• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic+ ~UPDATED OP 11/15/09~

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
How many times do I have to point out that the idea came from the fact that Sonic's USmash spikes in vBrawl. Can we stop saying there is no precedent. I'm on niether side of the debate really, I think testing should be done with several things with Sonic(like I've said) but don't ignore things so you can be more right.

*Wall of Text*
You seem to be against having Sonic's usmash spike simply because it's an up smash, and for the most part usmashes don't do that.

Lucas' bair spikes. Ganon's uair semispikes. Link's UpB semispikes. Even other usmashes spike. Set aside them being unintentional or "odd", they still spike.
It should take you all of one use to figure out Sonic's usmash spikes, about 2 or 3 if you're slow to figure out that putting your opponent into the ground is quite advantageous for you.

Fsmashes can send things in all sorts of weird angles. A large number of dsmashes send things upwards. But a usmash that sends downwards? BLASPHEMY! IT...MUST...SEND...UP! Why is a dsmash sending upwards so largely different from a usmash sending down?

You are deviating from the original Brawl when you give it a spike.
It ALREADY SPIKED. It was just made to happen much more often. That is not a deviation, that is a buff.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Perhaps you could learn to read? As I have stated, multiple times, the Usmash spikes by Roy and vBrawl Sonic were not intentional. The purpose of the Usmash is still to send things up. The fact that it fails sometimes is a failure on Sakurai's part, not an intent for Usmash to spike.

As I have said. There is no precedent for an Usmash that has the purpose of spiking.

Edit: Tatsuman.

No. I'm against it spiking because it was not meant to spike. So what if Lucas' bair spikes? That's just how it is. It kept its properties in Brawl+. So why can't we keep Sonic Usmash properties in Brawl+?

See above half for the reply to "It already spiked". That's like changing all moves in Melee to phantom hits because "Phantom hits sometime occur".

Or are you going to say that phantom hits were intentional, now?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Guys...guys...guys. I appreciate intelligent debates and believe me when I say this HAS been a very intelligent debate. Good points have been made for both sides and there has been a minimum amount of flaming. Now, I ask that you guys read the rules of this forum.

We have opened this forum for the discussion of a character's metagame. That means guides to using a character, discussion of their matchups, and others things of the like are the kinds of topics we are looking for. Imagine that the current version of Brawl+ you are playing is a final product and that we don't have the power to change things. I don't want to see: 'Mario lacks an aerial killer so hopefully we can give him the Doc F-air in a future patch.'
I ask that you respect the forum rules and cut the discussion out. Believe me, every change implemented goes through a lot of testing, especially changes that radically alter the way a move works (Lucario's Extreme Speed, Wolf and Falco's New Shines, Sonic's U-smash) With each change like that we assume there will be heat. I (and other BRoomers) have taken note of this topic. If you would like to talk about Sonic's U-smash I suggest you take it to the Plussery. Please, remember these forum rules.

Imagine if we end up removing the U-smash change and 2-3 months later a new B+ Sonic Player gets into the scene. The first few pages will be FILLED with this discussion. I'd appreciate it if you guys could continue this discussion somewhere else, these boards are already pretty junky, let's not make the problem worse.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
If Sonic's USmash spiked that is the precedent. That is the point I'm trying to make. You're either using the word incorrectly, or simply trying to say something that isn't true.

Perhaps you could learn to read? As I have stated, multiple times, the Usmash spikes by Roy and vBrawl Sonic were not intentional. The purpose of the Usmash is still to send things up. The fact that it fails sometimes is a failure on Sakurai's part, not an intent for Usmash to spike.

As I have said. There is no precedent for an Usmash that has the purpose of spiking.

Edit: Tatsuman.

No. I'm against it spiking because it was not meant to spike. So what if Lucas' bair spikes? That's just how it is. It kept its properties in Brawl+. So why can't we keep Sonic Usmash properties in Brawl+?

See above half for the reply to "It already spiked". That's like changing all moves in Melee to phantom hits because "Phantom hits sometime occur".

Or are you going to say that phantom hits were intentional, now?
It still did. I imagine the Dev team didn't mean for Fox's shine to be the best move in Melee, but it still is. What something is meant to do and what it does are completely different things, because one of them is completely irrelevant.

Because there was no reason to? Sonic needed a few buffs, and his usmash wasn't really useful for anything. It had to much lag to lead into anything or punish effectively. The most you would get out of it is about 19% and your opponent in the air and out of hitstun.
So now it leads into tech chases, and is something to be feared as an anti-aerial. If an aerial character is hit by it, they're grounded and now Sonic's *****. >_>

No. It isn't. That is an awful simile, and you should be ashamed for making it. xD

Maybe they weren't. But they still happened. *Copypaste*
"What something is meant to do and what it does are completely different things, because one of them is completely irrelevant."

EDIT: Sorry, GoG.

scrubadub

Smash Rookie
Whoa... I have several things to say in response to those HUGE walls of text:

1) The changes in Brawl+ are not made on a whim JUST for the sake of making the game "more fun." And I quote from the official (stickied) Brawl+ FAQ:

"Fighting games are about risk/reward. Regular Brawl's overly defensive metagame has reduced it to a campfest. Brawl+ is here to remove that and bring back the fast paced, adrenaline pumping action that the smash bros series has been known for. To promote a faster paced game and the risky maneuvers that make playing and even watching Smash Bros matches so exhilarating you can expect to be able to combo (and be comboed), actually make use of your tech roll and greatly rely on your ability to DI to avoid being decimated by your opponent. With simply the hitstun code in place, Brawl+ has put every character on an equal ground as every character now has the opportunity to do a sequence of attacks that allow them defeat their opponent. Gone are the games of tag that vanilla Brawl once was. In short, you should expect Brawl+ to be an extremely fun, new experience."
So all the changes have a purpose. It is the even the balance of power between offense and defense in the game. vBrawl was a game that heavily favored defense since you took so much damage and risk fighting through a wall of hitboxes and taking many shield grabs, only to net yourself one hit (due to a lack of true combos). So in summary, the primary purpose of the changes is to make offense as viable as defense and that consequently makes the game "more fun" (subjective).

2) Are individual move property changes ok? It's hard to say, and I have mixed feelings about it myself. The opinion will vary from person to person. But there is one thing that I do know. The character balance in vBrawl was atrocious! UGH! the gap between highest and lowest tier is even bigger than melee! If you thought some of the changes being made in B+ are whimsical, you should feel even all the moreso about the character design in vB. In any case, it may be hard to see why certain changes are being implemented over others. The changes are decided over by a committee to avoid having one person promote his own personal agenda fpr the game. While some of the changes seem whimsical, you have to place a certain amount of trust in the committee and to be honest, I feel like character balance is better with the changes than without (whimsical or not).

Arkaether

Smash Ace
scrubadub, read the huge walls of text. Considering that Dark Sonic has specifically stated multiple times that the only reason he changed Sonic was whimsical and arbitrary, your point is kind of null.

Tatsuman, you realize that Sonic's Usmash is the catalyst for this argument? You realize that they could have fixed it in other ways, like a better vacuum effect and less endlag so you can combo into it and out of it? So if it hadn't been changed, the community wouldn't have a gigantic rift, we'd all get along happily, and half the Sonic players wouldn't hate the other half's guts?

But anyway, I'm going to end the Usmash argument here, since GoG has kindly asked us to stop discussing it.

Of course, since I don't even play Sonic seriously in the first place (just replying to what I thought seemed to be a rather bad idea), I can't provide much input either. Nobody has yet to create a Sonic guide, there hasn't really been matchup discussions, and the majority of the thread is argument about Sonic. I can say that my favorite move is uair.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Nobody has yet to create a Sonic guide, there hasn't really been matchup discussions, and the majority of the thread is argument about Sonic. I can say that my favorite move is uair.
It's a pretty pimp move. I find it to be his most reliable kill move. It's so satisfying to chase someone to the top with a spring and U-air em to oblivion. I also really like his F-air. It's too bad you can DI behind it. :(

Uair chasing off the top is always satisfying. Sonic's uair on Corneria is insane. xD

Has anyone found any solid uses for nair? I know it's not exactly a good aerial, but there has to be something we can do with it.
However, the only use that I can find for it is being a much laggier and less powerful Bair. =(

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Nope, nair is one of those more useless moves. Bad damage, bad knockback, but it does look very very cool. Love bair, love uair, and dair's kinda eh. I usually only use it to land quickly after an upb; I rarely to never actually use the move to attack/combo with.

Dair actually combos fairly well when you land it. Even better if you autocancel it from a spring, though that does make it a lot more predictable.

It's also a decent gimp move.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Yeah, it seems decent as a combo starter. I just have this habit of not using dairs that ff, like toon link's or shiek's or GW's, etc.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I was going to post but arkaether said it more simply for me.
Sonics spike on his Usmash is not a true spike.
Its not a meteor and i brawl, all the spikes have been made into meteors. Its probably similar to Roy's.

one second dark sonic i will reply in a moment.

Maybe I missed something, but to me "pretty easy to DI" means that he thinks it wouldn't chain.
Which would be good considering in melee (which had more hitstun), very few characters could combo that much.
In fact, it was only fast fallers that truly were utterly ***** by it and most combos could be DI'ed to reduce the damage before the 40% mark, on medium characters.
Either that or we lower the windown of upsmash enough so that it CAN chain, but the upsmash itself becomes as abusable as G&W's nair<.<
Then wouldnt the issue be ot with the move but with the mechanics?

Well yeah, considering that overall it would be WORSE than it is now. <.<
Which is bad.
Rewarding sloppy gameplay is terrible. If I land a Uair with Sonic, I shouldn't be chaining 5 of them in a row for 35%.
I don't see successful fighters allowing you to land the same move over and over and over for free damage. And when they do they offer damage scaling to the point where cotinuing is useless and would be stlaling.

Since Brawl does not have that, ten changing the knockback/trajectory so that the move isnt so abusable is possible correct?
Considering I am chaining uthrows to a Bair for an easy 48% (not counting any other follow ups) well

A nerf is fine provided that the nerf doesnt
A. Kill the gameplay of the character
B. Make that character unviable (unless its Dan or Roll).

So what? Everything we DO to upsmash would be arbitrary. "Original purpose" also really doesn't mean anything. Upsmash's "original purpose" could well have been to just hit them a single time and not lead into anything (after all, it was really good at doing this).
I'm perfectly fine with making uair easier to juggle with.
really? So the purpose of the Up smash in Brawl, is to hit them once with it?
Please dont act silly.
The purpose of Usmash for SOnic is blatantly clear.
Anti Air capability.
We can even derie this conclusion by process of elimination.
Can it kill? Nope. Not a kill move.
Is it a move meant ot space? No, it lacks the speed.
Does it combo? No.
Does it have a large hitbox? yes
It aids in keeping opponents like Luigi or Wario from abusing their good aerial game.

You didn't read my Tl:dr did you?
I did and I made a resposne but as I said earlier the quoting system gayed me so the response was possibly lost. Sorry about that.

About how all the physics changes were made first and were NOT made for rebalancing the game, but for completely subjective reasons (brawl+ in itself only exists because a group of people were dis-satisfied with brawl). Arguing about WHY any of those physics changes were put in will just be fruitless, because those changes were put in for no other reason that the majority of the community involved liked them.
You do realise that I didn't really want to buff Sonic at all right? The upsmash buff is only there because upsmash was terrible and we found a cool way to fix it. Not for balancing issues.
not at all. The reasonngs for making the changes to brawl's physics can be found to be much less arbitrary and subjective.
It is a fact that the mechanics in Brawl allow incredible defensive gameplay which makes many characters unviable, they lack an approach or a way of being rewarded for approaching successfully.

the changes made can allow those character to be rewarded or allow them new ways to approach.

Objective? not completely.
Arbitrary? Hardly.
And considering how several characters play much better (Falcon and Ganondorf) and are now capable of actually competing, it cannot be said that the reasoning is cmpletely arbitrary.

yes Sonics upsmash is horrible.
Falcon's knee was poor as well but I do not believe you change the trajectory at which the knee hit them or changed the behavior of the move.

Again you can simply make a slight speed up to the start up. Keep wind down improve start up.

Small tweak, big improvement. It would retain the original purpose of the move, not alter the gameplay of the character, and not be compeltely subjective.

Okay...
What's going on is that we like these physics better, and we're trying to balance the game within THESE physics.
The physics actually aid in balancing the game in that it helps to improve it.
by no means am I knocking on the idea of doig it just the reasons for doig it.
Especially considering it is a public release .

Or it's original purpose might have been to be a fast move? The animation would certainly suggest so right?
Animation? No. Smoethig ca look fast but not be fast.
Certainly the speed at which the hitbox comes out suggests it. And the small range suggests its a move that involves risk due to a high reward.

Why not make it come out faster? Why is your buff more legitimate than mine? Both of them fix what the nair lends itself to do right?
Hardly. Speeding up a 5 frame move by making it 1 frame isn't a very large difference considering the behavior of the move. It wouldnt see a change at all really.
One hit move with 1 frame start up that lacks comboing capability unless you hit with the lagging frames? Might as well remain 5 frame move.

igving the KB buff would retain the original purpose. Yes its a quick move but the range is poor and so the risk is great. Of course then you would test and if that turns out bad, then simply remove it.
I am quite sure you are keeping little bookmarks as a method of keeping track of everything correct? least I am working under such an assumption.

Giving Sonic ANY new options will radically change his gameplay.
Not always. You can give Baiken in GG a new spacing tool (her new 412 Hs counter) but still retain the original gameplay of the said character.
You make up for the weaknesses with slight changes which offer new options, but do not change the gameplay.

You act like its an all or nothing thing.

That happens ANYTIME you make a bad move good. That's to be expected, as those moves end up being used more. Even if upsmash did not spike and only had the speed up, you'd STILL be radically changing Sonic's gameplay, since now you have him comboing into upsmash (or just using it to beat aerials) with the intent of actually linking something directly from it (which my change does too btw), which is something HE DIDN'T DO BEFORE.
I wouldn't say the nair change is radical. But I will say that it's also not the ONLY thing you can do to nair that would maintain it's original purpose (especially since "original purpose" is arbitrary in itself)
I already use it t smack around a character who is abusing nondisjointed aerials (few have Marths fair so I can hit them too considering Sonics great speed.)

So considering it would remain an antiair thats fine. The gameplay will hardly change completely for the character.
meawhile, you cannot tell me that the speedup, plus the spike retains Sonics ability as bait and punish and does not push him in the direction of a tech chaser.

I abuse the hell out of usmash. Its a perfectly safe move. If I miss so what? Im moving too fast for them to hit me.
if I hit its a free techchase.
It has literally no risk when you abuse the move.

Well the reasoning was "people keep saying that Sonic needs buffs, let's take a look at their suggestions." "well, d-smash speedup would make it more usefull as a tech chase option and as a punisher."
Why would you be tech chasing with Dsmash? A killing move?
you can always just retain the wind down. Speed up start up, retain wind down.
This keeps it a smash and ensure sit cannot be abused repeatedly.
"Upsmash spike? That actually sounds really cool and extremely useful, let's try it" *generally positive feedback*
If I suggested giving Fsmash a speed up and KB increase and shield breaking ability trust me, the feedback will be very positive. Peope do not believe in caring for the overall balance for the game. they care about what thry want, not what they need. You, being a representative, hav to weed out the suggestions.

oh I don't mind the answer at all actually. I just want the actual reasoning. So i can challenge it and make you tihnk of things ina new way
yeah you WILL see a sudden explosion of new players who like and ahte the buff.
yet the reasons are legitimate.
Like even with the physics changes, yeah sonic lost some of his options but he retains his bait and punish ability does he not?

yet when you itroduce elements such as the upsmash spike, now you have something that drastically changes gameplay. Because when you fator in shieldstun, the speed up, the movement of sonic, you have something that can be abused, and drastically change the way a character is used.

As opposed to simply speeding up the start up which wouldnt make such a dastic change.

The changes WERE made just because we wanted them.
You just said you are tryig to rebalance the game within these physics (which I also provided a far less arbitrary reason btw).
So which isit? Rebalance or because you want to?
keep in mind this thin is made public so... yeah.

Brawl+ was made by people who DID NOT LIKE BRAWL, isn't it obvious that we'd want to change it? We wanted brawl+ to be a COMPLETELY different game, using physics that we DO like. Abusable tactics were only being removed later (jab lock fix, certain nerfs like Marth's DB, ect.)
DB?
ot familiar with the term.
I for one find marth a very good basis for developing a balanced character.

Anyway you do not need to create a completely different game.
For example in the original GG game, you could combo into instant death moves.(really friggin terrible to allow).
What did arc do? Made it so that instant kills cannot be comboed into.
gameplay was retained.
Baiken was getting spaced like crazy, so in AC they gave her a new counter (412 Hs) to help her. Retained gameplay.
These changes were small and made the game better.

From what i have been seeing, the mentality whe codingfor brawl+ is all or nothing mentality.
you either change it drastically or you do not change it t all.
Which isnt truly needed.

Brawl is a smash game. The physics changes still retain the original gameplay. it is not as if you added lifebars and changed the free movement.
Hardly is the case.
But you dont need to go all ou to make a better game. Which mdm said more concisely.
They're AREN'T any reasons other than "because we wanted to"!
I provided good reasons that work otherwise.
Not hard at all realy.
I just said that a million times. Balance was the LAST thing on our mind when we were playing with physics. We made the physics changes FIRST, and the only reasoning for them was "because we liked it."
Because physics changes and individual move changes are different? Because we're now onto the point of balancing the game within the context of the physics that we have already laid out?
You mean like making Upsmash do something other than hit them once and not lead into anything? Or making dair a combo move? Or making uptilt a combo move? Making upthrow->aerial an actual setup? Or HAVING HITSTUN?!?
But you can have non arbitrary reasoning.

1.Brawl's physics SUCKED HARD. It resulted in gameplay that was bad and unbalanced etc etc. So if ew look at it, the physics changes weren't bad (though we fall down to how much is to much and the like which can be reasoned as well).

2. Changing individual moves is a bigger deal, because then its that much harder to differentiate preferism over balance. Phsyics changes made to improve gameplay Great. non arbitrary wheny ou consider the old physics engine.
Making upsmash spike and turning sonic into a tech chaser instead of bait and punish? Bigger difference.
Especially considering the degree of the change that is made.

ALL of the physics changes were put in place specifically BECAUSE they changed the purpose of gameplay. A lot of moves changed. Ike can combo into f-smash from a dair for crying out loud! "It changes gameplay" is not a valid point when the goal is to...change the game.
Except if you are dissatisfied with the engine, and change it becaus eof that dissatisfaction, but then notice Fsmash~Dair} as a combo, do you not feel that perhaps the physics engine should be changed then and made better.
Anyone can say, we want change, and then change it, but when its something that has become a public thing, that involves many users, that involve an entire community, those changes need better reasoning other than lets change it."

you change the gameplay because it was sub par, because it NEEDED to be changed. because the gameplay was dissatisfying and created many issues as a result.
yet because of wanting to change frmo that bad gameplay you failed to realize that the changes made created abusable things that are just as bad if not worse than the original.

What I am saying is that this whole thing where people go "it MUST be changed" is hardly cnostructive to brawl+. Simply changing things is not an issue at all. But considering that you are attemting to create re balancing along with change is what creates the issue for me.
So you mean...IT'S BETTER?! Well yeah, that was the point.
Except that disregards everything else If we say "its better thats e point." the you end up with Akuma 9-1'ing everyone in SF2. Just because its better, does not mean its good.

And a speed up on which end? The front end or the back (because a speedup on the back lets you combo from it, which I mentioned earlier). A speed up on startup would make it a pretty spammable AA move while we're at it (we tried it before, luckily it still had the spike at the time). Making invincible/large hitbox moves come out fast is kinda pushing it.[/quoet] The move is invincible for only 1-3 frames. Thats as soon as the hitbox comes out.
The move is not spammable because of high winddown of the move.

A spammable move has low wind down time, not high start up.

Which is more spammable? A move that hits on frame 3 and ends o frame 62. Or a move that starts frame 5 but ends frame 6?
I exaggerate so that the concept is understood more clearly.
By having a low startup time but retaining wind down, it ensures its not a risk free move or very spammable.

And in brawl+ I always thought upsmash would work really, really well as a simple chaser if you could just do something AFTER it. It's fairly easy to combo into but beyond that it really didn't DO anything.
But the move is intended to pop the opponent UP. Not down, to the side, inside out.
It also is meant to smack people out the side.
Hell i can think of a million ways to make Fsmash better, or upsmash even better than now, but it doesnt mean we should implement them.
Arbitrary as the change is, it's a very useful buff and I don't see why it should be taken out. "It changes gameplay" applies to pretty much every character in the game.
Under that logic, we should implement my 1 frame upsmash, with invincibility frames throughout it, no lag at the end, OHKO move.

its a very useful buff but, doesnt mean we should do it.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
I am actually for removing the Usmash spike. And I was one of the ppl bragging on how good it would be and how much I wanted it. Now that I got it I don't like it as much. I guess this is why we do testing huh? A lot of ppl are against it and since it has faster start up already, now would be a good time to remove the spike? We should probably make a vote.

Making Sonic's attacks faster would be the major thing for me.

A few suggestions would be:

~ less KB on Fair
~ faster Bair (just a little?)
~ Stronger Nair
~ Less Landing Lag on Fair

Possibly making moves weaker so they can be much faster like Fsmash. But I would like some feedback.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Guys. I thought that the U-Smash spike discussion isn't suppossed to be this thread. This is a thread for discussing Sonic as if this was the final product, not a discussion for nerfs, buffs, or other changes. Plz take this U-Smash discussion elsewhere.

On-topic: Who would be Sonic's worst match-ups?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Guys. I thought that the U-Smash spike discussion isn't suppossed to be this thread. This is a thread for discussing Sonic as if this was the final product, not a discussion for nerfs, buffs, or other changes. Plz take this U-Smash discussion elsewhere.

On-topic: Who would be Sonic's worst match-ups?
At least someone reads... Thank you.

My friend can not fight my Snake with his Sonic. He also has a terrible time against my DK. With my experience I would say those are probably two of his worst matchups. Snake eats every one of Sonic's attacks. A smart Snake shouldn't leave himself open too much to be punished for whiffed tilts, but that is what Sonic needs to force. DK just seems to swat all of Sonic's approaches away.

What do you guys think?

shanus

Smash Hero
Sonic's current nair data:

Sonic's nair
hb1
2F0B501E 00169033
hb2
2F085514 00169033
hb3
2F055A14 00169033 2:18 AM

summary:
hitbox 1: 11dmg 80 KBG 30BKB angle:20
hitbox 2: 8dmg 85KBG 20BKB angle:20
hitbox 3: 5dmg 85KBG 20BKB angle:20

My proposition (have yet to test):
hitbox 1: 11dmg 85 KBG 50BKB angle:20
hitbox 2: 8dmg 85KBG 30BKB angle:20

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Sonic's current nair data:

Sonic's nair
hb1
2F0B501E 00169033
hb2
2F085514 00169033
hb3
2F055A14 00169033 2:18 AM

summary:
hitbox 1: 11dmg 80 KBG 30BKB angle:20
hitbox 2: 8dmg 85KBG 20BKB angle:20

My proposition (have yet to test):
hitbox 1: 11dmg 85 KBG 50BKB angle:20
hitbox 2: 8dmg 85KBG 30BKB angle:20
Sounds good, makes me wonder what Pikachu's Nair is like.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Q_Q, Well I really did like the upsmash spike, but I guess if people are so much against it, it can't be helped.

So anyway, what SHOULD we do with upsmash then? I guess we could just go with faster startup like Shadowlink suggested. <.<

/upsmash talk.

shanus

Smash Hero
Heh, i made sonics nair good now! Go me!

edit: new nightly build online now with new sonic nair

I like the new nair. It actually hits like a half way decent sex kick.

Usmash spike...farewell, my love. ;-;

So...what are we going to do with the usmash now?

Revven

FrankerZ
I was thinking: Faster startup, lower BKB so he could still get a Uair off of it at higher percents because it becomes utterly useless past 80% (maybe even earlier, I'm just estimating).

I was thinking: Faster startup, lower BKB so he could still get a Uair off of it at higher percents because it becomes utterly useless past 80% (maybe even earlier, I'm just estimating).
Perfectly reasonable.

Still seems a bit...uniform compared to his spikesmash, but I'll deal. xD

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a nice thought, a faster start up would be a great addition.

Has anyone ever thought about giving Sonic a hit box to surround himself when he does Spin Charge and Spin Dash similar to Lucario's Aura Sphere?

shanus

Smash Hero
Sounds like a nice thought, a faster start up would be a great addition.

Has anyone ever thought about giving Sonic a hit box to surround himself when he does Spin Charge and Spin Dash similar to Lucario's Aura Sphere?
after telling you this approximately 10 times in the IRC, we plain and simple can't do this. We can't add hitboxes.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
after telling you this approximately 10 times in the IRC, we plain and simple can't do this. We can't add hitboxes.
I asked before? I just thought of it when Shadowlink or Phoenix Dark told me last night. @_@ Sorry.

How about better aerial control? Is that even possible? Meh, he's probably better to just stick to the ground I guess.

Also to note, Wario Ware is a bad stage for Sonic while PS2 is a really good stage for him. I can go either way with Luigi's Mansion, ceiling is high, but the sides are shorter. Its preference.

But.... WE HAVE BIG BLUE NOW :laugh:

I don't think Warioware is an outright bad stage for Sonic. You just have to play differently there since you don't have much room to work with. Uair juggles can often lead to death at stupid low percentages.

PS2 is a fairly neutral stage in general. How does it benefit Sonic?

Revven

FrankerZ
Actually, WW's boundaries were made to be out farther in the latest sets so it can be a neutral now as opposed to a CP.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Usmash spike needs more time for consideration. It just gave a better reward for a move that had little before, and people are saying thats unnecessary? If anything it takes more skill to take advantage of then Nair or whatever other buff Usmash would get, and has much more varied options out of it. Usmash was decent in vBrawl, but in a game where someone can punish you so much harder then before, throwing out an Usmash just for a few damage on people with good aerial game that aren't necessarily at a disadvantage from you using it seems like a stupid, unappealing risk.

Its easy to be pessimistic when you see such a blatant change and go "These guys don't know what they're doing! They shouldn't be allowed to make changes like this without my input!"Changes in Brawl+ ARE to make the game more fun, its just subjective on which side to give more fun to. There was a lot of dissent when people wanted to take Brawl+ in other directions, but we resolved that well enough didn't we? It should not be against policy to make "pure fun" changes to Brawl+.

Really I think a lot of the more vocal ones calling for the removal aren't even in the majority. I've had plenty of people tell me how awesome the Usmash spike is. Ignoring the whole argument thing, it is logically just a different way to give the move a follow-up that doesn't suck, but people are treating it like it completely changes his playstyle.

I'm really against the Nair buff. I'd rather speed up his Bair, which gets little to no use at all besides for about one combo. His other aerials are much better choices with momentum, and bair is just too hard to space otherwise. Its just better to combo into his other aerials.

Pika's Nair easily makes Sonic better, but in a way that makes his other options almost worthless. At least if the move was made good enough to be worth adding at all.

Sorry for the late uncooperative attitude, but Sonic is becoming an increasingly tired subject with too much elitism and assumptions surrounding the character I feel he needs less attention atm. I liked him in the previous sets and was hoping he'd go untouched for at least a while.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Mauser, the Usmash discussion is already over. And the fact that those who support it aren't being as vocal shows that those who support it don't care as much. The best way to be fair is through majority rule, and if you don't have the majority, complaining about it isn't going to do much.

As for the nair, I do admit that it needs serious work. However, I'm not too sure about the new change. It's useful, yes, but I feel like we're ripping off other ideas (coughPikachucough). Since I see nair generally as a GTFO move, though, I'm actually pretty supportive of the nair change.

As for his other aerials, I think they're fine. Bair is a bit slow, perhaps, but I don't see any pressing need to change it. Considering that all his other options are fine as is, I'd rather we just leave most things as untouched as possible.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Mauser, the Usmash discussion is already over. And the fact that those who support it aren't being as vocal shows that those who support it don't care as much. The best way to be fair is through majority rule, and if you don't have the majority, complaining about it isn't going to do much.

As for the nair, I do admit that it needs serious work. However, I'm not too sure about the new change. It's useful, yes, but I feel like we're ripping off other ideas (coughPikachucough). Since I see nair generally as a GTFO move, though, I'm actually pretty supportive of the nair change.

As for his other aerials, I think they're fine. Bair is a bit slow, perhaps, but I don't see any pressing need to change it. Considering that all his other options are fine as is, I'd rather we just leave most things as untouched as possible.
Its hard to care for such a trivial debacle. Some people don't browse the Brawl+ boards much, that includes a lot of top level players getting into the game from friends who are active in it.

Unless Sonic is being changed back to the way he was in the previous set, I'd rather have him left alone for a while. I don't consider him as bad a character anymore. He has horrible matchups against certain chars *CoughG&Wcough*, but we can not expand hitboxes so changing speed (Which is what I suggested) and combos is the only thing we can do to remedy that and obviously not many Sonic mains are looking forward to an "E-Z approach dial-a-combo char."

Revven

FrankerZ
Mauser, the Usmash discussion is already over. And the fact that those who support it aren't being as vocal shows that those who support it don't care as much. The best way to be fair is through majority rule, and if you don't have the majority, complaining about it isn't going to do much..
Here's my take:

Usmash spike set up for some sweet as hell combos, seriously. I don't understand why, at all, it needs to go.

In other words, I don't honestly care AS much as most people on the IRC seem to care (there's a lotta people on there who liked the change), whatever makes the Usmash a VIABLE option, I'm all for.

But, whatever, you're the mains, I guess you guys know more about Sonic than I do.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Sonic mains amuse me.

You get possibly one of the coolest buffs of any character and you reject it off of the basis that it's "not how the move originally worked." Despite the fact that the entire point of brawl+ is basically to say "screw sakurai" and completely throw away his vision for brawl in favor of one that is more closely in line with the games that came before it, you still uphold a character trait he designed solely upon on the reason that he designed it. This is horribly flawed within the construct of brawl+, and is exactly the kind of thinking that keeps people playing vbrawl. There's nothing wrong with changing the way a move works if it makes sense within the context of the character and (most importantly) actually contributes to balance. This seems to have flown over some people's heads, as evidenced by how absurd some of the counterexamples in this thread are: Making usmash be invincible throughout, come out frame 1, have 0 winddown, and be a OHKO move is not a balanced solution to anything - it's just a crazy irrelevant example that the only thing it proves is that we have the ability to easily break characters if we so wanted to. It's a good thing that's not our goal, isn't it?

Sonic mains amuse me.

You're given a techchase option, something which thoroughly compliments sonic's playstyle, and you reject it off the basis of sonic being about "bait and punishment." Hey, that's great. So you managed to bait someone. How do you plan on punishing them now? By leading into a move that starts techchasing? No. You would rather his usmash act like any other usmash in the game and launch upward, to be used as a fairly bland combo move that requires a whole lot less prediction to use effectively, but grants a considerably smaller potential reward. So instead of giving sonic something that's even remotely unique that thoroughly compliments him and his playstyle, you want to instead buff him in extremely linear ways that only serve to further homogenize the cast. Great choice.

Sonic mains amuse me.

Top Bottom