• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic+ ~UPDATED OP 11/15/09~

With momentum you can use it to combo AND punish relatively safely.
Given, but how are his other options inferior? Uair juggles are still effective, and much safer with the disjoint. Bair still kills better, and has more range. Fair needs work, so it does make this one a bit obsolete. Dair...well dair is a STF aerial. Much different application than the nair.

Nair's hitbox is pathetic, as is it's priority even in relation to Sonic's other moves. Most of the time it won't connect well if you do it from a straight dash. It's basically a sex kick with an unbelievably crappy hitbox. It doesn't compromise his other options.

And I'll have to disagree with vBrawl Sonic being boring relative to the rest of vBrawl. He was more fun than most of that game. He was just horrible. >_>

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Given, but how are his other options inferior? Uair juggles are still effective, and much safer with the disjoint. Bair still kills better, and has more range. Fair needs work, so it does make this one a bit obsolete. Dair...well dair is a STF aerial. Much different application than the nair.

Nair's hitbox is pathetic, as is it's priority even in relation to Sonic's other moves. Most of the time it won't connect well if you do it from a straight dash. It's basically a sex kick with an unbelievably crappy hitbox. It doesn't compromise his other options.

And I'll have to disagree with vBrawl Sonic being boring relative to the rest of vBrawl. He was more fun than most of that game. He was just horrible. >_>
Well in relation to his aerials they may not be the best, but his smashes for one seem a lot less appealing with it. Bair still kills better but you can't really combo into it at killing percents, and Fair can be punished even if you hit with it. I was really only meaning in relation to his kill moves.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
When someone hears that a usmash spikes, it's almost a knee jerk reaction to think it is a ridiculous idea. That's pretty much all they need to know for every argument against the spikesmash I've heard. (given that I haven't read the giant walls of text)

I certainly hope that no vBrawl players would come in here up in arms about a game they don't play. I'll give everyone the benefit of a doubt and assume they've all spent a lot of time with Brawl+ Sonic.

Scratch that last.
Well, I would hope that people who didn't main Sonic isn't telling me what kind of character he is.

Scratch that.

Usmash takes into account balance and gameplay of the character. He needed kill power, Usmash is a move that goes through quite a lot, and sets up for his new Dsmash(Complimentary buff). Its a way to setup for a kill move that doesn't hand it to Sonic on a platter.

It actually being a good option that makes it worth risking an approach that Sonic didn't have before is not a bad thing just because it always sets up for something. I'd like to know why people have such a problem with that.

Sonic is not the same in Brawl+. He has momentum, has approaches, he has punishment already. What he was in vBrawl was a boring character. Every character can bait and punish, Sonic just happened to not have much else besides it.
Again with these non Sonic mains telling Sonic mains about Sonic. Boring? He has plenty of bait options. It's just his punishing factor that was kinda lackluster, especially when it came to killing. But as far the baiting is concerned, its what makes Sonic.

And he has one of the top 5 taunts in the game.

Usmash does not get rid of the need to bait and punish. Thats what grabs are for, Usmash is used for different situations like anti-air (Which you mentioned). If its really a big deal that it can be thrown out I suggested the start-up time could be upped. Even though it still comes out pretty slow and will obviously get predictable. You guys act as if Usmash all the sudden becomes the only thing he needs to do.

Hey, he was underrated and overrated at the same time. vBrawl in itself has a lot of boring moments.

Marth can bait and punish with Fsmash, Kirby can zone then punish with Bair, Pikachu can spam tbolts all day and Dsmash when they're close. Does that necessarily mean they are the end-all-be-all playstyles of that character? No, it doesn't. These characters can also approach fairly well, can time their moves to outprioritize in range, have good OOS options for defense and are overall very versatile. Hm what else do they have in common? Oh yeah, they're all better than Sonic.
Ok, so you can't spam Fsmash. Nice. BUT, you spam Bair to success and you can spam dsmash and tbolts with success if you opponent aint that smart. This new usmash spike can be spammed, whether or not the opponent is smart, he just has to get read correctly. You either roll to the left for a guaranteed hit, roll to the right for a guaranteed hit, or stay there and take a guaranteed hit. And you can get away with it. The whole "problem" with vBrawl is the ability to camp and spam. So why would I not be camping and spamming with my nifty little spiking upsmash to victory? Hmm?? Its not like my attacks are being scaled at all.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Again with these non Sonic mains telling Sonic mains about Sonic. Boring? He has plenty of bait options. It's just his punishing factor that was kinda lackluster, especially when it came to killing. But as far the baiting is concerned, its what makes Sonic.

Ok, so you can't spam Fsmash. Nice. BUT, you spam Bair to success and you can spam dsmash and tbolts with success if you opponent aint that smart. This new usmash spike can be spammed, whether or not the opponent is smart, he just has to get read correctly. You either roll to the left for a guaranteed hit, roll to the right for a guaranteed hit, or stay there and take a guaranteed hit. And you can get away with it. The whole "problem" with vBrawl is the ability to camp and spam. So why would I not be camping and spamming with my nifty little spiking upsmash to victory? Hmm?? Its not like my attacks are being scaled at all.
I mained Sonic in vBrawl for a while. I got bored of him. Not to mention maining him in vBrawl doesn't mean anything in relation to Brawl+, because its a different game.

Because it has bad start up time and is really easy to see coming? Point being that every character can do the whole bait & punish thing, and sometimes even better. Those characters that do have more options then just bait and punish(NOT Sonic) are higher on the tier list because of that reason. They have better options for more situations. Usmash is a new option for a situation that was previously not worth risking in a game where punishment was so high.

shanus

Smash Hero
This thread is painful to read. Can you guys move on already? Sonic nair change, for/against? Or has nobody even bothered testing because they are too caught up in this thread?

Just as a side note (which I have no further plans to respond to any posts regarding this), I also think the pure concept of removing utility for "hit and run" is dumb given that during a techchase you have to guess the opponent direction or action (1 of 4 or more, we can even adjust the endlag on the upsmash to ensure its not a reactionary techchase as so many of you are implying which is fairly stupid), then condition them (mindgames, anyone?), but hey you guys are the sonic mains so you all can be stuck in your own little world :-P

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I mained Sonic in vBrawl for a while. I got bored of him. Not to mention maining him in vBrawl doesn't mean anything in relation to Brawl+, because its a different game.

Because it has bad start up time and is really easy to see coming? Point being that every character can do the whole bait & punish thing, and sometimes even better. Those characters that do have more options then just bait and punish(NOT Sonic) are higher on the tier list because of that reason. They have better options for more situations. Usmash is a new option for a situation that was previously not worth risking in a game where punishment was so high.
other characters are higher than him partly because of the SBR's ignorance on the character.
Sonic has other options than bait and punish. They're just not as viable because of his character design in relation to vBrawl. Example, uair. Yeah, it "juggled and comboed" in vBrawl, but now, it juggles and combos in Brawl+, and correct me if I'm wrong, but other than that hitstun, there are no move specific buffs to uair, right?

Maining him in vBrawl may mean nothing to Brawl+, true, but you can't go and tell me that vBrawl Sonic was a tech chaser.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Never before have I seen such whining about a character.

*looks at GW thread*

Oh wait....

Either way, it seems to me that Sonic is the most poorly designed character in the game. The entirety of his being screams untapped potential.

Then again, I'm not a Sonic main, so I know nothing.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I'd rather have Sonic with no buffs at all then to have a Nair buff. Bair is more deserving of a speed boost.

I don't think he really needs aerial lag reduction. It would be okay for comboing (Nair mostly) but that can be done without making them unpunishable. Fast fallers are the ones who really deserve it more.

other characters are higher than him partly because of the SBR's ignorance on the character.
Sonic has other options than bait and punish. They're just not as viable because of his character design in relation to vBrawl. Example, uair. Yeah, it "juggled and comboed" in vBrawl, but now, it juggles and combos in Brawl+, and correct me if I'm wrong, but other than that hitstun, there are no move specific buffs to uair, right?

Maining him in vBrawl may mean nothing to Brawl+, true, but you can't go and tell me that vBrawl Sonic was a tech chaser.
Nope, no specific buffs.

I never said Sonic was a techchaser. Techchasing is just a logical follow-up for something that you want the player to work for and that the other player can work to get out.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
So you mained the character for a short amount of time and was bored. I told you boredom has nothing to do with it.

vBrawl has everything to do with Brawl+ because you are not working from scratch.
You still have these characters, with these moves, with this speed and so on and so forth.
Physics can change but the gameplay is the same.

Sonic is bait and punish. Even if we completely ignore vBrawl, this is something that remains the same.
He has the speed to punish Does not have the mobility to weave in and out to hit and run like wario.
Lacks the sheer range that marth has for opening up defense.

So the aguments still remain.

Because it has bad start up time and is really easy to see coming? Point being that every character can do the whole bait & punish thing,
This is true but...
Try baiting and then puishing with Olimar.
Or Tl, or Bowser, or Lucas, Wolf metaknight, Pit, Diddy, Luigi.
Those characters cannot accomplish bait and punish on the level that Sonic can.
Every character can do anything that the others can provided they have the tools.
Everyone can make a rush at another character, doesnt mean they cand o it successfully, doesnt mean their gameplay revolves around what they are bad at.

This is what Sonic is good at, this is what his mvoes are geared for, his mobility is geared for, the way his moves behaves.
It is true that anyone can bait and punish, but tht does not mean their gameplay is bait and punish.

Give sonic a projectile I can projectile camp, does not mean I am good at it and that my gameplay is projectile camping.
and sometimes even better.
Name a character that can punish a move that is 15 frames long while being the distance of 1/4th of FD.
Or can rush forward and hit Ikes Fair before it comes out even while he is moving back.
A character can punish harder it is true. Does not mean they can punish better.

Ike can punish with a 43% kill with an Fsmash punisher.
He puishes harder but is not a better punisher than Sonic. He jus cannot punish nearly as often nor has as many times to do so.

Usmash is a new option for a situation that was previously not worth risking in a game where punishment was so high.
Punishment is rather poor in vBrawl. it fell down to who could do it more which is why Sonics bait nd punish game is among the best. He does it so often and does good damage for it.

If Luigi is Nairing going for Usmash for Sonic is certainly worth it.
the move is anti air and great for keeping opponents above sonic where he can harass them with Uair.

bait the Nair, punish with Usmash.
You cannot rush with it lik you do now.
You could not setup in a 40% combo/kill with it as you could now.
It did not make using the rest of his options null.

Edit: We can always debate Nair. I am more in favor of his kill moves being set up which offers much more options without making his bait and punish game so much lesser.

Edit2: To save up space any parts I agree with I have cut out of my reply.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
A more powerful nair sounds like fun (also sounds like what I've wanted since March08)

Never before have I seen such whining about a character.

*looks at GW thread*

Oh wait....

Either way, it seems to me that Sonic is the most poorly designed character in the game. The entirety of his being screams untapped potential.

Then again, I'm not a Sonic main, so I know nothing.
Sonic, poorly designed? Maybe, but the thing is, the game was designed to be played with item. Thus Super Sonic. Thus some sakurai-esque idea of balance. I.E. let's not make Sonic too powerful because his Final Smash is going to be a ridiculously overpowered fan service.

In terms of tourney play, Sonic isn't poorly designed, he just has some neat little flaws that keep him from being better than MK. I mean, he is Sonic, and he is supposed to be this super fast hedgehog, and you could just take all of his attacks and make them, you know, faster than MK's. BUT, that would break the point, wouldn't it?

shanus

Smash Hero
Try baiting and then puishing with Olimar.
Or Tl, or Bowser, or Lucas, Wolf metaknight, Pit, Diddy, Luigi.
Those characters cannot accomplish bait and punish on the level that Sonic can.
Uhhhhhh................. Uhhhhhhh..................

I don't think I need to say anything beyond that.

Actually I do. I'm sorry Shadowlink, usually your posts I think are pretty good, but you know that that statement is flat out untrue and wrong.

Umby

Smash Master

Actually I do. I'm sorry Shadowlink, usually your posts I think are pretty good, but you know that that statement is flat out untrue and wrong.
I believe the intentional message more so referred to how Sonic can punish even moves with small amounts of ending lag after succesfully baiting them, which your bolded characters can't do as well, save maybe Olimar or Metaknight.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero

Olimar is baiting and punishing?
He waits for you to make a msitake before he attacks you?
Does he not toss pikmin and **** to force you into approaching him?
Does he not pivot grab while you are in a neutral position knowing you cannot harm him and he i safe to constantly harass you?

Does Metaknight have incredible range?
Does he not space you AGGRESSIVELY?
Does he not toss out his moves knowing he can hit you and you cannot hit hi?
Does he not open up holes in your defensive with his moves and attack properties?

What about Diddy?
Does he not whip out his bananas knowing that when they bounce off your shield he can dasha ttack, grab, whatever?
Is he not renowned for his offesive gameplay that allows him to breakt hrough the defensive aspect?
How does he bait and punish when he has a tool that can break open defenses extremely well?

Does ToonLink not camp hard? Does he not force you into approaching? Does he not force you to go offensive? Does he not force your defense to cease with his incredible projectile game?

Luigi is the only one I could give up for being wrong.

Sonic has to force a reaction, he does not force you to drop your defense by camping like Olimar or TL.
He does not force you open with his incredible rush game like MK.
He does something to bait the reaction then punishes you for reacting.
he does not FORCE it like the other characters can or rather, cannot force it like the other can.

Let alone their bait and punishment game is not on par with sonics because they
A. Do not need to or
B. Just cannot punish as much as Sonic can.

shanus

Smash Hero
You don't think TL or Diddy can either :-O?

If anything, those 4 have vastly greater combo potential and damage and can punish just (or near) as fast as Sonic with a lot more punch behind em :-P

I think for all the characters listed they all have aerials with larger hitboxes and damaging hitboxes out earlier or equal to sonic on at least one move. This is frame data off the top of my head though.

Also SL:

Olimar has terrible priority save for his uair. You know how you make olimars worried? You keep the pressure on them. You know those pikmin he is throwing? They aren't just being hurled for ****s and giggles (and damage). Most of the time its to try and bait them into a reaction and punish them. See, I can use bait and punishing too. The same applies for all of the other characters listed. Metaknight doesn't need to play aggro heavy. Hell, go watch a video on youtube entitled "patience" which sums that up pretty well. Diddy's nanerz are so bait and punish that there is no point in even arguing about it.

Here is a little rule of thumb for you. If big moneys on the line and a character can do something gay, it'll be done. MK might play aggro heavy, but his spacing game to bait you into an opponent can be deadly. That was one of his clear defining strengths in vBrawl. Stop putting sonic up on a pedestal about bait and punish. Its seriously ********, any character can do it. If you want to call sonic a character who can hit and run, do it. But claiming sonic is the supreme bait and punish character doesn't make him a special snowflake.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
You don't think TL or Diddy can either :-O?
Re-read my post.
They can but they do not punish as much stuff as Sonic can.

If anything, those 4 have vastly greater combo potential and damage and can punish just (or near) as fast as Sonic with a lot more punch behind em :-P
Except that the moves with which they can punish froma similar range typically do not combo.
Diddy can I admit being wrong on that but for what need when he gains a larger benefit frmo breaking open their defense?

I think for all the characters listed they all have aerials with larger hitboxes and damaging hitboxes out earlier or equal to sonic on at least one move. This is frame data off the top of my head though.
Frame data wise yes, they are as fast in terms of their attack coming out. The thing is, those characters cannot punish within the same time frame. This is on a standing opponent. What about an Ike using a retreating Fair? None of those characters can touch him without risk. Sonic can easily rush in DURING the Fair and just powershield through and attack.

TL cannot do that. he can toss a bomb but that does not guarantee a bad situation.
As opposed to sonic who can get a gra/potential edgeguard.

Except Diddy. Cause bananas are gay so I admit being wrong concerning Diddy. =P

Olimar has terrible priority save for his uair.
Well its not that the priority is really bad.
Its more like they act like specials.
They clang and shiz.

You know how you make olimars worried? You keep the pressure on them. You know those pikmin he is throwing? They aren't just being hurled for ****s and giggles (and damage). Most of the time its to try and bait them into a reaction and punish them. See, I can use bait and punishing too. The same applies for all of the other characters listed. Metaknight doesn't need to play aggro heavy. Hell, go watch a video on youtube entitled "patience" which sums that up pretty well. Diddy's nanerz are so bait and punish that there is no point in even arguing about it
Oh I have seen the patience video for Metaknight.
Hav you ever seen a Sonic or Wario replicate it?
yeah they do it much better, and they can punish the opponent who is a greater distance away.

Concnering Olimar. He is FORCING a reaction. That is the difference between him and Sonic. pikmin are unshieldable, free damage. The opponent MUST get them off otherwise Olimar just tacks o damage without any risk whatsoever.

Sonic does not do that. He does not toss and unshieldable projectile that FORCES the opponent to react.
Watch malcolm play, do you believe thtat at any point he actually goes out and does something similar to Olimar? Where he just FORCES a reaction during his approach?
Course not.

Here is a little rule of thumb for you.[/qute[
Thisis the best part.

If big moneys on the line and a character can do something gay, it'll be done. MK might play aggro heavy, but his spacing game to bait you into an opponent can be deadly.
Oh so now we are comparing a character who plays gayly?
In which case, have you ever seen Wario air camp? Or Sonic continously run from the opponent?
You mentioned patience and it showed a very gay MK.
Now substitiute Metaknight with a character that runs MUCH faster, moves through the air MUCH faster, and can cancel his moves into a 1 frame shield.
And all the while that eh is playing gay, he can punish his opponent from a greater distance than MK because of his insane speed.

That was one of his clear defining strengths in vBrawl. Stop putting sonic up on a pedestal about bait and punish.
In what way am I putting him on a pedestal concerning bait and punish?
I am saying how sonics gameplay REVOLVES around bait and punish.
The characters you mentioned.
They dont.

Which is my point.

Its seriously ********, any character can do it.
I see you do not udnerstand.
Sonic revovles around bait and punis.
Metanight has his aggro spacing game.
Olimar and TL have camping.
Diddy has his insane rush.

Do any of those characters gamelay revolve around bait and punish?
No

If you want to call sonic a character who can hit and run, do it. But claiming sonic is the supreme bait and punish character doesn't make him a special snowflake.
Except that the examples I provided are to explainas to why sonics bait and punish game is something he revolves by, where as the opposing characters do not.
Inf act, considering how all of my posts are talking about Sonics gameplay revolving around bait and punish, simple as that , which is the point of my posts, which makes your rather, witty response, completely unnecessary.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Except the thing is that event hough you changed the physics yu did not take the gameplay outside of its context.
Its still a "knock the guy out the arena." you are still working within the ontext of the game originally created and not building from scratch.
A Toyota truck and a Mercedes Benz are both cars, and both build upon the basic foundation of what makes a car, but there are still plenty of differences between them in the way they were designed.

Sakurai was lead designer, he was not the only designer let alone the programmer.
Would it be more cofrrect to say the way a move is commonly used?
Sakurai personally balanced this game, so it's quite fair to call it sakurai's fault.

And now you're beginning to make a bit more sense.

In vbrawl a properly spaced Usmash is unpunishable.
Considering the speed up, hitstun and the like its more difficult.
K.

Let me rephrase because I was not clear earlier by itent. (hecen why i hthink you presume designer intent). I refer to the way it is commonly used.
The Dthrow is not used a a tech chase.
At 0% the opponent can completely avoid being tech chased or evne punish you (only a few characters, most get regrabbed or jabbed).
Dthrow leads to absolutely no setups either because the position at which the opponent sets themselves afterwards is neutral. There is no follow up.

I do apologize for the confusion concerning my intent on how a move is meant to be used.
I did not mean designer but the way a move is being used.
So you're talking about how the moves are actually used in vb, rather than the way they were intended by their designer. Fair enough. Although brawl+ has drastically changed how many characters are played, already, making previously useless moves useful and other moves that were previously essential less so, and this is just based off of the physics changes that are applied to everyone.

Also, is that still true about the dthrow even after the run speed increase? About not being able to followup unless they tech toward.

Let us assume that Dthrow was capable of setting up tech chases. he still would ot be a tech chase character because of the fact that the rest of his options do not designate him as a tech chase.
Even back before people knew about teching the Dthrow and teched the second bounce, there was n follow up that could be done unless the opponent teched toward you.
Punishing something can be done by grabbing. Grabbing would lead to dthrow which would lead to techchasing. Bait and punishment? Yeah. But the punishment is in the form of techchasing, rather than combos. One throw - one move - is all it takes to have a strong techchasing game. Look at falcon - most people label him primarily as a combo character, but his dthrow and dair create for a strong techchasing game as well, which is still a key part of his character.

I am sorry I said that ti doesn't and you counte rby saying it does.
In spite fo the fact that I explained that when the changes were made as well as the results that occur afterwards, clearly did not care for balance or his gameplay!
So basically what just happened was "I'm right" "No, I'm right" "I'm right" "No, I'm right," as nothing really just got done.

This is getting tiring.
Sonic's Dthrow=/=gameplay
Everything else says, bait and punish not tech chaser.
And as i said earlier, even if Dthrow forced a tech on the bounce, sonic had no optios unless the opponent teched towards him.
I kept using the same argument because it was the same argument I was countering and didn't feel like rehashing the whole thing again each time.

When another person attempts to separate the two into two different things I find it necessary to explain as to why their definition is wrong. Not to insult their intelligence, as opposed to you coming in and blatantly mocking Sonic mains who KNOW the character including people like malcolm and BT who are reputable Sonic players ad know the character inside out.
The reason it looks like I'm telling you all how to play your own character is because you're looking at things in a very black and white manner. Characters are not (or at least should not be) linear. There are many things that go into making their playstyle. You can play a bait and punish game that uses techchasing as a form of punishment, or you can rely on small combos as your punishment game... or both. Sonic being able to techchase does not suddenly make him no longer a character that relies on bait and punish. If it does, then the usmash clearly needs more tweaks because it was made too good.

Since apparently you are going to keep reusing this argument (which I already refuted),
jigglypuff is meant to be an agro character because she can use Dair~rest for low percent kills.

bad arugments are bad.
I kept reusing that argument to counter an argument you kept reusing.

you act as if character diversity was something I mentioned.
You act as if you need to have mentioned something for me to present something as an argument on my own terms.

Except it is out of context. Again EVERYTHING ELSE.
By that logic I can say Captain falcon is meant to kill opponents at low percents due to falcon punch and so we should make several of his moves have higher KN.

Let alone that the solutions would not be equal when you take into account the physics changes as well as the cahracters abilities as well as the fact that itis out of the charcters context.

last I saw, one move doesnot make Sonic a tech chaser, especially a move that does NOT lead to tech chases even when a standing tech is performed.
You going to continue?
You keep acting as if everything is black and white. As if a character can only be a bait and punish character or they can only be a techchaser. Although I do not doubt you're right about sonic's dthrow, I think you're really looking at the matter in the wrong way.

Except you said earlier that we should be going in favor of the greater buff earlier that was unique.
mine is both unique and a greater buff as were your earlier specifications. And it compliments his style nicely since if you screw up, I punish with Usmash.
How long are you going to keep dragging this on for? There's a very large difference between a unique buff that breaks a character and one that does not. Stop acting like we don't care about character balance because we do.

So what?
You are debating with me not the other Sonic mains and feel free to ignore them if they reply to you.
If you feel this was a waste of time then obviously this debate with you was fruitless since it means you have not given a thought to the possibility of it being wrong.

Then again you are trying to counter my argument concerning sonics gameplay with Dthrow.
K.

My apologies, do tell me where I made the error and I shall correct them.
Here: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7335691&postcount=218
And here: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7335817&postcount=228

shanus

Smash Hero
Re-read my post.
T
Frame data wise yes, they are as fast in terms of their attack coming out. The thing is, those characters cannot punish within the same time frame. This is on a standing opponent. What about an Ike using a retreating Fair? None of those characters can touch him without risk. Sonic can easily rush in DURING the Fair and just powershield through and attack.

Except Diddy. Cause bananas are gay so I admit being wrong concerning Diddy. =P
1. Olimar DACUS or WAC upsmash or more
2. Diddy a million things(you openly admitted that one though so its fine)
3. TL boomerang and possibly hookshot (not positive on that one, it may or may not have transcendent priority aka slash2 hittype)
4. I nerfed MK hard enough where this option wouldn't be safe.

You also missed the other half of my post after i edited it in seeing your post right before mine.

Enough arguing outside characters though in this thread. Just please dear god stop refering to bait and punish so much. Can people just discuss whats on the table right now or people will see 0 changes to sonic lol

Umby

Smash Master
Enough arguing outside characters though in this thread. Just please dear god stop refering to bait and punish so much. Can people just discuss whats on the table right now or people will see 0 changes to sonic lol
IMO, the discussion might not be able to move on unless people can come together and decide how they want Sonic+ to be, which may very well revolve around discussing Sonic's BnP abilities.

But perhaps a discussion on Nair should be called to order in the interim.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
1. Olimar DACUS or WAC upsmash or more
It actually does not punish as much stuff as Soics dash alone. It doesn't go the same distance.

3. TL boomerang and possibly hookshot (not positive on that one, it may or may not have transcendent priority aka slash2 hittype)
Boomerang yes, hookshot?? o.
It does not go as far as Sonics dash would in the same amount of time.
(less than 15 frames 1/4th of FD).

4. I nerfed MK hard enough where this option wouldn't be safe.
I am usure what this part was referring to sorry it got lost I think

You also missed the other half of my post after i edited it in seeing your post right before mine.
I editted it.
My point is that sonic is bait and punish as a character. Those other characters can do it, but their gameplay does not revolve around it.

Well the bait and punish thing is to refer to sonics gameplay

A Toyota truck and a Mercedes Benz are both cars, and both build upon the basic foundation of what makes a car, but there are still plenty of differences between them in the way they were designed.
Except that both of those cars are designed for different purposes.
A mercedes benz does not have the power to tow like the toyota truck would.
or does the toyota have the ability to race.
Their differences created a different purpose.

(I assumed a racing version of the emrcedez apologies if I made an error)

For brawl and Brawl+. i spite of the differences between them, the basic goal of the game as wel as the purpose remained the same.

Sakurai personally balanced this game, so it's quite fair to call it sakurai's fault.
not really. He did not catch Snakes Utilt did he?
I am quite sure that was far from intentional.

And now you're beginning to make a bit more sense.
Clarification is a good thing.

So you're talking about how the moves are actually used in vb, rather than the way they were intended by their designer. Fair enough. Although brawl+ has drastically changed how many characters are played, already, making previously useless moves useful and other moves that were previously essential less so, and this is just based off of the physics changes that are applied to everyone.
Not realy, in spite of the changes Sonics gameplay remained unchanged (if we ignore the buffs).
In spite of losing his cancels he still retained the same functions.

I am quite sure this is true for several other characters in terms of gameplay.

Also, is that still true about the dthrow even after the run speed increase? About not being able to followup unless they tech toward.
Standing tech? Not 100% sure, I think it can still be done.
moving away tech. Positive about it.

They can always avoid it entirely by DIing up and away though and avoiding the tech chase.

Punishing something can be done by grabbing. Grabbing would lead to dthrow which would lead to techchasing. Bait and punishment? Yeah. But the punishment is in the form of techchasing, rather than combos. One throw - one move - is all it takes to have a strong techchasing game. Look at falcon - most people label him primarily as a combo character, but his dthrow and dair create for a strong techchasing game as well, which is still a key part of his character.
he difference betwee those moevs and Sonics is that, they actually lead into a tech chase.
They aren't avoidable once they have been performed. You can't avoid getting tech chased by Diing. (well except for Dair at higher eprcents.)
nor did those moves require editing.

For Sonic, All he has is Dthrow which does not even set up for a tech chase even when it was teched 9except when moving towards).
Or the Dthrow could be DI'ed and reset things to a neural position.

Though I feel you are talking about Brawl+ i which case the Dthrow tech chase is still avoidable with proper DI. Or you can tech it in front of Sonic (which is easier now) and just avoid the chase entirely.

So its still not tech chasing and none of his other moves are techchasing unless edited.

So basically what just happened was "I'm right" "No, I'm right" "I'm right" "No, I'm right," as nothing really just got done.
Pretty much.

I kept using the same argument because it was the same argument I was countering and didn't feel like rehashing the whole thing again each time.
True.

The reason it looks like I'm telling you all how to play your own character is because you're looking at things in a very black and white manner. Characters are not (or at least should not be) linear. There are many things that go into making their playstyle. You can play a bait and punish game that uses techchasing as a form of punishment, or you can rely on small combos as your punishment game... or both. Sonic being able to techchase does not suddenly make him no longer a character that relies on bait and punish. If it does, then the usmash clearly needs more tweaks because it was made too good.
How is Sonic linear? he has many options when it comes to bait and punish without the Usmash spike.
He can still perform many different thing as punishment.
Adding in the Usmash just because you feel Sonic is linear is hardly any reason to add in the Usmash.

Look at melee Falcon. How many of his combos end with a knee?
Doesn't make him a linear character because he had so many options for achieving it.
This is the same for Sonic, he still has many options for gaining the desired result.

I kept reusing that argument to counter an argument you kept reusing.
Then do you feel it has changed?

You act as if you need to have mentioned something for me to present something as an argument on my own terms.
I cannot read your mind and understand as to why you mentioned character diversity in response to my argument unless you go into a bit more depth.

if you are referring to the character being unique, how is Sonic not unique?
How many characters revolve around bait and punish?
Let alone that every character will share one thing or another, what differentiates them is the degree to which they perform the actio.
hence why we see marth and MK being different frmo the cast in their gameplay.
yeah they can bait and punish like Sonic, just not to the same degree ad their gameplay doesnt revolve around it either.

You keep acting as if everything is black and white. As if a character can only be a bait and punish character or they can only be a techchaser. Although I do not doubt you're right about sonic's dthrow, I think you're really looking at the matter in the wrong way.
No hardly. I do not believe they can only be one thing r the other.
Melee Falcon employed bait and punish as well as tech chasing. The thing is that his moves were also bit for it too.
He had his Dair, Dthrow and several other moves.
For Sonic, this is just not the case.
He ist like Falcon in which he has tech chasing as a repertoire.

How long are you going to keep dragging this on for? There's a very large difference between a unique buff that breaks a character and one that does not. Stop acting like we don't care about character balance because we do.
Depeds on my mood. j/k.
The reasno I keep dragging it on is because the reasons just dont seem to fit.

if Sonic is bait and punish and his options certainly prevent him from tech chasing, why add tech chasing when it isn't a part of his character context.

I'll leave out the character balance because its wrong on my part.

Give me a few moments.
Edit: Whoops sorry about that my computer tends to save what I copy and paste and then spits them out from newly copied to latest copied. I placed your name by accident.

Edit2: I fixed the errors. (I hope) Please point out if I missed any errors or made new ones @_@

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
First off, I absolutely hate how off topic this topic has gotten. I wish I was a mod, I really truly do. But, I have come to grips with the fact this forum and especially this topic WON'T become what we originally intended for it. But I did feel like I had to address this whole 'bait and punish' business. So here goes.

-DK can bait into his D-air or grab to start the U-air domination. He can also bait into his Donkey Punch.

-Wolf can bait into his D-air to start an aerial combo or he can bait the opponent and punish with a F-smash.

-Wario is also about baiting people with his aerial control and then swooping in and punishing.

-Samus can bait people with her projectile game and Z-air and then punish with her close combat skills.

-Ganondorf can bait opponents with his F-air and then punish with a jab or even a Wiz Kick if the roll.

-Snake can bait people in with his explosives, mortar slide, and other random tricks and then use his sick tilts to punish.

I can sit here and name em for all 39 characters how they can bait and punish opponents all day. You know what separates these characters from Sonic? Not only are some characters better at baiting and punishing then Sonic, they all have other tricks to fall back on.

DK can b-air spam to approach and tilt spam to swamp approaches away and Wolf can keep pressure on the opponent with his feral-esque attack pattern, decent range, his projectile, and his reflector (even if the vertical one is removed). Point is, every character can bait and punish. It's a corner stone of the fighting game. Baiting and Punishing isn't some thing exclusive to Sonic, it's not even exclusive to a few characters.

And here comes my point...Sonic mains talk how he is just a bait and punish character but you know what we call someone who has one good skill? We call them a one-trick pony. Once you figure them out they hardly become a threat. So we give Sonic a buff to his tech chasing game, something he LOST since D-throw is ****** proof to tech now thanks to the code and it gets shot down.

I'm fine with that. I was never 100% sure about the whole thing anyway. But for the love of everything holy give us something to work with. The only other thing I'm hearing is Sonic is a hit and run character. So give us suggestions on how to buff that aspect of him. Get off the bait and punish BS cause we aren't buying it.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
-Nair needs a buff.
-Dsmash, a little too safe and spamable.
- I think what everyone wants is a balanced Sonic so lets drop this whole hit and run thing and discuss metagame so i can get out this thread lol cuz what i really want is a balanced game where every charactr is viable without being OP. (not saying the whole tech-chase thing is OP. Dsmash maybe)

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
*facedesk*

No DUH, EVERYONE can bait and punish.
The difference being is the number of options available to that character for BnP.
Dk, yes he gets a large reward from baitig and punishment, tons of characters other than DK can gain a MASSIVE reward from baiting and then punishing.

The difference being the number of options.

Sonic dashes to an opponent.
he then side B's. What will Sonic do?
Well he can Shield.
jump cancel
shield then use OOS options.
shield cancel into another side B
shield then Fsmash.

That is the difference, in comparison to other characters, Sonic has much more to utilize for his BnP game. Sure he cannot punish as hard as DK or Ike or Ganondorf, but the options available to him allow him to punish alot more than those respective characters and with different options.

That is why Sonic mains say he is a BnP character, because his gameplay is so attuned to it, and because he has so much more options for it when it comes to BnP.
DK cannot claim that nor can Ike
Sure they can punish harder, but the options they have for performing BnP is more limited in comparison to Sonic.

Which i covered in earlier posts if you would have read them. Even the most recent ones to Shanus.

And here comes my point...Sonic mains talk how he is just a bait and punish character but you know what we call someone who has one good skill? We call them a one-trick pony. Once you figure them out they hardly become a threat.
A one trick poy is someone who can only do one thing and one thing only.
Wolf for example is a character in vBrawl who is not very deep, but does rather well because wha he does is effective.

So you can figure him out, doesn't mean you ca exactly go out nd stop him easily.

Concerning Sonics BnP game, he has TONS of optins that he can utilize.
So while you know he will try to utilize that BnP game constantly, he has may options so you cannot simply figure him out and then reduce his threat to nothing..

Hence why Sonic averages #20 in character rankings.
He has many options in play that it can hardly be said he is something easily stopped.

So we give Sonic a buff to his tech chasing game
His non-existent tech chasing game but do go on.
, something he LOST since D-throw is ****** proof to tech now thanks to the code and it gets shot down.
HE NEVER HAD A TECH CHASING GAME TO BEGIN WITH.
If you do not understand how the character played in vBrawl, how can you even state what he had to begin with?

Since you did not play vBrawl Sonic here is the tech chasing he had.

Dthrow. When the opponent teched on the second bounce, and teched TOWARDS him.
Standing tech=nothing
Away tech=nothing.
DI anywhere near up=airdodge and land wihthout a tech and in neutral position where Sonic has to start over.
tech on first bounce=Sonic gets into a jab match (loses out to characters like squirtle, Falcon etc etc.).

You are trying to say Sonic had a tech chase game when he has none.
Its been a year since March 2008. Get caught up.

I'm fine with that. I was never 100% sure about the whole thing anyway. But for the love of everything holy give us something to work with. The only other thing I'm hearing is Sonic is a hit and run character. So give us suggestions on how to buff that aspect of him.
The thing is, you don't need to do anything or his BnP game.
The mechanics that were put in rawl+ did plenty for him.
Dash dancing
Pivot
Crouch canceled dashes
momentum to his jumps.
He still has ALOT of tools to work with his BnP game.

The thing though, is that his main weakness is simply, landig a killing move.
Killing itself is not an issue. Sonics knockback is actually quite good when fresh.
The issue is that he has issues LANDING the kill move.
Fsmash is 17 frames
Dsmash (sped up recently)=16 frames
Bair=13 frames.

With absolutely no setups whatsoever.
That has always been Sonics bane in vBrawl. He can get the damage, but he cannot LAND (keyword here) the killing blow.

Edit: Since manypeoplehere are under the idea that Sonic had some tech chasing i regular brawl(togowithhis BnP game), if it can be shown that Sonic had something that guaranteed a tech chase or at least,placed the opponent in a terrible situation after a tech, i will gladly endorse the idea ofa Usmash spikig(though at the least it should have the start up slowed down so that it isnt so abusable).

It has to be a valid tech chase. Not something that is easily avoidable.
vBrawl btw in case someone wants to act silly.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Sonic isn't a bad character. The fact he got this huge of a thread is beyond me. So, I don't forsee him getting something kill a DK down-smash. Some sort of fast, strong, and go-to killer. Which is why I liked the U-smash spike. It set up for kills but they weren't guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination. He still had to punish the person accordingly.

So we all agree Sonic builds damage well he just can't finish the job, so how do you go about letting him finish the job, but play to his bait and punish strengths? How do we let Sonic set up for his kills but not make them guaranteed? After all, we should play to Sonic's strength as a bait and punish sort of guy. Techchasing was the easiest solution but it wasn't well received. So reach me. How are we going to solve this problem.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Sonic isn't a bad character. The fact he got this huge of a thread is beyond me. So, I don't forsee him getting something kill a DK down-smash. Some sort of fast, strong, and go-to killer. Which is why I liked the U-smash spike. It set up for kills but they weren't guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination. He still had to punish the person accordingly.
Dsmash is actually a guaranteed method of killing someone o wake up.
Crouch canceled dashes and all.
And a guaranteed grab.
It ***** on platforms.

So we all agree Sonic builds damage well he just can't finish the job, so how do you go about letting him finish the job, but play to his bait and punish strengths? How do we let Sonic set up for his kills but not make them guaranteed? After all, we should play to Sonic's strength as a bait and punish sort of guy. Techchasing was the easiest solution but it wasn't well received. So reach me. How are we going to solve this problem.
Just speed up the kill moves like Dsmash was sped up.
It will do ALOT for Sonic.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I'd like to fix the problem where you can't do a down-smash from a crouch. I think that would help Sonic some. But fair enough. We can certainly look into speeding up another kill move for Sonic.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
That is a VERY flawed argument. :ohwell:

*rechecks thread* Oh wait, SL already covered that one for me. :laugh:
And here comes my point...Sonic mains talk how he is just a bait and punish character but you know what we call someone who has one good skill? We call them a one-trick pony. Once you figure them out they hardly become a threat. So we give Sonic a buff to his tech chasing game, something he LOST since D-throw is ****** proof to tech now thanks to the code and it gets shot down.
Actually.... D-throw was easily techable in vBrawl and Sonic mains would get punished for it. Not a lot of ppl actually know about it though, haha.

Shanus, the Nair code is great, Nair actually has a use now, but do to bad range it'll take some time getting used to (I never used it in vBrawl D: ). Its a great Air vs Ground move due to low landing lag though. :)

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Is it so bad to buff Sonic's techchasing game? It seems like he needs it somewhat.

He won't be like Captain Falcon, where he techchases from something into a killer. It's just that he can techchase when the opportunity presents itself. We don't have to make him a techchase character, but it'd be nice if he could also rely on something else to a secondary degree.

The simplest character in the game, to me, is G&W. Even he can mix up his game. You can play him campy aggressive, hovering around shields and poking at defenses with your priority, be fully defensive, walling out people, or you can be aggressive, plowing through people with your priority.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
TechCHASING!?

No Kaiser, why should the fastest character in the game chase anything? He obviously can ONLY use that amazing speed for baiting and punishing. Think before you post.

It sickens me that you make such misconceptions of my character.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
And he has one of the top 5 taunts in the game.
What.

Right, anyway, back on topic. Seriously, guys, wtf? You're arguing about playstyles. Playstyles. Playstyles are opinion. They are not fact. Dear god, stop repeating 1029581092851092 times that Sonic is a BnP character. Stop repeating 902395898137598172 times that Sonic is a techchase character. I don't care how you play, what you use, or how you want it to be. You could be to Brawl+ what Isai was to SSB64, and if I don't like your opinion, I'm not going to support it. If the general opinion is that an usmash spike does not complement the feel of the character, then take it out. A small group of rabid raving foaming-at-the-mouth fans isn't going to do anything except prove to be one gigantic obstacle for moving forward. Like this thread. Now can we please for the love of god get off the usmash subject and talk about something else? Your arguments are doing nothing for Sonic except causing dissension and bad will on both sides.

Of course, I'm not a Sonic main, so my opinion doesn't matter. At all, since apparently I have no right to play Sonic since I don't main him, or to voice my opinion, or to say anything contrary to what you believe. Hey, whoever it was that replied to my last post several pages back? That was sarcasm. This is sarcasm too. I just thought you might want to know that, since you've apparently never seen it before.

Feel free to reply, quote, and rip into my statement, furthering prolonging the development and balancing of this character. Naturally, anyone who disagrees with your opinion must be dealt with swiftly and surely, rather than attempting to progress the metagame and community by helping to make Sonic a better character. It's not like making Sonic better is important, let's all just spend days getting angry about how someone else doesn't like a move!

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
What.

Right, anyway, back on topic. Seriously, guys, wtf? You're arguing about playstyles. Playstyles. Playstyles are opinion. They are not fact. Dear god, stop repeating 1029581092851092 times that Sonic is a BnP character. Stop repeating 902395898137598172 times that Sonic is a techchase character. I don't care how you play, what you use, or how you want it to be. You could be to Brawl+ what Isai was to SSB64, and if I don't like your opinion, I'm not going to support it. If the general opinion is that an usmash spike does not complement the feel of the character, then take it out. A small group of rabid raving foaming-at-the-mouth fans isn't going to do anything except prove to be one gigantic obstacle for moving forward. Like this thread. Now can we please for the love of god get off the usmash subject and talk about something else? Your arguments are doing nothing for Sonic except causing dissension and bad will on both sides.

Of course, I'm not a Sonic main, so my opinion doesn't matter. At all, since apparently I have no right to play Sonic since I don't main him, or to voice my opinion, or to say anything contrary to what you believe. Hey, whoever it was that replied to my last post several pages back? That was sarcasm. This is sarcasm too. I just thought you might want to know that, since you've apparently never seen it before.

Feel free to reply, quote, and rip into my statement, furthering prolonging the development and balancing of this character. Naturally, anyone who disagrees with your opinion must be dealt with swiftly and surely, rather than attempting to progress the metagame and community by helping to make Sonic a better character. It's not like making Sonic better is important, let's all just spend days getting angry about how someone else doesn't like a move!
I never said anything about Sonic being a techchaser. I even said a long time ago that Sonic lacked the tools to techchase, while tons of others were saying "Sonic is just an amazing techchaser guys." I just think its ridiculous that we are limiting ourselves in balancing the character simply because some find it too easy, can't find uses for it, don't want to take the time to tweak it, or think it veers too much from a game that has nothing to do with Brawl+ now. I want Sonic to be balanced, thats why I ask for more consideration then just ranting outbursts.

A small group of fans? How about people who have been in the project for quite a while, have spent time discussing other things besides Sonic and have contributed to the project since the beginning? We're the ones foaming at the mouth? I have never seen so many people come out of nowhere to overreact to a buff for a character in Brawl+ history. Some can say that means its obviously a horrible idea, I just think people are too overzealous to drive home the fact that we are obviously misguided and out of the loop trying to make decisions for suchhhh a complex character.

I already said I'd much rather leave Sonic completely untouched for now. Let people make use of him at a high level of play in Brawl+ after the game has become more then just something people try on the weekends or play next to Brawl at tourneys before making anymore preemptive judgments about his playstyle.

Sonic dashes to an opponent.
he then side B's. What will Sonic do?
Well he can Shield.
jump cancel
shield then use OOS options.
shield cancel into another side B
shield then Fsmash.
All characters can do this. Run up and shield, or run up and jump. MK can DC Dsmash, DC FTilt or Shuttle Loop in their place, chars like even Charizard and Bowser still probably have better OOS options too.

They pretty much cover the bait and punish part except for with more streamlined options that have better reward.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
TechCHASING!?

No Kaiser, why should the fastest character in the game chase anything? He obviously can ONLY use that amazing speed for baiting and punishing. Think before you post.

It sickens me that you make such misconceptions of my character.
I'm more amazed that the fastest character in the game has such a tough time getting lag reduction added to his moves and general speed ups.

You'd think that would be the first thing to be added over a down spiking upsmash.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
I'm more amazed that the fastest character in the game has such a tough time getting lag reduction added to his moves and general speed ups.

You'd think that would be the first thing to be added over a down spiking upsmash.
Utilt was the first to be sped up iirc, then the Dsmash was sped up, and Fsmash was a little stronger THEN we got the spike. I'm not counting the physics since thats a given. I would make a few moves faster though.

Less frames on the Fsmash would probably be nice. IIRC, it is one of the slowest Fsmashes - the heavies, we would probably would have to give up the Fsmash BKB buff though, which would probably be a nerf instead of a buff. So for anyone wanting it to be faster, you really shouldn't want that. :l

3-5 frames less on the Bair start up would be very nice. Its so much harder to space with it due to the added momentum of the cast and due to Sonic's lack of aerial control it is a mediocre at best spacing tool. :dizzy:

Is Dsmash such an issue? I really didn't think it would be a new MK dsmash, but maybe toning it down by 5 frames on wind down would suffice? Lets test this before giving the nerf. How many frames exactly did it take away?

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Let me add an idea for Sonic. It involves specifically Bair, critique as you see fit.

Bair BKB Sweet Spot: +5%
Bair BKB Sourspot: -15%
Bair Start up Frames: -3 to 5 (currently 13)

Its a very undeveloped idea. But it can be debatable.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
All characters can do this. Run up and shield, or run up and jump. MK can DC Dsmash, DC FTilt or Shuttle Loop in their place, chars like even Charizard and Bowser still probably have better OOS options too.
Really? So every character their can IMMEDIATELY stop their movement, go into their 1 frame shield DURING their move, then transition to one of their other options?

MK DC Dsmash. He cannot cancel the Downsmash can he?
Sonic dashes side B's cancels the side B with a shield then uses an OOS option.
Yes characters can do something similar, I already acknowledged that repeatedly, the difference being that Sonic can retain his options rather than having them reduced.

They pretty much cover the bait and punish part except for with more streamlined options that have better reward.
So Metaknight can duplicate dashing forward, starting up his Side B and then cancel his Side B with either shield or jump cancel and retain the options to do whatever afterwards?
Sonic doesn't remain committed once he performs a move.

Yeah every character do perform bait and punish, but Sonics does it to a greater degree and has a very unique ability to simply cancel an attack upon landing it. Even in vBrawl where shieldstun is piss poor you cannot grab sonic if he hits your shield with a roll because of the canceling ability.

@ispin: I would be more into the speedup than the KB icreases. primarily because sonics abiltiy to rack up damage is good and would quickly make up for the KB. Considering hitstun I dont think the kn would really be needed either would it?

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion

Unlike Fox or Falcon (A character who did specifically get lag reduction) Sonic is not a fast faller and does not need to be as hard to punish. Generally most his important aerials already auto cancel too. As far as speedups go, Dsmash was one buff already done, with Bair being one I am currently in support of.

Really? So every character their can IMMEDIATELY stop their movement, go into their 1 frame shield DURING their move, then transition to one of their other options?

MK DC Dsmash. He cannot cancel the Downsmash can he?
Sonic dashes side B's cancels the side B with a shield then uses an OOS option.
Yes characters can do something similar, I already acknowledged that repeatedly, the difference being that Sonic can retain his options rather than having them reduced.

So Metaknight can duplicate dashing forward, starting up his Side B and then cancel his Side B with either shield or jump cancel and retain the options to do whatever afterwards?
Sonic doesn't remain committed once he performs a move.

Yeah every character do perform bait and punish, but Sonics does it to a greater degree and has a very unique ability to simply cancel an attack upon landing it. Even in vBrawl where shieldstun is piss poor you cannot grab sonic if he hits your shield with a roll because of the canceling ability.

@ispin: I would be more into the speedup than the KB icreases. primarily because sonics abiltiy to rack up damage is good and would quickly make up for the KB. Considering hitstun I dont think the kn would really be needed either would it?
Sonic doesn't have to commit to the move sure, but thats one of the things the other characters don't need because their moves aren't bad. Metaknight can fly above people and he only really needs one good option to keep most of Sonic's at bay, like Dair. He doesn't have to commit to anything by flying around but its just as effective at baiting. (Disregarding the opponent not actually knowing what Sonic can do, because at a high level of play they will). What you're saying is that Sonic can be safer throwing out X moves, but its hard to say baiting and punishing is his strength nor that he does it better than any other particular character, he just does it different.

Either way, looking at the top tier characters you see that they're top tier because they have more options and strengths. They can give high pressure, camp, outrange, edgeguard and bait + punish. Balancing Sonic by helping him in other areas that he NOW has potential to excel in (because of universal changes in Brawl+) is not a bad thing.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Sonic doesn't have to commit to the move sure, but thats one of the things the other characters don't need because their moves aren't bad. Metaknight can fly above people and he only really needs one good option to keep most of Sonic's at bay, like Dair. He doesn't have to commit to anything by flying around but its just as effective at baiting. (Disregarding the opponent not actually knowing what Sonic can do, because at a high level of play they will). What you're saying is that Sonic can be safer throwing out X moves, but its hard to say baiting and punishing is his strength nor that he does it better than any other particular character, he just does it different.
Actually BnP is his strength because of the behavior of those moves. Being able to cancel your mvoes allow him to bait an opponent more easily. Where as other characters would toss out a move and then be committed.

So when the opponent does one thing, Sonic can keep his options open to react appopriately.
So if they try to wall him off, Sonic maintains his optons so that he can react appopriaely to the opponents behavior.
None of which are like MK's rush or spacing game.

Of course the opponent will know what Sonic can do.
Just as they will know what MK can do.
That does not mean you can easily shut down your opponents gameplay. Simply because they have so many options.

So you may know Sonic is going to try to bait you, you wont know how he will do it or what he will use.

Either way, looking at the top tier characters you see that they're top tier because they have more options and strengths. They can give high pressure, camp, outrange, edgeguard and bait + punish. Balancing Sonic by helping him in other areas that he NOW has potential to excel in (because of universal changes in Brawl+) is not a bad thing.
In what way?
Sonic is fast he can be a great tech chaser!
Several characters are quick and would obviously be great at tech chasing.
However, the context of Sonic doesnt include tech chasing.

@shanus: I can do it in a moment but the t.v is taken
What frame data do you need exactly?
Duration?hitbox?

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Actually BnP is his strength because of the behavior of those moves. Being able to cancel your mvoes allow him to bait an opponent more easily. Where as other characters would toss out a move and then be committed.

So when the opponent does one thing, Sonic can keep his options open to react appopriately.
So if they try to wall him off, Sonic maintains his optons so that he can react appopriaely to the opponents behavior.
None of which are like MK's rush or spacing game.

Of course the opponent will know what Sonic can do.
Just as they will know what MK can do.
That does not mean you can easily shut down your opponents gameplay. Simply because they have so many options.
Being able to toss out a move safely and it actually being better at baiting the opponent are different things. Sonic doesn't limit the opponent's options, nor does he gain a special advantage from mixing-up these moves(Especially with shieldstun now) that all basically do the same thing other chars can.

MK baits just fine by just hovering above his opponents, and he still remains safely uncommitted to anything. He can bait by shuttle loop canceling and Dair people who approach, he doesn't need as much freedom to throw out more safe moves simply because those two cover him well enough for BnP.

You can say Sonic's moveset is specifically built with that unique ability to cancel, but the exact purpose and effectiveness of it in practical play can vary greatly and we should accept that.You can say a lot of well-known Sonic's purposely make use of those moves with that playstyle to win in vBrawl too, but I don't think its very relevant as the character is undoubtedly different now.

In what way?
Sonic is fast he can be a great tech chaser!
Several characters are quick and would obviously be great at tech chasing.
However, the context of Sonic doesnt include tech chasing.
Several characters are quick and are ALREADY great at techchasing. All I hear is that Sonic apparently shouldn't be one of them.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Being able to toss out a move safely and it actually being better at baiting the opponent are different things. Sonic doesn't limit the opponent's options, nor does he gain a special advantage from mixing-up these moves(Especially with shieldstun now) that all basically do the same thing other chars can
Never said he limits the options of others.
I said unlike other characters, he maintains his options.
So when he dashes towards an opponent.
He isnt limited to only his shield and grabs and dash attack like other characters.
his side B cancel lets him whip an attack out and also act as a defensive move.
Where as other characters would be limited in such a position, Sonic would not be.

MK baits just fine by just hovering above his opponents, and he still remains safely uncommitted to anything. He can bait by shuttle loop canceling and Dair people who approach, he doesn't need as much freedom to throw out more safe moves simply because those two cover him well enough for BnP.
That is not bait and punishing.
That is zoning. He is above you Dairing, keep you within his attack zone (where he can hit you) while staying out of yours.
He limits your options in a forceful manner, he isnt punishing you for reacting.

For example guilty gear where its baiken vs Potemkin.
Potemkin zones the hell out of baiken. He can swing his arms about ut Baiken cannot do anything because she cannot hit him due to being outside of his range.

This is the same with MK using his Dair and shuttle loop canceling.
Let alone shuttle loop canceling is not the same as Sonics sideB cancel at all.
Sonics sideB cancel can be done during the charge of the move.
And can be canceled during the move.

Shuttle loop canceling is neither, it involves glide slashing the ground to remove the ground lag AFTER the shuttle loop cancel.

You can say Sonic's moveset is specifically built with that unique ability to cancel, but the exact purpose and effectiveness of it in practical play can vary greatly and we should accept that.You can say a lot of well-known Sonic's purposely make use of those moves with that playstyle to win in vBrawl too, but I don't think its very relevant as the character is undoubtedly different now.
how is the character different?
Sonic is STILL a BnP type of character.
he does not zone like Marth or DK.
He cannot rush like Diddy.
He cannot camp like Olimar and force the opponent close.

He relies on his ability to space the opponent and to punish the opponent.
This has not changed in brawl+.

With the new Usmash spike.
His gameplay changes entirely.
Usmash has been sped up by a great degree and now setups for a spike and its difficult to punish.
Sonic no longer would need to rely on his BnP game.

Several characters are quick and are ALREADY great at techchasing. All I hear is that Sonic apparently shouldn't be one of them.
We are probably thinking different characters.
Those that you are thinking of, already had a tech chasing game to begin with.
Falcon, Falco hell even Ganondorf.
They had the ability to tech chase already, even more so with Brawl+'s changes.
Sonic still does not tech chase even with the brawl+ change.
So why give him something that is outside the context of his character?

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Wouldn't the Usmash be the punish part of BnP... and allowing him to continue his punish and extend it with tech chase skills?

I mean...

::shrug::

Top Bottom