• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2.B.A. MASTER: The New PT Video Thread

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Cool matches. :)

By the way, I saw you on the stream against another G&W, you won 2-1, losing on PS2 (very exciting ending with Ivy).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yeah that was a pools set against the same player. I don't know anything about that level, and I decided that I didn't want to wait for eight minutes in order to win, which got me killed. Don't do that; make him come to you, and you'll win every time.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Rizen right off the bat in your match vs Link it just seemed as if your completely unsure what to do with Ivy. I think you need to hit up some of the key forums in here and see some of the general patterns that Ivy's take.

I just found so much of the time you were just standing there only to throw out one attack and go back to standing. So before I critique these my major statement would be this, try and watch as many vids of Reflex, T-block, Aposl, Mata, Steeler, Miles, Typh, or myself.

There is just simply to much to go over in the time I have. I'm sorry if I seem like I'm being a **** but I want to give you the straight forward answers and I am almost always limited on time with my job. If you want to chat or talk about any of this I can gladly supply my skype or FB just let me know man. And again I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a **** I just dunno really what else to say.

FB: Brian Schmeling or Freeskippy25@yahoo.com

I almost always available to chat if I am at the PC.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^It's cool. I expected a LOT of comments on mistakes I made, lol. That's what critiques are for; actually people who whine about negative but constructive critiques get on my nerves.

I don't have Skype or FB. :/

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
Rizen right off the bat in your match vs Link it just seemed as if your completely unsure what to do with Ivy. I think you need to hit up some of the key forums in here and see some of the general patterns that Ivy's take.

I just found so much of the time you were just standing there only to throw out one attack and go back to standing. So before I critique these my major statement would be this, try and watch as many vids of Reflex, T-block, Aposl, Mata, Steeler, Miles, Typh, or myself.

There is just simply to much to go over in the time I have. I'm sorry if I seem like I'm being a **** but I want to give you the straight forward answers and I am almost always limited on time with my job. If you want to chat or talk about any of this I can gladly supply my skype or FB just let me know man. And again I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a **** I just dunno really what else to say.

FB: Brian Schmeling or Freeskippy25@yahoo.com

I almost always available to chat if I am at the PC.

Im tempted to add your skype [in hopes of findign a teacher of some sort, if you are willing

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Feel free to add my Skype or FB guys and just shoot me a message as to when you'll be free.

Hopefully we can schedule in some time for some tutoring!!!!! WHO WANTS TO LEARN FIRE PUNCH!

see what I did there? :D

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
Feel free to add my Skype or FB guys and just shoot me a message as to when you'll be free.

Hopefully we can schedule in some time for some tutoring!!!!! WHO WANTS TO LEARN FIRE PUNCH!

see what I did there? :D
Id give karma for that reference but Im out of Red Shards (I can do that as well)

sends request*

T-block

B2B TST
hahaha

you're DI'ing inefficiently

either quarter circle down-right to up-right on the analog while tapping right on the c-stick repeatedly

or tap down-right on the analog stick and up-right on the c-stick repeatedly

to get the best results. i prefer the first for SDI'ing single hit moves... you're really only going to get one c-stick input in, so it should be a c-stick right.

rolling a c-stick only gives you one input because the nature of the way c-stick inputs are registered is that it has to be returned to neutral before any directions count

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Yeah, I just kinda mash the controller. I know the way I'm supposed to because of the Metagame Minute, but I still just kinda mash it anyway and it works.

I'll work doing it the right way though, I'm sick of dying like that, haha.

T-block

B2B TST
i half facepalm half smile uncontrollably whenever i see grab release > f-smash connect ._.

i feel like you throw out random smash attacks too much, mata. it pays off big once in a while, but it seems like all in all it hurts more than it helps.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
yeah, i need to calm down with that stuff. I normally grab release Fsmash near the edge. Sometimes in the middle if i'm feelin risky ;)

I definitely have to stop rolling towards when I'm on the ground after an attack. Also need to utilize the edge more when recovering.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Mata, I see a big problem in your playstyle. I had that problem until very recently. When you're trying to land on the stage, you're litterally attracted by the opponent. You get punished many times. Try landing far away from your opponent if possible, at least in a place where you can't be punished hard.

That being said, another problem : when you're landing as Charizard, you RockSmash too much! Landing a bit further and using a Flamethrower is more safe imo. It covers shield, spotdodge, roll towards you, and some attacks. Besides, by using RS too much, you're reducing its power by a large amount. It won't kill anymore, and the % it deals won't be that high. Also, I'm not sure but I think it diminishes its priority.

The Nair spikes with Ivysaur were awesome, and it's really useful against ROB, I've done that many times. :p

About the Ground Release + FSmash thing, at 3:35 on the first match, the Falco spotdodges, and still avoid the FSmash. I think this is due to Mata not buffering the FSmash. But it made me realize that if the opponent doesn't buffer his spotdodge, we're ****ed. :(

So, what do we have on the GR + FSmash thing :
After a GR, Charizard can act on Frame 29, the opponent can act on frame 30 (exceptions : Ness, Lucas, DK).
FSmash comes out on Frame 22, and if we account for the GR frames, after a Ground Release, it hits on frame 51-53 & 55-59.
If the opponent buffers a spotdodge, the character can neither be invincible on frames 51-59 nor be invincible on frames 51-53 and act on frame 55. And even the fastest spotdodge (i.e Falco/Pika/Yoshi/Link/Toon Link) ends on frame 22 (so the opponent can't shield the first hit of FSmash), which means this is guaranteed on any characters besides Ness, Lucas and DK if they buffer a spotdodge.
Also, FSmash has invincibility frames on frames 5-9 after releasing (source : http://opensa.dantarion.com/autoframe/FitPokeLizardon.php ), but I don't during which frames you're invincible out of the total duration of the move. I need to test that :p

My question is : Is it possible to react to a player not buffering a spotdodge and thus charging the FSmash?
I'm not talking about a player doing a spotdodge on frames like 31-40 (we want them to do it on frame 30), because it's impossible I think, and Rock Smash can take care of that.

By the way, RS is another nice GR option, it beats spotdodges (except Falco/Pika/Yoshi/Link/Toon Link/Ness/Lucas/DK since it comes out on frame 24) with the headbutt, and late spotdodges with the Rock Shards. It can also act as a counter.
@Rizen : This is due to a bad DI on the first hit of USmash.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
Thanks for the critique Myo, i"ll work on the recovery process+FT :)

Star

- I would never start off Ivy! Especially against a good MK. I think skill wise you 2 are pretty even. I think you need to be a little more defensive against MK. Try not to run after him so much, just wait for him to come to use and predict his moves/space him.

I think you shouldn't of swtiched out 2nd match after killing him the first time. Should of spaced and racked up more damage with Charizard. Probably could of survived longer. In the middle of the match you switched from Char to Squirtle, i would of racked up more damage then switched.

Just watch the spikes, I think you need to time them better. I think you got to ancy then 2nd match and "wanted" the kill too bad.

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
Thanks for the critique Myo, i"ll work on the recovery process+FT :)

Star

- I would never start off Ivy! Especially against a good MK. I think skill wise you 2 are pretty even. I think you need to be a little more defensive against MK. Try not to run after him so much, just wait for him to come to use and predict his moves/space him.

I do realize thats one of the big no nos of playing against a MK it was moreso of testing how the S2H would behave because we played alot of matches against eachother so I figured I'd try Ivy for studying purposes it worked for a few matches but after that not so much so I went back to Zard as the starter of choice

I think you shouldn't of swtiched out 2nd match after killing him the first time. Should of spaced and racked up more damage with Charizard. Probably could of survived longer. In the middle of the match you switched from Char to Squirtle, i would of racked up more damage then switched.

Whens the best time to switch I was told if I was 80% or below I should stay, anything higher and I should switch out

Just watch the spikes, I think you need to time them better. I think you got to ancy then 2nd match and "wanted" the kill too bad.

You are indeed correct sir I can usually get a spike off with a well timed Zard Dair and yeah I really wanted a spike that terribly badly :/
Comments posted above

Myollnir

Smash Ace
You started brawl recently, right?

Don't roll so much (very important),
Don't FSmash with Squirtle,
Don't DSmash with Ivy,
Don't stale your D-throw with Squirtle, save it for the kill.

There are too many mistakes, the only advice I can give to you is to play again and again to improve. But yeah, stop rolling...

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
Yeah there is a quite a lot wrong, but its not bad if you're trying to learn.

I think you need to practice more moves, it seemed you only knew a few attacks and were trying to use/kill with them. Just play around trying to use every move and you'll learn what will learn best in that situation. Like Myo said, don't roll so much, dont Fsmash so much. Just use more moves right now.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
You started brawl recently, right?

Don't roll so much (very important),
Don't FSmash with Squirtle,
Don't DSmash with Ivy,
Don't stale your D-throw with Squirtle, save it for the kill.

There are too many mistakes, the only advice I can give to you is to play again and again to improve. But yeah, stop rolling...
Well I've been playing for a couple years... but Pokemon Trainer is a relatively new character for me. Good point about not staling the down throw, I should have thought about that.

What's wrong with squirtle's F-smash? What would the alternative be?

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
Nothings wrong with it, you just use it at wrong times or over use it. Its easy to see coming if you're standing there and there is a good amount of recovery time after that. So you're extremely vulnerable if you miss. You should definitely try using ftilts more and jabs. Fairs are great for killing. Try to use more quick moves.

Fsmash isn't bad near the edge if someone is trying to recover because you have invincibility frames on it. Just be smart when using it because you dont want to go punished.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Wow! Great Pokemon trainer indeed. I definitely learned somethings, especially watching your charizard. To be fair that Falco did some really stupid things a number of times... I hate chain grabs so much...

I love how well you use all the pokemon.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Did you record some later games where my tag is '...'? I played better in those.
Your 2nd upload is missing a link.

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
^Did you record some later games where my tag is '...'? I played better in those.
Your 2nd upload is missing a link.
Oh lookie there i forgot one but I wanted to upload ones that had your Rzen tag on it unless you were trying to impersonate red

lemme fix that link

aaaaand done

Myollnir

Smash Ace
SG, it seems that you've made huge progress since January (I think it was January?).

I want to play against you :p

Rizen, I've not watched your playstyle yet, I focused on SG.
I haven't got much time right now :/

Top Bottom