• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
you could test that by turning infinite jump on and seeing if they are able to wear off the hitstun.

or just use one the codes that let you live even after going off-stage, smasher had it, i'm not sure if you can find it.

OH

found another way too that could work

set the damage percentile at a lower percent so when you spike him with final cutter he will have a better chance to recover or even less knockback.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
My new computer uses vista, I do not have internet on that computer yet, but when I do get internet I wish to know the following. What do I do differently with Vista vs Xp when it comes to PJ64 and PJ64's online play? What do I need to learn to do differently? Thank you for your time in advance.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
My new computer uses vista, I do not have internet on that computer yet, but when I do get internet I wish to know the following. What do I do differently with Vista vs Xp when it comes to PJ64 and PJ64's online play? What do I need to learn to do differently? Thank you for your time in advance.
you can do two things:

1. download project64KVE

2. manually set up pj64k yourself
for option 2, you just need to replace jabo's direct 3D7 with jabo's direct 3D8.

simple.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
@Dragoon Fighter
But be carefull, some of the latest versions of PJ64 crashes some USB joystick sometimes, I've been victim of 3...

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
What's the deal with grabs? Technically speaking, do they have the highest priority of any attack?

Lots of times I'll notice that I or other people seem to be able to grab opponents out of the attack they're executing. Notably characters who leap forward with attacks seem to get grabbed the most, e.g. Kirby and Fox's forward smashes.

Is the grab out prioritizing the attack? Or is it just that the grab's hitbox reaches through the opponent's hitbox and into their hurtbox, but without exposing your own hurtbox to the opponent's hitbox.

It seems that when you grab, most characters lunge forward (seen in situations where both characters are out of grab range, but when one grabs, he leans forward, and the other can grab him), so it would appear that the hurt boxes move forward as well, kinda disproving the idea that a grab can travel through opposing hitboxes without exposing its own hurtbox, especially since the hitboxes in this game are so massive.

Anybody care to shed some light? Or am I just missing something... coming off of three hours of sleep here.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero

as you can see pikachus grab extends well past his hurt box allowing you to "grab attacks" so to say.

If you catch their hurt box with the area of grab range that isnt within your hurtbox, im pretty sure you'll end up with a successful grab

Vs. Fox Utilt

You can obviously grab this without getting hit pretty easily :p

Vs Links Fsmash

Not So likely to go your way...look at all those hit boxes o.o;;

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
That's an awful lot of hit boxes. Redundant much?

I just think it's crazy that you can grab somebody when they're winding up or in the middle of a massive attack. Whenever it happens, it's all :trollface:

Also, I was once grabbed out of a Falcon Punch. It was probably a frame or two right after you hear the explosion, so you see a quick flash of orange, an explosion that blows out my speakers, and there I am, grabbed.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU-

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I have a build in video card for windows vista and windows movie maker will not work for me. Does anyone know a good free user friendly video editing software?

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Does anybody know how to get Mupen to recognize TWO different controllers? I mapped each controller using the buttons of each controller, but they both act together, and only from controller one's input.

I'm using NRage's plugin, and I don't see an option for selecting a "device" like I do in PJ64k.

Lyfey

Smash Rookie
When I try to play online and host a match, the option "Item Switch" doesn't show up. I have "Item Switch" offline, but not online. I would like to know how I could fix the problem.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
After starting an online game, go to your cheats menu and enable 'Have All Characters' and 'Have Mushroom Kingdom'.

You might have to do this every time you start, but that's the easy (dumb) solution.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
C'mon, SOMEbody must know how to get two controllers to function independently of each other in Mupen!

I'm using that fancy pants adapter with the two ports, and I can get multiplayer support on PJ64, but not Mupen. I even tried reverting to a previous version of NRage's plugin where it asks you to specify what device is being used to control the virtual controllers in each port. I chose keyboard for P3 and my controller for P1, but it still moved them at the same time, from my controller. The keyboard did nothing...

DMoogle

A$
After starting an online game, go to your cheats menu and enable 'Have All Characters' and 'Have Mushroom Kingdom'.

You might have to do this every time you start, but that's the easy (dumb) solution.
I *think* whether you have to do it every time or not depends on the Kaillera server software.

Dsc

Smash Ace
This might have been answered before..

But can someone just flat out explain to me how the horizontal knockback falcon uair thing works? And how to do it? Is it random?
No, not the reverse/tippered uair. Normal facing uair, but they go flying horizontally. Ive always wondered..

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Probably a small tipper hitbox...

I saw something that helped me understand it somewhere...forgot where though...

Not like I use it on purpose though :3

ballin4life

Smash Hero
To hit with the diagonal up/forward uair you have to hit with the very tip of it. To hit with the just forward you have to hit like the full reverse uair but spaced so that they go forwards.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
I need a little help!!!
I got a Laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate, and whenever I try to run some Kaillera related software, it crashes...
PJ64k Crashes
Mupen64k Crashes
I can play local, but when it comes to Net play, there's where the problem comes...
Is there something I could do about that??

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I have a build in video card for windows vista and windows movie maker will not work for me. Does anyone know a good free user friendly video editing software?
For editing, virtualdub is pretty good
For converting into a different format, formatfactory is very good.
For a more advanced/professional software, try Adobe Premiere

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I, out of curiously got my hands on the japan version of Nintendo all stars smash brothers, and I have to say I am really curious about the tier list for this game. I have read the quote explaining the, what is different, between the two games, and I wish to know how to do the japan turning slide (Is it like teleport, or Wavedashing :awesome:?).

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
How do I do a japanese turning slide?

Also I am looking for a complete save file for Super Smash Bros. the file which has all the progress saved on to it. I need it for a project of mine.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Yup, grabs have infinite priority. If two characters grab each other on the same frame, P1>P2>P3>P4.
Are you sure they have infinite priority? After all, jabs beat grabs as demonstrated in the Japanese SSB site:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/LvFrameLayout.html
(二段 section, 4th section down, yellow grabs at the same time pink jabs, pink wins)

My understanding is that they appear to beat many powerful attacks simply because they are
1. Fast
2. Can be done straight out of a run or out of a shield
3. Have decent range, which again, comes out quickly.
4. Ignore clanking rules, only range matters. I wouldn't agree this equals infinite priority, because it's not like it wins any hitbox battles it can't outrange. No special privileges are given since the rules change for both players--if the opponent's attack reaches the grabber's hurtbox before the opposite happens, then the opponent's attack wins, and vice versa. If neither the grab hitbox or the opponent's hitbox reaches a hurtbox, then nothing happens.

The smash attacks that keep getting "beaten" by grabs almost always have high start-up lag--thus you'll notice that low start-up attacks like certain tilts and jabs are a useful countermeasure against grab spammers. Kirby's fsmash is fast, but it's not faster than a grab, and if you look at its hitboxes (Fireblaster hasn't uploaded yet), Kirby actually pushes his hurtbox forward making it easier to for him to reach a grabber's hitbox.

Same story goes for Fox's fsmash. He pushes his hurtbox forward during his leap, but slightly before his hitbox comes out, which is too late against a grabber that initiates a grab at the same time at a slight distance.

You can also grab characters at the end (or during) some of their smash attacks, but that is due entirely to their hitbox being outranged. What throws people off is that if you did, for example, an ftilt instead, it would clank. People aren't used to attacks being interrupted so curtly and without any clash, which is what grabs do.

But grabs don't automatically beat any attack they come in contact with. Most attacks just have poor range or start-up, and since grabs are "all or nothing", it tends to look like grabs are "all".

The Star King

Smash Hero
Are you sure they have infinite priority? After all, jabs beat grabs as demonstrated in the Japanese SSB site:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/LvFrameLayout.html
(二段 section, 4th section down, yellow grabs at the same time pink jabs, pink wins)
Well, for this website I got this as the translation:

In this game, everyone's character is probably
Has become more rapid availability of the less offensive than actually throwing.

So the motion to seal against me when the melee,
Toshi Tamotsu attack a little more weakness.
However, the large cast was decided more damage, even invincible
Or become so, and there Kitou Hatena.

If we take the example of the way Mario,
The punch caused 2F, throwing the occurrence of 6F.

Pink attacking the weak,
Throw yellow
At the same time.
(picture of Pink and Yellow Kirby standing next to each other)

Results.
(Pink Kirby jabbing yellow)
It's hard to tell what they're saying with the shoddy Google translating, but I think "Everyone's character has become more rapid availability of the less offensive than actually throwing" means something like "Every character has a more rapid but less offensive option than grabbing". When the Pink and Yellow Kirby attack each other "at the same time", I think it means they START at the same time, and jab comes out faster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't priority in this game determine what happens when two characters hit each other with an attack at the same time? From my understanding, outranging grabs isn't outprioritizing grabs.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Well, what I meant was, that is exactly what grabs do -- they outrange, but they don't outprioritize.

As evidence, let us consider Ness's PKT2 (the attacking portion). If grabs had infinite priority, then you could grab Ness straight out of it. Then if one argues that it has the same priority as PKT2 (and call that class "infinite priority"), then at the very least grabs would not lose against it. But clearly PKT2 plows through every grab imaginable.

I'd say it's more accurate to say grabs have no priority; that is, there is no priority value assigned to them. They are a range-only move.

It's like talking of aerial priority--it doesn't really exist; only range exists. At least, this is to the best of my understanding. I haven't seen evidence of priority existing anywhere but ground vs ground attacks.

Top Bottom