• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters getting the axe

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Alot of people want characters out, and other people want characters changed. Sakurai said that not all characters would return. Who would you want to get rid of and witch characters would you change?

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
Pichu, Doc, and Roy should get axed. For one, they're too similar to their counterparts. Pichu and Doc are just different versions of Pikachu and Mario and there are better Fire Emblem characters than Roy that should get in.

And as much as I like Ganondorf and Falco the way they are now, I think they should each get the Luigi treatment. Y. Link's specials should be different, and maybe some of his A moves.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
Ditch Pichu, Dr. Mario, Mr. G&W, and Roy and we can all rest easy. Give Ganondorf and Young Link some unique movesets and Luigify Falco.

And here's some changes to the following:

Mewtwo- more weight. And a bit more power.
Jigglypuff- speed and weight. Increase both by just a tiny bit.
Marth- sweetspot needs to be bigger.
Ness- Gee, no need to nerf him to oblivion. Make him the way he was in SSB.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
easy, all the clones that are the same character (doc, pichu, young link) plus game and watch. i would like jiggy and ness to go but they are the originals and they do have a few good moves. but maybe young link could be ww link

i would like to see the other 3 clones get a new moveset, as they are not the exact same character.

AjtheBaka

Smash Rookie
50 paces north, 1000 paces west... I mean EAST! Oo
To be honest I didn't like Mr. Game and Watch (I don't like joke characters)... clones need to be messed around with a bit or removed (Fox and Falco are too alike), Dr. Mario should probably just be an alternate costume for Mario (Like Peach's Daisy costume). Young Link needs to be replaced with Wind Waker Link (He's so chibi ^__^) and get a different move set.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Glad to see people are open minded about this. I would get rid of Dr. Mario and make him an unlockable alternate costume with all his effects in tact. Pichu is a joke, don't even bother with an alternate costume. Young Link was way to similar, so get rid of him. Change Ganondorf a little, maybe give him a sword (I'm on a neutral side between giving him a sword and not giving him a sword), but definitely give Zelda her rapier while keeping her moves in tact (the rapier will just increase her Smash Attack power). I always thought Mr. Game and Watch was funny to play with but I wouldn't die if he was let go. Give Falco his own moveset. And finally, increase Bowser's speed and Mewtwo's power/weight.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom

Smash Apprentice
here is wat needs to happen...
Dr. mario and mario switch stats and make dr.mario a alt costume
take away y. loink and switch him with vaati
ganondorf needs the sword
replace roy with isaac or ike
replace pichu with deoxys
luigify falco
upgrade mewtwo
upgrade ness
well thats who all needsthe axe.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
Dr mario, young link, and pichu are the main 3. As 4 Roy, with all the new fire emblem possibilities, I think it be better if he left 2( Marth might leave 2 if there r to many new fire emblem charctors added, it's just that he was so popular in melee) . I'm all 4 Dr. mario being an alternate costume, that's the way it should have been. Ganon and Mew2 badly need 2 be improved aswell. Mr. GAW should stay ( just 1 joke charactor)

tirkaro

Smash Champion
NITRO & DEVSYS

BIO-

Meet Nitro and Devsys! Nitro is that cool-headed looking android on the left, while Devsys is that cute-but-feisty gynoid on the right. Both were lovingly crafted by MKIII in his spare time, and they act as simple house maids while MKIII is off doing his work.....some of the time. Most of the time though, he's performing loads of inhumane experiments on them, and sometimes forces them to take care of missions he doesn't want to get around to doing. Yeah, MKIII is kind of a deadbeat dad if you couldn't tell.

Nitro is MKIII's more favored child, and as a result acts pretty spoiled. She likes making Devsys do most of the work as she operates comfortably behind her. She's definitely has the bigger brains of the two, being much more crafty and sharp than any robot of her type. Rumor has it that she could possibly equal or surpass her father in intellect. Other than that, she enjoys studying the lifestyle of bugs, walking along junkyards, and watching films by Peter Stebbings.

Devsys is MKIII's somewhat more defective experiment. What she lacks in her sister's brains, she makes up for in pure kindness. She's always eager to help out anyone, and tries to see the good in just about everything. Of course, MKIII tends to hate Devsys' guts for this very reason, as she tends to hold back on efficiency for the sake of others. In return, Devsys really only tolerates her sister and father. On occasion, she'll malfunction and start going out of control, usually in a way that sabotages the mission at hand. Although one must wonder how much of these events are because of an actual malfunction, or if they're out of complete free will.
Besides that, Devsys mostly likes to work around the house. She enjoys eating Panta Ilish and listening to Run DMC albums in her free time.

STATS-
/Size- 4/10
/Weight- 3/10
/Movement- 8/10
/Jump- 8/10
/Traction- 6/10
/Power- 4/10
/Priority- 6/10
/Range- 7/10
/Attack Speed- 8/10

Important thing to note here is that you only directly control Devsys. Nitro is sort of like a "Nana", who mostly follows you around as assists you for some attacks. However, she's much, much harder to hit than Nana, as Nitro deliberately tries to avoid being in the general direction of the opponent. It's not impossible to hit her, but she's pretty fast.
Both of the sisters actually use a Stamina counter, no matter which mode you're playing in. Both of them have 100% stamina,(though only Devsys' counter appears on screen) and likewise, just destroying one of them will mean both of them are done for. And to make matters worse, if your opponent is somehow skilled enough to take out Nitro, Devsys will actually start to defect and fight on the opponent's side! (Though they can still damage her.) But once again I must stress that hurting Nitro is not easy at all, and you should be able to properly protect her further by being on your toes.

MOVESET-

NEUTRAL SPECIAL- /2 GB BEAM
In a move that's a total ripoff much akin to Samus' charge shot, Devsys charges up an energy ball in the palm of her hands. The energy ball shoots forward in a straight direction, and goes much more unusually slow than other projectiles like it. (It's speed is comparable to Fox's walk.) The size it can grow to is comparable to Samus', and it deals 6~14% damage depending on how long you charge it for. The knockback is significantly less than Samus's though.

SIDE SPECIAL- /BECOME A PART OF MEEEE
This time, Nitro outright throws Devsys a full battlefield platform ahead. If she misses, she'll fall on her face and get back up with a good deal of ending lag. But if she hits the opponent, Devsys will start glowing green and, well, "absorb" herself into the opponent! Nitro will then say "Bravo! Oh bravo!" and sit back to watch the fireworks.
When Devsys is inside of someone, the victim can no longer attack. The player controlling Devsys is then prompted to mash random buttons to cause various negative effects onto the character. These effects range from things like short bursts of automatic damage, flower effects, poison, burning, the whole shadoola. But on the other side, the victim should do all they can to force Devsys out of their system! They can do this by mashing buttons, making their character spaz out like crazy, until the violator is shoved out. Because if they don't try and mash their way out, she could potentially stay inside of them forever. And for god's sake, get your dirty mind out of the gutter. :glare:

UP SPECIAL- /RULE THE AIR
Devsys instantly teleports her way back on stage. Yes, no matter how far you are from the stage, as long as you're not in a helpless state, you'll automatically get teleported back on solid ground. Nitro does this as well when she's in the same position.
Not that this is any different from Brawl anyway LOL

DOWN SPECIAL- /SHINY SCREEN EFFECT
Nitro sets up an "Aegis reflector" directly in front of her, wherever she is. For those that don't know, this is a thin, character-tall floating screen that deflects any enemy projectile back in the other direction, giving the opponent a taste of their own proverbial medicine. However, unlike the Aegis Reflector from SFIII, the shield can be easy walked through by anyone, and doesn't effect physical attacks. It lasts for about 4 seconds before disintegrating.

NEUTRAL COMBO- /UNGRACEFUL TAPPING
Devsys does a series of rapid-fire mach punches a short distance in front of her. She can do this a long as she wants, and each of the rapid punches does a rather meek 1% damage.

DASH ATTACK- /NOW BOOTING
Nitro meanly kicks Devsys' behind, making her fly 1.3 battlefield platforms in distance! The magnificent flying Devsys does 6% damage and medium knockback to whoever gets in her way. She then has a small bit of ending lag when getting back up. Note that if Nitro is out of position when this attack happens, she'll just kick whatever is in front of her, which does 3% damage. Potentially, she could even kick Devsys in the other direction!

FORWARD TILT- /PING SLICE
Devsys briskly does a short ranged, vertical "slash" motion with her fingers, leaving a trail of energy. This slice does 6% damage with low knockback, and has pretty good priority for an attack of it's type.

UP TILT- /EJECT
Nitro throws Devsys up a decent distance in the air with her more metallic arm, where Devvy does a quick aerial roll before doing a small Shoryuken! The "roll" part of the attack does 2% damage, which automatically sets the victim up for the shoryuken, doing 8% damage and mediocre knockback.
Like before, if Nitro is out of position with her sister, she just throws up whatever is closest to her. If that whatever happens to be the opponent, they'll take 4% damage and be put in a helpless state.

DOWN TILT- /REJECT
Devsys turns toward the screen and pounds the ground with her first, having slight startup time. This ground-pound has decent range around her, does 5% damage, and launches the opponent a small distance up in the air. A great combo starter, if I do say so myself!

FORWARD SMASH- /POP OUT
Devsys holds her hand inwards before stepping forward and unleashing a blast of energy with the palm of her hand! This blast takes on the form of a short-ranged explosion of energy, which deals only 4~6% damage. However, the knockback and priority is great, especially for a move with such little damage power.

UP SMASH- /TOPPO WO NARAE!
Devsys briefly clasps her hands before unleashing a giant ball of energy directly above her! This energy ball proceeds to float there and slowly move up for .7~2.5 seconds, and does 2%~5% per hit, with little knockback. However, getting caught in the direct formation of the ball deals 12% damage with decent upwards knockback.

DOWN SMASH- /HEARTLESS FORCE
Nitro puts on a sinister grin and presses a button located on the wrist of her metallic arm. Instantly afterwards, a SBB-sized force of energy forms around Devsys as she screams in pain, and shortly disappears thereafter. Contact with this force field does 10~14% damage, and good horizontal knockback. Be aware that the moment where Nitro pushes the button has a pretty good delay of time, though Devsys is able to move freely throughout.

AERIAL- /1.65 VOLT TEKKER
Yes, this is the only Aerial the girls have. Hey, good thing this isn't an actual moveset, right?
Devsys curls up into a a Vol-tekker like ball and shoots forward in a straight direction. Where this direction is obviously depends on what direction you put the control stick in. Devsys stays in this ball format for 1.5 seconds, and contact with a solid object will make it bounce in the opposite direction. Making impact with this ball dishes out 8% damage and good knockback. The ball itself is very quick, and with very little starting lag (but noticable ending lag) this move very, very easily spammed. Possibly one of Devsys' most exploitable moves, especially in tight corridors.
Also, you can't cancel out of this, meaning you could possibly send yourself flying off the screen.

GRAB- /IT'S A GRAB, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT
Devsys shoots out a battlefield platform-long electric rope from her wrists. And hey, guess what? It grabs the opponent. Also good for tether recoveries!
PUMMEL- /IT'S A PUMMEL, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT
HOLY CRAP SHE HITS THE OPPONENT FOR 1% DAMAGE :070:
THROW- /IT'S A THROW, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT
One can tell how much one is enthusiastic about grab attacks by seeing if all of the moves can basically be summarized as "The guy throws the opponent in X direction doing 7% damage and mediocre knockback." So that's just what I'll do.

FINAL SMASH
LOL, IT'S JUST ROBO-LINK MKIII'S.

PLAYSTYLE-
Sooo, this should be simple enough! Devsys is a typical fragile speedser, easily able to get in the action and back out. However, her attacks pretty weak, and she's very easily killed. It's to be expected of something meant to be not much more than an extension of a much bigger moveset.
Attack wise, it's probably very tempting to spam her Aerial over and over again. This is one way of doing things, but perhaps not the brightest: the move itself has pretty damaging ending lag, and other than the initial direction of the ball, the pattern it takes is quite easily predicted.
As your main purpose here is just to make the foe's life a mess for as long as possible while MKIII chills out in the back, the true goal here to to simply survive as long as possible. And Devsys' pretty mean range on her attacks will make your job ever so easier, so be sure to at least punish your opposing man with sneaky moves like the Up Smash and her somewhat confusingly slow Neutral B projectile. Otherwise, there's not much to her.
And I probably shouldn't have to say this, but for god's sake, at least try to protect Nitro. While she's fast, a truly determined individual can easily juggle her around, and bam, no more Nitro. And once she's gone, a defected Devsys can definitely f**k your s**t up. She's set to the highest difficulty level automatically, and in conjunction with the opponent, she can be a real nightmare.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Get rid of Shiek cuz I hate her guts.
Give Zelda, Mewtwo, and Bowser movesets that don't suck.
Keep Pichu to spite the Pichu haters.
Give Ganondorf his sword from his victory pose and an original moveset.
"Luigify" Young Link.
Keep Doctor Mario in, he's the only clone that's better than the original.

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
teh_spamerer said:
They could always just improve Mario.

And what's with all the hating on Game and Watch? He's a unique character that pays homage to Nintendo's roots. No reason to get rid of him.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
teh_spamerer said:
Get rid of Shiek cuz I hate her guts.
Give Zelda, Mewtwo, and Bowser movesets that don't suck.
Keep Pichu to spite the Pichu haters.
Give Ganondorf his sword from his victory pose and an original moveset.
"Luigify" Young Link.
your username suits you perfectly

Remove: Pichu (he has very very few fans), Dr Mario (Too Similar to Mario), Roy (WAY too similar to Marth

Replace Young Link with WW link but keep the name young link and give him WW moves.

Luigify Falco, Give Ganondorf a sword, give Ness his former glory and yeah.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
teh_spamerer said:
just make the doctor an alternate costume, and give dr. mario's stats to mario ( it just dosn't make sence to me that wearing a doctor's clothing makes someone stronger)

icymatt

Smash Lord
I somewhat have a hard time deciding who should get cut, especially since I don't know who go in their place.

The only ones I could part without regret are Young Link, Dr.Mario, Pichu, and Roy.(I'd much rather Young Link be updated to his modern WW appearance and given some unique moves).

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
AjtheBaka said:
To be honest I didn't like Mr. Game and Watch (I don't like joke characters.
Well, Brawl isn't a game just made for you know isn't it? If it was, then the game would turn out to be garbage.

The people I see getting the boot are Doctor Mario, Pichu, Roy, and yes, Young Link. We do not need these counterparts, nor do we need anyone similar to replace them with (Paper Mario, Plusle/Minun, another Roy character, and Wind Waker Link. We have one of each of their coutnerparts, therefore, do not need another.

Why do people constantly bash on Mr. Game and Watch? I am not a G&W player, but he is more unique than most other characters in Melee, in which more than half the cast are duplicates or edits of each other. You could ACTUALLY pair characters up with their duplicates, not counting a few, like Bowser, Yoshi, Ice Climbers, and G&W himself, though Yoshi and Bowser could be paired up like the rest as well, leaving G&W with only a handful of loners, thus, making him one of a kind.

Before they even begin to take out G&W, they must first axe the above characters (Pichu, Young Link, Roy, Doctor Mario- In that order).

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Puffball64 said:
Before they even begin to take out G&W, they must first axe the above characters (Pichu, Young Link, Roy, Doctor Mario- In that order).
more like Pichu, Dr Mario, Roy and Young Link in that order. Young Link was actually different to Link wheras the others are too similar

NukeA6

Smash Master
Characters that will be gone

Pichu
Reason: No one likes him and he's just a baby Pikachu so he's pretty much a clone. Besides there are 250 other Pokemon that much better than some electric rat.

Dr. Mario
Reason: He's Mario and we already have a Mario Clone (Luigi, though he is more original than all the clones). If we change Doc's moveset, he won't be Mario anymore and it won't make sense.

Roy
Reason: He's not popular, people want other Fire Emblem characters, and he's too similar to Marth. Roy was only in Melee due to FE 6 Promotion.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Amen, Brother!!! I'd like to see Marth gone to, because we don't even know his backstory. Don't give Falco the ax, just give him new moves and it'll be fine. Jigglypuff should be gone too. All it does is get blown around the stage. I would sleep well at night if I knew the Ice Climbers would be axed.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Ya, if you want to spend hundreds of millenia trying to get good with her.

OK, OK, seriously, I forgot there were Jigglypuff fans here. You know, JHigglypuff wasn't even supposed to be in the first Smash Bros. Pit was, but at the time he was unfamiliar to American audiences so they cut him out. That's why Jigglypuff has that strange jumping ability.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom

Smash Apprentice
Pit 42 said:

OK, OK, seriously, I forgot there were Jigglypuff fans here. You know, JHigglypuff wasn't even supposed to be in the first Smash Bros. Pit was, but at the time he was unfamiliar to American audiences so they cut him out. That's why Jigglypuff has that strange jumping ability.
dude some people r VERY good with jigglypuff. it would be stupid to take her out. just b.c. ur not good with her doesnt mean she should be out

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Ya, but if you look at it basically if they took her out those people could get good with Kirby instead. Besides, I'm sure other players will get cut and people will flip out about it just as much.

Zink

Smash Champion
The problem with removing characters is that ALL of them, yes even Pichu, have devoted fans who would hate to see them go. And changing movesets, like if you gave Falco a totally new moveset, would basically make them new characters with the same model. I'm just going to wait and see. I don't want to pass judgment on this yet.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Yes, I suppose you're right. Even the dumbest of people have devoted fans. Just look at Pichu. Or, if we're talking about real life, Bob Ross.

7ak

Smash Journeyman
Why does everyone hate Doc, G&W, and Falco so much? I agree Pichu is horrible, but Doc is a pretty powerful character and his pill projectile is really unique. G&W is not a "joke" character, he has some really nasty aerials and can beat high tier characters. Also what the *** does "Luigify" mean and why would you want to disadvantage Falco? Fox already has certain advantages over Falco, so why make Falco slower/less traction (if thats what Luigify means)?

The DMK Taku

Smash Rookie
Meh to WW Link. In terms of new attacks, the only thing I can think of is just using certain items that were only in WW, or other weapons in Link's arsenal previously unused. How about a Young Link with Majora's Mask inspired attacks? Forward+B is Goron Roll, Down+B or Neutral+B is Zora Boomerang, Up+B is the Deku flying thingy, and Neutral+B is um...Fierce Diety slash really hard? Don't really remember much about Fierce Diety's attacks. I unno there was plenty of masks they could be pretty creative.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
7ak said:
Why does everyone hate Doc, G&W, and Falco so much? I agree Pichu is horrible, but Doc is a pretty powerful character and his pill projectile is really unique. G&W is not a "joke" character, he has some really nasty aerials and can beat high tier characters. Also what the *** does "Luigify" mean and why would you want to disadvantage Falco? Fox already has certain advantages over Falco, so why make Falco slower/less traction (if thats what Luigify means)?
Dont worry my friend. "Luigifying" simply means changing a few moves. If you look at mario and luigi, you can see that they changed a few of Luigi's moves so he wasnt a complete clone like he was in the first SSB. So a "Luigified" Falco would mean a more unique Falco. A better Falco :)

FR0ST

Smash Cadet
Remove Roy. He sucks even in his own game (Fire Emblem 6). Replace him with Ike and add in Hector and Lyn. :)
Make Mewtwo heavier.
Make Dr. Mario a costume.
Give Falco and G-Dorf their own moves.
Axe Pichu and G&W. But I do want a new joke character to replace G&W. Maybe Stanley or whatever that guy from the DK game with the bugspray name was.
Fix Ness. I don't use him but it's just not fair.

Dark_Ness

Smash Journeyman
From the looks of things, Pichu and Doc will get the ax for sure. Roy and Mr. Game & Watch may have a chance of returning, but that's just how I see it. I, for one, would keep G&W- he was a very unique addition to the Smash Bros. series, NOT A JOKE CHARACTER.

I'm gonna laugh my anus off if Pichu returns. That would be so hilarious, as he IS the joke character.

As for what I would change with some characters NOT getting the ax...

Marth- All I see is sword swinging. Figure out how to shoot projectiles with your sword.
Ganondorf- You have a SWORD, Ganon. Use it. Please.
Ness- I have one thing to say to you, Ness. Go to Falco, beat him to a pulp, and GET YOUR SPIKE BACK. That's all you need to be the king of Smash once again. "What about the Yo-Yo's? They suck LOL!!!!11one" YYG. They are fine. Leave'em alone. Ness is top tier. :p
Mewtwo- More weight. Everything else is fine.
Young Link- Be yourself, except steal WW Link's stuff. Now we have both Y. Link AND WW Link- a great compromise.
Falco- Give away your spike (To Ness), and get a better recovery. Heck, get luigi-fied while you're at it.

7ak- To "Luigify" is to make a clone not-so-much of a clone. As in if you i/e changed what Falco's attacks looked like, made his phantasm a charge-up (Not that much of one, though, we don't want to go from crap to super recovery), and gave him a different up-B, that would be luigifying.

Zink

Smash Champion
If Falco had better recovery, he'd be top tier. And I think he'd rather KEEP his spike, thank you very much :)
Marth just swings his sword. Why should he have a projectile? It isn't really in his stlye of play.
DMK, Fierce Diety would probably destroy the stage and explode the opponent. He's just wayyyy too strong. :laugh:

Khanczar

Smash Ace
Pit 42 said:

.....jiggs is high tier... ever heard of the wall of pain? And btw, jiggs is actually fairly easy to use.

NukeA6

Smash Master
7ak said:
Why does everyone hate Doc, G&W, and Falco so much? I agree Pichu is horrible, but Doc is a pretty powerful character and his pill projectile is really unique
Dr. Mario is so much like Mario except he does more damage. Besides there already is Mario clone (Luigi) and we don't need another one. The pill is unique? Oh please, it's just the fireball with a wierd trajectory.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I would personally like to see Pichu go (as alot of people have said). Bye Bye to Roy as well. Nix the IC's (Yes, I said it!- I dun like em). Young link can go too- unless you give him a new moveset, possibly change him with Impa from Oot. Have sheik as her own char, and replace the princess Zelda with pirate Tetra.

I'd like to see Link be made faster.
Mewtwo with moves that are a little bit easier to use (at least for me, Im not an avid M2 player) make Bowser less laggy. Give ganondorf a sword as an alternate costume (or 2 incase there's a ganon ditto) w. its own moves (Im dreamin' I know).

EDIT: As far as prospective char lists go, I would look at the trophy list. Some of the trophies in SSBM were character models for upcoming games (Animal Crossing). Plus, alot of the newer chars came from that trophy list (Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, and I think Meta-Knight) So, I would look at the trophies as the place the developers will draw new chars from. Not saying all 150+ characters in the trophy list are gonna be there, but- I think that's where they're drawing from.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Meta Knight was a trophy, but not Zamus. They did have one of Samus without her helmet, however. You need Action Replay to get it.

Anyways, I still think they'll axe all the clones but Falco, and then re-add GDorf and Young Link as GDorf with new moves and WW Link. Sheik I wonder about sometimes, and I also wonder about Marth and Mr. Game and Watch. I'd prefer those last three to stay, but Marth could be replaced by Sigurd, like was originally planned for even SSB64. Game and Watch isn't much of a surprise anymore. And Sheik is probably not in Twilight Princess.

Everyone else, though, I'm sure will be returning. Even Ness.

Top Bottom