• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Maybe he is? It's impossible to tell how good a character truly is at this point in the metagame, especially with the lack of large regional / national tourneys thus far.
That's true. But from the data we have now (properties of characters, match-up's) we can assume that some characters are better than others. Mybe Wario is a better character than Dedede? At the moment it looks otherwise. But who knows? Maybe the future will show me wrong

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
wario's grab release shenanigans are too much of a weakness for him to be a top 3 character.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Peach has an advantage on Sheik, fairly even with Zelda. Sheik/Zelda is even better but still fairly even with Peach.

Charoo

Smash Champion
entry fee: $7
10/18/08
entrants: 110
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=191335

Singles
1) Futile (wario)
2) TKD (metaknight/ ice climbers)
3) DSF (metaknight/ snake)
4) Boa (marth/ metaknight)
5) Ajax (snake)
5) Shadowrob (rob)
7) Edrees (peach)
7) Leepuff (mr. game & watch)
9) Mike Haze (marth)
9) Champ (sheik/fox/falcon)

this is all that edrees remembers

im sure results will be uploaded on aib soon

i think every good in socal went to this tournament or at least all the power ranking people anmd the people who will be on the power ranking.

Edrees is pretty good at this game btw

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
After much deliberating, I have decided NOT to accept MK-banned tournament results. Better metagame or not, it's still a completely different game when Meta Knight isn't in it.

The tournament will still be listed in my txt file, though.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
After much deliberating, I have decided NOT to accept MK-banned tournament results. Better metagame or not, it's still a completely different game when Meta Knight isn't in it.

good call. as much as i'd like to see it so, you're very much right, it is a different game

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well *ahem*.

At the moment Ankoku, Meta Knight is at the [approximately] 40% mark.

So a tournament without him should only get 60% of the points.

Or because there are less than '37' characters available, just times the score by 36/37.

Lirok

Smash Journeyman

Good call.
Well *ahem*.

At the moment Ankoku, Meta Knight is at the [approximately] 40% mark.

So a tournament without him should only get 60% of the points.

Or because there are less than '37' characters available, just times the score by 36/37.
Such a percentage isnt precise enough, this wouldn't work as well as just leaving the tourneys out.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Are you nuts Lirok? More and more tournaments are banning Meta Knight.

Do you think of how the list will skew as time goes on where reasonably sized tournaments all have Meta banned and the only points in the list are those from specific areas where the character isn't banned? I'd totally like to see a Character Rank List with maybe 8 characters with points with the rest being at 0.

Tenki

Smash Hero

Just wondering, does this apply to _____-banned tournaments?

Not that this is a relevant example, but one early tourney banned Pit.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i think a tourney list just for mk banned tourneys would be interesting. at that point we could compare and kind of see what mk's impact may be.

Lirok

Smash Journeyman
Are you nuts Lirok? More and more tournaments are banning Meta Knight.

Do you think of how the list will skew as time goes on where reasonably sized tournaments all have Meta banned and the only points in the list are those from specific areas where the character isn't banned? I'd totally like to see a Character Rank List with maybe 8 characters with points with the rest being at 0.
Exaggerating aside, sure. But it's not exactly taboo anymore to ban him, and people are doing it. 'We'll see' doesn't seem proactive enough in my opinion.
i think a tourney list just for mk banned tourneys would be interesting. at that point we could compare and kind of see what mk's impact may be.
Shaya: Until the much larger part of the community is banning MK, putting those tourney rankings into the current list cant be done. The major factor is that the entire thing could still go either way, it isnt set in stone that MK will be banned and it's just a matter of time. When the "sckew" effect you stated starts to come into play, it will probably be when the community has already decided to ban MK, if that happens.

I think Steel36's idea is actually good. The comparison between the lists would defiently have an effect on the debate on banning MK, and it supplies rankings to those who dont want to be in tourneys with MK. However, this will only work if a large amount of competitive players dedicate themselves to these tourneys, especially the higher level pros.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Steel36's idea is actually pretty good.

i.e.
1st Meta Knight (1900 points + 0 points)
2nd Snake (930 points + 400 points)
3rd ...

Where all the second parts are where Meta is banned, and then a little list of the rankings in points order with meta banned below all the rest.

ANYWAY:
TOURNAMENT: Smoosh Boost
LINK: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5606988&postcount=568
DATE: October 19th, 2008
LOCALE: Australia [Sydney]
ENTRANTS: 22
ENTRY: $10.00
RESULTS:
1 S.D. (Meta Knight/Pit/Lucas)
2 FTS (Snake/Donkey Kong/Lucas)
3 Shaya (Marth/Meta Knight/Falco/Diddy Kong/Sheik)
4 Meteor (ROB/Olimar/Ice Climbers/Lucas)
5 tedeth (Wolf/Wario/Ganondorf)
6 Fruity (Sonic/Captain Falcon/Pokémon Trainer)
7 Luke ATY (Snake/Link/Luigi)
8 Turtle (Meta Knight/Diddy)

Napilopez

Smash Lord
way to make life hell for whoever has to calculate the results for that tourney lol
LOL.

Seriously, no one used a single character XD.

And wario placing 1, alone? No metaknight as a counter? Out of 110 entrants? I know wario is already top, but thats pretty darn impressive, especially when there seemed to be so many MKs

Luigi player

Smash Master
I just programmed a program that calculates this.

But you can only input one character... so you'd have to input every secondary if there are some xP (and don't forget to part the individual values)

Btw, I'm not sure anymore...

If there are listed two characters. Do they get 50 % each? Or 66/33? 75/25?
And if there are listed more than 2? Does the first one always get's 50 % and the rest is parted and everyone get's the same number?

Someone posted this, but then he edited his post...

bob-e

Smash Journeyman

Since it's completely different game, do you suppose you could make a completely seperate ranking list for no Metaknight tournaments?

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Tournaments are based on popularity or certain palyers. Warios good results are based on 3 players: Futile, Reflex and DMG. He is #3 because of that. Therefore he must be a better character than KingDedede, Falco and Mr. Game and Watch, rith?
Yeah, Wario might just be better than those characters despite the way we perceive it. It will take time, but IMO Wario is definitely the same league and breath as those three.

A better question is , why can't "certain players" win with Game and Watch the way these 'certain players" win with Wario? Would you mean to suggest that no one good has tried winning with Game and Watch? Surely there must be a reason that so many people try to use him and so many good players use him and many fail. I'm not saying wario is better than these charracters, I'm saying there is a lot of substance to be taken out of his character from the fact that people can win at such a high level using him.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I agree with Edrees. Also it could be due to the fact that there is not a person that great behind the character to show its true power. Like how people were going on about Zelda is this and that. But who has come to the top and has beasted with Zelda to show how great she is from what people are saying? From her tournament results, no one. Untill a Person Picks Zelda and beast with her in tournaments. She will not be seen as people want.

That's why I say tournaments matter. Tournaments matter cause the pressure is on, and you will be tested mentally as well as how you can handle yourself when things get tuff. And with Characters like Zelda its too hard. So that's why people go to characters like the high tiers. No one has took a stand with Zelda in tournaments to beast and get her records up.

Remember how it was with Peach back then? "Peach sucks, she got nerfed, I need my broken Dsmash or I can't win, can't kill, waa,waa,waa" All that crap and look at Peach now. Look at her rank. Edrees step it up and did not care about all those babies crying about Peach. He just Picked Peach and beasted in tournaments cause he is freaking smart and knows what to do. Thats how it should be with every good man behind each character if you wanna see what they can really do. if not its ether:

- The characters match ups are too much

- People behind them dont really know the character and/or thier match ups 100%

- Pick them cause they can spam or camp and think that will just get them the win.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
How good a character is is ALL about the character matchups.

Just that nobody knows all of them for sure yet.

Well, except maybe Meta Knight. Just pick a random number between 60 and 100, you've got MK's number in the matchup. lol

Or Captain Falcon. Same thing, except it's between 0 and 40.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
What program do you use?
Shaya's awesome PROGRAM (copyright).

No warranty, don't send me PMs, make your own printOut function, Fox only, Final Destination.

P.S. need folders "In" and "Out". In has a file name for example "Oct 08.txt", where the first line is the amount of tournaments and then it's pretty much just Ankoku's txt file at the front split by months.

Actually, if you want the program, make sure Ankoku is okay with it first then I'll repost it.

TKD

Smash Lord
Chula Vista, San Diego, California

Chula Vista Weekly XVI:
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=3075
10/12/08
17 entrants
Entry Fee: $7

1: TKD (Meta Knight)
2: Havok (Marth)
3: Hall (Snake)
4: Burnts0cks (Yoshi)
5: Nyjin (Ike)
5: IceDX (Sonic/Lucario)
7: Mario (Pikachu)
7: Oats (Pokemon Trainer/Lucas)
9: Phear (Bowser/D3)
9: Soid (Meta Knight)

Chula Vista Weekly XVII:
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=3197
10/19/08
20 entrants
Entry Fee: $7

1: Hall (Snake)
2: MogX (Kirby)
3: TKD (Meta Knight)
4: Havok (Marth)
5: Kaos (Meta Knight)
5: Powered By Sex (Snake)
7: Reaper (Meta Knight)
7: Nyjin (Falco)
9: Soul (Pit)
9: Underwing (Toon Link)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
oh snap, IceDX is beating faces.

what happened to sonic son?

i cant tell which is worse, having MK win, or having him have 3 of the top 8
edit: i know whats worse

do you have these results up yet?

http://www.arena51.com/nuke/modules...pic&t=2256&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105

http://www.arena51.com/nuke/modules...opic&t=2259&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

http://www.arena51.com/nuke/modules...opic&t=2273&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

rochester fall biweeklies

also here are some results from the sonic boards that im not sure have gotten back to you or not

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5618693&postcount=1734

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196152

TKD

Smash Lord
FORGOT......!!! Updating my last post...

EDIT: Done.

Ice mains Sonic most of the time. And didn't attend the last one

i cant tell which is worse, having MK win, or having him have 3 of the top 8
edit: i know whats worse
Hahaha true true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom