• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Walt

Smash Ace
nair against fox. first hit never connects.

help

i assume i gotta do it right after they jump, but their nair is out at that point. fox.
I don't know how to explain how to beat fox nair with the first hit beyond trying it more, see where it happens. Kick his foot maybe? I just can tell when I'm at the spacing that nair will destroy everything fox can do.

Walt

Smash Ace
It'll never absolutely dominate a good fox, the game doesn't work like that. But knowing when you're at the distance, at the exact second, where it will be good, is how smash works. Falcon's nair out ranging Fox's does not mean lolololololnaironlyfalconwins

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the point of nair is to dash dance and nair them after their nair is done, not to challenge fox's nair. against a good fox you have to be EXTREMELY well spaced to actually beat their nair.
IMO mix things up with retreating bair.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
... I dunno about that... if you've successfully avoided their nair with DD you should just grab them.

The spacing with nair to beat fox's nair isn't actually that hard, I think... the issue is more that
A). falcon's nair takes way longer to finish than fox's and
B). there's that gap in the middle where the hitboxes disappear.

By spacing I mean the literal execution of the spacing, as in, if you know fox is going to SH nair at you from a certain distance, can you position yourself to beat it with nair? I think that's not too difficult.

Something else that beats nair that I think can be worth mixing in are sh uairs, both of the ganon-style rising variety and the delayed variety.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
idk i just dd grab with Falcon I don't know how you guys approach otherwise

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
DD grab is pretty damn good. You just gotta mix in other stuff to keep the Fox player honest imo, otherwise he can take advantage of the fact that you're retreating all the time.

I suppose Marth-style preemptive grabs could work for this purpose too, but his grab range isn't as good as Marth's, it's riskier than an aerial if you miss, etc. etc.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Falcon sucks is the main problem, if he was good we wouldnt have to spend our whole lives figuring ot how to approach and still get our faces smashed.

:phone:

Niko45

Smash Master
Marth should always ban Dreamland or some crap like Brinstar if you are unprepared to deal with that.

FD is perfectly decent for Marth, I'll stage strike there if I think the CF is too good on battlefield.

Falcon does fine on YS but I'll still take him there cause he's banning FoD.

Most Falcons are completely awful tho so it rarely matters where you go.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I'm gonna start playing on Fountain in tourney. Gotta get over this mental block so I can ban gayer stages in gay matchups.

D

Deleted member

1st hit nair vs fox nair is at best a trade and this is usually bad

2nd hit though is too ****

my advice is to only try fountain vs marth

and turn it on friendlies

vs fox is impossible if they know the right strat on fountain

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
cc camping under plats when they're at a bad height for falcon > falcon

sheiks ****ing ******** on fod too

Mokumo

Smash Ace
what do you do when samus misses her upB? it seems too unreliable to just go for a knee or something when theyre falling down so i find it too risky. i think the usual best move is to just DD and wait for them to land

D

Deleted member

full jump knee moment after they whiff and you get a free *** knee, literally the same height

if you don't react in time, it depends if there are platformss or not

i usually stand still though and react but ideally don't punish with a grab

if theres a platform the average samus will try to trick you by falling through the platform

better samuses (like 3 in the world) edge cancel platforms

some will land on the platform and crouch cancel ur hit

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I stand there and short hop, if Samus lands on the platform then double uair, if Samus lands below the platform then knee.

Don't get too greedy with your up-B punishes, one slip up and they'll have you right where they want, which is chasing Samus and allowing her to bait you.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
im so tired of youtube, everyone is either a troll or a ****ing inbred.

tried to give a pat on the back to a falcon player in an AM bracket and his opponent acts like i shoved a bladed dildo up his ***.

then toph calls me out for no reason.

/facepalm.

D

Deleted member

tourney today

didnt record though

smash isn't nearly as fun when ur the best player in the room

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Bah, im on my phone so i cant, its one of the MAN uploads. Proskater vs ishia or something. Falcon played really well, but he just couldnt over come the fox MU, i basically said just that and the fox went berserk on me.

I even said "both of you are on your way to being very good players" in my original comment. People just cant accept criticism, even if a major compliment is throw in.

You arent good johnny, youre not fooling us.

:p

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
****, that kid needs to beat my secondaries before he gets a crack at the falcon.

Mr."i only try on my last stock, i was smashed oit for the day, the sun was in my eyes, my hands were still greasy from the pizza."

Lololololol. Huge johns.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
strongbad is wrong

if you nair in place and fox tries to run at you and sh nair, he cant beat it

this still isnt amazing or anything, because he can full jump nair, up smash your foot, and probably lots of other dumb stuff

but im pretty sure that unless youre moving towards him, he cant go through your foot when youre nairing

and yeah, if youre dash dancing, just dd grab or retreating stomp/bair, but you gotta mix in nairs when he starts planning the overshoot to make up for your dd and he runs into your only move with decent priority

0Room

Smash Lord
Guys if you wanna learn patience
play SSFIVAE

omgggggggggggg that game
requires so much patience
SO MUCH

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Aka any game with dhalism cause people who play him are big time A #1 ******s.

Long live Mike Ross.

Shoutouts to anyone else who was watching the rev or ceo streams this weekend. I missed most of it, but caught AE LF from CEO and the last 4 or 5 matches on rev.

Also on friday i saw some mediocre philipino kid win with phoenix in marvel teams.

j00t

Smash Champion
Aka any game with dhalism cause people who play him are big time A #1 ******s.

Long live Mike Ross.

Shoutouts to anyone else who was watching the rev or ceo streams this weekend. I missed most of it, but caught AE LF from CEO and the last 4 or 5 matches on rev.

Also on friday i saw some mediocre philipino kid win with phoenix in marvel teams.
wtf dude

Dhalism is awesome

Walt

Smash Ace
I can't play SF, that level of patience is just unacceptable. Guilty Gear though, stuff is exploding all over the place and when you take damage you should lose like 50% of your health. EXCITING!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
strongbad is wrong

if you nair in place and fox tries to run at you and sh nair, he cant beat it

this still isnt amazing or anything, because he can full jump nair, up smash your foot, and probably lots of other dumb stuff

but im pretty sure that unless youre moving towards him, he cant go through your foot when youre nairing

and yeah, if youre dash dancing, just dd grab or retreating stomp/bair, but you gotta mix in nairs when he starts planning the overshoot to make up for your dd and he runs into your only move with decent priority
Im gonna call it out and say this is true in the majority of cases but not always true. Tonight my nair went through ORLY's and i remember dropping my advantage because I didnt expect to hit. In hindsight I hit him with a late nair at an awkward time between his kicks (i think i would have normally traded/lost to the 2nd hit of nair due to timing, but the strong hitbox of the late nair caused me to win instead).

Top Bottom