• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, that is the rule for just about all the games, you play for fun, if you play to win, your just basicly wasting your life and you could do so much more.
How is wanting to win wasting your life? Besides, why not broaden the appeal so that people can play for fun or to win?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
How is wanting to win wasting your life?
You know, just playing the game just to win money and you could do other things to get more money, that's what I mean by that... maybe that came out wrong.

Besides, why not broaden the appeal so that people can play for fun or to win?
Is that even possable? Though Sakurai was trying to make that possable, but even then people still didn't like it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Is that even possable? Though Sakurai was trying to make that possable, but even then people still didn't like it.
I can't say for certain since I'm not a developer, but the way they can appeal to both sides is by presenting the competitive aspects where you can take it or leave it.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Why do people suggest things like ridley and knuckles and krystal? THOSE ARE DUMB. Ridley is big enough to be a boss for God's sake, LOOK HOW BIG HE IS! knuckles and krystal and such would just be really REALLY lame clones. They should be introducing more franchises. My #1 pick for a new character in brawl:

Issac or Felix: For those of you who've played both Golden Sun games, you know they're both earth adepts, they wouldn't be a clone of marth or anything like that, and a lot of people are already requesting Golden Sun's involvement.

Rayman: Why not? He's been with Nintendo for a while, he's cool, maybe they'll even include some raving rabbid shenanigans. The only problem I'd foresee is his moveset being really basic with just plain ol' kicks and punches, but I'll leave that to the designers to make him good.

Mewtwo: nuff said

Banjo and Kazooie: RARE may be farther from Nintendo than it was in the 64 days, but I don't think a deal being made is that out of the question.

oh yeah, and no more tripping

gantrain05

Smash Master
Why do people suggest things like ridley and knuckles and krystal? THOSE ARE DUMB. Ridley is big enough to be a boss for God's sake, LOOK HOW BIG HE IS! knuckles and krystal and such would just be really REALLY lame clones. They should be introducing more franchises. My #1 pick for a new character in brawl:

Issac or Felix: For those of you who've played both Golden Sun games, you know they're both earth adepts, they wouldn't be a clone of marth or anything like that, and a lot of people are already requesting Golden Sun's involvement.

Rayman: Why not? He's been with Nintendo for a while, he's cool, maybe they'll even include some raving rabbid shenanigans. The only problem I'd foresee is his moveset being really basic with just plain ol' kicks and punches, but I'll leave that to the designers to make him good.

Banjo and Kazooie: RARE may be farther from Nintendo than it was in the 64 days, but I don't think a deal being made is that out of the question.

stop flaming dude, those aren't DUMB choices, look at olimar, he's the size of a quarter, yet he's playable, bowser is much smaller than he is in any new mario game, knuckles would be a clone how?

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
My comments in yellow:

Ridley being too big is the most common excuse for him being a bad choice. The cloniest Knuckles would probably be would be an Ikefied version of Sonic. Krystal could use her staff and spells to not be just another space animal.

Isaac would be awesome. Felix should take Isaac's place as an Assist Trophy though.

Marth's moveset is very basic as well. However, Megaman should get in before Rayman does.

I agree.

If Snake got in, than he has a shot.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace

Who cares big characters can be playable. It is in many games. REalize that people. What are you blind. You haven't played games that had characters playable and much bigger then others so it can happen.

justaway12

Smash Master
they can just shrink him they did the same with olimar (but opposite) in his original game he was small extremely small so small that a small child can just step on him he was about the size of a quarter

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Who cares big characters can be playable. It is in many games. REalize that people. What are you blind. You haven't played games that had characters playable and much bigger then others so it can happen.
The thing is, are you blind?, Ridley has already been portrayed in Smash Bros. as a huge character. This shows that Sakurai/his team want to portray him that way and that's probably the way he'll stay as long as they're in charge. Sure, Ridley may have canonically been Samus-sized in maybe one game, but in Smash Bros., Ridley has already been depicted as huge. Also, your last sentence made no sense.

LSDX

Wah!
If I remember correctly, in his own games Kirby is only about eight inches tall. This would make his size much bigger in Smash Bros. No real sizes are accurate to their own games except for those probably of the humanoid shape consisting of the following: Samus, Snake, Marth, Ike, Roy, Peach, Link, Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf. Probably not Pit due to his appearence being younger in age, so his apperence in Smash Bros. is much older and has never been officially shown by its own creators.

Roihu

Smash Ace
If I remember correctly, in his own games Kirby is only about eight inches tall. This would make his size much bigger in Smash Bros. No real sizes are accurate to their own games except for those probably of the humanoid shape consisting of the following: Samus, Snake, Marth, Ike, Roy, Peach, Link, Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf. Probably not Pit due to his appearence being younger in age, so his apperence in Smash Bros. is much older and has never been officially shown by its own creators.
Really? King Dedede seemed much bigger than a foot. =\

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
For use with my Gwen moveset.

Guild Wars is a popular MMORPG. Though not as popular as World of Warcraft, which it is often compared to, its players number in the millions. Unlike WoW, which rips off it's players with a monthly fee even after you buy the games, Guild Wars has no monthly fee. Simply buy it (the games can often be found for 30 bucks or less each), get an internet connection, done.

Grinding is barely a part of Guild Wars. The maximum character level is 20, which, in PvE can be reached in a day easily. A PvP only character starts at level 20 and has maximum strength equipment and access to all skills currently unlocked on your account but cannot travel to PvE campaigns.

Unlike most MMO's there is little penalty for dying. You do not lose your equipment or money, but when you die, you temporarily have 15% less maximum health and energy (maximum 60% less). Death Penalty is removed as you gain experience or by gaining Moral Boosts (which increase your maximum health and energy by 2% with a maximum of 10%). When you enter a town or outpost, all death penalty and moral boosts disappear. If your entire team is dead in an explorable area, you ressurect at the nearest shrine. If your entire team dies in a mission, you lose the mission.

The game has 8 classes. Your character is allowed a primary class that cannot be changed and a secondary class that can be changed.

1) Warrior- Core class. This class has the heaviest armor and the most straightforward (melee) style. It wields the sword, the axe, and the hammer, as well as being able to wield a shield with the former two weapon types. In PvE, this class is employed to be a tank for the group. In PvP, this group is frequently used to deliver constant and reliable dps (damage per second) to pressure the enemies. This class has access to the swordsmanship, axe mastery, and hammer mastery attributes, as well as the tactics attribute, which utilizes shouts and stances to benefit yourself or your team, or hinder the opponents. Primary warriors also gain the Strength attribute, which provides a % chance to have a certain % chance of armor penetration on your attacks, as well as increasing the effectiveness of Strength skills.

2) Ranger- Core Class. This class has good armor and is the best defended against elemental damage. It utilizes the bow as it's weapon of choice and can tame the powers of nature. In PvE, this class isn't usually in high demand, though it may find use as a widespread Barrage Ranger, among other things. In PvP, this class is prized for it's decent spike damage (large damage in quick bursts), condition spreading, interruption abilities, and other things. This class has access to the marksmanship attribute, the beast mastery attribute, which allows the ranger to tame and animal companion and makes said animal companion more powerful, the wilderness survival attribute, which provides a variety of traps, defensive stances and abilities, and other benefits of nature. Primary rangers gain the expertise attribute, which decreases the energy cost of certain skills based on your level in this attribute, as well as increasing the effectiveness of Expertise skills.

3) Elementalist- Core Class. This class has light armor. While its weapons of choice are staves or rods and focuses, this class is based around spells. In PvE, fire elementalists are commonly employed to nuke the holy Hell out of the ******** AI monsters. In PvP, Air and Water Elementalists are the most commonly employed types. Air Elementalists strike foes with highly concentrated spike damage, cause blinding, and knock foes down. Water Elementalists also use spike damage, but they are useful for their hexes, which hinder and/or slow opponents. Earth Elementalists are the least appreciated type of Elementalist due to being inferior at both nuking and spiking to their Fire, Air, and Water cousins. Earth Elementalists, however, possess great tanking abilities in certain areas and are commonly used to grind in PvE and to grief people in low level PvP. Elementalists have access to Air Magic, Fire Magic, Water Magic, and Earth Magic attributes. Primary elementalists also have access to Energy Storage, which increases their maximum energy and increases the effectiveness of Energy Storage skills.

4) Necromancer- Core class. Commonly referred to as "anti-heroes." The Necromancer is a versatile class that wears light armor and has a gothic, or even evil appearance. It wields staves or rods and focuses, though spells are its primary ability. In PvE, the most commonly used Necromancers are Minion Masters (MMs), which raise groups of undead minions to fight for your team. In PvP, Necromancers are employed for their hexes, which hinder foes greatly, or blood spiking. Necromancers have access to Death Magic, Blood Magic, and Curses. Death Magic is based around the mastery of minions, though it also has damage dealing spells and hexes of its own. Blood Magic is based around stealing HP from foes to fuel yourself. Curses is a line of debilitating hexes. Primary Necromancers also gain access to Soul Reaping, which gives them mana when something dies and boosts the effectiveness of Energy Storage skills.

5) Mesmer- Core class. Mesmers are easily the most unique class Guild Wars has to offer. They really make an image, standing in the battlefield wearing suits, dresses, and costumes that truly make them appear as though they had just walked out of a masked ball or a play. Gwen belongs to this class. The mesmer wields staves or rods and focuses, though its true strength is in spells that manipulate the mind. In PvE, Mesmers are considered to be useless, and are often unable to find human groups, forcing Mesmer players to find a group of henchmen or heroes. Fast casting Mesmers with an Elementalist secondary, a combination which allows for quick nuke spells, may be invited into groups, however. In PvP, Mesmers are incredibly valuable for their abilities to shut down foes and a variety of Mesmer types are employed for this purpose. Mesmers have access to domination magic, illusion magic, and inspiration magic. Domination Magic is considered to be Anti-Caster, as it punishes and shuts down characters for a variety of actions. Illusion Magic is considered to be Anti-Melee, as it slows down characters, decreases their hit percentages, and unleashes a variety of other effects. Inspiration Magic is often for the Mesmers benefit, as it replenishes the mesmers mana, though it can be used to drain a foes mana, among other weird effects. Primary mesmers have access to Fast Casting, which increases the speed that Mesmers can cast not only mesmer spells, but all spells, as well as increasing the effectiveness of fast casting skills.

6) Monk- Core class. This class is the lifeblood of any group. High demand and short supply. Widely considered to be the most difficult class to master, as they must be able to protect the entire group from death. They wield staves or rods and focuses, but their main use is spells. Monks have light armor. In PvE, Monks are generally expected to possess mainly Healing Prayers, though Protection Prayers monks are sometimes requested for groups. In PvP, Monks are required to be highly skilled and versatile, able to heal and/or protect, remove conditions and hexes, ... what ever it takes to keep the group alive in all situations. Smiting Monks are the outcasts of Guild Wars, mistreated and abused, they have no real place anywhere :(. Monks have access to Healing Prayers, Protection Prayers, and Smiting Prayers. Healing Prayers are straight-forward, healing single targets, or multiple targets. Protection Prayers prevent damage, remove hexes and conditions, and many other useful effects (I myself use Protection Prayers). Smiting Prayers are almost all about damage dealing, a fact that causes them to be rejected, as everyone wants a Monk to do a Monk's job. Primary Monks gain access to Divine Favor, which adds an additional 3.2 healing to all monk spells (Healing, Protection, Smiting, and Divine Favor) that target allies (or yourself), as well as increasing the effectiveness of Divine Favor skills.

7) Assassin- Factions class. This class is all about swift kills. Many Narutards play as this class, but few skilled Assassins exist. Assassins have semi-light armor (the same as Ranger but without a bonus against Elemental damage) and wield melee daggers. In PvE, Assassins are largely rejected, due to the reputation they have gained for being incredibly stupid (many Narutards treat an Assassin like a Warrior) and for their very nature as a single-target eliminator, rather than a widespread damager. Bow-wielding Barrage Assassin/Rangers can be included into PvE groups. In PvP, the Assassin is popular in low level PvP, as inexperienced players often fall victim to their deadly, but predictable skill chains, but the class is largely rejected in higher levels of competition. The Assassin has access to Dagger Mastery, Deadly Arts, and Shadow Arts. Deadly Arts provide an alternative source of killing to the conventional dagger comboes, as well as providing hexes and other abilities. Shadow Arts are mostly about self-defense. Primary Assassins gain access to the Critical Strikes attribute, which increases the Assassin's % chance to do extra direct weapon damage (with all weapons, not just daggers), provide an energy gain on critical hits, and increase the effectiveness of Critical Strikes skills.

8) Ritualist- Factions class. This class is incredibly versatile but misunderstood, and is the equivalent of the shaman in many games. Ritualists have light armor and wield staves or rods and focuses. In PvE, Ritualists don't get a lot of attention, but they are often included when Monks are not available or as Spirit Summoning Ritualists. In PvP, Ritualists aren't any more appreciated than in PvE, sometimes making teams in low level as a healer, spirit summoner, or channeling ritualist. In high level PvP, Ritualists are almost only used as flag runners. Ritualists have access to the Communing, Channeling, and Restoration attributes. Communing is focused around the summoning of spirits. Channeling is about dealing lightning damage (which is somewhat comparable to the Elementalist's Air Magic line). Restoration is an alternative to Healing and Protection (though it doesn't excell in either category). Primary Ritualists gain access to the Spirit Mastery attribute, which increases the HP of summoned spirits and increases the effectiveness of Spirit Mastery skills.

9) Dervish- Nightfall class. This class is an alternative to the Warrior. Dervishes wear semi-light armor, much like Assassins, and wield scythes, 2-handed weapons that deal damage to the target and to adjacent enemies. In PvE, Dervishes with lots of self-buffs are used as an alternative tank to warriors. In PvP, Dervishes are employed for their powerful melee spike damage, viable pressure damage, and variety of enchantments and shutdown abilities. Dervishes gain access to Scythe Mastery, Earth Prayers, and Wind Prayers. Earth Prayers are largely defensively natured, providing armor buffs, spells that blind the foes, and other effects. Wind Prayers are versatile, providing some defensive skills, but also skills that are used offensively or for other purposes, such as running speed buffs. Primary Dervishes gain access to the Mysticysm attribute, which provides access to the famed god avatar forms, provides an energy return when an enchantment on the ritualist ends, and increases the effectiveness of Mysticysm skills, including those avatar forms.

10) Paragon- Nightfall class. This class is effectively a hybrid of the Warrior and the Ranger. Paragons wear heavy armor (though are weaker against physical damage than their warrior cousins) and wield 1 handed throwing spears and shields. In PvE, Paragons are often employed for their powerful passively-acting defensive shouts and chants. In PvP, Paragons are somewhat valued for their versatile offensive and defensive shouts and chants as well as their reliable ranged pressure damage and limited spiking ability. Paragons have access to the Spear Mastery, Motivation, and Command Attributes. Motivation increases the effectiveness of shouts, chants, and skills that provide energy and health to the Paragon and/or his allies. Command increases the effectiveness of shouts, chants, and skills that provide defensive, offensive, and tactical buffs to the Paragon and/or his allies. Primary Paragons gain access to Leadership, which provides energy to the Paragon when a shout or chant ends on him, as well as increasing the effectiveness of Leadership skills.

It has a PvE (player vs. environment) mode, in which you raise a character from level 1 to level 20 (a process which can be done in as little as a few hours if you own the Factions campaign), and cooperate with a team of up to 8 (including yourself) players or CPU allies (which consist of mindless Henchmen, and more intelligent customizable Heroes, such as Gwen). The storyline of the PvE mode is quite elaborate. Each of the 4 campaigns (actually 3 campaigns and an expansion) has its own storyline that can be appreciated on its own, but the storylines intertwine and become even greater for those who own all four games.

Guild Wars consists of 3 campaign, and one expansion, which your character can freely travel between:

1) Guild Wars (Prophecies)- The original Guild Wars. This has a Western or European theme (largely American and English designed characters). This gives you access to the original 6 classes, core skills and items that are common to all campaigns, many skills and items that do not exist in the other campaigns, as well as the Prophecies PvE campaign. This is the first chapter in the story. Play as a new hero in the nation of Ascalon and watch as it is burned to ashes in The Searing. Travel across the continent and discover new friends, be betrayed by those who you thought to be friends, and save the entire continent from the threats of the Charr, Undead, and the Titans.

2) Guild Wars: Factions- The second Guild Wars campaign. This has an Asian theme and provides you with access to not only the first 6 classes, but also two new classes, the Assassin and the Ritualist. This also gives you access to core skills and items and skills and items that are unique to Factions. It also has a campaign of its own. Play as a student of Shing Jea monastery. Become Master Togo's favorite, work to fight off a horrible plague that turns the living into horrible afflicted creatures, and defeat the source of this madness, Shiro Tagachi The Betrayer. Meet two factions: The gothic Kurzicks and the tribal Luxons and align yourself with one of the factions. As you explore the continent of Cantha, you will witness a variety of landscapes including Asian cities, plagued slums, beautiful plains, forests and mountains, the stone forests of the Kurzicks, and the jade seas of the Luxons.

3) Guild Wars: Nightfall- The third Guild Wars campaign. It has an African theme and provides you with access to not only the first 6 classes, but also two new classes, the Dervish and the Paragon. It also gives you access to core skills and items and skills and items that are unique to Nightfall. This is the first game to give you heroes, remotely-competent CPU allies that have customizable equipment and skill bars. It also has a campaign of its own. Play as a member of the Sunspears, an elite Elonian fighting force that makes its home on the island of Istan. When the queen of Kourna, the largest and most powerful country in the continent of Elona, becomes possessed by an ancient, evil, and powerful 6th god, she decimates the Sunspears and brings all of Elona into a war. Your hero discovers this quickly, and with the help of what is left of the Sunspears, the heroes of Cantha and Ascalon, and the army of Vabbi, defeat the evil queen, journey to the debths of "Hell" and destroy the evil god, Abaddon.

4) Guild Wars: Eye of the North- An expansion to Guild Wars. To play this, you must own atleast one of the other games. It is based in a new region of the Guild Wars: Prophecies continent, though any of the other campaigns will meet the requirement to play this expansion. You cannot start a character off in this game. Instead, they must travel to this region. Eye of the North has a small set of skills that are unique to it and gives you access to new items, new heroes (such as Gwen), new quests, and new challenges. Eye of the North is truly the highest level of PvE play, as its enemy NPC's have the best skill bars, many of which are derived from competitive play. This time, the threat is an apocalyptic beast of the Dwarven religion, who's coming, which would result in the end of the dwarven world, was prophesized. This monstrosity is the Great Destroyer. Its armies, the destroyers, are a threat to all races, not just the dwarves. Along the way, you will also help Gwen track down lost members of the Ebon Vanguard, help Pyre Fierceshot organize a rebellion to overthrow the Charr religious leaders who lead the Charr to worship the destroyers and the titans, help the Asura defend their new home from the destroyers, enlist the help of the Norn, and build an army to combat the Great Destroyer.

Even more promising, however, is it's PvP (player vs. player mode). Unlike most MMO's, GW has a huge competitive potential, the likes of which can easily put Melee's top tournaments to shame. Its PvP modes consist of:

1) Observer Mode- Though not technically a PvP, this mode allows you to view the most recent Hall of Heroes matches, top GvG matches, and special event matches between the greatest teams from a birds-eye view. From this perspective, you can view the players who are currently, or at one time, fought in this match, watching their tactics and skills of choice. Watch and learn.

2) The Xaishen Challenge- This is an introduction to PvP, in which you can team up with humans to face CPU's that wield skill bars and use tactics that were once common in PvP. (This has since grown outdated, though it is still a sought-after way to earn Balthazar faction).

3) The Random Arenas (RA)- These arenas randomly match your character with 3 random human allies against 4 random human opponents. While these arenas can be a source of joy and comedy, they can also be highly infuriating if you get an incompetent team (or are incompetent yourself). Some consider this to be a viable training PvP, though that is under dispute.

4) The Team Arenas (TA)- These arenas are unlocked by winning 5 consecutive matches in the Random Arenas. In these arenas, you are allowed to pick your team, though so can most of your foes. I say most because teams that win 10 consecutive matches in the Random Arenas are transferred to the Team Arenas on their 11th match.

5) Alliance Battles (AB)- Must own Guild Wars: Factions to participate. Though considered to be low-level PvP, this is a form of PvP that is highly enjoyable for many players, both new and experienced. You pick a team of 4 (including yourself) human players and your team is randomly paired up with 2 other teams of 4 human players against 3 teams of 4 players. This mode has 2 sides, the Luxons and the Kurzicks. The Luxons are usually the more talented group of players, as most players (including most noobs) flock to the Kurzicks in order to get the visually appealing Kurzick armors. The objective of this form of PvP is to either be the first side to 200 points (gained by killing the opposing team's NPCs and players) or by capturing all 7 bases and holding them for one minute (though matches usually end due to the former, the latter is considered to be the most effective tactic and can end matches quickly). Your faction is the same as the guild you belong to, though you can be a guest of a guild of the opposing faction to fight for the other faction in Alliance Battles. There are 5 stages, the stages being chosen by whichever faction is currently winning the most matches and pushing the other faction back (one stage is neutral, each faction has one stage slightly favors them, and each faction has one stage that heavily favors them). Both teams are awarded a share of alliance faction (Kurzick or Luxon), with the winning team receiving a bonus, and the team that was at a disadvantaged stage gets an extra bonus.

6) Competitive Missions- Must own Guild Wars: Factions to participate. There are two of these missions: The Jade Quarry and Fort Aspenwood. These missions, like Alliance Battles, are battles between the Kurzicks and the Luxons. The side you are own is decided by the area you enter (even if you are in the guild of one faction, you can fight for the other simply by going to the mission outpost of the other faction). In both missions, you are randomly assigned a team of 8 humans from your faction (sort of making this a combination of Alliance Battles and the Random Arenas). The winning team receives alliance faction points, while the losing team receives a very small amount of faction. Even the winning side rarely receives enough to make this a decent source of them, atleast when compared to the more profitable Alliance Battles. Due to the map system of the alliance battles, players may often resort to these competitive missions when the current map is not to their liking.
In Fort Aspenwood, the Kurzicks and their NPC's must protect the fort by maintaining the NPC's that protect the amber gates while bringing amber chunks to build an ultimate weapon, while the Luxons assault the fort with the help of their warrior NPCs and mighty Siege Turtle NPCs in a desperate attempt to destroy the weapon, which could spell the end of their tribe. The Luxon side was once considered to hold the advantage, due to a former inexperience of the Kurzicks, but it was later discovered to be exactly the opposite.
The Jade Quarry is a rarely chosen mission... in fact, for reasons that are still under debate, their is almost never enough players on either side to get a full team of 8 together. To play this mission, you are basically required to obtain the help of friends and/or Guild members to build a team on both sides. In this mission, each side is trying to gain control of the jade mines in the Luxon's territory. The Luxons own the jade sea and it is essential to nearly every aspect of their lives. The Kurzicks desire the jade to create jewelry and other valuable pieces of art. The aspect of this mission is to take control of the mines and bring enough pieces of jade to your base to end the mission, while preventing your foes from doing the same.

7) Hero Battles (HB)- Must own Guild Wars: Nightfall. This is a variation of the random and team arenas in which you can hog all of the glory.. well, sort of. You assemble a team of yourself and 3 of your heroes and are matched up against random opponents, one after another, gaining reputation and title points for yourself as you win matches (or losing reputation, but not title, points as you lose). Victory here is dependant not only on your own fighting ability, but also your ability to command your heroes.

8) Heroes' Ascent (HA)- This is considered to be the 2nd highest form of PvP. You and a team of 7 others (this team can include heroes, henchman, and human players, though only the last is generally effective enough to do well) enter a great ordeal. The first match is a training ordeal against a team of NPC henchman (you are awarded a moral boost based on how quickly you eliminate them). Many matches, including relic running (basically a variant of capture the flag), 2 v 2, 3 team FFA, and others stand between your team and the final challenge. The last match (and there are usually many matches) is a great 3 team free for all in the Hall of Heroes. A team who can make it to the Hall of Heroes is truly great. In fact, only one Hall of Heroes match exists at a time, with a several minute gap in between matches. The team who wins in the Hall of Heroes is given great honor (really more like 15 minutes of fame), in which the name of the team leader is displayed on the screen of every player in the game who is currently in a safe town or outpost (*insert character's* team has won a match in the Hall of Heroes).

9) Guild Vs. Guild (GvG)- This is considered to be the greatest and purest form of PvP and the proof that your guild is great. This mode has a huge competitive ladder that pits guilds of compatible skill from around the world against each other and gives them a ranking (#1-infinite, with 1 being the best GvG guild in the world at this moment). Many players seek to make a name for themselves and their guilds through this mode, but only the greatest succeed. To win here, you not only need to have great skill yourself, but your team of 8 must also be highly skilled and coordinated (if your team doesn't communicate using TeamSpeak or Ventrillo, you have little hope of making it to the top). All PvP is based off of this mode, with skills being nerfed or buffed to change, and hopefully one day "balance", the competition. The main goal of this type of PvP is to invade the opponent's fort and kill their primary NPC, the Guild Lord, but matches can also be won by having the best condition at the end of 25 minutes or destroying the enemy players enough times to where each and every member has hit 60% death penalty, making them unable to ressurect.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Well, that is the rule for just about all the games, you play for fun, if you play to win, your just basicly wasting your life and you could do so much more.
Lol have you ever considered that people ACTUALLY LIKE playing to win?
Not all of the people like to play a Free for all with items on and with stupid stages hazards.
Besides,Melee is a perfect example of a game that casual and competitive like.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Not all of the people like to play a Free for all with items on and with stupid stages hazards.
Hmm, typo, I ment to say if you only play to win. But the Kirby creater basicly don't want losers to cry because they lose.... I think. But EVERY one want's to play to win, that's the way of life I see and it's almost impossible to change that in a fighting game. =/

Grimga

Smash Cadet
They should add Krystal from starfox adventures.
Sparkster from sparkster
Maybe Dixie kong?

I think the 4th one will be super smash clash

MaxfireXSA

Banned via Warnings
I wish Mal could be in the boss in the Adventure, and a unlockable character.

Also, the name of a guy from 'Dig Dug' that should be put into a SSB4, is Taizo Hori.

Taizo has to be like this.

Or this.

Mr.Driller would be put into a SSB4 while Taizo would be put into SSB4, including Jill from 'Drill Dozer'.

Mal would be like a evil wired frame guy with a Smash Symbol on his face to be put into a SSB4.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Yes, he is. His games are made to be extremely simple and easy, but provide some sort of challenge so you feel like you actually accomplished something by beating them.

...yet I like them for the ingenuity each one comes with.

Lovely

Smash Lord
Wait, Is Sakurai The Creator Of Kirby Or Something?
I'm suprised not everyone was informed of this. Back in the GB and NES days he created Kirby, the first game wasn't so good, but Kirby Adventure did wonders to Kirby rep. Plus a lot of things in Melee and Brawl is Kirby related like the song in All Star in Melee was the save point theme in Kirby Super Star, the SSE game play was kind of like Kirby Super Star but with Smash mech.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
As a casual player, I have to admit, on the behalf of all intelligent casual players, that this is one of our biggest flaws/misconceptions, as a general body. Way too many casuals think that playing competitively is so much about winning, that it forsakes the fun factor. . .which is simply stupid. If trying to win makes the game not fun, then I'm addicted to one of the least fun games I've ever played.

Now, now. Let's not resort to name-calling the stage hazards. The Ultimate Chimera will bite your head off if you do, you know.

But yes, this is also a very valid point.

The tricky thing about that is that that doesn't make it the perfect game. Personally, while I loved Melee to pieces, I can barely stand to play it now that I have Brawl. Not a great analogy, but it's like a typewriter. The typewriter's invented, and everyone loves it. Now a word processor comes along, many years later, and a bunch of typewriter-users don't like it, for the interface or whatever, the reason's not important, and although everybody loved that typewriter, there are people who'd never want to switch back to it. Despite the fact that everyone loved the typewriter, it's still not the perfect machine.

Weird analogy, I know, but does it get my point across?

Oh and Ridley for Brawl.Metroid deserves a freaking newcomer.
Aw, man... And you were so agreeable... :(

Just kidding. ;)

Kind of. I really don't like Ridley at all, though.

Riku00

Smash Ace
i just really really really hope they put Riku or Sora in SSB4. but i mainly hope they put in Riku.:idea:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The thing is, are you blind?, Ridley has already been portrayed in Smash Bros. as a huge character. This shows that Sakurai/his team want to portray him that way and that's probably the way he'll stay as long as they're in charge. Sure, Ridley may have canonically been Samus-sized in maybe one game, but in Smash Bros., Ridley has already been depicted as huge. Also, your last sentence made no sense.
Yet at the same time the Melee intro shows Ridley only being slightly taller then Samus.

Alsop, saying "are you blind" makes you look like an idiot.

Also
1)Every Ridley argument has been said before
2)Sakurai and his team are creative. Arguing about a character's size is regtarded because anything can be changed. Loom at Pit.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Yet at the same time the Melee intro shows Ridley only being slightly taller then Samus.

Yet at the same time the perspective in that cutscene is rather iffy, and it's just a re-enactment of a scene from the actual Metroid series. People say that series-canon size doesn't matter in Smash. What's worse is that in Brawl, Ridley's huge size can be considered "Smash canon" since he's shown interacting with characters in their actual Smash-sizes. ¿Comprendes?

Also, I was quoting SmashBrosMike What did you expect?

chansen

Smash Lord

Also
1)Every Ridley argument has been said before
2)Sakurai and his team are creative. Arguing about a character's size is regtarded because anything can be changed. Loom at Pit.
Jeez, at least proofread a post that short.
And every ridley argument won't die, metroid fans are like that:psycho:.

You think sakurai is creative? Puh-leez.
All the characters aren't original, most of the movesets are thought up by the design team (he just approves them), and like that kirby otaku said, he used the same style for SSE as he did for a game that is three generations old >_>.........real creative.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yet at the same time the perspective in that cutscene is rather iffy, and it's just a re-enactment of a scene from the actual Metroid series. People say that series-canon size doesn't matter in Smash. What's worse is that in Brawl, Ridley's huge size can be considered "Smash canon" since he's shown interacting with characters in their actual Smash-sizes. ¿Comprendes?

Also, I was quoting SmashBrosMike What did you expect?
And once again I can say

You just said the same thing again just in a different way. The fact you try to argue a "Smash Canon" is just dumb. What canon is there to Smash. First off, it's non-canonical anyway, so that is void. Secondly, the character appeared in an earlier game much small (much), so saying his size is canon is just wrong.

Not to mention things can be changed. Nothing is permanent. It's not like a story which may be hard to change. There is no story.

Jeez, at least proofread a post that short.
OH WOW. I made a typo. Oh no.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Secondly, the character appeared in an earlier game much small (much), so saying his size is canon is just wrong.
Yes, in a n earlier game (Metroid for the NES) Ridley was diminutive. Then in later games (Super Metroid on up) they made him menacingly big and they haven't gone back to small Ridley since. Even the remake to the old, 1st Metroid had a big Ridley.

I'll say it again, making a small, playabale Ridley is a step backwards.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
You just said the same thing again just in a different way. The fact you try to argue a "Smash Canon" is just dumb. What canon is there to Smash. First off, it's non-canonical anyway, so that is void. Secondly, the character appeared in an earlier game much small (much), so saying his size is canon is just wrong.

Not to mention things can be changed. Nothing is permanent. It's not like a story which may be hard to change. There is no story.
By "Smash-canon", I don't mean anything storywise. I know that Smash is not canon with any of the series included in it, which is why I said you shouldn't use the Melee intro cutscene (not actual in-game footage) as a reference. It's just a reference to an actual scene from a series. Now, if that's all we had to go by, you could say that Sakurai and his team could change their interpretation of Ridley to fit into Smash.

But Ridley appeared in the SSE in Brawl, and he was big. Sakurai and his team appear to have already made the decision to make him big, despite depicting Ridley as smaller in the Melee intro. Bowser is still the biggest character in the playable Smash roster. Luigi is still taller than Mario. Pikachu and Kirby are still short. Things do stay relatively constant in Smash, and Ridley's new established size may be one of them, which could prevent Sakurai/his team from considering him.

Now, you're right, things can change. Sakurai's pretty unpredictable and creative. But he approved of Ridley's size in Brawl. I'm just saying what's more likely to happen. A theory, if you will.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
By "Smash-canon", I don't mean anything storywise. I know that Smash is not canon with any of the series included in it, which is why I said you shouldn't use the Melee intro cutscene (not actual in-game footage) as a reference. It's just a reference to an actual scene from a series. Now, if that's all we had to go by, you could say that Sakurai and his team could change their interpretation of Ridley to fit into Smash.
Hmmm, that's weird. You say
But Ridley appeared in the SSE in Brawl, and he was big. Sakurai and his team appear to have already made the decision to make him big, despite depicting Ridley as smaller in the Melee intro. Bowser is still the biggest character in the playable Smash roster. Luigi is still taller than Mario. Pikachu and Kirby are still short. Things do stay relatively constant in Smash, and Ridley's new established size may be one of them, which could prevent Sakurai/his team from considering him.
OH MY, did he not appear in the cut scene as smaller? Why then does it matter if the newer version has him as bigger. "But.....but....Smash canon". There isn't one. In fact, the whole idea of one falls apart once you realize they changed the canon. The Ridley in Melee was smaller then in Brawl. So they made him bigger, thus changing the canon. Thus, there is no canon. Heck, Giga Bowser defiantly changed (totally different color scheme). The fact of the matter is arguing a canon in a game like Smash does not work, and there is no normalcy in the series. There are also only three games so deriving one with no real story is hard.
Now, you're right, things can change. Sakurai's pretty unpredictable and creative. But he approved of Ridley's size in Brawl. I'm just saying what's more likely to happen. A theory, if you will.
As he approved his size in Melee. It works both ways. The idea of a "Smash canon" does not work.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Hmmm, that's weird. You say

OH MY, did he not appear in the cut scene as smaller? Why then does it matter if the newer version has him as bigger. "But.....but....Smash canon". There isn't one. In fact, the whole idea of one falls apart once you realize they changed the canon. The Ridley in Melee was smaller then in Brawl. So they made him bigger, thus changing the canon. Thus, there is no canon. Heck, Giga Bowser defiantly changed (totally different color scheme). The fact of the matter is arguing a canon in a game like Smash does not work, and there is no normalcy in the series. There are also only three games so deriving one with no real story is hard.

As he approved his size in Melee. It works both ways. The idea of a "Smash canon" does not work.
Ridley wasn't in Melee. That's where your argument ends. There was no model to work with, no model to compare to the size of the other playable characters. The cutscene was an interpretation of a canon scene outside the Smash series, which doesn't matter, according to a bunch of people. Knowing that, for Ridley's actual debut in Smash, Sakurai made him big. Giga Bowser is something exclusive to Smash, I'm not sure what your point in bringing him up is except to support what I'm saying. Sure, his colors may have changed, but a lot of characters' appearances have changed. Their relative sizes, not so much. Giga Bowser is still the same giant mutated Boswer from Melee. There's something that stayed the same.

Ridley wasn't in Melee as far as I'm concerned, for reasons I stated above, and apparently Sakurai felt the same way.

EDIT: In addition, you're saying that things can change in Smash (characters get cut from the roster, for example), but won't accept that Sakurai wanted to change Ridley's size from his previous interpretation. Just curious, do you think that any of the cut characters from Brawl will return in the future? Sakurai included them in Melee. It goes both ways, apparently.

bivunit94

Smash Journeyman
I'll say it again, making a small, playabale Ridley is a step backwards.
Not really, considering that an appearance in Smash would be a huge step forward in itself for Ridley.
The only argument anyone has against Ridley is that he's big...

Can't you just get over his size and embrace the opportunity to have a character with a unique moveset and playstyle?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Not really, considering that an appearance in Smash would be a huge step forward in itself for Ridley.
The only argument anyone has against Ridley is that he's big...

Can't you just get over his size and embrace the opportunity to have a character with a unique moveset and playstyle?
everyonecanhaveauniquemovesetandplaystylegrumblegrumble

Sure, bring on Ridley if possible, but Sakurai's actions seem to be indicating that he won't do it.

bivunit94

Smash Journeyman
everyonecanhaveauniquemovesetandplaystylegrumblegrumble

Sure, bring on Ridley if possible, but Sakurai's actions seem to be indicating that he won't do it.
I agree, everyone could have a unique moveset/playstyle (I read the MYM topics a lot, too - one of my movesets won 25th in MYM2 :)) but what I meant was that Ridley really couldn't be a clone, and being a four-legged fighter with wings...basically, he'd have to be very unique.

Sadly, I also agree that Sakurai is a Ridley-hater. :(

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Ridley wasn't in Melee. That's where your argument ends. There was no model to work with, no model to compare to the size of the other playable characters. The cutscene was an interpretation of a canon scene outside the Smash series, which doesn't matter, according to a bunch of people. Knowing that, for Ridley's actual debut in Smash, Sakurai made him big. Giga Bowser is something exclusive to Smash, I'm not sure what your point in bringing him up is except to support what I'm saying. Sure, his colors may have changed, but a lot of characters' appearances have changed. Their relative sizes, not so much. Giga Bowser is still the same giant mutated Boswer from Melee. There's something that stayed the same.
He was in Melee. In a cut scene. One Sakurai approved. Your argument ended a few post back.

The fact of the matter is you haven't given any real support that there is a canon. Ridley has been in Smash. He was smaller. There is no canon.

What you are arguing has NO backing. Ridley was big in Brawl. AND.......................................Exactly. All you have done is asserted that there is some kind of magical canon Sakurai cares about. There obviously isn't because there is no normalcy in the series. Heck, it's a series about putting Ninterndo characters in and fighting.

Look at the Giga Bowser example. The fact of the matter is he look quite different between the two games. That was the point. IHere are some links.
Brawl
Melee
Notice here how both the color and sizes are different. Giga Bowser was about 2.5 Marios taller. In Brawl, he is probably 3-4. A good increase in size. His color scheme is also drastically different. Giga Bowser was in Melee, although not playable (without hacks at least). See the difference between two games.

There is no evidence of any kind of canon in the game, yet you assert one with no backing. Your only reason for there being one is that Ridley is big in Brawl thus he'll always be big. There is no reason it is this way. Your argument has been based on the idea that Smash has some kind of canon; thus Ridley must always be big. However, there is no evidence of a canon. According to you, the scene in Melee does not count, so how can there be a canon with only one piece of work?

Truth is, there is no canon.

EDIT: While I'm here.........

Arguing size is a flawed argument. By saying this you also say that Sakurai and the developers of the game could have no way to resize the character, or find a system that would work.

Take a look at this videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiKbFLR3iSM
I was unsuccessful in finding a good Servebot one, but are this video shows, you can can have big characters, and it can work. "Oh, but Smash isn't like these games." Don't you think I know that. The point is that it can be done. In Tatsunoko vs Capcom, the big characters can't have a partner. In Smash, they can have other weaknesses (such as being easier to hit). It is not something that can't be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom