• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Ok, so a dual effort by Black Panther and Dart has got me confused on something here regarding shields. So you all know about moving the silly thing....my question is, WHERE should I be moving it? Black Panther is saying you'd only move it to places so you don't get poked...but Dart is saying that you have to DI even when you're in your shield, so that'd mean I'd be holding down/back which would more than likely increase my chances of getting shield poked X_X....

Can someone shed some light on this whole shield moving mumbo jumbo?

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
generally you want to just move it to block attacks, e.g. downwards while youre on a plat above marth

shield DI can move you while your shield gets hit by a move, making shieldgrabs on raptor boost and similar punishes possible

if you think youre gonna get shield poked, then dont try to DI while shielding, just get out of there by rolling or something

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
i dont remember who it was, maybe it was nakamaru. but he said "grabbing is useless, raptorboost is an upthrow anyway"

when comment about the future of falcons metagame

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Guys, quick question.

What do you guys do when you have no one to play against? Obvious answer is obvious, I know, or at least for the most part. I'm sure most practice tech skill on the stage with things like platform wavelands and all that nifty stuff where you improve your maneuverability. But other than that, does anyone have any special routines they like to do to improve upon certain aspects? Like...to get better at gentlemans, do you play against Level 9's or something like that? Ledge tech practice is pretty obvious, either BtT or mines on the ledges...how about learning the timing for shield stun after hitting a shield with an aerial? I've heard some people learn the soonest they can dash after SHFFL'ing an aerial? Anything else people here try to practice so they can implement it into their games the next time they play somebody?

Just really curious, because maybe there's something I'm not doing enough of that might be beneficial to my game =P

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
btt ledge tech practice doesnt work i dont think, i did it like a hundred times in a row with fox but still cant do it at all in matches. the extra hitlag on those burners make it easier or something

something i occasionally do and should do more is hit people with like bairs or any reverse aerial then follow it as fast as i can, i have a lot of trouble with the timing of dashing backwards after aerials

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
yeah, i was actually going to suggest this before i read what big D said, but def. practice BAir to follow up.

bair to dash behind knee

bair to dash behind stomp

bair to dash behind run-off knee is the sexiest ****. period. nothing more need be said.

i dont remember Nak. i just remember that one classic line.

GrapesnWobbles

Smash Rookie
can anyone direct to some players in the japan area, im in the air force and got staioned here lookin for a challenge, i know its alot to ask but if someone could point me in the right direction i would be grateful thnx

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
where in japan? I can show you around if you're either in kansai, or willing to go there :D

next tourney will probably be 10/16(sat) or 10/17(sun) btw

if you're in tokyo the most I can do for you is point you in the direction of the good melee players over there, but there aren't nearly as many. kanto is like, all brawl

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Misawa, Aomori? LOL **** dude you're really far from everything >_> I'll try asking around but don't expect too much.

_kSo_

Smash Master
so i was playing on an HD tv last night at some random smasher's place, and needless to say, it was laggy as hell...

however, I did discover a few things...

1) my moonwalking was multitudes more smooth
2) edge canceling was happening left and right
3) using fox is easier

I realize that these observations occurred because of the fact that I am trying to move too fast all the time, and I think that playing on this laggy tv really showed me that slowing down my physical movement would be crucial to my gameplay.

I remember being told once that playing falcon is more about "slowing down" than speeding up. Most of the lower level players seem to have this image in their head that falcon is supposed to be played lightning fast speeding across the screen. However there is no balance between speed and control when one attempts such a feat. If you just take a deep breath and just focus on reading techs and following the opponent's movement rather than focusing on your own movement, everything else will fall into place.

Just a few thoughts...

_kSo_

Smash Master
You gotta think though. That Fox was slowed down too xP
wasn't sure what you meant by this until I re-read what I had written. XD

I should have been clearer. I wasn't saying the matchup of falcon vs fox is easier, it's just I tried to switch to fox and I ended up having an easier time playing as fox with lag than I normally do without lag...

and tomacawk, you're totally right about that, I forgot the key fact that falcon gains power exponentially based on how many times he has lapped someone. True story.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I love you Alan. I miss you a lot. A LOT.

<3

SO GUYS
I just quit fox. I main falcon for singles now (still play the marsupial for dubs)
is this win?
y/n

Tomacawk

Smash Master
who ARE you people
Kramer reference?
edit-renechrist, i have done it before lol
but I think I may actually stay falcon forever at this point...I've got at least a few moths of maining him due
honestly though, fox is too ****ing difficult. it's impossible for me to focus enough, I make tons of unforced errors, terrible decisions, and I can't stop myself from being flashy to the point of corroding my own play style

falcon, on the other hand, is smooth as ****, fun zoom zooming around everywhere
and I don't john for myself when I lose with falcon, I feel like I've lost because I was out played, not because I can't hit the right ****ing buttons

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You have to smash DI those shines vs Falco. Like as soon as you get shined smash DI the opposite direction that you are facing him. In that match-up, you have to reset the battle a lot but in that stage it's really tough.

Top Bottom