• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Oy. I guess "canon" was definitely the wrong word to use here. Better example of what I'm trying to portray: Kirby!

Kirby is supposed to be eight inches tall. That's pretty small when you put him next to people like Mario, Link, and Samus. However, he's consistently, throughout three games, been roughly half of those characters' sizes. That's just the way Sakurai chose to portray him in-game. Now, I don't have exact measurements for you. His size may have slightly increased or decreased over time. Hopefully you see what I'm trying to point out here. Once a character debuts in the game, they're very likely to stick to a "normal" size relative to the rest of the characters. That's what I'm inferring will happen to Ridley; I'm aware that he has no precedent as a boss character that people want to be playable. But characters do roughly stick to one size once they appear in gameplay. This applies to characters who have been in more than one game so far. The reason I say that the Melee cutscene is excluded is because it's not in-game footage, so Ridley's in-game size was not solidified. Ridley did make an appearance in-game in Brawl, and I just think it's more likely that Sakurai won't shrink him. Nothing against Ridley, however.

EDIT: I'm not arguing about the "canonicity" of the Smash series storyline, or even against big characters in general.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
In my opinion....

There is a canon now. It's the SSE. And I feel Sakurai is going to make that the Smash Canon now.

Furthermore, I feel it will continue to be focused more on 1-Player as long as Sakurai keeps directing it.

Ridley has been portrayed as a major boss. I can't see him being playable in the future, and only because of this (well, actually, I think this is why his size won't change).

bivunit94

Smash Journeyman
Well, anyone want to keep this from becoming another Ridley debate thread?

What else is there to talk about...third parties maybe?

I say Megaman is a shoe-in. Aside from him...I really don't know.

MaxfireXSA

Banned via Warnings
Well, anyone want to keep this from becoming another Ridley debate thread?

What else is there to talk about...third parties maybe?
Ridley will be still a boss in SSB4 Adventure Mode. But third parties, I was talking about which characters or features need to be put into a SSB4, and we can talk about what boss could they make in SSB4 Adventure Mode, or what would the Adventure Mode would look like.

As I was saying,

It will be cool if Adventure Mode would include Skill Talisman, where if you have a Skill Talisman, you gain skill according to the talisman like Technique, which is you have Technique Talisman that you have. And a talisman where you gain powers called Power Talisman, where if you have Power Talisman, you gain powers according to the talisman like Fire, which is you have Fire Talisman

And in SSB4 Adventure Mode, it will be cool if you don't use the stickers to make your characters powerful(just like in Brawl), but you can beat up the enemies, if your character beat up an enemy, they gain an experience points, if the character have enough experience points to level them up, they're leveled up, for example, if they have enough experience points to get to Lvl.2, they're at Level 2, that means you gain attribute points for one of the character that are leveled up, and you can add the attribute points to they're attributes after you clear the stage, or you failed the stage where you cannot continue and it will be GAME OVER, after you add the character's attribute that are leveled up.

Last but not least, it will include, Crystal Keys, that means you can get it after you beat the bosses.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
It will be cool if Adventure Mode would include Skill Talisman, where if you have a Skill Talisman, you gain skill according to the talisman like Technique, which is you have Technique Talisman that you have. And a talisman where you gain powers called Power Talisman, where if you have Power Talisman, you gain powers according to the talisman like Fire, which is you have Fire Talisman

And in SSB4 Adventure Mode, it will be cool if you don't use the stickers to make your characters powerful(just like in Brawl), but you can beat up the enemies, if your character beat up an enemy, they gain an experience points, if the character have enough experience points to level them up, they're leveled up, for example, if they have enough experience points to get to Lvl.2, they're at Level 2, that means you gain attribute points for one of the character that are leveled up, and you can add the attribute points to they're attributes after you clear the stage, or you failed the stage where you cannot continue and it will be GAME OVER, after you add the character's attribute that are leveled up.

Last but not least, it will include, Crystal Keys, that means you can get it after you beat the bosses.
That doesn't sound too bad an idea, yet still doesn't sound right for Adventure mode. I don't like the concept of having to grind on the one-player mode exciting at all, to be frank. :(

Supersmasher10310

Smash Cadet
I'll go ahead and answer these questions:

1). What new franchises will be represented?
Can't say for certain, but I would like to see Golden Sun, Animal Crossing, Panel de Pon, Megaman, and Crash Bandicoot.
2). What expansions of existing franchises will occur?
I think every series save for Zelda, Kirby, Sonic, Metal Gear, Ice Climber, and Gyromite will have increased expansions, save for maybe Kid Icarus.

3). Which one to three characters should be cut?
If I had to cut anyone, it would be Wolf who would be a costume for Fox.
4). Which character deserves to be de-cloned the most?
Ganondorf, Toon Link, Falco, and Lucas to an extent.
5). What new features should be added?
Tag battle, Board the Platforms, Trophy Catch, and personal Break the Targets
6). Who're YOUR top three most wanted character choices?
Tom Nook, Mewtwo, and Krystal
7). Who would you rather have be the director?
I'm not sure. I'm iffy on Sakurai after some of the mistakes made in Brawl. I think it should be someone familiar with 2D fighting games who can balance competition and casual play.

Paper Mario is not a main part of the series like Toon Link is for the Zelda series.
God **** I have not heard Crash Bandicoot's name for a LONG time. The only thing I have against hime being in the game is that it would be way to ackward, and his games have seriously gone down the tubes. As far as the Ridley argument goes is that if a Character gains enough support/popularity, Sakurai will at least look into that Character.

Nick The Potato

Smash Apprentice
Uhh...

I nominate Travis Touchdown...
*Hides*

Actually...if SSB4 starts in development/consideration around 2010 I believe Travis Touchdown has a shot.

Ooh...and Tom Nook.
...and wolf stays...he's hardly a clone...his smash attacks are pretty unique.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
God **** I have not heard Crash Bandicoot's name for a LONG time. The only thing I have against hime being in the game is that it would be way to ackward, and his games have seriously gone down the tubes. As far as the Ridley argument goes is that if a Character gains enough support/popularity, Sakurai will at least look into that Character.
I wouldn't say that Crash has gone down the tubes. Aside from some confusion, I enjoyed Mind Over Mutant.

As for this whole size thing and smash canon, I have heard that some of the models are not the same size when you compare their Melee counterparts on a Melee stage. If this is true, size is not necessarily consistent.

trev94

Smash Journeyman
crash Bandicoot Should Be In Ssb4, I Hope The Nintendo Staffs Didn't Get Any Stress By Making Ssb4, Or Super Smash Bros Battle.
Omg Y Crasch Hell No If There Had To Be Another Person From Sony It Would Be Ratch not Crasch........o God

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
Since I do not feel the need to give constructive conversation to the thread after quite time, I shall troll and ask some questions regarding the next Smash Bros. title:

-
1. No More Heros, Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment
2. Star Fox, F-Zero
3. Olimar and ROB
4. Falco
5. A different Story-mode 6-8 players instead of four
6. Travis Touchdown, Krystal, and Ridley
7. It should be a joint promotion, so we could have Sakurai, Miyamoto, the guy who made Medal Gear, Sonic's creator, and possibly the guy who created Legend of Zelda, for storyline purposes.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Since I do not feel the need to give constructive conversation to the thread after quite time, I shall troll and ask some questions regarding the next Smash Bros. title:

1: Panel de Pon, Golden Sun, Animal Crossing, etc
2: Mario, DK, Zelda, Metroid, etc.
3: Wolf, Lucario
4: Ganondorf
5: Better online, a less repetitive SSE
6: Bowser Jr, King K. Rool, Ridley
7: Mmac

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Everyone wants ridley, but how in the world would you make a moveset for him and which stages would even be big enough for him. He's about 10x the size of every cast member.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Everyone wants ridley, but how in the world would you make a moveset for him and which stages would even be big enough for him. He's about 10x the size of every cast member.
Look at Bowser. He originally was about the size of Mario mushroomed, and in recent games he's HUGE.

Same with Ridley. He was originally the size of Samus, and in recent games, he's HUGE.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Ridley is actually fairly small by boss standards, especially Metroid bosses, where he is about the smallest. It's odd that he in particular gets this "too big" issue when other characters around his size don't really have the same concerns. Look at K.Rool for instance. No one complains that he's too big, but he's twice DK's size most of the time.

Illomatic

Smash Apprentice
please, please, PLEASE! do not take out wolf
hes so sick, i was hoping so bad for him to be in brawl and when i first saw him i was so happy
so yeah, i'd like the current roster, along with krystal from star fox, black and white colors for yoshi, knuckles or shadow, and mega man maybe
and fix the laggy wifi, but thats more on nintendo to update the dreaded friend code system

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@flyinfilipino:I'll stop arguing, but your problem is there is no/not enough evidence to back you claim. For every incidence where Sakurai follows you logic, he breaks against it at others. This is the problem that you have not overcome. The Kirby example, while a good start, is weak when you realize that all the large characters have grown.

Now, I'll take McSnapples post and try to make my best predictions.

While I'm hoping for Golden Sun, I'm thinking Sin and Punishment and maybe Punch-Out. There are still new franchises that will come out.

If we are talking about which ones will get more characters, I'd look at Donkey Kong and Metroid.

I think the third party characters are the only ones who risk a cut. Otherwise, expect the old 35.

Toon Link, if only to give him the Hurricane Spin.

Personally, I'd love to see Critical Hits al-la Team Fortress 2. A tag mode (similar to Soul Calibers) might be fun, having a team of characters rather then just one.

Hmmmmm
Issac
Little Mac
Krystal
There are others, but these are the ones I like the most.

What!? Sakurai did an amazing job. Why would you even ask (also I predict he will be the director of the nest game, but that's an easy one).

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
@flyinfilipino:I'll stop arguing, but your problem is there is no/not enough evidence to back you claim. For every incidence where Sakurai follows you logic, he breaks against it at others. This is the problem that you have not overcome. The Kirby example, while a good start, is weak when you realize that all the large characters have grown.
I'll drop it too, since there's nothing to really argue about. It was just a theory. Like I said earlier, to make Ridley regular Smash cast-size from his Brawl appearance would require a drastic change, one with no precedent so far in the Smash series. It could happen if they felt like doing it, but none of the other ~21 veterans have strayed too far from their initial debut size. That is all.

Krystal for SSB4! Krystal-mas! That's what I was waiting for around this time last year from the Dojo.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Super Mario
• Mario
• Luigi
• Peach
• Bowser
• Bowser, Jr.

Donkey Kong
• Donkey Kong
• Diddy & Dixie
• King K. Rool

The Legend of Zelda
• Link
• Zelda/Sheik
• Ganondorf
• Young or Toon Link
• Vaati

Metroid
• Samus/Zero Suit Samus
• Sylux

Yoshi
• Yoshi

Kirby
• Kirby
• Meta Knight
• King Dedede

StarFox
• Fox
• Falco
• Wolf

Pokémon
• Pikachu
• Jigglypuff
• Mewtwo
• Lucario
• 5th Gen Pokémon

F-Zero
• Captain Falcon
• Black Shadow

Earthbound
• Ness
• Lucas
• Mother 4 hero (?)*

Fire Emblem
• Marth
• Ike
• Future FE Lord

Ice Climber
• Ice Climbers

Game & Watch
• Mr. Game & Watch

Wario
• Wario

Kid Icarus
• Pit

Pikmin
• Olimar

Robot
• R.O.B.

Sonic the Hedgehog
• Sonic

Metal Gear
• Snake

Mega Man
• Mega Man

Punch-Out!
• Little Mac

Golden Sun
• Isaac

Animal Crossing
• Animal Crosser

Sin & Punishment
• Saki

Captain Rainbow
• Captain Rainbow

Advance Wars
• Andy

New Assist Trophies
Rosalina (Super Mario Galaxy)
Wart (Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic)
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land)
Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejō)
Lip (Panel De Pon)
The Twinrova Sisters (LoZ: Ocarina of Time)
Midna (LoZ: TP)
Weavel (Metroid Prime: Hunters)
Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo)
John Raimi (Geist)
Ridley (Metroid)
King Hippo (Punch-Out!)
The Masked Man (Mother 3)
Captain Syrup (Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3)
Satoru (Kousoku Card Battle: Card Hero DS)
Proto Man (Mega Man)
Mii (Wii)

*Even though the director of the Mother series said he wouldn't do a Mother 4, that doesn't mean Nintendo can't release a Mother sequel with a new director on the forefront.

cba

Smash Master

1. UMM idk.
2. Resident Evil
3. None, but unfortunately there will be some Chars. cut. i think TL, Jiggs, G&W (I THINK they would, not that i want too)
4. Ganondorf, lucas,
5. BETTER online service.
6. ANY char from RE(Leon, Claire), someone from METROID, i would like at least a nemesis from every Franchise protagonist.
7. Any1 but sakurai cause his Favoritism is annoying and not fair.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace

1 Golden Sun, Street Fighters, Mega-Man, Bomber-Man
2 Pokemon will change, F-zero +1, Sonic +1/2, Fire Emblem +1, Star Fox +1
3 Toon Link, Falco, Lucario for Mewtwo
4 Ganon
5 mini-games ala mario party
6 Ken/Ryu, Geno, Bomber-Man (assuming Sonic stays in, of course. Otherwise Sonic takes Geno's spot)
7 Sakurai did a fantastic job doing exactly what he wanted to do. That said, I hope he considers the desires of those who want more than casual play as well (IE tripping ftl)

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Back there, I'm correcting you on Mother 4.

No. Shigesato Itoi has complete control over the Mother series. If you've beaten Mother 3, you will see why there won't be a 4th. Similarly, beat EarthBound to see why there's a 3rd.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
[/color]

5 Landing dodges, mini-games
Wouldn't landing dodges be overpowered? Like it would be an L-cancel but automatically be a spot dodge that a person cannot take advantage of your landing lag at all to dash grab you or hit you. I suppose if everyone can do it, it will be more balanced but still I can see if landing dodges happen a person can continuously keep wailing on someone and the other person would have a harder time making a come back.

CAP.comKnyte

Smash Rookie
Super Mario
• Mario
• Luigi
• Peach
• Bowser
• Bowser, Jr.

Donkey Kong
• Donkey Kong
• Diddy & Dixie
• King K. Rool

The Legend of Zelda
• Link
• Zelda/Sheik
• Ganondorf
• Young or Toon Link
• Vaati

Metroid
• Samus/Zero Suit Samus
• Sylux

Yoshi
• Yoshi

Kirby
• Kirby
• Meta Knight
• King Dedede

StarFox
• Fox
• Falco
• Wolf

Pokémon
• Pikachu
• Jigglypuff
• Mewtwo
• Lucario
• 5th Gen Pokémon

F-Zero
• Captain Falcon
• Black Shadow

Earthbound
• Ness
• Lucas
• Mother 4 hero (?)*

Fire Emblem
• Marth
• Ike
• Future FE Lord

Ice Climber
• Ice Climbers

Game & Watch
• Mr. Game & Watch

Wario
• Wario

Kid Icarus
• Pit

Pikmin
• Olimar

Robot
• R.O.B.

Sonic the Hedgehog
• Sonic

Metal Gear
• Snake

Mega Man
• Mega Man

Punch-Out!
• Little Mac

Golden Sun
• Isaac

Animal Crossing
• Animal Crosser

Sin & Punishment
• Saki

Captain Rainbow
• Captain Rainbow

Advance Wars
• Andy

New Assist Trophies
Rosalina (Super Mario Galaxy)
Wart (Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic)
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land)
Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejō)
Lip (Panel De Pon)
The Twinrova Sisters (LoZ: Ocarina of Time)
Midna (LoZ: TP)
Weavel (Metroid Prime: Hunters)
Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo)
John Raimi (Geist)
Ridley (Metroid)
King Hippo (Punch-Out!)
The Masked Man (Mother 3)
Captain Syrup (Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3)
Satoru (Kousoku Card Battle: Card Hero DS)
Proto Man (Mega Man)
Mii (Wii)

*Even though the director of the Mother series said he wouldn't do a Mother 4, that doesn't mean Nintendo can't release a Mother sequel with a new director on the forefront.
Well obviously someone put a lot of thought into this.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Back there, I'm correcting you on Mother 4.

No. Shigesato Itoi has complete control over the Mother series. If you've beaten Mother 3, you will see why there won't be a 4th. Similarly, beat EarthBound to see why there's a 3rd.
Just because Itoi controls the MOTHER series, it doesn't mean there can never be a MOTHER 4. Itoi has said that he would not mind be the player for the next MOTHER game, if there will ever be one.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob

Ouendan, Animal Crossing, Custom Robo, Megaman.

Pokemon will gain a 5th gen. F-Zero should get a new rep.

Lucas.

Toon Link.

Aerial Grabs.

Ouendan cheer squad.
Sora.
Megaman.

Sakurai.
There you go. :).

These aren't exactly my favourite choices, but they are what I think SSB4 will probably contain.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
Wouldn't landing dodges be overpowered? Like it would be an L-cancel but automatically be a spot dodge that a person cannot take advantage of your landing lag at all to dash grab you or hit you. I suppose if everyone can do it, it will be more balanced but still I can see if landing dodges happen a person can continuously keep wailing on someone and the other person would have a harder time making a come back.
yeah, maybe I'm just sore about getting fsmashed/punished by them.

SirKibble

Smash Champion

1) I see it as being quite likely that we'll at least get reps from Golden Sun (Isaac), Custom Robo (Ray whatever), and Mega Man (guess who...)

2) Pokemon'll get a new rep from the newest generation, more than likely. Fire Emblem has a very good chance at getting a new lord, too. Beyond those two, the franchise that's probably got the most chance at expansion is Mario.

3) No one needs to be cut.

4) Ganondorf, easy. There is NO basis for his moveset to be what it is. At least clones like Falco and Toon Link make sense.

5) Obviously-needed improvements to online play and the Stage Builder aside... An aerial grab/throw system would be awesome, and would make for some insane grapples in the air. Besides that, the biggest thing I can think of is a longer, more elaborate, more involved Adventure Mode. The SSE was too short for my sincere liking, and was a little haphazardly construed, though the concept was very worthwhile.

6) Mega Man, Bomberman, Ray 01

7) I'm more than happy to have Sakurai keep directing the Smash Bros. games.

bivunit94

Smash Journeyman
Golden Sun, Animal Crossing, Megaman
Most of them...
Toon Link, Toon Link, Toon Link!!!
Ganondorf!
SSE 2, better online.
Megaman, Ridley, and really ANY Animal Crossing character.
Sakurai? I don't get why people want him gone.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
They could improve on the SSE maybe. They could have more stagebuilder backgrounds, possibly 10 because the three are so boring. And definitley more stagebuilder parts! I think you should be able to download your own music but not have it online, because of ratings. And try to make the game have competitive stats like meele so we are not going down 1 game to have the competitve scene.

Also, they should have snake as old snake from MGS4

Nick The Potato

Smash Apprentice
1. No More Heros, Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment
2. Star Fox, F-Zero
3. Olimar and ROB
4. Falco
5. A different Story-mode 6-8 players instead of four
6. Travis Touchdown, Krystal, and Ridley
7. It should be a joint promotion, so we could have Sakurai, Miyamoto, the guy who made Medal Gear, Sonic's creator, and possibly the guy who created Legend of Zelda, for storyline purposes.

You picked Travis Touchdown. I love you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom