• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Southern Ontario Power Rankings - 31/07/14 Update

Gichan

Smash Champion
I think it's the whole i1337 being 5th on PR because we apparently are amazed that he did such feats with DK. If that is the case, no, he's just a great player. He makes great reads, has tight spacing, great gimmicks, good mindgames coupled with it.

Same **** applies to Meek with his Sonic.

Yeah once people figure out the MUs it definitely will be harder for them, but it doesn't take away from the player.

And this is just an assumption, if it isn't the case, whatever, this post might clarify for others. We had this issue before with Ray Kalm and Ganon

-Googs

Smash Lord
i 2-0 the 3rd rank and 5th, but lose to 8th and 10th lol.

I feel if my attendance was a higher i could make top 5 and i aint even trolloling

swordgard

Smash Hero
i 2-0 the 3rd rank and 5th, but lose to 8th and 10th lol.

I feel if my attendance was a higher i could make top 5 and i aint even trolloling
According to GTA you can't be on that PR due to going back to mtl either way.

And according to our PR your GTA.

Troll PR status.

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
Why isn't googs pr again?

I'm a bit confused.

EDIT: read sg's post, get region *****.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
K, decided to post this here cause i figure this thread's more appropriate for the discussion.

ppl been sayin that we had droughts that lasted over a year o.O

I can only speak for when I entered the Scene, but here's every SWF tourney that happened in the GTHA since June 2009.

Pownz Gaming Centre

These ppl hosted monthlies until Iliad's tourney Havok in the Hammer (They didn't host in August out of respect for Iliad)

They then hosted for Brawl again in December, which was the last time they ever hosted for Brawl).

Even though I wasn't there that early, seems like they've been holdin it down every month since November 08 till July 09. Then they decided to not include Brawl I think until December (I could be wrong about their intentions tho).

August 09 was Havok in the hammer.

September had nothing iirc (not sure what the situation on TO's was, wasn't that involved back then :ohwell:)

October had 2 tourneys iirc. Dimmy's MK ban, and one of Gichan's. Either School > Brawl or Too poor for Genesis.

November had nothing (again, not sure why)

December had pwnz

January 2010 Gi hosted No Waahs

February was Let's Brawl Toronto 2 (and it wasn't even in T.dot, York region baby ;))

March had nothing

April was No Waahs 2: Return of the troll

At this point, I'm pretty sure that Gi couldn't get a solid venue, but also at the time I think he started to play Street fighter and entered the "eff Brawl" state that many OG's did :(

I hosted the Brewin up Some Brawl Series (and finding a venue is really tough, had to get the hook up from my friends rents lol).

I hosted twice in may (May 1st and May 22nd)

In June 12th, Iliad hosted All out War: 1st strike (was supposed to be the 1st of Biannual Brawl tourneys at Pownz I think. some sorta resurrection of Pownz, but then I think tha'ts when the business went under :(, hence why we don't see this series anymore.

I also hosted again June 26th for the last time at the coffee time venue (friends rents sold the place, wasn't makin bank, tourneys made more bank than the business alone lol).

July 9th, Dimmy hosted a sauga tourney that got 9 ppl in singles. N** got mad and decided not to host again.

August had Fan expo, but we all know how that was lol.

I remember me trying to strap together a 10 man tourney in 1 week, but lost my ride so I couldn't pull it off lmao (no ride, no setups).

I lost my venue (or else I woulda hosted more) but also, some personal issues really got to me and I was close to quitting. Iliad couldn't host cause of no venue (I think). Gi was still in the "eff Brawl" state, and Dimmy Rage quit :ohwell:.

July 9th - November 6th was tourneyless. The only major drought I know of.

Gi missed the scene (but not the game, but that changed too :bee:), and decided to host at TFNS in November.

I hopped on board, we made GTA Smash Co, and ran tourneys at TFNS. TFNS stopped hosting tourneys, but luckily Gi's workplace was available for a couple months. But apparently you gotta book that shii a year in advance, so every other date had sometin goin on.

That's why there were no tourneys from March 26th - June 11th.

I went to A&C in may and talked to them, and we figured we can help each other out. And here we are now.

So basically, as far as I know, it had more to do with lack of Venue than lack of TO's, or relying on 1 TO.

Gichan

Smash Champion
There's many reasons for the "drought". Yeah, lack of venues, but really it was mostly the scene and how inconsistent it was. No PR to really play for meant no motivation, lots of people dropped out at the same time, low tourney attendance, and a lot, A LOT of brawl bashing that spread too fast. This constant brawl bashing in the forums will obviously turn a way a lot of newcomers and it will get to people who play it regularly eventually. Also, the tournies were also inconsistent as ****. One month there's like 3 tournies and the next nothing.

I would also like to bring up one subtlety...no smashfests. I mean none except for the ****ty York ones that were actually good rarely. Having no place aside from tournies meant no consistent playing outside of a paid environment. Long ago when the game first came out we had Rae's smashfests that led to the pinnacle of Brawl for GTA since they actually played to learn, and the best always kept going. We are finally starting to have that consistency for brawl nowadays largely due to A&C Games being awesome and having two casuals a week for brawl. I have mine to, but they are nowhere near as consistent, but at least allow a place for people here and there.

Point being: Having many tournies is not the only thing that dictates an active scene, this has to be noted because it is a wrong approach to a scene. They help sooo damn much but smashfests, casuals, those are really damn important because that's what gets people always playing and motivated rather than having ONE tourney to go to, get *****, go home and pray wifi will help again only to show up to get ***** AGAIN at the next tourney...leading to "why am I not gettign better?" "**** this, I quit". I've seen many people who come to my place who would have ended up in the same situation but they are all improving drastically, and will keep improving, since we now have an active scene where there are places to play.

I quit because I was blaming the game for me being so free, I had to just learn that it's just me who's bad at this game, and probably always will be. Still....playing SF made me realize that brawl still isn't one of the best competitive games, but SG has made me love this game again for showing me how you actually play the game.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Personally I think everyone has blamed the game, their character, etc. for them being free at some point in time.

Patches

Smash Master
I dunno. I love this game. Have since it came out. Even though I really don't have a reason to love it.

I love the people I've met more than tge game itself. That's probably why I keep coming to tournaments.

As for my character. GaW is just lulzy. He makes a **** ton a ****ing noises. He pisses people off. He's jokes. I <3 him.

:phone:

Patches

Smash Master
I've tried olimar. He's fun if you're agreesive, not so much if you're campy. I think I'd play a lot like Logic, rather than playing like you do.

But srs. Does olimar have a Fire Stick? **** naw, bro.

:phone:

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
Regarding the sexiness was it on the PR? Clearly I should have some placing on it~ <3

Umm, for the competitive aspect.. brawl has become one sided on the higher to top tiered characters which is a shame. Though SF was also shown to be tier abused for a while... thankfully they fixed that in SSF4 (SF4 Sagat Issue) only to screw it up with AE lol. Though brawl does lack some competitive aspects which people have said before.

I can't say much regarding the earlier scene... but from what i'm seeing from brawl itself and from what i've seen in the recent scene... I understand why newer players are discouraged. Our scene is hardly 'balanced' not in terms of characters, but players skills. There appears to be a big gap between our highly skilled players and our not so skilled. So it's understandable if people stop showing and we get a small scene again... or maybe if the scene dies again. Though that's not to say it's the only reason, there are probably lots more... but that's what I see may be the biggest issue.

Patches

Smash Master
*****, he dont need no top.

He got a credit card and bacon strips
and bacon strips
and bacon strips
and bacon strips
and bacon strips

fUddO

Smash Ace
Regarding the sexiness was it on the PR? Clearly I should have some placing on it~ <3

Umm, for the competitive aspect.. brawl has become one sided on the higher to top tiered characters which is a shame. Though SF was also shown to be tier abused for a while... thankfully they fixed that in SSF4 (SF4 Sagat Issue) only to screw it up with AE lol. Though brawl does lack some competitive aspects which people have said before.

I can't say much regarding the earlier scene... but from what i'm seeing from brawl itself and from what i've seen in the recent scene... I understand why newer players are discouraged. Our scene is hardly 'balanced' not in terms of characters, but players skills. There appears to be a big gap between our highly skilled players and our not so skilled. So it's understandable if people stop showing and we get a small scene again... or maybe if the scene dies again. Though that's not to say it's the only reason, there are probably lots more... but that's what I see may be the biggest issue.
I have to disagree with this. We have a lot of people at a variety of levels. I could probably put everyone in 5 categories pretty easily.

leafshadow

Smash Apprentice
Well ROB doesn't need bacon strips or a credit card cause ROB doesn't need to eat OK. XD And that Mother ****** Robot can fly! Can G&W fly?!?!?!?!? nope! XD So yeah you ain't got no cakemix :troll:

Patches

Smash Master
Well ROB doesn't need bacon strips or a credit card cause ROB doesn't need to eat OK. XD And that Mother ****** Robot can fly! Can G&W fly?!?!?!?!? nope! XD So yeah you ain't got no cakemix :troll:
Game and watch don't need to fly mother ****er. He's got dat parachute. His *** gets saved. What's that? ROB gets gimped?

o rite.

:troll:

Top Bottom