• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Nope bthrow and fthrow are almost entirely useless...

You'd be better using dthrow or uair for guaranteed hits or kill.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
fthrow cant possibly combo into knee, there is too much lag after you throw them im pretty sure. uthrow dthrow are basically always the right decision, sometimes its reasonable to fthrow or bthrow someone with a really bad recovery off the ledge, but i wouldnt bother with that against floaties. also, that would work better with fthrow because they might try to DI the throw away to avoid a dropzone or something. that way you fthrow them and theyre kinda far away from the level, maybe you can cheap em out

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
At low percents dthrow but it's character dependent, on floaties you want dthrow.

Here's better advice: never use fthrow.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
hey thats not true what if you are right at the edge at like 10% against a space animal and you know they will get nervous and illusion into your knee and die :p

nah j/k bthrow and fthrow suck except for like the obvious uses

wait except most of the time out of uthrow dthrow you have a guaranteed knee

nevermind

Scar

#HarveyDent
yeah CF's throws are too good, it's a matter of getting the grab

if you uthrow a character and they can hit you before you can combo them, don't do it anymore and dthrow instead

vs dthrow, all characters have the following options based on their weight, %, etc

away DI, which leads to a tech (and tech-chasing opportunity) or to a combo, usually dthrow knee
no DI, which leads to a tech, nair/knee/uair combo, or regrab
in DI, which leads to a regrab or nair/knee combo

so yeah if you ever try to uthrow uair and it doesnt work b/c you get stuffed, you should be dthrowing instead. dthrow is always a safe bet aside from high %s where characters go too far away for a combo but high enough that they don't have to tech, then uthrow uair edgeguard is usually the best idea.

i have been thinking about fthrowing at the edge when i know they are going to DI away to avoid a throw>knee combo, we'll see how that works out.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Can anyone help me around marths huge sword that thing is like the size of Hyrule temple i can get close to him but it take so much work is there a match up guide for this fight

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I think I remember someone in this thread saying not to approach Marth. Does this mean that I just DD and such until I get an opening?

Scar

#HarveyDent
yeah i said that, marth ***** all of your approaches, turns out that there are very few marths that are good against CF though which is why i think the matchup is called @ 60/40 falcon.

you need to be very conscious of spacing, realize that if you're in close you can't run from him, his dash attack covers all your options, **** him if he ever misses an attack on you and be conscious of his sword through platforms

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
DD grab camp and you win. Stay on edge make him recover to stage easy knee punish.

It's a pretty easy matchup because most Marths aren't pro LOL

j00t

Smash Champion
DD grab camp and you win. Stay on edge make him recover to stage easy knee punish.

It's a pretty easy matchup because most Marths aren't pro LOL
Hmm....

>_>;

I think the matchup is even, the pro-ness of other Marths shouldn't be a factor. Matchups are evaluated based on the highest level of play for both characters, aren't they?

Scar

#HarveyDent
yeah that's how we usually do it but i think the system is flawed, there are certainly stylistic differences between players and they translate into better/worse matchups, and also highest level play isn't always relevant

i think marth/falcon is exactly even and whoever is better with their character and at the matchup will win

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I think the matchup is even, the pro-ness of other Marths shouldn't be a factor. Matchups are evaluated based on the highest level of play for both characters, aren't they?
IMO, yes and no.

Yes for the sake of tiers and other obvious reasons.

No because honestly most people who come seeking advice aren't at the highest level. By including things that may not apply at the highest level one helps tailor the help to the audience. And it is a very rare sight to see someone who is at the highest level asking for help on the smashboards. As far as matchup rating, I suppose it would be at the discretion of the poster, probably heavily weighing on the context of the post, whether it's in a guide or responding to someone asking for help, or some other scenario. I don't think there's any set rules or regulations, maybe not even expectations for this kind of thing at any rate.

(edit)
there are certainly stylistic differences between players and they translate into better/worse matchup
Please go into more detail with these in your guide, that knowledge could be extremely helpful. (To me and likely to others)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
yeah that's how we usually do it but i think the system is flawed, there are certainly stylistic differences between players and they translate into better/worse matchups, and also highest level play isn't always relevant

i think marth/falcon is exactly even and whoever is better with their character and at the matchup will win
I do believe marth has the advantage in this matchup. But I agree with you on the style part. Combo happy marths will go even with falcon. But im dair happy and I gimp all day.

Falcon can combo marth and marth can combo falcon. but what marth can do to falcon cannot really be avoided with DI. once falcon is off the stage at all marth should handle his business. you can SDI an knee.

I just feel that the gimp factor and platforms give marth an edge over falcon.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
i always **** marths easily,i just bait a grab and they are dead,you can chainthrow her safely from 0-50 without em getting out of it and almost always will get nervous, do **** di and knee=kill

just stay away from her sword unless she fsmash u, i just say **** time when they do that XD

Scar

#HarveyDent
metashinryu, you can almost never chaingrab marth dude. i don't even know what a person could do to get chaingrabbed with marth by captain falcon. if you have ever done this and recorded it i would loooooove to see it, but it is completely impossible

and yes if the marth is garbage uthrow at like any percent and it combos into knee but that's not what we're talking about

metashinryu

Smash Ace
metashinryu, you can almost never chaingrab marth dude. i don't even know what a person could do to get chaingrabbed with marth by captain falcon. if you have ever done this and recorded it i would loooooove to see it, but it is completely impossible

and yes if the marth is garbage uthrow at like any percent and it combos into knee but that's not what we're talking about
man i have done it, i wish i had a camera T_T

and u can use half nair as a setup for it, u grab him and dthrow, u just need to jc every grab and dash to it, c.falcon gets a weird range on his grab when u do it like that(almost as long as marths AND you can grab people behind u while moving ) and u can grab ppl almost when they touch ground XD

Mokumo

Smash Ace
Now that i've improved my falcon punch and falcon kick game...

Two moves that I am trying to use more often: usmash and dtilt. Last tourney i went to I remember watching scar do a lot of dthrow -> usmash to cover two options (flubbed tech and tech in place), which is a pretty legit strategy especially because its easy to practice on a computer. upsmash techchase below a platform -> knee is legit too. dtilt -> grab/knee/anything can work too, isai kills ken with dtilt -> twice in that legendary match on dreamland. darkrain combos all day of course, but everyone is good now and they DI way on the dtilt.

any other strategies that work with these two moves?

metashinryu

Smash Ace
uthrow to u smash works on fastfallers at low% and also the dtilt to fsmash is a good option

also manalord:i already tested the chainthrow on lv9 marth cpu,i could mantain it to 55% till he could break out of it by dairing me,i dunno if thats legit but later i will test it on a good marth player

i think lv9 have good di, try landing an full upsmash on em, they always di it away, and they can survive a knee at 100% O_O

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
No nothing you do on computers can be done on people.

and usmash is ok but limited for techchase and platforms and maybe random oos if you think itll work and no you cant throw into it

dtilt is ok too good juggles if they dont di its straight up easy knee if they di away pending percent a knee or something else maybe grab but it's an easily di'ed move a good application is low %'s v spacies bc it drops them down

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hey, what is a good thing to practice when your alone. I am trying to get back into melee from brawl. I realized the error of my ways, so now I am trying to correct my mistakes.

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol TML it really isn't. Goddammit this keeps coming up. I suppose I know what I have to do.

Everyone, prepare to get better at SSBM. I will show you the way.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
:laugh::bee::):embarrass;):(:dizzy::ohwell::mad::confused::p:chuckle::urg::lick::cool::cry::eek::rolleyes::grin::psycho::rotfl::colorful::estatic::demon::crazy::crying::eek::estatic::love::grrr::teeth::pimp::upsidedown::tired::flame::suess::veryconfu:lol::nerd::bigthumbu:******::hunger::freak::roll::smoke::scared::newbie::joyful::evil::devil::hipsmile::coolmonke:scared::idea::bluejump::skull::alien::redx::blush::mad088:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

explain scar, explain

i don't really know tho bc i dont' play v people either except tournaments i got good by playing cpu but i dunno when peopel ask me how I just say when you play versus people you "get your mind right" then v cpu just do **** and learn how but you gotta realize.. that developing bad habits **** is bull**** just get your head in the right place to play

but what do you have to say about this? i'm actually interested!

EDIT: IMO step 1 is having a controller that works lol. I need a new one but have no money >_<

Top Bottom