• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
^ desh sucks bawls.

so desh how do you take on link?

also guys today i was playing Doc vs. Y.Link. ?

is this a counterpick or something, match took forever..

Desh

Smash Ace
its not a CP,
but its a stupid match if the yl is bad?
or good? depends on how you define a good YL lol.
if he camps you of course the match is gonna take forever, getting through YL's **** takes forever and a day, although once you get past his spam its a relataviley easy match up imo.
easy to kill , a bunch of options out of grabs, he can be uair juggled, easy gimp.
idk.

i hate facing link with doc.
imo its like 65-35 for link.
his fair can outspace your whole moveset as doc, and he can match your spam.
except link can nair through all of the pills. >_> (i proved it when me and andy switched chars, i played link, he played doc, i told him to try to camp me. epic fail.)

bombs are annoyingly tricky to deal with if you're dead set on caping them instead of just avoiding them =p
he can edge gaurd doc relatively easily with nair/fair/upb/projectiles.
but you can edge gaurd him just as easily.

really i find a campy link to be stupidly hard, because he actually can camp for a while regardless of his speed, and if you get through, he has the ability to outspace you.

aside from your spam being matched by links, and the fact that he can outspace/prioritize you,
its not that bad if you can get a grab in =/ .

this is what i've deducted from playing like the only 4 links on the EC of north america lol >_>

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
if link having a long reach, being able to go through pills, and having a projectile makes him 65/35, then im going to lol if you play a good mewtwo. >.>

Desh

Smash Ace
eh, 65/35 is a huge stretch, its probably about even lol,
i said 65/35 at first from my dislike of link, and then when i went into looking at the match up it didnt seem as bad lol.

probably like 55/45
maybe even,
idk. i just dont like it. like freaking marth with stuff to chuck at you,

oh and i hate being tech chased by link.
gayest thing on earth. lol

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
are you serious.
i think doc > link.
Doc vs. Link is like a combo video even if the Link DI's.
I hate campy Links.

Desh

Smash Ace
@ sotsbby <3
if its a combo vid for doc its cuz the doc is getting grabs on you easily lol. =p

@ jona
i dont like this too =/
i play luigi for like hours everyday lol =p

low %'s = dont expect to hit him more than once without being hit with a nair or something.
this is completely opiniotive but dogy might disagree when i say you cant really combo him when its at a useful time,
@ low %'s you cant combo him
@ mid %' you cant really combo him unless he decides not to jump out / do anything.
@ high %'s why the hell are you trying to combo luigi. freak kill the *****.

the match up is pretty much even though XD
im just complaining about luigi cuz im in the process of making a combo vid, and i play luigi a lot more than other chars =/ .

anyways, killing luigi isnt hard at all, just dont expect any **** combos or anything while doing it (unless they screw up bad)
you can dthrow>**** him
or you can just be gay and throw him off wich is essentially a kill at any %.
if you have a hard time edge gaurding luigi than why are you playing doc XD
theres really not much to this match up, hit him, throw him, kill him, =/

edit: yay for my thread getting stickied ^_^

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
fox is easy for doc. =/
idk why people find it hard.
you can cc dsmash/grab a waveshine, i've done it to raynex.
you can cc grab his best approach options
hes super easy to edge gaurd,
hes combo-able
he can get 0-death'd if you tech chase and be gay,
really if you grab him its not hard to take a stock.
what does he have against you besides speed =/

he cant really camp you, he needs to approach just as much as you do.
he cant uthrow uair,
being edge gaurded vs fox really ISNT that bad.
shine spikes are avoidable. very very avoidable.>_>
not to mention tech-able.
all of his other methods of edgegaurding arent that much better than the rest of the cast imho.

so really, his grabs arent that great against doc, he cant really approach you with out taking risk of getting grabbed, wich can lose him a stock.

idk, thats just me, i've never found fox to be a hard match up, i play raynex a lot, and of course i lose, but its more because hes straight up better than me than because fox ***** doc.
I completely agree. I mean there's no doubt, fox can be a tough opponent anytime; he's a **** good character and players with good tech and skill can really mess you up; but in my opinion the matchup is as close to 50/50 as you're going to get with a top tier. No one's saying fox is easy, but they're saying alot of his strengths and weaknesses align with doc's such that its alot easier than, say,with Marth.

Im pretty sure my man desh lists above almost every reason i can think of why it's a much easier matchup. The biggest obstacles, I think, to doc against a fox are being able to A) speed up your movement and play to keep at the fox's pace, B) slow down your thinking so that you can make sense of all the spacey insanity, and C) apply both of those to your playstyle so that you can adapt accordingly and make use of your copious anti-fox repertoire.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
are you serious.
i think doc > link.
Doc vs. Link is like a combo video even if the Link DI's.
I hate campy Links.
I think i'm with you on this one. I have a partner who plays a **** good link (I'll ask his opinion too), and while our matches are usually somewhat even, I think doc still has a slight advantage. Link is nowhere close to marth in my opinion. Okay,he has a sword, but it's shorter, doesn't move as fast, and has fewer options in general. I do find myself getting juggled and tech-chased easily with link, but bombs and projectiles are rarely a problem. Proper spacing, use of pills to pressure/intercept, and the cape all do a helluva job at messing up link's projectile game. He obviously has a huge advantage over doc in grabrange, which I think a good link can do alot with, but he's only really difficult to edgeguard if you dont listen to everything Stos says. >.> Which originally I didn't.

Also, chaingrabs work pretty **** well, not to mention dthrow--->fair? at certain percentages, obviously, but I found dthrow sets up for all kinds of fun throughout a match against link.

HiIH

Smash Lord
I've never played the Doc Vs Link Matchup as Doc... as Link... yeah.

Jabs stop doc cold as Link. If the Link wants to be gay, this can go either way. If the Link spaces you and is patient, you're gonna have trouble getting to him. Doc gets grabbed by Link, there's a few things he can do to you, like Dthrow>Bair>Regrab>dthrow>utilt>Uair juggles.

I feel like it pretty much comes down to who's more patient. The Link will PROBABLY do something besides Jab and Nair (which can keep Doc off of him). I haven't played this match one on one on a decent Doc since the last time Dogy was here, so I may be forgetting something or remembering it wrong, but some things that I noticed.

-Link's Dsmash is CCable, and punishable. As Link I personally like Jabbing into Dsmashes. Whenever it got CC'd, Dogy would WD back in and Dsmash me while I was still in lag.
-I would get CGed from 0-around 20 something percent, until he Fsmashed me. That's how I remember him ending it anyway.
...I can't really remember anything too interesting, other than Doc can't really fall through Link with Dairs, because of the disjointed uair.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
fox is easy for doc. =/
idk why people find it hard.
you can cc dsmash/grab a waveshine, i've done it to raynex.
you can cc grab his best approach options
hes super easy to edge gaurd,
hes combo-able
he can get 0-death'd if you tech chase and be gay,
really if you grab him its not hard to take a stock.
what does he have against you besides speed =/

he cant really camp you, he needs to approach just as much as you do.
he cant uthrow uair,
being edge gaurded vs fox really ISNT that bad.
shine spikes are avoidable. very very avoidable.>_>
not to mention tech-able.
all of his other methods of edgegaurding arent that much better than the rest of the cast imho.

so really, his grabs arent that great against doc, he cant really approach you with out taking risk of getting grabbed, wich can lose him a stock.

idk, thats just me, i've never found fox to be a hard match up, i play raynex a lot, and of course i lose, but its more because hes straight up better than me than because fox ***** doc.
Desh, regardless of what has worked on me in the past...its impossible to CC a waveshine.

Shine CAN be CCed, but it still has enough hitstun there for me to get an usmash on you. I probably failed something, lol. Oh, and I think Doc>Link AND Doc>Luigi.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Doc-Link.

When it comes down to the projectile war, what happens is that Link actually loses this in the long run. However, it's in the long run, because although he actually gets out produced by doc, Link can cover more options with his projectiles than doc. When it comes down to it, Doc can effectively stop Link from using his projectiles offensively, but Link can actually stop alot of Doc's offense all together with projectiles (Mike G was showing me some things, lol). Doc can still approach with pills are normal, all he has to deal with is a long range that's not Marth.

When they get closer, Link gets initiative because of range. This isnt anything Doc isnt use to. The problem comes from that, unlike most characters with a big reach advantage over Doc, Link isnt pressed to stay in on Doc to use his range. At any given time, Link can simply back out into projectile range. Link's smashes can all be punished, straight up. If link tries to get fancy and use u.smash while doc's on the ground, doc can actually duck it. (lol). Link cant do too much from a grab, usual business. I dont know if d.throw d.air is ever guarenteed. (Like, i seriously dont know).

But once doc gets into his range, it gets kinda interesting. Link cant to anything that gets him grabbed, because that leads to a chaingrab that ends with either a combo or a f.smash. He has to deal with Doc's ground game which is, in large, unpunishable by link, except for if Doc constantly commits to shield.

Link has no real problem being above Doc in the air or below him on the ground, seeing as he has a big disjointed hitbox that goes both ways. Being above him dissolves into a guessing game of "Will Link D.air or not" because if Doc avoids it, Link gets punished. If doc doesnt, well, Doc doesnt.

And then if one of them gets knocked off the edge, they're pretty much done. Link has a better chance of getting back than Doc, but both of their chances are pretty ****in bad.

**edit**

-looks up-
Oh yeah, you cant CC a shine. You can just change the distance you travel by DI. And you can only shorten it. Which is bad.

Doc Luigi? I can only tell you how I think that goes, I havent played a good luigi in forever. And when I did play them (ram/sheikssbm), i had no real clue wtf I was doing.

otg

Smash Master
Ok, so I was enjoying my post count at 1337 so much I didn't want to post but I have to interject here:

i think fox is a pretty bad match up for doc.
i went fox on otg today and i did alright, actually should have beat him like once. i was up 3 stocks to 1,
but hes just so gay and i ended up holding on the ledge and just falling and shooting lasers to my death.
after that one i got *****. so idk
otg is realllllly gay tho
Wow, this is the dumbest thing I've ever read. So in one match, you get me down to one stock using your Fox and all of a sudden Fox is Doc's hardest matchup? What about the other 50 matches where you got 3 stocked? Drawing comparisons to the overall metagame based on one match against your friend is NOT the best way to draw conclusions.

I do not find Fox to be that hard of a matchup, atleast in comparison to the big 3 (Sheik/Marth/Falcon) but this doesn't mean that it's easy. In tournament, most Fox mains I've faced will switch to Marth after the first round because of the evil **** Doc does to Fox. Play patiently, pick and choose your moves, and DO NOT rush in blindly and I think Doc does very well.

At top levels of play, Doc gets completely outclassed however, don't give me any bull**** otherwise. Fighting PC in tourney last week was a big eye opener for what Doc is capable of at top level play: Not much.

Also IMO it goes: Sheik > Marth > Falcon. Marth might be the hardest on paper but he's def easier to handle and control than Sheik... who just completely outcamps/outranges/outspeeds/outedgeguards/techchases/ everything better than you. At least with Marth, you can control the pace of the match somewhat through Pill Spam, no matter how effective. Also, yeah Falcon can **** Doc hard, but Doc can distribute the pain back just as badly, especially since Doc's priority is overall >>>> Falcon's.

And now, I return back to real life.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
what are you talking about OTG. you are obviously wrong if Jona says so. I think we all established that he's by far better than all of us here.

otg

Smash Master
what are you talking about OTG. you are obviously wrong if Jona says so. I think we all established that he's by far better than all of us here.
Bah of course how could I be so foolish. All hail King Jona.

YOU GUYS WANTED HIM BEST DOC, YOU DEAL WITH IT.

Next time I know not to let others do my job.

Ok I take back my statement, Jona needs to get assassinated.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
DONE!

I make a motion to have Kobe Bryant instated as the best doc. I mean, he is the ****in poster boy for us now.

ONE MORE KOBE AND HE'S DONE.

You know you hear it all the time now. (Or atleast I do).

Niko45

Smash Master
On FD and Dreamland Doc is actually nasty vs fox. The other neutrals fox beasts on plus most counterpicks are almost all low ceiling/moving stages so that matchup is def advantage fox. Jona's logic is so out of control I don't even know what to say.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
other neutrals.

There's YS, which pretty much should be banned. That or Campneria.

There's BF, which doesnt have a low ceiling
FoD, which contrary to popular belief doesnt really have a low ceiling.
And stadium, which is just stadium. Stay off the top of **** and you're ok.

CPs, you've got KJ64, which is pretty ****in tall. Japes, which has the highest ceiling in the game. Floats and Cruise that move, sure. Mute city, which works wonders against runaway foxes (works wonders against FFers in general since it's more-often-than-not flat). Brinstar, which is kinda hit or miss, depending on how well you can control a stage. Campneria, which actually isnt bad so long as you dont fight fox on top of the fin. Green greens... ew. and that's everything that is, in large, legal.

Im still waiting to go to a tourney and play great bay in doubles.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
how are we gonna pester kobe for doc tips then? =[

actually...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Py1-tlMgrk
his combo video

though his opponents had a lil bit of west coast DI [seems like they weren't even touching their controller] it's still pretty beast. We need to look at how he sets up his combos, they always seem to come out of nowhere.

Desh

Smash Ace
Desh, regardless of what has worked on me in the past...its impossible to CC a waveshine.

Shine CAN be CCed, but it still has enough hitstun there for me to get an usmash on you. I probably failed something, lol. Oh, and I think Doc>Link AND Doc>Luigi.
well i mean assuming a fox isnt doing like perfect waveshines, you can do it =/.
i did it loads against pretty much any fox i played, although theyre not as good as you and are even more likely to mess up, and im almost positive i had done it with m2k when i was practicing w/ him =[

but yeah, it probably shouldnt happen, but it does =p
people are gonna mess up right? no ones perfect XD
although banking on someone messing up is just dumb LOL.

yeah doc > luigi
but no way doc > link.
maybe = link.
but no wai.

he can tech chase regrab you , once he gets you in the air hes like bloody marth. >_> he can keep you from landing for days, he can out space you, his projectiles cover more and are imo more usefull than docs pills in doc vs link match up.

everyone else i've talked to besides stos and andy agree =p

freaking media studies is the softest class lol.

Desh

Smash Ace
Doc-Link.

When it comes down to the projectile war, what happens is that Link actually loses this in the long run. However, it's in the long run, because although he actually gets out produced by doc, Link can cover more options with his projectiles than doc. When it comes down to it, Doc can effectively stop Link from using his projectiles offensively, but Link can actually stop alot of Doc's offense all together with projectiles (Mike G was showing me some things, lol). Doc can still approach with pills are normal, all he has to deal with is a long range that's not Marth.

When they get closer, Link gets initiative because of range. This isnt anything Doc isnt use to. The problem comes from that, unlike most characters with a big reach advantage over Doc, Link isnt pressed to stay in on Doc to use his range. At any given time, Link can simply back out into projectile range. Link's smashes can all be punished, straight up. If link tries to get fancy and use u.smash while doc's on the ground, doc can actually duck it. (lol). Link cant do too much from a grab, usual business. I dont know if d.throw d.air is ever guarenteed. (Like, i seriously dont know).

But once doc gets into his range, it gets kinda interesting. Link cant to anything that gets him grabbed, because that leads to a chaingrab that ends with either a combo or a f.smash. He has to deal with Doc's ground game which is, in large, unpunishable by link, except for if Doc constantly commits to shield.

Link has no real problem being above Doc in the air or below him on the ground, seeing as he has a big disjointed hitbox that goes both ways. Being above him dissolves into a guessing game of "Will Link D.air or not" because if Doc avoids it, Link gets punished. If doc doesnt, well, Doc doesnt.

And then if one of them gets knocked off the edge, they're pretty much done. Link has a better chance of getting back than Doc, but both of their chances are pretty ****in bad.

**edit**

-looks up-
Oh yeah, you cant CC a shine. You can just change the distance you travel by DI. And you can only shorten it. Which is bad.

Doc Luigi? I can only tell you how I think that goes, I havent played a good luigi in forever. And when I did play them (ram/sheikssbm), i had no real clue wtf I was doing.
agreed 100%, but if you look at it how you explained it, link has a *slight* or maybe decent advantage if he plays smart and not fancy, not a large advantage, but really doc doesnt have much to go on unless he gets in, wich is with link at least half of the battle =/ . and again if the link isnt stupid he can just run away once doc does get close.

-.-

**** double post.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
D:

i wake up and im betrayed? and assassinated??? lol cool

anyways i said that fox was doc seemed hard because all fox has to do is space and its over..

max were gonna play and im gonna be fox and were gonna record it and then ya. lol

i know doc can **** the balls of fox because of the gayness but its not that bad.

idk dont listen to me. i suck but were still gonna record that ish max

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
ok so we're making kyu puff the best doc because he won't upload my doc vids if we don't. -_-

Desh

Smash Ace
LOL.
but kobe...
=[
vids != kobe.

srry<3
xD
kso i just got home from school, and i was thinking, what could be a fun thing to talk about in ze doc boards,
and it just came to me, that i have absolutely no idea. ^_^ .

so anyways im gonna go update the thing, im gonna organize the match up section by tier so it isnt so randomly put there LOL XD
and im gonna add a Table of contents like elven had suggested.

Niko45

Smash Master
Nah the neutrals point and the ceilings point are completely seperate. Low ceilings are on counterpicks.

The neutrals besides FD and DL have great platforms for fox. These a) help him excape the CG/avoid pills and b) give him lots of more options for approaching and recovering. DL's platforms don't count bc they are very spread out so they don't help nearly as much.

Yes you can counterpick KJ64 but THEY can counterpick too (assuming doc is winning at all). Fox's counterpicks on doc > doc's on fox. Best bet is to draw FD on random the first match as long as the fox doesn't ban it lol.

That FoD stuff is interesting, OTG. As a fox I would ban FD way before FoD.

Roman.

Smash Champion
okay, reading all of this puts a tear in my eye

fox > doc

link = doc

honestly, the only reason i think link even has a chance against doc is cause it's hard to approach/punish nair spam but honestly, it's not a bad matchup at all

fox can waveshine -> grab 100%, idk what foxes yall are playing

you can't CC a nair -> grab or anything, the hitstun is good enough for a shine to come out every time

honestly if you are CCing fox have fun fixing that habit

ummm oh yeah, otg, fod is just a bad fox map, i guess they don't like it for whatever reason (im not a fox player)

uhhh and i vote for spud web as best doc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1pykLK_CUs&fmt=18

Infinite_Gamer

Smash Cadet
best team

just my oppinion most likely not shared but I think Young Link and Falco are the best for 2-2

there are equal in overall nimbleness but have very diffrent abbilites so they compistite each other well

on a side not it may not mean anything but I tested all team combos with AI only on max no items final destination and Young link and Falco got the most victorys

and doctor Mario is versitile and pairs well with many guys, Marth seemed to work quite well with him, as did peach

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
so the same thing was quoted 3 times in a row, I think that is a new record for the doc boards

Top Bottom