• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Is there a public version of MLP? Like a beta? As far as I know it would have to be nulled if there isn't for everybody to practice. If do win do you guys think that they would have the highest attendance of the games on account of the fandom?

:phone:
There's no build released and there's no build planned for any date.

The competitive fighting game players are a small minority of the MLP fanbase, if it wins it's going to be the worst game attendance and the highest stream views in the history of Evo games. I doubt it'll even beat 50, which is why we'll make sure Melee wins instead.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
ummm...bo1 pools vs. a dedicated tourney hosted by homies?
just another smash major vs. 70 000 viewers watching on stream

no offense to genesis and the genesis staff, they are GODLIKE tournaments no doubt

but evo would bring the community unprecedented exposure

both can happily co exist :)

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Well I donated $100 just now plus $5 from a previous donation. Step up your game ladies. Also willing to donate more since this is a wonderful cause in 2 different ways.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Well I donated $100 just now plus $5 from a previous donation. Step up your game ladies. Also willing to donate more since this is a wonderful cause in 2 different ways.
Nice dude =) I'm going to donate some more too because I wanna see Melee at Evo. I would suggest other people donate too and here's why:

Melee making it to the EVO is probably the best thing that could happen to our community. The amount of exposure we get is going to attract new players, grow the community, and show people that Melee is a goddamn amazing game that attracts a lot of hype. If Melee being at Evo will be a successful event it greatly increases our chances of being featured also in the following years. This could also be a great chance to narrow the stupid gap between our community and the FGC, which I believe is at least partly created by stream monsters and internet haters. We need FGC. We are doing ok by ourselves but Melee can get so much BIGGER, we can do BETTER.

IF Melee will not make it to the EVO BECAUSE some posters here want to develop conspiracies on how all this is just an evil plot to screw us over and milk some money I'm going to be very disappointed. Really EVO has absolutely no need to even give us a chance, they really don't. I think we have absolutely no right to ***** about Mr. Wizard or Evo as we have been given SEVERAL chances to show what our community has to offer. Well, we haven't done that great so far. I remember SEVERAL people being pessimistic about the Facebook poll saying on how it's not going to make a difference and how it would merely be ignored. Well guess what, we are given YET another chance (which I believe will the the last one) to really show what this community is made of. I don't personally give a **** if the money donated is ending up supporting the breast cancer research or the US. military as long as it increases our chances of being featured at EVO. I want Melee to get bigger and I want the community to grow, and goddamn I'm willing to spend money to see it happen.

E:

Donated 50 more

MasterHavik

Smash Cadet
I was watching that item when it went that way, I'm pretty sure the 10,000 bid was a troll bid. Plushies are currently the most expensive custom made item that goes on ebay from what I've seen. The most expensive one went for 5 grand ( Life sized Rainbow Dash ), with a few 2,200 and 2,500 dollar ones that popped up from time to time after that. Most go between 100 to 1,000 now a days. I've never seen anything get remotely close to them price wise. This is why I think that 10,000 bid was a troll bid.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/257527888/bronycon-the-documentary

This on the other hand did occur the summer last year. Don't think they'll donate that much though.
lol dude at anime conventions I saw handmade mlp plushie for 100 to 200 dollars a pop.

JacopeX

Smash Apprentice
Donated 10 bucks. I also posted the link to the donation site on my facebook wall trying to spread the word the best I can.

Stargazer

Smash Rookie
lol dude at anime conventions I saw handmade mlp plushie for 100 to 200 dollars a pop.
A lot of plush makers have jumped on the MLP Bandwaggon now a days so you won't see it as much now as you did back in October 2011 when the first big one, Gala Fluttershy went for $2,450 dollars if I recall ( Same person later did Gala Rainbow Dash which fetched $2,200 or so. ) Later on a Life Sized Rainbow Dash went from 4,900 dollars ( Ebay Auction from then ). There's tons of plush makers now so seeing them go for more regularly 500-800 dollars now a days.

Few WhiteDove's broke 1-2 grand as well several months later like Fausticorn ( Lauren Fausts' OC ) and the season 2 finale's main villain. ( Can't spell her name lol )

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
Donated $200. Melee and its players deserve our turn at evo, and this cause is a fantastic one to donate towards either way.

I'm hoping I can donate one grand by spring. Gonna be putting in those long hours at work. :mad:

Anth0ny

Smash Master
HOW BOUT THEM GRAND FINALS

we got 13k viewers on the Apex stream

hopefully that helps our chances

it should considering Apex was one of the greatest Melee events I've ever seen!!!! this games NEEDS to be at Evo.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
HOW BOUT THEM GRAND FINALS

we got 13k viewers on the Apex stream

hopefully that helps our chances

it should considering Apex was one of the greatest Melee events I've ever seen!!!! this games NEEDS to be at Evo.
skisonic himself said that melee GFs was so hype. i think we have the backing of some of the FGC, we just need the money! (and less bronies to donate :( )

Revven

FrankerZ
I really, really hope a bunch of people who aren't smashers after watching Apex 2013 donate for Melee at Evo. But we should also be donating, too, and not relying on others outside of our community.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
I really, really hope a bunch of people who aren't smashers after watching Apex 2013 donate for Melee at Evo.
If the stream chat was any indication: Melee tonight opened a LOT of eyes in the FGC. I'm not sure what's so special about this Apex to have caused this, but it certainly feels like melee is undergoing a resurgence of sorts. I think community support for Melee in evo has been immeasurably increased after tonight's showing.

I mean, how could you not become a fan of melee after that top 8? Especially after a relatively anticlimactic & (arguably) fraudulent marvel top 8 (*cough* Jrosa *cough*), the level of technical game play and crowd hype from melee stole the show.

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, Apex 2012 didn't have social media spreading the word, didn't have a bunch of streamed Melee/Brawl major tournaments before the international was streamed, and it also didn't have the Evo 2013 poll (though the poll prob. was a real small part of it). It's just the mere combination of all these things that got Apex 2013 and Melee more recognized. That's why this Apex was more special than last year's.

We just need to keep this momentum going for Genesis 3. Keep streaming major tournaments all the way up to the huge international.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
So was there any big donations given out AT the tournament? I was hoping someone would have put a collection box out and donated the amount that they collected.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
If the stream chat was any indication: Melee tonight opened a LOT of eyes in the FGC. I'm not sure what's so special about this Apex to have caused this
It was part evo, part Strife fixing up the FGC side of the tournament. We were on their minds and on their channel so they gave us a chance. Ultimate David, Fchamp, chen, jwong, skisonic and all the 8wayrun mods were hype for melee and DevilMaySpy an FGC mod watched all of like...top 12 which ran really long and then he started saying we should donate for evo and melee was hype sooo...start donating. Genesis being so close is either a very god or bad thing. No word from bronies in a long time too, most likely forgot about it and we got subreddit of the day and now 600+ smashers are coming home to their smashboards.

lol donate.

and also...stop posting on srk with "Hi Melee player here and we'd like to be in Evo." lol we look desperate when we're not and the trolls are running a field day while the reasonable people already know a good bit about smash/don't and would give us a chance and them coming here or apex being huge is enough.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
http://shoryuken.com/2013/01/13/evo-2013-donation-drive-standings-and-rule-update/

"MLP, Fighting is Magic is in a unique situation. The game has no official release date, and it’s not clear if the game will be ready in time for players to get up to speed in time for Evo 2013. For the Mane6 team, this contest represents and artificial deadline. We don’t want to put any undo pressure on them to release anything but their best effort when it’s ready. So, after talking to the Mane6 guys, we’ve decided to handle FiM slightly differently.

First, FiM will be back in a big way at the Evo 2013 Indie Gaming Showcase (spoiler, the Indie Gaming Showcase from Evo 2012 returns in 2013!). This year we will have multiple setups so a lot more players will get a crack at the game. This is 100% happening regardless of the results of the donation drive, and we’re happy to have the game back for a second year.

Next, we’re removing FiM from the running for the 8th Evo game. If FiM finishes with the most money donated, we will take the game with the second highest donations as the 8th Evo game. But, should FiM win the donation drive, Evo will sponsor an exhibition tournament and run it out of the Indie Gaming Showcase. The top 8 players from the exhibition will fight it out on stage and stream, like previous Evo exhibitions.

One more thing. As you can see, so far the FiM guys are kicking everyone else’s tails (I’m sure there’s a pony pun in there somewhere). So let’s make things a little more interesting. Evo will provide a $1000 bonus to the first place game. If a game manages to take down FiM and come out on top of the donation drive, Evo will spike the tournament pot for $1000. If FiM wins, the $1000 will go towards prizes for their exhibition."

Gentlemen, we've won.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
We're still mid-month. The other games still have a chance. Don't let the others pass us up guys!

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
::::::OOOOOOO

TIME TO START DONATING FOR THAT 1000$ POT BONUS
CAN'T DARE TO LET EVERYONE ELSE PASS US UP
THEY'LL THINK THEY HAVE A CHANCE TOO NOW
allcapsandallmelee

EDIT
Also please put that quote major moses quoted in the OP plox

SRK said:
MLP, Fighting is Magic: $3,519.50
Super Smash Bros. Melee: $1,404.32
Skullgirls: $814.22
Guilty Gear XX, Accent Core Plus : $767.90
Soul Calibur V: $387.41
Divekick: $343.95
Dead or Alive 5: $202.69
Blazblue: $200.00
Virtua Fighter 5: $191.00
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: $155.00
Remember to keep that lead against everyone else

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
A 1000$ pot bonus would be fantastic though, it would bolster attendance significantly. We need to work for that as well. It's good incentive to at least go full steam ahead, keep donating as much as possible, and at worst only keep second place.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
If FiM wins, 2nd place game is the Evo 8th game

Thank you, based God.

Bstuk

Smash Cadet
In order to get the $1000 pot bonus, we gotta donate at least $2000. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a separate fund for the pot bonus?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
In order to get the $1000 pot bonus, we gotta donate at least $2000. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a separate fund for the pot bonus?
We'd risk letting the other games pass us. As it is, there are at least two that pose a tangible threat before the donation drive ends.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Genesis 3 may have made it less likely for me to donate. I don't think the International guys are going to travel to both, and if they choose one, it'll be Genesis.

But on the other hand, $1000 pot bonus is nice.

IDK... I'm still thinking about it.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Was gonna go back in here after seeing that. As it stands right now, there's zero-BS regarding all of this now. BUT, the twitter hole is currently telling me that people are working on getting donations in for GG, so we're gonna have actual honest-to-god competition regarding this. DONATION DRIVES GOGOGO

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Just saw the update. Spread the word guys. We can keep the lead as long as we keep donating. If everyone just chips in a few bucks we've got this

Super

Smash Apprentice
I hope the international players can attend both if it happens. Maybe Genesis 3 organizers can put it in the weekend after or before, so internationals can do both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom