• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Nah cause you still woulda had to play hungrybox

Edit: now you're confusing me cause you made your sig look like Alpha's
lol who knows with hungrybox. I played friendlies with him and checked to see what happens if you let a jiggs inside. Becomes a complete guessing game.

I remember first time i played hungrybox, he said he never thinks he'll be able to beat me in tourney. Dunno if he still thinks that, but I havent lost to a puff in tourney yet. (Im going to turn around and do that next tourney i go to, i feel it)

Mango says that the only way puff beats doc is to go sheik.

__

Darkrain would have been a much bigger problem, but i mean, I did lose to one of the various things I dont know how to fight anyway, a falco with a good laser game (lambchops)

Roman.

Smash Champion
Roman,

one thing im putting in this "infamous guide that im probably never going to finish" is YOU DO NOT PUNISH WITH JABS. Especially with doc's jab. Sure it's going to hit them, but what happens is once you hit them, you give them the chance to read what you will do next, meaning the next action is not guarenteed. Doc's jab is aight, it's not really that good or anything. You punish with smashes/grabs, etc; you interrupt and close gaps with jabs. There's nothing to interrupt at that situation, cause you're already getting the free whatever.

I dunno how many times I've seen docs and marios punish with a jab, and wonder why the whatever after the jab gets avoided.
jab -> dsmash is like 100% on most at mid to high % if you don't get technical

jab -> grab is like 100% on most at low % if you don't get technical

on another note, i started using dtilt in a situation today

one of my habits is to ledgehop waveland (is there a name for this?) -> ftilt/utilt

i started to use dtilt when my friend was at high % and i kinda liked it just cause it feels safer than trying to grab -> bthrow

get at me for using dtilt

edit: i'll go to canada if someone drives me o.O

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Yo guys:

So my sister shows me this picture on her phone of some restaurant sign. The sign says: "Mario Bross (yes bros. is spelt incorrectly on the sign) Fast Food" and it has a picture of Mario on the left jumping.

LOL.

So we go on google and search for the restaurant cause' we're like wtf?!

---------------------------------------------------------

This is what we found on some forum about T.O. restaurants:

illegal Super Mario Bross fast food restaurant in Toronto...

Last week I was driving around Toronto and passed an intersection where I saw a restaurant sign with a Super Mario jumping up, the restaurant name is "Mario Bross. Fast Foods" (just like that with Bross spelt incorrectly).

I said what the hell lets see what they offer, knowing that it most likely is unlicensed and using the mario illegally, I thought it would be fun to check out just for giggles. Did a uTurn and parallel parked in the small space next to the restaurant (almost hit the car behind me since I haven't parallel parked in so long).

Go in and it doesn't seem to be a restaurant at all at first, no information on what to order on the top, restarant was empty no customers, felt like I walked into a secret drug dealing operation disguised as a super mario restaurant. Near the front were some signs that were maybe from cuba, or maybe colombia or mexico can't remember. Something was up, I go up to the counter wondering what to order since I don't see anything, ask the lady what can I order? She tells me a couple of things like a wrap with something, mario bross fries, mario bross burger combo, my mind is wondering are these code names for some kind of drugs? I settle for the burger combo TOTAL WAS LIKE $10 I'm like what the hell this can't be right for a burger with fries and a pop, its either a rip off or I am getting some drugs here.

Anyways indeed it turns out i did get a burger, with fries and a drink and I left, man I can't say I enjoyed the burger but thats all I will say, basicly it wasen't great. Anyhow I am asking here because I don't know what to do its obviously an illegal operation they are running it using a nintendo licensed character to make money + $10 for a burger is a rip, I am thinking of reporting them but they seemed to be poor and I don't want to hurt them badly. What do I do? I have the restaurat address if your interested in checking it out but I don't recommend buying anything from the experience I had. I would go back with a camera if I had one and post pictures but I don't have one, maybe if someone does go they can take pictures but I don't know that if I post the address if that will be considered advertising.
guys we have mario bross fast food..

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
hOLY **** I want to have some Mario Broosssz food. :3 Illegal you say? Bring a really big group of people and pay with counterfit money! Just kidding, maybe they are selling drugs on the side... mushrooms
and starmans

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Geez Ethan those matches vs. GAWes were insane. Good stuff dude. I almost feel like coming back after those matches. Your Doc. is amazing. I love you.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Its too bad you live so far in Fl, I'd like to play you Mac. :3 (to get my self better) [I live in St. Cloud]

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
jab->d.smash is ok at high %s. High high %s. jab -> grab at low? Lol. You must play alot of people who always respond to a jab with shield. I wont front, I do it myself.

I still dont see why in gods name you would want to punish with a jab and risk giving up a free whatever. Doc's jab is not that good. It's not sheik's jab. or Fox's.

___

Mario Bross Fast Food. Man that sounds disgusting.

How long was rayn on the pipe? XD

He probably send that burger to World 4-2.

Geez Ethan those matches vs. GAWes were insane. Good stuff dude. I almost feel like coming back after those matches. Your Doc. is amazing. I love you.
Almost feel like?!

***** WHAT?! GET CHYO *** BACK ON THEM STICKS MANG! OOOOHHHHHWWWWWEEEEEEEE!!

Get with chya bros and italian bread! WE NEED CHYA!

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Man I feel better about marths all of a sudden. :3 I was playing agaisnt a good marth although I was close to beating him. :3

I hate when he counters sometimes when I'm recovering, oh and also when my pill is destroyed by his sword lol.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
almost every character is at a disadvantage being above their opponent so if they jump then that's just great =D
alot of things actually go into that notion.

Like, how far are they above their opponent, what aerials they have, how fast they fall, etc etc.

Being above people can be something like.

"Hi Im Fox. Im up here above you. You want to jump at me? I hope you can beat my d.air. You're not going to beat it with a CC. You're not going to beat it by shielding. Unless I **** up, you're pretty much only going to beat it by moving, or by being marth or a link." (yes there are alot more exceptions to that.)

being above somebody can also be something like.

"Hi Im mewtwo. Im up here. Floating like the garbage low tier that I am. Oh what's that? You wanted to jump up here and follow up your attack? Well, how bout I just teleport through you and hit you? Would ya like that?"

____

Doc having somebody above him isnt exactly going to do to much to alot of people. If you're facing backwards you can do more to people, but if you're facing them, usually at the most you get one hit.

It's not the same as sheik having somebody in the air above her. That's pretty much why half of the cast blows. XD

____

But im not trying to say it like doc cant do anything. Infact, you have to stop people from just freely jumping around you unchecked. I mean hell, you can actually punish a marth for being in the air (only on sundays after church, but it's there).

Roman.

Smash Champion
but you have to put it in context with our situation

you just jabbed and they jumped

now most stages have platforms so if fox is jumping and dairing, seems to me you get a free uair half the time

and if you're in the middle of the stage (or on one with no platforms) utilt has more than enough priority to pop fox back up and probably follow it up with another move

the fact is, you put them in that position and i doubt they wanted to be there (especially if we're going back to punishing marth)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Does jabbing after getting shined help? (from possibly not getting shined again by fox or falco)

Jagg

Smash Journeyman

"Hi Im mewtwo. Im up here. Floating like the garbage low tier that I am. Oh what's that? You wanted to jump up here and follow up your attack? Well, how bout I just teleport through you and hit you? Would ya like that?"

____

Doc having somebody above him isnt exactly going to do to much to alot of people. If you're facing backwards you can do more to people, but if you're facing them, usually at the most you get one hit.

It's not the same as sheik having somebody in the air above her. That's pretty much why half of the cast blows. XD
I lol'd

Also for emphasis

I wonder if Jagg will ever get tired of me hijacking his account when I'm at his house hahahaha

Sheik with someone above her is pretty much GFG lolz.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Does jabbing after getting shined help? (from possibly not getting shined again by fox or falco)
if you get shined by fox, the only way you're going to jab is if they jump out of their shine in any way.

if you get shined by falco, .... it'd take some dumb situations to get to jab them afterwards.

______

Speaking of jabs, $mac sent me an im this morning reaming me about my input on jabs.

Kurokawa Shun (10:27:13 AM): Since when has Doc's jab not been that good?
Kurokawa Shun (10:27:28 AM): Did half of his pressuring meta-game change in thepast 4 months?
Kurokawa Shun (10:27:51 AM): If you jab a sheild.
Kurokawa Shun (10:28:07 AM): You can space a fair, provoking them to grab, which makes them open.
Kurokawa Shun (10:28:40 AM): I personally find that you become a better Doc. just by learning the uses of the jab.

i dunno, i never thought of intentionally thinking of jab -> f.air. Im guessing he means FH, but i dunno, i'll have to mess with it.

And lemme say another thing, this is more of a personal thing so it doesnt really mean much. Generally speaking, if I say something isnt good, if i dont directly say it's bad, then I usually mean that it's just aight. Such as doc's jab. It's not good. It's not something that gets you a guarenteed kill (like fox's), it doesnt get you guarenteed grabs (like sheiks), it doesnt run the risk of actually killing people (like ganon or capfal), and it's not 5 miles wide (like marths), but i mean ****, atleast it's not m2's jab, or nesses, or bowser, or DK, ..... etc.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
oh go figure, people starting to figure out why doc's jab isnt good. lol.

But yeah, if you're getting cc'd from your jab, that means your doing it at wrong times, that's all. Might be overuse. I used to have the same problem and stopped jabbing for a while.

I can also take a stab in the dark and say you guys dont use jab-jab at all. (Or *gasp* jab-jab-kick. I just started using that nonsense. XD) *refrains from using references from other games*

jab-jab helps you vs CCCounter since it kinda deters people from doing something after your first jab. It doesnt stop it, cause in all actuality, people can still respond.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Good thing I don't use jabs. (I used to)

About the air thing.

HI IM DOC AND I AM GOING TO FAIR YOU AND HOPE YOU GET HIT
ALSO I MIGHT JUST PREFER TO FAST FALL A L CANCELLED NAIR TO CATCH YOU OFF GUARD THE FIRST TIME

;p

Roman.

Smash Champion
i never use jab-jab but do use jab-jab-kick

i have a question - why does the cape sometimes blow up link's bomb and other times reflect it? does it depend on what part of the cape you hit it with? does it depend on how long the bomb's been out?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Good thing I don't use jabs. (I used to)
You're limiting yourself.
i never use jab-jab but do use jab-jab-kick

i have a question - why does the cape sometimes blow up link's bomb and other times reflect it? does it depend on what part of the cape you hit it with? does it depend on how long the bomb's been out?
I sometimes use jab-jab (i use it alot more than i used to), but i never did all 3 cause i though it was completely useless and you would get punished for it so bad. Then I watched Iori play C (while he was showing me "How Doc beats Capfal", and i saw Iori use it a few times and i was like "Wow, that thing isnt bad."

Now that I sit here and think about it, all doc's jab-jab-kick combo is is a ****ing rekka. A non guarenteed rekka, but one none-the-less.

__

As for the cape, i think it's because of this (this is my new theory as opposed to my old theory).

My old theory used to be that the bomb is multihit, and that if any 2 hitboxes of the cape hits the bomb, it explodes. (Because there was a reflect hitbox, then the cape hitbox, then the refelct hitbox). To solve this, you cape backwards so that only the reflect hitbox that's always behinds you hit.

My new theory is that, going offa the priority thing we talked about, the bomb is still multihit. But the multihit is the actual bomb hitting you, and then exploding. The way the cape works is that there's always a reflect hitbox around you, but there's an actual hitbox on the cape (which is how you hit people and put them into hitstun, how you actually do damage to them, etc etc.) So, what happens is your cape hits the bomb. The cape does enough damage to the bomb to make it explode.

So, if you cape the bomb and it doesnt explode, 1 of 2 things happened.

1) it still comes in, meaning the damage on your cape has been scaled

or

2) the bomb is reflected, meaning you didnt actually hit it with the cape, it just hit the reflect hitbox.

And this all leads up to what how you cape bombs.

Cape backwards.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
You're limiting yourself.

I sometimes use jab-jab (i use it alot more than i used to), but i never did all 3 cause i though it was completely useless and you would get punished for it so bad. Then I watched Iori play C (while he was showing me "How Doc beats Capfal", and i saw Iori use it a few times and i was like "Wow, that thing isnt bad."

Now that I sit here and think about it, all doc's jab-jab-kick combo is is a ****ing rekka. A non guarenteed rekka, but one none-the-less.

__

As for the cape, i think it's because of this (this is my new theory as opposed to my old theory).

My old theory used to be that the bomb is multihit, and that if any 2 hitboxes of the cape hits the bomb, it explodes. (Because there was a reflect hitbox, then the cape hitbox, then the refelct hitbox). To solve this, you cape backwards so that only the reflect hitbox that's always behinds you hit.

My new theory is that, going offa the priority thing we talked about, the bomb is still multihit. But the multihit is the actual bomb hitting you, and then exploding. The way the cape works is that there's always a reflect hitbox around you, but there's an actual hitbox on the cape (which is how you hit people and put them into hitstun, how you actually do damage to them, etc etc.) So, what happens is your cape hits the bomb. The cape does enough damage to the bomb to make it explode.

So, if you cape the bomb and it doesnt explode, 1 of 2 things happened.

1) it still comes in, meaning the damage on your cape has been scaled

or

2) the bomb is reflected, meaning you didnt actually hit it with the cape, it just hit the reflect hitbox.

And this all leads up to what how you cape bombs.

Cape backwards.
Oh, well I meant I didn't use jabs... But I do use the jab combo. xD

Also, I have caped all of links bombs backwards, but sometimes it has blown up on ME and screwed me up. xD Sometimes it did well and it sent it back to link. :/

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
if you cape backwards and get blown up, it's you're fault.

All you have to do is just cape it when it's about to hit you. No guess work or anything. No special timing. Just the same way you would cape any other projectile.

*edit*
I dont think you can actually cape somebody who's flat out behind you. Wish there was the hitbox thing for it, but like, i think if you cape somebody backwards, it's just that they touched a hitbox in front of you. I honestly dunno about that one.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
you guys are gay.
why would you cape an elf-made bomb :( it takes a while to make you know.

can someone explain me how CCCCape sometimes doesnt turn you around, but it like stuns your opponent.
this alway happens to me against peach.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I always figured that if you use the cape a lot, the damage goes down and isn't enough to blow up the bomb anymore.

Also, I don't think it's fair to call a move crappy just because you can crouch cancel counter it, because a lot of moves can be crouch cancel countered.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
^ ops i put "****"

yeah cape annoys me when it stuns my oppoent. it makes me cry inside. i think it has something to do with the timing though.

Top Bottom