• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
X and espy are also talented players.

to quote m2k "99% of you suck"
its not unreasonable to assume bad players won't do well with bad characters

Coney

Smash Master
who did the sonics beat at mlg dallas?
>:Iu jersk

the reason i ask is because, from what i remember, they were predominantly west coast players, right? and it's already been speculated that west coast has a severe sonic problem, for whatever reason. frivolous as that sounds, that seems like the only way you could actually be able to write off sonic's accomplishments, by saying an entire coast is countered by him (which would be pretty impressive by itself anyway)

i could be very, very wrong though, i can't remember who they beat combined

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
who did the sonics beat at MLG dallas?
PeachGuard
Dakpo
Mr. Doom
DEHF
UTD Zac
Shaky
Rich Brown
Tyrant
X

Those were the people I managed to win against at MLG Dallas. I recall X beating:

Seibrik (pretty sure I spelled it wrong)
Dojo
Nick Riddle
Lee Martin

I don't remember who else. I do know that he plowed through 8-9 Meta Knights, though.

Coney

Smash Master
PeachGuard
Dakpo
Mr. Doom
DEHF
UTD Zac
Shaky
Rich Brown
Tyrant
X

I recall X beating:

Seibrik (pretty sure I spelled it wrong)
Dojo
Nick Riddle
Lee Martin
???
south
south
west
south
southeast
west
west
west

southeast
south
southeast
southeast

wow, that's actually kinda funny...

not to write off your or X's accomplishments or anything of course, but i think it's interesting that there weren't any east coast players (as far as you know anyway, unless we're missing someone)

again i want to stress that i'm not trying to imply anything! i personally am pretty swayed by what sonics have accomplished but just playing devil's advocate here.

EDIT - oh, lain? well there's one midwest!

also lmfao @ all this namesearch bait, what up *****es

Browny

Smash Hater
I also know that the players fighting against these mains didn't know the match ups, consequently when I look at anuar beating X I can proove my hypothesis as to see why these players did so well( not to take any credit away from them)
rofl

Thats right you saw it here first, generic marth theorycrafter #56 KNOWS how much matchup experience each and every player who lost to sonic had.

Wheres the proof? Oh thats right, if the proof doesnt match your 2008 ignorant opinions of how bad sonic is, clearly the evidence is now void. Your 'hypothesis' is laughable, maybe X just had a bad day? Hes had countless good days to make up for it though which is A LOT more than I can say for most of C tier and lower.

Have you ever considered the possibility that... They actually DID know the matchup? Unfortunately X/Espy are just too damn good and are using a character with the potential to win?

Unbelievable. Stop acting like you know sonic is bad because you dont, and NO ONE knows how good/bad he is. The tier list is just an approximation, Sonic could actually be high tier all along and then his recent results would look perfectly normal. But thats not an exaggeration, take a look at diddy. He was getting top tier results in 08/09 when people thought he was mid tier. Funny how that turned out.

---

For the record I dont think Sonic is high tier at all, just a few places higher. But attempting to discredit all his work over the last 2 years is a massive insult to the players who put in the work to prove what hes capable of, while characters ASSUMED to be good, get a free ride into high tier without having to do much, because we all though they were good in 2008/2009, therefore they must obviously still be good in 2011.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
rofl

Thats right you saw it here first, generic marth theorycrafter #56 KNOWS how much matchup experienc each and every player who lost to sonic had.

Wheres the proof? Oh thats right, if the proof doesnt match your 2008 ignorant opinions of how bad sonic is, clearly the evidence is now void.

Have you ever considered the possibility that... They actually DID know the matchup? Unfortunately X/Espy are just too damn good and are using a character with the potential to win?

Unbelievable. Stop acting like you know sonic is bad because you dont, and NO ONE knows how good/bad he is. The tier list is just an approximation, Sonic could actually be high tier all along and then his recent results would look perfectly normal. But thats not an exaggeration, take a look at diddy. He was getting top tier results in 08/09 when people thought he was mid tier. Funny how that turned out.
I don't act like a marth elitist, for 1 75% of my tournament matches I've gone metaknight. I do however currently practice marth metaknight and ice climbers equally but I cannot say that I ,fairly, main marth due to me not going him in tournament(this may change soon however). Please do not label me as such. I don't know if you are trolling or just mad.

(at match up discussion)
No because several of them said they didn't, and I'd believe them,I can go find posts of other people telling them how they played it wrong too. I find it hard to believe espy is better than DEHF.

You contradict yourself in the last paragraph when you say that no one knows the tier list, and yet you are trying to tell me he's better? Are each of us not entailed to our own opinion?IS THIS NOT the discussion OF the metagame and the tier list? Sonic is not consistently getting top tier results, he clearly didn't today. Hell DEHF won the tournament using C tier characters lol and it proves only that anuar knows the sonic match up and is a decent enough player to exploit it.

I am not here with a personal bias against sonic. I am allowed to have my opinion that he isn't better than fox or pit along with however many characters above him.

I honestly want to know if TKD won WGF would you still say sonic is better than fox, or would you still say sonic is better?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
???
south
south
west
south
southeast
west
west
west

southeast
south
southeast
southeast

not to write off your or X's accomplishments or anything of course, but i think it's interesting that there weren't any east coast players (as far as you know anyway, unless we're missing someone)

again i want to stress that i'm not trying to imply anything! i personally am pretty swayed by what sonics have accomplished but just playing devil's advocate here.
You sure as hell are implying something. Saying that you're not trying is just silly, Coney. Also, X isn't "West". He's Southwest, according to the region thread. All of those "South"ers are also considered Southwest. PeachGuard is also Southwest.

And Tyrant has had plenty of Sonic experience with X in the past. What you're obviously implying doesn't apply to him.

etecoon

Smash Hero
fox has higher upside than sonic but more risk IMO

I wouldn't say either character is really better, I'm kinda with stingers on this atm tbh. tiers can maybe give you a rough idea of character strength but honestly I wouldn't be this picky about 1-2 spots difference, it's ultimately very irrelevant anyway

Coney

Smash Master
i'm genuinely not! people said for a long time sonic sucks. and then it was well, sonic beat a few good people from the same region, but he still sucks. then it was well, sonic beat a lot of good people from a lot of regions, but he still sucks.

i think it's ridiculous, especially considering how well X has done against players like M2K in the past, and i'm only looking at MLGs here. i'm not implying anything, if i was i would just come out and say it, i legitimately think sonic is a very good character (****, speed is in my crew, man).

i'm just trying to see it from the other perspective, distorted as it may be. i do that a lot, try to gather truths from both sides. i agree that people saying sonic is unproven is stupid, considering he has TWO extremely prominent mains whereas many characters in C tier and some of B are lucky to even have ONE, but let's try to understand these maniacs, eh?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
the only match up I actually see tyrant play is the falco one. He doesn't play match ups which is why I do not include TKD beating tyrant (including like near 3 stocking or 3 stocking him most recently on SV) to be accurate showings of either sonics of fox strength as a character.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
lol at implying most of a certain region has severe problems versus one character

Nestec

Smash Ace
For once can we stop talking about Sonic
Goodness, I agree.

But I guess there's nothing else to talk about...

---

Well, for those who would also wish to discuss something other than Sonic, where do you guys feel Yoshi would belong if a new tier list were to be released right now?

I'm thinking above PT and Ness, under Sheik.

:green:

Nestec

Smash Ace
Then let's.

I don't know anything about stage CPs, so I'll sit this one out actually...X_X

Browny

Smash Hater
You contradict yourself in the last paragraph when you say that no one knows the tier list, and yet you are trying to tell me he's better? Are each of us not entailed to our own opinion? IS THIS NOT the discussion OF the metagame and the tier list? Sonic is not consistently getting top tier results, he clearly didn't today. Hell DEHF won the tournament using C tier characters lol and it proves only that anuar knows the sonic match up and is a decent enough player to exploit it.

I am not here with a personal bias against sonic. I am allowed to have my opinion that he isn't better than fox or pit along with however many characters above him.

I honestly want to know if TKD won WGF would you still say sonic is better than fox, or would you still say sonic is better?
Heres the little difference;

I think marth is a mid-b tier character
how does this make you feel? now compare it to
I know that marth is a mid-b tier character because he only ever placed by getting lucky brackets
Having an opinion is fine. But attempting to justify said opinions by using words such as 'know' in all of your posts instead of 'think' while using absolutely ridiculous reasons such as assuming everyone sonics beat didnt know the match, makes your 'opinions' a little hard to swallow.

I used to think Sonic was better than fox but I see absolutely no reason for that to be the case now. The assumption we must make is, if TKD went to the MLG finals, would he have placed higher or lower than the sonics? Its a big stretch to suggest either would have happened, but at the end of the day his fox is actually winning tournaments as oppose to simply placing very high, so I couldnt put sonic higher.

Coney

Smash Master
i still think PT belongs in low tier, but i've never played a severely talented one so maybe i'm wrong

currently yoshi seems good bunched with sonic and ike in the "holy ****ing **** what is this character doing" sub-tier

except i think sonic should go up to the bottom of C, below DK, and that peach should go behind him.

boy, sonic sure is great huh guys? wanna talk sonic?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
NintendoFreak you might be a bit blind to realize Fox is in the right spot on the tier list for now at least. (Waits for the razor blade and Lemon Juice).
He's mad overrated, who can't even get his best player to go solo Fox, and the only reason he's that high is because a bunch of characters under him can't even manage to scrape up that much. Pit and Peach both clearly have better tools than Fox. Fox's tools are about par with R.O.B.: effective in the right hands, but highly predictable and limited in number.

Currently speaking Wolf is doing more than Fox is, the two clearly belong right next to each other. They have very similar MU spread and results. But oddly enough, I don't think many people are going to accept that for some silly reason. It's due to this thing called "massive overhyping of one of the two characters". How do you fix this? Either give the other character the equal amount of hype, or remove the hype for the first character. Given the lack of big results from Peach, R.O.B., and to a lessor extant Pit, I moved Wolf up.

Nestec

Smash Ace
i still think PT belongs in low tier, but i've never played a severely talented one so maybe i'm wrong
I don't care what tier he falls in, as long as he is not above Sheik, Yoshi, Ness, or Lucas.

currently yoshi seems good bunched with sonic and ike in the "holy ****ing **** what is this character doing" sub-tier
Lol, agreed.

except i think sonic should go up to the bottom of C, below DK, and that peach should go behind him.
Peach would look great behind anyone...

...wait, what?

boy, sonic sure is great huh guys? wanna talk sonic?
Dont be a fgt

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Heres the little difference;

I used to think Sonic was better than fox but I see absolutely no reason for that to be the case now. The assumption we must make is, if TKD went to the MLG finals, would he have placed higher or lower than the sonics? Its a big stretch to suggest either would have happened, but at the end of the day his fox is actually winning tournaments as oppose to simply placing very high, so I couldnt put sonic higher.
If the biggest problem in this discussion is a feeling that I act in an aloof manner, then I apologize.

I only sigged the second part of your post because I'm confused? Are you trying to tell me a better way of conveying my thoughts or how to actually feel about the game.

Nestec

Smash Ace
He's mad overrated, who can't even get his best player to go solo Fox, and the only reason he's that high is because a bunch of characters under him can't even manage to scrape up that much. Pit and Peach both clearly have better tools than Fox. Fox's tools are about par with R.O.B.: effective in the right hands, but highly predictable and limited in number.
That's the thing though. The people below him are also mad overrated.

The only thing holding them where they are is "Oh, they should be pretty good, I think".

Currently speaking Wolf is doing more than Fox is, the two clearly belong right next to each other. They have very similar MU spread and results. But oddly enough, I don't think many people are going to accept that for some silly reason. It's due to this thing called "massive overhyping of one of the two characters". How do you fix this? Either give the other character the equal amount of hype, or remove the hype for the first character. Given the lack of big results from Peach, R.O.B., and to a lessor extant Pit, I moved Wolf up.
Wolf deserves the rise as well as Fox does, in my opinion.

Blacknight99923 said:
I only sigged the second part of your post because I'm confused? Are you trying to tell me a better way of conveying my thoughts or how to actually feel about the game.
Sigged? Or quoted?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
yeah and this mlg dude lost to anuar who isn't ranked.

My point still stands.

you know the match up sonic sucks, or is mediocre and does not deserve a significant raise

and this 1 tournament buisness rofl

MLG was one tournament, call it 1 bad tournament for people who didn't learn their match ups if you want to play it that way.
Hmm, now I'm not sure if I grabbed the right post, but according to one of them, just because X lost to some unranked guy means Sonic ought to drop?

Unlike that post though, I have valid proof with a bracket that Z; a renowned Pikachu player, lost to an unranked, Zelda player. Should Pikachu drop now?

Nooooooo~. :3

http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=10396

Ugh, I'm almost ashamed to link this. I did God awful, and I really need to rethink my approach and defense. But that is beside the point.

I'm not going to make up excuses for X, but players have their bad days too, among other things that could've went wrong. Just as there are some things that could've factored in for a player getting deep in a bracket, but can we be reasonable here and assume that the next time Z plays a Zelda he won't lose; just as X might not lose if he gets a chance to play the same dude again?

At least if he does lose the 2nd time around, then there's no excuse.

For once can we stop talking about Sonic
I agree. It's so difficult trying to work with people who think that Mid-tier doesn't need a (second?) revision.

Fox, Wolf, and Yoshi have been doing very well.

Peach has apparently been doing okay. Pit's okay.

As for everybody else around that area. I sincerely believe that Donkey Bong, R.O.B., and Luigi should drop. That's my $0.02, or perhaps a wish-list for the next version.

Am I forgetting anybody else?

Eh, probably Toon Link and Kirby. Although Toon Link is a decent character, and I'm hesitant to judge Kirby. Just because that puffball only has Back Air doesn't mean every other of his options suck. Or do they? I don't know, could somebody give me an informed, and perhaps unbiased opinion of Kirby and how he's been doing/how good of a character he is, and where he should be compared to everybody else now please?

Many thanks.

:093:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Better to talk about one character that is currently interesting in the metagame than about something stupid like Link.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I'm going to teach everyone how to beat Peach right now.

Everyone knows Peach has insane shield pressure strings that make shielding unsafe, because you either wait out the pressure string and punish when you expect her to stop attacking (usually after jab 1 you spot dodge, or wait out jab 2 and punish it, or roll after the aerial on shield). If she reads your roll, you eat a strong hit or another aerial, and if she reads your wait, you take a lot of shield damage and you're still in a bad position. Thus, usually, it's suggested that you avoid shielding vs Peach.

Here's an easy way that is actually pretty obvious to avoid the pressure string and reset to neutral: when you expect a dair and have to shield, shield the first few hits. Near the end of the attack, release your shield and eat the last hit or two. At high enough percents, you take very little damage and dair's hit doesn't really set you up for anything that's very difficult to avoid.

If you want to be really cool (this is how I usually do it, or how I was doing it the other night anyway lol) shield for the first couple hits, release, and SDI UP and perform your fastest aerial (for me it's uair so it's very easy).

Peach is bad.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
This Arguement over Sonic being Terrible or Decent based off of X losing to a random is quite funny.
The tier list is just an approximation, Sonic could actually be high tier all along and then his recent results would look perfectly normal. But thats not an exaggeration, take a look at diddy. He was getting top tier results in 08/09 when people thought he was mid tier. Funny how that turned out.

For the record I dont think Sonic is high tier at all, just a few places higher. But attempting to discredit all his work over the last 2 years is a massive insult to the players who put in the work to prove what hes capable of, while characters ASSUMED to be good, get a free ride into high tier without having to do much, because we all though they were good in 2008/2009, therefore they must obviously still be good in 2011.
This^
For my train of thought, SSBB isn't like one of those games where (Games off the top of my head) it gets Updates every couple of months like Gears of War 2 or Characters gaining levels to become stronger like Paper Mario.
The character is the same and it all depends on the player and how well they play. Like Sonic he was low Tier the first tier list, Now with the 5th tierlist after almost 3 years of the game being released on March of 2008. He's sitting in the middle of D-tier and with the results he's been getting he'll probably jump to Top of D-tier or Bottom of C-tier.
Same can be said with characters like Yoshi Ike and Pit.

EDIT: More Browny post to further point.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
fox definitely has a near even match up with metaknight
No. Like most matchups that MK struggles in it's a 6-4 MK advantage. Definitely not even.

I hate to break your hype about sonic. x but he just lost twice to a socal random in tournament who mains oli snake and MK

I guess sonic deserves the hype
get ***** thread

edit anuar might win this tourney. The socal PR agreed not to use any character above C tier for this tournament
This isn't the first time X has lost to a random. This also doesn't immediately nullify the 50+ other tournaments where he placed in the money.

That's not even close to breaking Sonic hype.

Sonic still had two top 8s in MLG. That ain't suddenly going to prevent him from rising potentially over Fox. Silly antiSonic person, one bad tournament never changes anything. Get real already boy.
Yep cept you the silly antiFox dood. Pot calling the kettle black.

yeah and this mlg dude lost to anuar who isn't ranked.

My point still stands.

you know the match up sonic sucks, or is mediocre and does not deserve a significant raise

and this 1 tournament buisness rofl

MLG was one tournament, call it 1 bad tournament for people who didn't learn their match ups if you want to play it that way.
DEHF didn't know the Sonic matchup? O wait he has played X in Cali tons of times.

Texas didn't know the Sonic matchup? O wait Espy lives there

Rich Brown doesn't know the Sonic matchup? O wait he's from Cali

You don't seem to know what you're talking about.

why do people not see Peach results? All legitimate Peaches are in stacked areas.
And they don't do anything.

What is pushing Fox above Wolf in some of your tier lists? Are MUs even being considered?
If we're talking about matchups then Fox and Wolf both have bad matchups. I don't care what your guys' matchup ratios are he has bad matchups. And his bad matchups are more common characters.

Example: "Kain just beat Atomsk!!!!!! ZOMG Wolf should be higher"

then he meets DDD.

which tells me that

1. Kain is amazing &

2. Wolf still sucks.

I factor results yes. but knowing why a person did that far I believe is crucial

for example at 2GG(80 person tournament) a player named truth placed 5th with pikachu. The seeding however was done poorly. Truth got a free braket of unranked players and subsequently lost to ranks when he played them.

More specifically regarding this topic teh sonic players at MLG dallas did indeed beat big names like DEHF, tyrant, rich brown, siebrik, ect which are incredible accomplishments. I also know that the players fighting against these mains didn't know the match ups, consequently when I look at anuar beating X I can proove my hypothesis as to see why these players did so well( not to take any credit away from them)

In the case of pit I would look at prominent pit players like masashi, who tends to be an extremely patient smart player who has consistently placed high in japan for a long time. I can then look at the characters attributes, match ups, ect and then make an educated guess about the character. Pit has better overall match ups against high tiers which help aid the player more than sonic who has to over come match ups such as metaknight, snake, olimar, marth, falco ect, most if not all of whom pit does better against.

If however it was shown japanese players were not playing a match up correctly (which I doubt) or some other kind of evidence that my opinions about pit are incorrect I would change my opinion.
Still on that stuff about WC players not knowing the Sonic matchup even though WC players have played X and Espy a lot.???

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

There are alot of matchups that people don't know. And yet most of these characters still don't do well regardless.
I agree.

???
south
south
west
south
southeast
west
west
west

southeast
south
southeast
southeast

EDIT - oh, lain? well there's one midwest!

also lmfao @ all this namesearch bait, what up *****es
Ummm Coney this argument doesn't make much sense. Sonic players are beating people that have a lot of Sonic experience?

And X has done well against M2K in the past....so yea I don't really see why it matters that East Coast wasn't there and they don't have any elite Sonics over there any way so it's safe to assume they would have been wrecked just like the WC players.

The only one to really lay the beat down on Sonic the whole tournament was Ally.

fox has higher upside than sonic but more risk IMO

I wouldn't say either character is really better, I'm kinda with stingers on this atm tbh. tiers can maybe give you a rough idea of character strength but honestly I wouldn't be this picky about 1-2 spots difference, it's ultimately very irrelevant anyway
Yes. Fox is one of those characters that can take your stock in 30 seconds if you're not careful, but at the same time he isn't very safe imo.

I think Fox is dangerous but I feel that Sonic is a better character for this game.

Nobody outside of B tier can really go solo and do well. Silly guy.

No way in hell does Peach have better tools than Fox lmao. Maybe if Peach could kill somebody before 180% and not be so durr hurr predictable while doing it than maybe.

Oh and her airdodge blows.

Oh and she's slow.

Not even close to Foxs' tools imo. Peach isn't close to Wolf either for that matter.

Better to talk about one character that is currently interesting in the metagame than about something stupid like Link.
LOLOLOOLOLOLOLOOL

NAKAT

Smash Champion

WRONG again LMAO. I believe Blackknight quoted M2K before lol he was right.

EDIT: Mars if you played Fox you'd understand why that mu is even. Never mind lolswf is too good to times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom