the metagame if you don't get two counterpicks against him per round, and obviously worried about his planking. If you're worried he ***** the stagelist, here are the two stages you should try to get banned: Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar. Because I guarantee, no stage the BBR recommends to be legal is better for him than those.
If you're so worried about MK, legalize Pictochat (mediocre/poor MK stage), YI(M) (outright terrible MK stage), Onett (again, pretty bad for MK), Pirate Ship (he can't gimp you, he has no spikes for the water, and his gimping just DOES NOT WORK. You will live forever against him here; he seriously has trouble killing on this stage. He can rudder camp, but he can't counter it effectively. Pirate Ship is stupidly bad for MK), Luigi's Mansion (live forever against him) or similar stages that are just outright bad for him.

And finally, I'd really like to say this. If you are not willing to try this moveset, you are stymieing the growth of the competitive environment. This goes beyond "nah, we'd rather not" and into the range of pure idiocy-you haven't given it a fair shot, and yet you're already denying its possibility to be good right out of the starting gate. You are saying "we refuse even consider suggestions from those who know a lot about the game on how to play it well". You are being ridiculously closed-minded, and your regions will likely fail horribly at MLG this year, next year, and continuing into the future, because MLG is not scrubby and they will be running this or a very similar stagelist.

If you think these stages are really that bad, prove it. Go to your TOs, tell them "please run a tournament with these stages so we can show that these stages are bad to the rest of the world", and then go start abusing people with broken strategies on these stages. If Distant Planet is really that bad, you should be winning every game you counterpick your opponent to on it. If Luigi's Mansion is truly that broken, you should be living to 200 every stock and showing this off. If Green Greens has broken strategies and tactics, abuse them and we will change our minds. If PTAD's cars are truly too much of a distraction to get used to and change the flow of game that much then why can I avoid them when I'm a mediocre low-level player then SHOW US. We are only holding the stance that any competitive game has had before us-only ban what is truly needed. If you show the BBR why a stage absolutely needs to be banned, then the BBR will ban it, and we'll stop supporting the stage.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
The rule list is bad and you should feel bad.

Also, lol at having 20 people vote in a group of at least 50 members (or more).
Some people in the back room don't vote because they don't feel knowledgeable enough on the stages being discussed, I think that's a great thing as we only get the members who have a good amount of experience and a well formed opinion on the stage voting rather than an uniformed blind vote.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
I wish that everyone here who's saying that we're underqualified to argue this would realize how wrong they are. To put this simply: Playing the game requires a different skill set than making the rules for the game. In fact, so much to the extent that no actual pro player should be allowed to make the rules-the people who make the rules must be knowledgeable but should not actually play the game any more.
Ummmm. Wow. I don't know how to respond to that.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Its not the stages I'm really mad at its the fact that MK can **** harder on those stages just like he does on others. MK can do crazy things on Luigi's Mansion.

Honestly, if MK were gone this list wouldn't have been meet with as much hatred.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Some people in the back room don't vote because they don't feel knowledgeable enough on the stages being discussed, I think that's a great thing as we only get the members who have a good amount of experience and a well formed opinion on the stage voting rather than an uniformed blind vote.
If they're in the back room they should be knowledgeable of everything that the game has to offer tournament wise. At least that's what I would expect. My point is that every person in BBR should have a say in this and not just a certain few.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Lmao ok fair enough, it's just a 'recommendation', but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be a good rule list...

Lol at stages, no LGL, suicide shenanigans.

Browny

Smash Hater
Surely this thread is setting a record for most pages in a given time-frame... 906 posts in around 15 hours wow lol

Coney

Smash Master

REV UP THOSE RULESETS, 'CAUSE l SURE AM READY TO PLAY SOM--

HELP! HELP!
MY GAME!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
BPC, if I'm not mistaken a lot of these stages (Luigi's for one) were banned in the early days of Brawl because they were deemed broken. It's not as if teching and SDI were unheard of then - the same tools people have to combat things now are the same as they were then. If people want to use that as a basis for argument, do not call them idiots, scrubs, or any other negative title because of it. And do not reply to them saying "We banned stages too hastily then as well" and call them names on that account either - there is merit in their arguments and you should not insult them.

Second, I finally figured out a little while ago why there is so much malice aimed at you and your opinions: you do not enter tournaments. This means that you do not have your hopes and dreams demolished by a bat. This means that you will never be held by port priority into a PTAD car. This means that you never have to suffer the extreme consequences that can happen if one mistake is made, and it if for this reason that people do not feel they can identify with your positions - you cannot identify with theirs.

I do agree with what you have said about RC, Brinstar, and Metaknight counterpicks in general.

And I just now read that you believe players of the game should not formulate the rule? That, sir, is an insult. You are implying that a player cannot recognize his own bias, set it aside, and make decisions objectively, and you are also implying that someone such as yourself is more qualified than some of the best Brawl minds to make rules for the game to be played. This is strongly related to what I just said about how many players cannot identify with you. Some people are not able to set aside their bias, but to state that every player is incapable of doing is deeply, deeply hurtful.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
At least that's what I would expect. My point is that every person in BBR should have a say in this and not just a certain few.
It wasn't anything like 'you don't know this stage? then you don't vote!' People chose not to vote because they didn't know enough. for example, I didn't vote on Luigis mansion because I have no experience on it.

If they're in the back room they should be knowledgeable of everything that the game has to offer tournament wise.
How are people supposed to be knowledgeable of everything that the game has to offer tournament-wise, when stages in their area haven't been used in tournaments?

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
It wasn't anything like 'you don't know this stage? then you don't vote!' People chose not to vote because they didn't know enough. for example, I didn't vote on Luigis mansion because I have no experience on it.
That's my point. I would expect for them to know about all of the stages and have experience about it. So are there people in BBR who only have certain experiences with certain characters or stages, and beyond that they if they don't know they won't vote? The game has been out for over 2 years now, the players should have had experiences with every stage.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I just now found this thread. Alrighty here's what Im going to do:

I will write up a large post concerning a number of things based on my opinions/thoughts on the matter. I won't be here for awhile, going on a vacation trip for about half a week til Sunday/Monday. If you have questions or more stuff you wanna talk about personally, just leave me a PM or visitor message. Alright, here goes. Ladies and Gentlemen, this shall be a lot of text. Hope you like walls, I try to break it down where I can:

I think we messed up on certain things. For Bowser, Idk. I feel that the change to the rule is fine, but on the other hand the previous rule wasn't a big deal IMO. Bowser is so competitively unviable to start with, and the scenario that the rule governed over probably has occured in fewer than 0.05% of Brawl Matches ever. Frankly IMO it didn't matter that much either way. Part of the problem as Vex said is some of the haziness around how it functions. Some stages you can jump out of it as Bowser and live, others maybe not so, port priority comes into play, etc. From a pure competitive standpoint, it might be more ideal to say "Go along with what the game says if there are factors that influence whether you win or not, even if you do not choose to use them/they are not there certain times" because if you jump away and go with what the game says, you win. If you have port priority and go with what the game says, ditto. If you could have jumped, but failed to do it, then you didn't take advantage of that and a win isn't necessarily granted. It gets a little meh concerning "well we're not sure if he can do it 100% or not" or "port affects it significantly", and saying go with what the game says is letting what happens happen. Now, realistically, this doesn't really matter much. It's Bowser. This shouldn't happen very often, and when it does there really isn't much detriment to taking the easy way and saying "Here is the win". In this instance, the pure competitive voice spoke louder than the simpler "Just give him the win" standpoint. Either way I don't think it makes a big difference although 1 is much simpler and gives faster results in the case of ambiguity. Vex I'll certainly talk to you some more about it, it's an interesting discussion really.

Now, for what 99% of the complaints have been about, STAGES!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Stages. The new stage list... what to make of it? I have very mixed feelings about the stage list. Mostly negative, even though I was someone who was involved in shaping it (I'll get into my stances on certain stages later). Here are my thoughts on the stage list:

- I think it was a mistake to have FD considered acceptable as a stage ONLY if the stage list was expanded to 7 or more. I think FD is a clear candidate for a 5 stage list spot. The obvious arguments against FD being that close of a starter/being a starter at all are that it's too advantaged for ground characters and that it's a strong CP for a lot of characters. On the flip side, FD along with BF is the only real stage that does nothing in terms of affecting normal gameplay. The stages are static, no hazards random or otherwise, etc. These stages are the closest you can get to Player vs Player in Brawl, and I personally think that is the direction Brawl needs to go JUST for starter stages because of the importance of Game 1 in a set. I am more lenient (but still probably considered conservative) when it comes to the CP stages. Brawl IMO should be more than just FD/BF/Similar stages, but I feel we go too far sometimes and go deep into the ridiculous CP jungle.

Now, that is my biggest complaint about the starters. I'm not a huge fan of the 9 stage starter list because frankly I feel that past 7 stages you start roaming into questionable CP land. Delfino in particular I think is a definite CP, and is only added because people feel it is more "neutral" than other CP stages. Castle Siege and Halberd are more rational IMO, but even they aren't clear starter quality at least in my eyes. Past 9 stages I think is a mistake, and I would not advise anyone going past that for 2 main reasons. 1- You go into clear CP territory and makes them selectable Game 1 stages.

Is Frigate starter quality? No, but I bet it would be added on a 11 stage starter list. This becomes even more ridiculous past that point. The 2nd- The more "liberal" stages you add on a starter list, the stronger MK is. This is because there are more stages that favor him than those that do not. It's poor game balance yes, you can't change that. However, when you think about adding more stages in, the ones you think about adding tend to mostly favor MK with few standing out that are bad for him. In a 5 stage starter list, you could have FD, BF, SV, YI, whatever. MK is wary of FD obviously, and maybe SV/BF for some matchups, and past that point he doesn't really have many stages that he has to get rid of besides Matchup specific ones. Now, past that point though, what do you get? Stages like Delfino, Frigate, RC, Norfair, Distant Planet, etc. How many of those stages favor MK, and how many do not? A disproportionate amount favor him over hurting him.

This means that the longer your list, the more strikes you have to eat up on stages he is good at. If you are given 5 strikes, but MK is good on 6-7 of the stages total, what happens is that now he gets to guarantee start on a stage that favors him. This is a bad shift in the metagame, with as much of a problem as MK is now. Ban worthy or not in your own personal opinion, it's hard to argue that he would do worse with a larger, more diverse stage list when the stages added favor him more than they hurt him (past 9 stages this is really obvious. At 9 it's debatable, but I personally think he does better on 9 than on 5). This may become evident with the 9 stage starter list as time passes on. Some people say it's clear right now that he's instantly better, others may see MLG results or stage preferences at larger tournaments and say it doesn't make him noticeably better, etc.

-Now for CP stages and my thoughts:

I think the big part of some of these CP stages is that people are not creative enough in ways of exploiting the stage layout, or that there just aren't enough tournament videos of something stupid happening on it for people to widely go "Hey, ok this should be banned, makes sense now". Think about scrooging: why did it take the community THAT long to realize MK had immense potential for gaying it up by simply gliding UNDER the stage not grabbing the edge? We all knew he could do it, we have seen people mix up going under the stage or missing a shuttle loop M2K style and recovering on the other edge. No one put 2 and 2 together and said "Hey, wait a minute, let's go under the stage not to recover, but for other means" until M2K showed people apparently. For stages like Norfair, Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Green Greens, etc. I think that people either have the hard "Don't believe it until I see it" mentality where without a bunch of tournament videos they will not say there is a problem, even if on a theory or fairly realistic thought train level it looks like the stage has issues, OR people genuinely do not see what may be possible on the stages.

Norfair: Meh. I wasn't thrilled about this one honestly. This has been legal in Texas for some time. Was on and off. Dallas tended not to have it legal, Houston did. Relating back to those past and current experiences with the stage, I can honestly say that I think it is ban worthy because of how gameplay changes. Sharking and Planking on this stage are really strong IMO. I hear arguments that planking is weaker because the platforms line up with the higher edges, and see this is where I don't think people are creative enough in seeing why that isn't a solution/deterrent to the problem. Going under the stage, and fooling around with various MK reverse shuttle loop/side B/Regular Shuttle Loop/Tornado/Glide/Down B/etc options should give an idea of just how incredibly diverse and safe some of the options on that stage are. Or how gay tornadoing under someone's shield on the platform, then moving to the other side of the stage and watching them not be able to punish you because the stage layout makes this impossible. How people miss that, IDK. Even tossing out any Lava mishaps, as there are some decent arguments on them not being an issue, I think that the stage layout alone promotes very silly and bad things for competitive Brawl. Maybe I'm seeing problems that aren't there. Maybe the stage is fine and we will see this with it being more widespread. I trust my gut feeling on this however, and I personally would not be surprised if this ended up being rebanned and a LOT of people saying "I told you so".

PS2: I completely favor this stage being a CP. Many of you might be surprised to hear that this stage was actually strongly considered for being a starter. Regardless, I personally think this is one genuine stage that looks acceptable that was just shunned by the community really early for being different. I hear that argument for other stages *cough Green Greens and Norfair and Distant Planet cough cough*, but for PS2 I actually agree I think this stage is fine and it just was not liked early on in Brawl for whatever reason. I don't think many people are really up in arms over this compared to Norfair/Mansion/others, but I know some of you might be incensed about this one. I will say that if you think this should be banned, you should also have no problem with removing Brinstar and RC as those 2 stages are clearly more "atrocious" in nature than this one.

Mansion: Oh lord. This stage. Well, this was legal in Texas quite a bit too. Banned because we thought gameplay got really gay on this stage. IDK if it was just our region at the time, but most of the time we saw this stage as a MK frenzy. I guarantee you most matches involving this stage were either Double MK, or MK main vs poor soul of another character. IMO MK is the clear "nagging pain" of this stage. Not DK, ROB, Olimar, Snake, etc. I hear many characters supposed to be ******** on this stage, but most of them also have clear CP characters against them. DK against Dedede on this stage? No. Snake against Wario? Catching him would be ********. Olimar against MK? Eww. And so on. There were some back and forth arguments over the stage being destroyable. There was the argument that destroying the stage would stop most problems the stage has. Then again, if you are having to spend time changing the stage to make it more "neutral" for it to be acceptable, that would indicate that maybe you shouldn't play there to begin with. The main problem with destroying the stage is that the stage regenerates fairly fast, and wasting time until it does so is not hard for characters who abuse the new stage layout. I just find that most gameplay either revolves around abusing the stage layout, destroying the stage layout so that the other guy can't abuse it, or waiting for it to regenerate so that you can go back to abusing it. There is little "Hey let me go try to hit that guy regularly" when you can run or make him come to you or run from him. Running is a BIG problem of the stage. Maybe just me seeing the gayness aura that starkly portrays it as unacceptable, maybe I'm seeing too much of something that isn't there, idk. From what I have already seen and done with the stage though, I do strongly believe it's not just me seeing something really gay, but there something being really gay about this stage to start with.

Green Greens: Another lovely stage that was legal quite a bit in Texas, and is now mostly off besides MLG like stage lists that include it. I think the stage is dumb, and camping becomes even more ********. I hear the argument that MK is bad on this stage, even when it really looks like he is fine on it. Under the stage are ******** scrooging and planking issues from even "regular" planking characters like G@W, Pit, Jiggs. MK himself is pretty absurd in that he has many more safer options for doing this with the extra edges in play. There are many different things he can do, some of them easier to explain in video form. I will try to make a video about the things he can do and post it so that maybe what I am trying to say makes more sense.

Distant Planet: I think this is another stage that people seem to think is alright without fully realizing the full implications of what can happen because of the layout. Sharking/being near the edge of the slant under everyone else is a really powerful position to be in with the lead. REALLY powerful. You can grab the edge near you, you can shark under the platform, you can go to the platform edge, you can go through the platform, you can move up the slant, you can sit in place, etc. There are so many options in that spot compared to any other spot on the stage. Same with being near the very edge of the platform. I don't think the slant walkoff/CG issues are that bad. However I think there are some camping exploits on this stage, that many people might not instantly see or realize, that I think will become more obvious once people play on there more frequently and realize how powerful such positions are.

Yoshi's Island Melee: I felt this should be full banned. Counter/Banned is much better than being full blown counter obviously lol. This stage many people disagree about what is a problem/what is not. My personal opinion is that the middle pit is a problem for planking, and that the Cave of Immortality effect of the stage is not beneficial to gameplay. CG's and Walkoffs not really a problem IMO, some argue it is, I would not. Dedede himself has so many counters in the present metagame that even on a stage like Bridge of Elden, you could not say the walkoff was a problem because Diddy/Falco/IC's/etc would come along and make him look foolish. Now, the 1 main issue about them IS camping the walkoffs. That I agree can be a problem. But on slanted walkoffs I actually think that is not very strong because you can hit under then easier without worrying about the Bthrow/whatever move or you can try to DI into the slant when it happens.

Pirate Ship: Same as YI Melee. I'd prefer to have it outright banned, Counter/Banned is obviously better than outright Counter. This should obviously not be legal over other clear CP stages (I would laugh if you had this, but not Frigate or something similar as a CP), but hey I could see this being one of those "Well the people don't truly mind" kind of stages.

Japes: I think there are some water stalling/layout abuse issues that people don't immediately see but are ever present. I think these will become evident with more usage. I don't think Falco is ******** here, I think MK is actually definitely better on here than him.

Port Town: Oh Lord. Lawdy Mista What haz happend?

This stage you will probably hear a lot of public BBR grunting about. This stage is probably the biggest one in terms of people going "Why is this legal?". Some stages like Pictochat, there were arguments and people would say "Ok I see what you are saying, I just disagree with stage philosophy or disagree that the problems you listed are too much for the stage to be legal". For Port Town, it seemed more like "Ok why would you want this legal, regardless of whether it feels competitively acceptable to add it?". The stage feels more like "We can, therefore we shall" not "We should, we shall". Like because it was an option, we had to use it.

There are some problems with the stage. Disagreements over the severity or the existence of these was definitely there. Lack of edges, powerful car hazards. Some people thought the cars were too much because they killed too soon in their opinion. Others felt they didn't kill at ridiculous %'s, so they were fine. Others said yes they kill really ********, but you can avoid them reasonably in their opinion. Lack of edges some said yes this is a big problem. Some said lack of edges isn't necessarily a problem, look at stages with walkoffs or stages with extended durations of no edges being fine for gameplay.

I think no edges for a majority of gameplay, when factoring in cars and traveling hurting/gone terrain makes strong edgeguarding and recovering characters being a bit too powerful. MK loves the stage, no problem recovering back and anyone who might need the edge against MK will just take it hard offstage against him. I also think the cars are a problem because regardless of your intent, you have to obey what the stage dictates or severely get punished. Im not talking about "Follow up the Delfino platform while it rises or die", Im talking about "SWEET JESUS GET OUT OF OUR WAY" takes instant priority over fighting the opponent. Even if there are safe spots, the very fact that you have to go clearly out of your way to avoid them doesn't seem amusing to me.

Again. I speak for only myself on this matter. Not for the entire BBR. These are some of my stances/thoughts, and while I agree with the majority of the dissent out there, I do agree with some of their decisions.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Why is water camping unfair?

31.7% of the cast cannot physically counter it, almost a third, about 13 characters, so on that stage 13 characters cannot stop a strategy that can be applied for 7/8 time the stage is played is basically what is being said, and even for characters who can stop it, its high risk-medium/low reward normally
Don't get 'water camping' confused with 'rudder camping.' the latter is easily able to be defined as stalling anyway, thusly banned, thusly not an issue.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
That's my point. I would expect for them to know about all of the stages and have experience about it. So are there people in BBR who only have certain experiences with certain characters or stages, and beyond that they if they don't know they won't vote? The game has been out for over 2 years now, the players should have had experiences with every stage.
So...you expect every member of the backroom to know every detail about every character and stage in the game, as well as everything each of those characters can do on every stage? Tell me: what is a Luigi player's strategy on 75m against a Zelda player? You will not know the answer to this because it is not relevant to competitive Brawl. The same is so with backroom members; if a stage is not legal in his/her region, it is not relevant to their competitive Brawl experiences and so they will not know as much about it as someone in whose region it is legal. Backroom members are human too; to expect them to know everything is asking too much

The Truth!

Smash Ace
How are people supposed to be knowledgeable of everything that the game has to offer tournament-wise, when stages in their area haven't been used in tournaments?
If you wanted people to test it then you shouldve gone about this an entirely different way. If a large majority of the members of the bbr didnt have enough experience to vote on it than outright allowing was not the brightest way to test it.
And finally, I'd really like to say this. If you are not willing to try this moveset, you are stymieing the growth of the competitive environment.
No one cares.
You are being ridiculously closed-minded, and your regions will likely fail horribly at MLG this yea
Socal alone has five MLG pros while the midwest has been testing these stages for years and has one?
We're deciding the best way to competitively play brawl, and player experience only matters to a certain point.
Incorrect, thats all that matters. There is no best way to competitively play brawl, and in the attempts to find something that does not exist the community is ignored and upset. It certainly becomes completely pointless when no ones playing the game.
I wish that everyone here who's saying that we're underqualified to argue this would realize how wrong they are. To put this simply: Playing the game requires a different skill set than making the rules for the game.
Poorly put. Playing the game proficiently is a requirement for being able to competently make the rules. Are other skills required? Sure. But if your aren't competent in the game then you are automatically underqualified to create its rules.

In fact, so much to the extent that no actual pro player should be allowed to make the rules-the people who make the rules must be knowledgeable but should not actually play the game any more....Players will be biased. Hell, I'm biased, but I try to put that bias aside and argue for the points I support with the methods that actually make sense, as opposed to "this **** is gay".
Wait, you admit to being biased yet believe you can put yours aside...yet a player cant put theirs aside to "argue points they support with methods that make sense"? Fail.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Because not everyone is going to learn everything about a stage that had never seen tournament play in their region. Some will, but not all.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
So...you expect every member of the backroom to know every detail about every character and stage in the game, as well as everything each of those characters can do on every stage? Tell me: what is a Luigi player's strategy on 75m against a Zelda player? You will not know the answer to this because it is not relevant to competitive Brawl. The same is so with backroom members; if a stage is not legal in his/her region, it is not relevant to their competitive Brawl experiences and so they will not know as much about it as someone in whose region it is legal. Backroom members are human too; to expect them to know everything is asking too much
As far as the competitive nature of the game I expect them to know more than the average joe. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a group that's labeled to have "knowledgeable and respected" members?

Famous

Smash Champion
Hahaha...I just realized that there wasn't a ledge grab rule....Camping the ledge is considered stalling so I don't see why they didn't instate the lgl...

Man...this is gonna suck...Hopefully you all just forgot to post it...

Ayoub

Smash Ace
"We expect that a smart player can get around the bombs on Pirate ships, the stupid creature on Distant, the cars on port town, the lava on norfair, etc etc.."

God, people just want to play the game. Not playing while they have to fear stupid hazards coming up out of nowhere. It's annoying enough to play characters with annoying projectiles such as Falco or Pit. With those annoying stages with annoying hazards it only makes it works. It'll more look like a avoid-the-hazards-minigame then brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom