• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic+ ~UPDATED OP 11/15/09~

Yingyay

Smash Ace
Ok I played a couple of matches of B+ in NYC, against Silven an BlueTerrorist and a couple of others.
Me, Silven and BT(sonic user) all complained that Sonic's dsmash is too good. Unpunishable on block and its too spamable that he might as well be metaknight on crack. Serious-mode, his dsmash is too safe.

@Leaf

Im not a sonic main but i do know enough about having a main to know why the dis-agree with certain changes to their characters. Wither its inevitably a good change or not, people want their mains to be their pride and joy, if certain moves are garbage and deserve to be changed then we'll agree on it. If the move is good or doesnt need changing then no one complains about it. If a change is made that will inevitably break their character from the way that they're traditionally played then of course we'll disagree with it. Its not that we dont think certain changes arent the best idea, its more a matter on how the character should be played.

Sonic in this case already had the tools to do watever he needed, adding anything else would take away from the traditional feel of the character. Sheik for instance (my main >=3) is a combo character, Brawl's reduced hitstun made that hard to do without spamming just one move over and over again. Brawl+ thankfully added hitstun, making her a true combo character again. Sonic in vBrawl was more hit and run character and thanks to ccertain pro players he's able to do it right. Brawl+ added hitstun and sheild-stun added on to his playstyle but enabling him to combo a heck of a lot more once he punished you. He was perfectly fine like this. But all this added tech-chasing stuff made wasnt needed. If you know how to play Sonic then you dont need help tech-chasing. He has the speed for watever he needs to do. He's like one of the only characters that can camp in FD without projectiles. COME ON

Glad they amuse you, Leaf. They took away my spikesmash. D:

This should probably be put to a vote or something. We're not getting anywhere with this argument, as it's completely a matter of opinion.

And out of curiosity, with the nair's lackluster range and priority, how exactly is it making any other options worthless?

Arkaether

Smash Ace
You know what amuses me? People who assume that the way they play a character is automatically the way the character should be played, failing to take into account personal preferences.

So it compliments your playstyle. Good. Cool. It sure as hell doesn't compliment mine.

But hey! Why should my opinion matter? Why should I have the right to say, "I like bland upwards combo moves"? It's not like my playstyle is legitimate, or my input counts.

Of course not! Who ever heard of personal opinion? Such silly old wive's tales. I think I'll go learn how to techchase with Sonic now, even though I hate techchasing. It's how he's meant to be played!

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Sonic mains amuse me.
Fox mains amuse me
You get possibly one of the coolest buffs of any character and you reject it off of the basis that it's "not how the move originally worked." Despite the fact that the entire point of brawl+ is basically to say "screw sakurai" and completely throw away his vision for brawl in favor of one that is more closely in line with the games that came before it, you still uphold a character trait he designed solely upon on the reason that he designed it.
Ecept for the fact that the coding that you are using is based off the original brawl code.
You don't get something from nothing.
Everything that was done in this game so far required a basis for it. The physics changes, everything, the way the game handles fallspeed, hitstnu etc etc.

Let alone that since we are talking about Sonic the hedgehog(a character who is based off of baiting and punishing in his games) it hardly has anything to do with sakurai.

bg deal its a cool lookign buff.
That makes the gameplay of the character pretty much irrelevant.
Bait and punish? Naw, we run in with a fast, high priority move that sets up for the perfect tech chase, then land a combo every time.

This is horribly flawed within the construct of brawl+, and is exactly the kind of thinking that keeps people playing vbrawl.
So the justification that we should drastically alter the concept and gameplay of a character just because you dislike brawl?
Christ no wonder brawl+ has so many issues, people believe we need to make dramatic changes to the character in order to make a difference
Which we DONT.
If you look at successful fighting games such as guilty gear, characters retained their original gameplay. They were given new moves, had small changes, and they were immense.
Baiken jumped two whole ranks just because of the small tweaks they made, even despite the nerfs to her sakura and yousanzen.

You do not need great change to make something successful.
Let alone you cannot completely disregard the game FROM WHICH YOUR CODERS HAVE CREATED THEIR CODE FROM.

There's nothing wrong with changing the way a move works if it makes sense within the context of the character and (most importantly) actually contributes to balance.
Oh look, a statement that was shown wrong.
By people who play Sonic at a high level in regular brawl where his original concept is seen.
So obviously that means the Usmash spike is not within the context of the character, and we already know that it does NOTHING for balance other than being a cool new buff.
So...

This seems to have flown over some people's heads, as evidenced by how absurd some of the counterexamples in this thread are: Making usmash be invincible throughout, come out frame 1, have 0 winddown, and be a OHKO move is not a balanced solution to anything - it's just a crazy irrelevant example that the only thing it proves is that we have the ability to easily break characters if we so wanted to. It's a good thing that's not our goal, isn't it?
Oh look someone who strawmans an argument and completely rips the example proided out of context.
Now,s eeing as how you've come in guns ablazing, I am quite sure you aren't planning to go back to read my argument so I will lay it for you.

Changes that are made that do not take into account the balance nor take into account the gameplay of that character are not acceptable.
Otherwise it is eprfectly acceptable to make a frame 1 usmash, with 0 widn down, OHKO move. Since it is arbitrary, and does not take into account the characters gameplay nor the balance of the game. Just like the Usmash spike does.

Good? Good?
Sonic mains amuse me.
Fox mains amuse me.
wait a second, isn't this a repeat of the beginning of my reply?
*checks*
Yep.

You're given a techchase option, something which thoroughly compliments sonic's playstyle, and you reject it off the basis of sonic being about "bait and punishment."
Oh look, someone who does NOT main the character is trying to say that this buff compliments the characters gameplay style, even though the best, and most knowledgeable Sonic main says it does not.
Let alone that includig members of brawl+ including dark Sonic also state Sonic being bait and punish.

Meanwhile the Usmash spike makes him into a tech chase character.
Which is outside of the characters gameplay.
Especially when you also take into account his other moves.
Obviously sonic is not meant to be a tech chaser and you yourself have admitted that changes that go outside the characters context are not to be used.

Sooo? Contradiction?
Hey, that's great. So you managed to bait someone. How do you plan on punishing them now?
Baiting is where you cause the opponent to use a move that is not favorable for them and can be punished.
Simple.
By leading into a move that starts techchasing? No. You would rather his usmash act like any other usmash in the game and launch upward, to be used as a fairly bland combo move that requires a whole lot less prediction to use effectively, but grants a considerably smaller potential reward. So instead of giving sonic something that's even remotely unique that thoroughly compliments him and his playstyle, you want to instead buff him in extremely linear ways that only serve to further homogenize the cast. Great choice.
Really?
So a character who is created for the purpose of bait and punishment (as we have seen with his capability) as well as the fact that EVERYTHING else he has does not move towards tech chasing, means we should give him a tech chasing option?
Even though this is outside of the characters gameplay?
Even though it is outside the context of that character?
There's nothing wrong with changing the way a move works if it makes sense within the context of the character
Yet in spite of this you want to give Sonic something unique, outside the context of his character, tat does NOT compliment his style of gameplay, for a big reward?

As I said earlier, I want my 1 frame ,0 wind down, invincible OHKO Usmash..
It is outside the context of the character, is unique, and provides him a higher reward!
Sonic mains amuse me.
Fox mains amuse me.
Oh wait we did that twice already.

Edit: Since i am feeling sarky I will give you reasoning as to why this spike does not fit Sonic.

Sonic is bait and punish. We know this from the speed of his moves, the way he can cancel his approaches while keeping his options open as well as the behavior of his moves once they have been performed.

So as we see from his options as well as the high level gameplay that ew have seen from users such as Malcolm and Espy and mr. 3000. The INITIAL idea of Sonic being a tech chaser is obiously incorrect.
As such based upon context alone (which you ensrse by the way) the Usmash spike is unacceptable.
When you also consider the speed boost, shield stun, you know have a move with a BIG hitbox, high speed, travels a far distance and is difficult to punish (unless you preedict it but that goes for everything really). You no longer need to bait and punish when you can simply up smash, tech chase, gain an instant 40%.

Sonic is a bait and punish character. He is not a tech chaser. The fact that you disregard the opinion of a HIGH LEVEL sonic player as well as Sonic's capability as a character, only shows that you do not know much about Sonics gameplay nor understand the character.

Take a hint from ARC.
baiken.
issue with zoning.
Gave her a new counter (412 Hs). Sends her to the other said of the opponent while slashing.
It a completely NEW move. Much larger than editing an existing one. yt we see that the actual change compliments her defensive gameplay style (countering) so it is within the context of the character , it also aids in her weaknesses.

So you have something that is a buff, is within the context of the character, is unique.

You mentioned earlier how Sonic gets a bigger reward. so what? Remember that Usmash I suggested. Sure as hell get a bigger reward from that, but that doesn't mean it is acceptable.
Jut because it provides a bigger reward isn't reason to add it.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
You know what amuses me? People who assume that the way they play a character is automatically the way the character should be played, failing to take into account personal preferences.

So it compliments your playstyle. Good. Cool. It sure as hell doesn't compliment mine.

But hey! Why should my opinion matter? Why should I have the right to say, "I like bland upwards combo moves"? It's not like my playstyle is legitimate, or my input counts.

Of course not! Who ever heard of personal opinion? Such silly old wive's tales. I think I'll go learn how to techchase with Sonic now, even though I hate techchasing. It's how he's meant to be played!
Oh, you don't like techchasing. Then I guess it's settled. It shouldn't be in. We're all done, guys! You can all thank user "Arkaether" here, who doesn't like techchasing, therefore, no one else should, either.

You want all of the other sonic players to lose out on an amazing techchasing option, even though you don't even main the character which you have said, yourself. You're fighting for this because you want sonic to be easier to play for you at the expense of giving more depth to the character at higher levels of play. That is one of the most selfish things I have ever heard on these boards.
Arkaether said:
Of course, since I don't even play Sonic seriously in the first place (just replying to what I thought seemed to be a rather bad idea), I can't provide much input either. Nobody has yet to create a Sonic guide, there hasn't really been matchup discussions, and the majority of the thread is argument about Sonic. I can say that my favorite move is uair.
And we should be taking your input about this so seriously... why?

Sonic mains People who complain about Sonic changes that don't even play him or have even been vocal about anything else on this project to date amuse me.

Shadow, I'll get to you shortly.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
^ If a Sonic player wanted to tech-chase in B+ is shouldn't be so hard cuz of hit-stun. its not like everyone is constantly gonna be in the air, usmash spike wasnt necessary to do that. You don't even need to technically tech-chase, you can bait people with his speed
If you wanna combo with Sonic, he can do it due to hitstun and its not that difficult either.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
Oh, you don't like techchasing. Then I guess it's settled. It shouldn't be in. We're all done, guys! You can all thank user "Arkaether" here, who doesn't like techchasing, therefore, no one else should, either.

You want all of the other sonic players to lose out on an amazing techchasing option, even though you don't even main the character which you have said, yourself. You're fighting for this because you want sonic to be easier to play for you at the expense of giving more depth to the character at higher levels of play. That is one of the most selfish things I have ever heard on these boards.

And we should be taking your input about this so seriously... why?

Sonic mains People who complain about Sonic changes that don't even play him or have even been vocal about anything else on this project to date amuse me.

Shadow, I'll get to you shortly.
@ Arkaether
You kinda doomed yourself when you said you dont play sonic seriously lol

accidentally double post sorry

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
What provided the idea that Sonic is this Tech Chaser you speak of?

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
I am entirely against the Usmash spike and Yingyay ShadowLink pretty much covered why.

Lets stop trying to "reinvent" Sonic and take into account of hitstun and the new physics and try to improve what metagame we had and what we have now. Sonic is unique for being a punisher and I, and a lot of other Sonic mains can agree with that. He was NEVER a tech chaser, don't know who said he was, but he NEVER was a tech chaser, get over it. Tech chasing options sounded nice when I first heard it, but now not so much.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Why bother, nobody is gonna listen anyway. Me, Ying, Malcolm and some others already explained why these buffs weren't needed. Sonic is supposed to be a hit and run character whether you like it or not. Why all of this, he's gonna suck upclose anyways (no priority remember). Just up his garbage moves, how hard is that? I swear the spike was a huge waste as I said time and time again.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
bah, this thread's a failure for constructive criticism. it seems like the only thing that people can say is to make him the same as he is in vBrawl. it's that, or there's general b+ bashing.

hell, or there's good suggestions that are theorycrafted to absolute death.

and complaining. so much complaining...i know i'm just spam in this. but how much are most of you contributing?

so, if sonic's a bait and punish character, is his baiting buffed? is his punishing buffed? he's not a combo char obviously, or so is the general consensus, so is he simply stronger? better killer?
i'm ready to start overreacting as is the theme in here...

but instead i'll cut this short. i'm not a main of him, but i sure can tell a coherent and useful idea from a broken record, and this thread's got the latter in spades.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
Well in light of the coders.
I know you guys meant well for the sake of making characters better, but there are certain things that should be left alone.
Anything to expand on what a character has is ok.
A Nair buff for Sonic is great. It'll make the move less poop
Making the uSmash spike isnt really improving on what Sonic has, it's adding something else that sonic didnt really need.
It's a good intention but not necessary.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Chalk another vote up for Usmash spike = Useless and that Sonic wasn't meant to be a tech chaser.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
bah, this thread's a failure for constructive criticism. it seems like the only thing that people can say is to make him the same as he is in vBrawl. it's that, or there's general b+ bashing.
Really?
So where have we said Brawl+ is a failure?
Last I saw I only attacked the reasoning for making these changs.
hell, or there's good suggestions that are theorycrafted to absolute death.
Anyone can make a suggestion that SOUNDS good. Does not mean it is good.
Quit your whining.
and complaining. so much complaining...i know i'm just spam in this. but how much are most of you contributing?
*points around*
The fact that mdm and myself brought up other possible improvements...
so, if sonic's a bait and punish character, is his baiting buffed?
Dash dancing, pivot, crouch canceled dashes.
Its good. His tools are no logner needed but its improved.
including his speed so yeah.
It went up.
Which I acknowledged earlier.
is his punishing buffed?
Yep.

he's not a combo char obviously,
Actually Sonic has a good number of combos. Mostly 2 hit though @_@
Largst does 43%.

He also strings too which has remained in here.
or so is the general consensus, so is he simply stronger? better killer?
i'm ready to start overreacting as is the theme in here...
Better, faster, stronger? no. Better killer? Well he had ltitle issue killing it waas morelike landing the kill.
but instead i'll cut this short. i'm not a main of him, but i sure can tell a coherent and useful idea from a broken record, and this thread's got the latter in spades.
Its understandable.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Here's the thing:

its said that the usmash spike was this cool buff that improved his tech chasing game (a game that didnt quite exist to begin with). We dont want it. We want an improvement on his bait and punish game.

Sooooo, how about we improve his bait and punish game? The thing with Sonic in vBrawl (wut does the v stand for again?) is that for as much as you could bait and you could punish, but you wouldn't quite be rewarded for it as well as you would like. Bait would imply mindgames. With his speed, Sonic has enough mindgame potential at the basis for his design, be it in vBrawl or Brawl+. Now, let's work on the punishment, where it's pretty lackluster. You wanna try and improve the Sonic game? Try improving the bait and punish game that has made Sonic what he is, with the emphasis on punish.

Huh.

Out of curiosity, do all of you spontaneous Sonic mains who I've never seen in the B+ threads before now actually play Brawl+?

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Huh.

Out of curiosity, do all of you spontaneous Sonic mains who I've never seen in the B+ threads before now actually play Brawl+?
On the weekends, I do. Switched to 4.1 about two weeks ago.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Ideas to consider.

~Buffing Dash attack (no BKB changes, less frames, more damage (?)
~Buffing Dash/Charge > Shield (less frames)

And OWOW at all the Sonic mains coming into the forums.
Well in light of the coders.
I know you guys meant well for the sake of making characters better, but there are certain things that should be left alone.
Anything to expand on what a character has is ok.
A Nair buff for Sonic is great. It'll make the move less poop
Making the uSmash spike isnt really improving on what Sonic has, it's adding something else that sonic didnt really need.
It's a good intention but not necessary.
This

vBrawl means Vanilla Brawl, think of B+ as extra toppings or adding on to a previous flavor.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
I would think almost everyone here plays or played Brawl+ else they wouldn't know what to complain about lol

Sterowent

Smash Ace
bah, i never said you thought it was a failure. but i did read Some of your, i'll say...'strenuous posting' argument with DS. i believe you mentioned the way about choosing the physics for b+ wouldn't work, or at least were certainly flawed.
Frankly, i don't know of a better way to start this kind of project than to make a few mistakes in the groundwork. after all, this sort of thing either catches on with like-minded people or burns out rather fast.

as for my whining, hey, this is an internet forum. a soft blend of criticism and subtle tears is mandatory at least once in awhile. also, i'm more along the idea that a blend of theorycrafting as Well as testing is the best way to go about these things. root up and throw out the glaringly bad ideas, try out the moderate or weird ones, etc. Subjective? yeah, but it gets you farther than just talkin at each other.

his buffs from the plethora of changes in B+ are nice, but he still has a hard time it seems. afraid i'm not sped up on your change ideas, and please forgive me. Those monster posts just intimidate the **** out of me.

hmm, this seemed tamer than i thought it'd be. Well, if shanus could just catch wind of a well-organized change list that seemed agreeable all around, or at least mostly, i'm sure he'd take things into consideration much more quickly. sonic mains in general here have some degrouping, or at least give one hell of an illusion to as much.

hey, uh...no one stab me with a lead pipe, please. (this is just in case)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Ideas to consider.

That'd make it kinda spammable don't you think?
Umm...spindash can already be canceled into shield almost immediately. And spin charge can only be canceled into shield upon landing remember?

vBrawl means Vanilla Brawl, think of B+ as extra toppings or adding on to a previous flavor.
Vanilla refers to the unmodified version of the game.

Though, Vanilla itself has the negative connotation of "plain" or "boring."

Sterowent

Smash Ace
what iSpiN Meant to say was.

B+ is more of a strawberry.
you know, i like to sprinkle some coconut (read: timer) on there once in awhile too...

tastes like SD...
STINGS the nostrils.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Vanilla? Wow.

Every 2 weeks. I play it at a friend's house. But you know, the friend that I practice with, we usually play Brawl where the money is. Not even that we win big tourneys, but that we at least get our moneys worth.

Vanilla is a great ice cream flavor.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Huh.

I play it. Yet the times where i raised my complaints they were ignored so I gave up for awhile.

Ideas to consider.

I like these ideas.
I dont believe dash attack should do more damage, I think its appropriate considering Sonic as well as the speed of his dash attack( where it comes out).

The second I am not too sure. The side B cacel comes out extremely fast.
But it would be useful for approaching through projectile spam ad would aid in pushing through walls.

Dash, Side B cancel on frame 1.
Frame 2 shield comes up instead of shield 4 or 5 (shields take 1 frame).

I just dont see how such a change towards Side B would change things for sonic.
To be honest I would much more prefer ihis Fsmash seeing a speed boost in terms of startup.

He has good kill power for his moves but lacks good killig moves cause they are so slow.
I would like that more than anything to be honest.
Cause I always felt that what holds back since are those slow kill moves of his.

And considering the hitstun its not like it needs a KB increase either (which was done recently).

And OWOW at all the Sonic mains coming into the forums.This

I feel like eating my brawl disc now.

Edit: Didn't see dark sonics reply about the dash attack. Hmm, it could become spammy.
Okay how about this.

Sonics dash attack has 20 frames of lag where it has no hitbox available.
Would it be appopriate to speed up this moves wind down?
keep in mind it comes out frame 4 (almost as fast as a jab).

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Ecept for the fact that the coding that you are using is based off the original brawl code.
You don't get something from nothing.
Everything that was done in this game so far required a basis for it. The physics changes, everything, the way the game handles fallspeed, hitstnu etc etc.
Your point? Any number of times in history has one man's idea been flawed and it takes another guy to fix it up, building off the ground work developed by the first guy. Just because brawl+ is based off of the original brawl does not mean we need to keep its original mechanics exactly in place. We have the ability to do things ranging from completely re-engineering its physics to just adding little extra details that merely serve to enhance something without largely changing the core gameplay.

Let alone that since we are talking about Sonic the hedgehog(a character who is based off of baiting and punishing in his games) it hardly has anything to do with sakurai.
The way a move was designed to work = developer's intent = sakurai

bg deal its a cool lookign buff.
That makes the gameplay of the character pretty much irrelevant.
Bait and punish? Naw, we run in with a fast, high priority move that sets up for the perfect tech chase, then land a combo every time.
If you're consistently using the usmash as an approach option and your opponent isn't doing anything about it there's a problem there, either in that the move may be too fast or it's simply player skill screwing it up. I'm not going to say which it is, but the former is easily fixable, while the latter has nothing to be fixed.

So the justification that we should drastically alter the concept and gameplay of a character just because you dislike brawl?
Christ no wonder brawl+ has so many issues, people believe we need to make dramatic changes to the character in order to make a difference
Which we DONT.
If you look at successful fighting games such as guilty gear, characters retained their original gameplay. They were given new moves, had small changes, and they were immense.
Baiken jumped two whole ranks just because of the small tweaks they made, even despite the nerfs to her sakura and yousanzen.

You do not need great change to make something successful.
Let alone you cannot completely disregard the game FROM WHICH YOUR CODERS HAVE CREATED THEIR CODE FROM.
Ok, I'll talk on your terms - about how a character was "designed" to be played. Sonic's dthrow was clearly "designed" to be a techchase move, meaning that techchasing was meant to be a part of sonic's game. But because of a sakurai screwup, the move is techable before sonic even finishes the animation, where the opponent then has frame advantage. If you put enough trust in sakurai to think ahead about exactly how that character would play out, then you should not be able to argue with a straight face that sonic was not designed with techchasing in mind. We would make that hit of his dthrow non-techable, but due to our limitations in not being able to edit throws with the hitbox mod, that is not possible right now, nor will it be for quite some time (or possibly ever, although I would like to think that we will get such a code eventually).

Oh look, a statement that was shown wrong.
By people who play Sonic at a high level in regular brawl where his original concept is seen.
So obviously that means the Usmash spike is not within the context of the character, and we already know that it does NOTHING for balance other than being a cool new buff.
So...
His "original concept" can't ever be fully realized in vbrawl, or even in brawl+, if no character specific modifications were made to him. All because a design flaw in his dthrow prevents him from having a good way of starting techchases.

Oh look someone who strawmans an argument and completely rips the example proided out of context.
Now,s eeing as how you've come in guns ablazing, I am quite sure you aren't planning to go back to read my argument so I will lay it for you.

Changes that are made that do not take into account the balance nor take into account the gameplay of that character are not acceptable.
Otherwise it is eprfectly acceptable to make a frame 1 usmash, with 0 widn down, OHKO move. Since it is arbitrary, and does not take into account the characters gameplay nor the balance of the game. Just like the Usmash spike does.

Good? Good?
And sonic's usmash spiking does take into account both balance and his gameplay, making your example moot.

Oh look, someone who does NOT main the character is trying to say that this buff compliments the characters gameplay style, even though the best, and most knowledgeable Sonic main says it does not.
Let alone that includig members of brawl+ including dark Sonic also state Sonic being bait and punish.

Meanwhile the Usmash spike makes him into a tech chase character.
Which is outside of the characters gameplay.
Especially when you also take into account his other moves.
Obviously sonic is not meant to be a tech chaser and you yourself have admitted that changes that go outside the characters context are not to be used.

Sooo? Contradiction?
This is getting old. Sonic dthrow. Techchasing. Blah blah blah. Done.

Baiting is where you cause the opponent to use a move that is not favorable for them and can be punished.
Simple.
Thank you for insulting my intelligence as clearly I did not know what baiting was.

Really?
So a character who is created for the purpose of bait and punishment (as we have seen with his capability) as well as the fact that EVERYTHING else he has does not move towards tech chasing, means we should give him a tech chasing option?
Even though this is outside of the characters gameplay?
Even though it is outside the context of that character?
Dthrow.

Yet in spite of this you want to give Sonic something unique, outside the context of his character, tat does NOT compliment his style of gameplay, for a big reward?
You act as if there's something wrong with increasing character diversity. Given the option between two equally effective solutions for buffing a character, one which increases a character's uniqueness and another which makes them more similar with the rest of the cast, the former would almost always be preferable. And it's not out of the context of his character - again, dthrow.

As I said earlier, I want my 1 frame ,0 wind down, invincible OHKO Usmash..
It is outside the context of the character, is unique, and provides him a higher reward!
Except the risk is not balanced with the reward... at all. This is really a horrible horrible example.

Edit: Since i am feeling sarky I will give you reasoning as to why this spike does not fit Sonic.

Sonic is bait and punish. We know this from the speed of his moves, the way he can cancel his approaches while keeping his options open as well as the behavior of his moves once they have been performed.

So as we see from his options as well as the high level gameplay that ew have seen from users such as Malcolm and Espy and mr. 3000. The INITIAL idea of Sonic being a tech chaser is obiously incorrect.
As such based upon context alone (which you ensrse by the way) the Usmash spike is unacceptable.
When you also consider the speed boost, shield stun, you know have a move with a BIG hitbox, high speed, travels a far distance and is difficult to punish (unless you preedict it but that goes for everything really). You no longer need to bait and punish when you can simply up smash, tech chase, gain an instant 40%.

Sonic is a bait and punish character. He is not a tech chaser. The fact that you disregard the opinion of a HIGH LEVEL sonic player as well as Sonic's capability as a character, only shows that you do not know much about Sonics gameplay nor understand the character.

Take a hint from ARC.
baiken.
issue with zoning.
Gave her a new counter (412 Hs). Sends her to the other said of the opponent while slashing.
It a completely NEW move. Much larger than editing an existing one. yt we see that the actual change compliments her defensive gameplay style (countering) so it is within the context of the character , it also aids in her weaknesses.

So you have something that is a buff, is within the context of the character, is unique.

You mentioned earlier how Sonic gets a bigger reward. so what? Remember that Usmash I suggested. Sure as hell get a bigger reward from that, but that doesn't mean it is acceptable.
Jut because it provides a bigger reward isn't reason to add it.
You know, I'd reply to this, too, but after seeing the swarm of sonic mains appear out of nowhere, I really get the feeling I'd just be wasting my time, and that all of this post... was... a waste... of... my time.

PS: You attributed a whole bunch of posts to me when they should've been attributed to someone else.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
That'd make it kinda spammable don't you think?
:laugh: probably

Umm...spindash can already be canceled into shield almost immediately. And spin charge can only be canceled into shield upon landing remember?
ShadowLink corrected me, scratch that idea.

Vanilla refers to the unmodified version of the game.

Though, Vanilla itself has the negative connotation of "plain" or "boring."
Did my explanation not suffice? :urg:

How about just making a few of Sonic's attacks faster or have less landing lag? *cough* less lag on Fair *cough*.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
Nair needs some kinda of buff, its punishable when it connects...wtf Sonic aint Sean from sf3.
Dash attack buff? eh.... i dont think it'd be spamable since it lasts so long (depending on if you get hit during during his last few frames or not) so i dont know how it would need a buff.
Dsmash is spammable like Vbrawl Metaknight's own. So........yea.....we all know how that turned out lol

I would think almost everyone here plays or played Brawl+ else they wouldn't know what to complain about lol
When someone hears that a usmash spikes, it's almost a knee jerk reaction to think it is a ridiculous idea. That's pretty much all they need to know for every argument against the spikesmash I've heard. (given that I haven't read the giant walls of text)

I certainly hope that no vBrawl players would come in here up in arms about a game they don't play. I'll give everyone the benefit of a doubt and assume they've all spent a lot of time with Brawl+ Sonic.

MarKO X said:
Every 2 weeks. I play it at a friend's house. But you know, the friend that I practice with, we usually play Brawl where the money is. Not even that we win big tourneys, but that we at least get our moneys worth.

Scratch that last.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion

Usmash takes into account balance and gameplay of the character. He needed kill power, Usmash is a move that goes through quite a lot, and sets up for his new Dsmash(Complimentary buff). Its a way to setup for a kill move that doesn't hand it to Sonic on a platter.

It actually being a good option that makes it worth risking an approach that Sonic didn't have before is not a bad thing just because it always sets up for something. I'd like to know why people have such a problem with that.

Sonic is not the same in Brawl+. He has momentum, has approaches, he has punishment already. What he was in vBrawl was a boring character. Every character can bait and punish, Sonic just happened to not have much else besides it.

Nair shouldn't be punishable if you connect. Maybe if it's blocked, but with the nair buff on the latest nightly build, I'd go as far as to say I think the nair is a decent move.

Dsmash is spammable. Maybe a bit of end lag, but not too much. It's honestly not a huge deal, as it doesn't do much of anything outside the first hit. The rest is more like ROB's dsmash in slow mo than MK's.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Glad they amuse you, Leaf. They took away my spikesmash. D:

This should probably be put to a vote or something. We're not getting anywhere with this argument, as it's completely a matter of opinion.

And out of curiosity, with the nair's lackluster range and priority, how exactly is it making any other options worthless?
With momentum you can use it to combo AND punish relatively safely.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Usmash does not get rid of the need to bait and punish. Thats what grabs are for, Usmash is used for different situations like anti-air (Which you mentioned). If its really a big deal that it can be thrown out I suggested the start-up time could be upped. Even though it still comes out pretty slow and will obviously get predictable. You guys act as if Usmash all the sudden becomes the only thing he needs to do.

...Uh-oh.........
Hey, he was underrated and overrated at the same time. vBrawl in itself has a lot of boring moments.

Marth can bait and punish with Fsmash, Kirby can zone then punish with Bair, Pikachu can spam tbolts all day and Dsmash when they're close. Does that necessarily mean they are the end-all-be-all playstyles of that character? No, it doesn't. These characters can also approach fairly well, can time their moves to outprioritize in range, have good OOS options for defense and are overall very versatile. Hm what else do they have in common? Oh yeah, they're all better than Sonic.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Your point? Any number of times in history has one man's idea been flawed and it takes another guy to fix it up, building off the ground work developed by the first guy. Just because brawl+ is based off of the original brawl does not mean we need to keep its original mechanics exactly in place. We have the ability to do things ranging from completely re-engineering its physics to just adding little extra details that merely serve to enhance something without largely changing the core gameplay.
Except the thing is that event hough you changed the physics yu did not take the gameplay outside of its context.
Its still a "knock the guy out the arena." you are still working within the ontext of the game originally created and not building from scratch.

The way a move was designed to work = developer's intent = sakurai
Sakurai was lead designer, he was not the only designer let alone the programmer.
Would it be more cofrrect to say the way a move is commonly used?

If you're consistently using the usmash as an approach option and your opponent isn't doing anything about it there's a problem there, either in that the move may be too fast or it's simply player skill screwing it up. I'm not going to say which it is, but the former is easily fixable, while the latter has nothing to be fixed.
In vbrawl a properly spaced Usmash is unpunishable.
Considering the speed up, hitstun and the like its more difficult.

Ok, I'll talk on your terms - about how a character was "designed" to be played. Sonic's dthrow was clearly "designed" to be a techchase move, meaning that techchasing was meant to be a part of sonic's game. But because of a sakurai screwup, the move is techable before sonic even finishes the animation, where the opponent then has frame advantage. If you put enough trust in sakurai to think ahead about exactly how that character would play out, then you should not be able to argue with a straight face that sonic was not designed with techchasing in mind. We would make that hit of his dthrow non-techable, but due to our limitations in not being able to edit throws with the hitbox mod, that is not possible right now, nor will it be for quite some time (or possibly ever, although I would like to think that we will get such a code eventually).
Let me rephrase because I was not clear earlier by itent. (hecen why i hthink you presume designer intent). I refer to the way it is commonly used.
The Dthrow is not used a a tech chase.
At 0% the opponent can completely avoid being tech chased or evne punish you (only a few characters, most get regrabbed or jabbed).
Dthrow leads to absolutely no setups either because the position at which the opponent sets themselves afterwards is neutral. There is no follow up.

I do apologize for the confusion concerning my intent on how a move is meant to be used.
I did not mean designer but the way a move is being used.

His "original concept" can't ever be fully realized in vbrawl, or even in brawl+, if no character specific modifications were made to him. All because a design flaw in his dthrow prevents him from having a good way of starting techchases.
Let us assume that Dthrow was capable of setting up tech chases. he still would ot be a tech chase character because of the fact that the rest of his options do not designate him as a tech chase.
Even back before people knew about teching the Dthrow and teched the second bounce, there was n follow up that could be done unless the opponent teched toward you.

And sonic's usmash spiking does take into account both balance and his gameplay, making your example moot.
I am sorry I said that ti doesn't and you counte rby saying it does.
In spite fo the fact that I explained that when the changes were made as well as the results that occur afterwards, clearly did not care for balance or his gameplay!

This is getting old. Sonic dthrow. Techchasing. Blah blah blah. Done.
This is getting tiring.
Sonic's Dthrow=/=gameplay
Everything else says, bait and punish not tech chaser.
And as i said earlier, even if Dthrow forced a tech on the bounce, sonic had no optios unless the opponent teched towards him.

Thank you for insulting my intelligence as clearly I did not know what baiting was.
When another person attempts to separate the two into two different things I find it necessary to explain as to why their definition is wrong. Not to insult their intelligence, as opposed to you coming in and blatantly mocking Sonic mains who KNOW the character including people like malcolm and BT who are reputable Sonic players ad know the character inside out.
Since apparently you are going to keep reusing this argument (which I already refuted),
jigglypuff is meant to be an agro character because she can use Dair~rest for low percent kills.

bad arugments are bad.

You act as if there's something wrong with increasing character diversity.
you act as if character diversity was something I mentioned.

Given the option between two equally effective solutions for buffing a character, one which increases a character's uniqueness and another which makes them more similar with the rest of the cast, the former would almost always be preferable. And it's not out of the context of his character - again, dthrow.
Except it is out of context. Again EVERYTHING ELSE.
By that logic I can say Captain falcon is meant to kill opponents at low percents due to falcon punch and so we should make several of his moves have higher KN.

Let alone that the solutions would not be equal when you take into account the physics changes as well as the cahracters abilities as well as the fact that itis out of the charcters context.

last I saw, one move doesnot make Sonic a tech chaser, especially a move that does NOT lead to tech chases even when a standing tech is performed.
You going to continue?

Except the risk is not balanced with the reward... at all. This is really a horrible horrible example.
Except you said earlier that we should be going in favor of the greater buff earlier that was unique.
mine is both unique and a greater buff as were your earlier specifications. And it compliments his style nicely since if you screw up, I punish with Usmash.

You know, I'd reply to this, too, but after seeing the swarm of sonic mains appear out of nowhere, I really get the feeling I'd just be wasting my time, and that all of this post... was... a waste... of... my time.
So what?
You are debating with me not the other Sonic mains and feel free to ignore them if they reply to you.
If you feel this was a waste of time then obviously this debate with you was fruitless since it means you have not given a thought to the possibility of it being wrong.

Then again you are trying to counter my argument concerning sonics gameplay with Dthrow.
PS: You attributed a whole bunch of posts to me when they should've been attributed to someone else.
My apologies, do tell me where I made the error and I shall correct them.

Usmash takes into account balance and gameplay of the character. He needed kill power, Usmash is a move that goes through quite a lot, and sets up for his new Dsmash(Complimentary buff). Its a way to setup for a kill move that doesn't hand it to Sonic on a platter.
How does it not hand anything to Sonic on a platter when it sets up for an EASY Dsmash?
Considering the speed as well as the large size of the hitbox, you can go fullagro with the Usmash and get a fere combo/kill.
You do not need to punish because very few characters have the tools to deal with usmash.
They cannot chase Sonic down due to how far DACUS goes.
They cannot confront it directly due to its high priority.
The best they can do is predict it and hope Sonic misspaced it so they can run up in time to punish.

Let alone as I said earlier, Sonic just isnt a tech chaser.
The spike is a good idea, initially I liked the Usmash spike, but I found that it just does not fit Sonics gameplay style and much of the time, it was just too good and made most of his other options irrelevant.

It actually being a good option that makes it worth risking an approach that Sonic didn't have before is not a bad thing just because it always sets up for something. I'd like to know why people have such a problem with that.
The thing is that it has very little risk.
In Brawl, the reason it had such high risk was due to high start up and high winddown time.
Even then if you could properly space it, the move was very difficult to punish (unless you were sonic.)
It also does not compliment himbecause Sonic waits for an opening and then punishes it.
Usmash has a high priority move, with high movement. With the speed boost that makes it that much better to use offensively.
If they shield it the shieldstun keeps them in and assuming we had brawl hitstun, the speed boost it gained ensures that Sonic is too difficult to punish without risking punishment yourself.

Just because it is a buff does not mean it is acceptable considering it just does not fit Sonics gameplay.
he is abit and punish and Usmash introduces an aspect to him that pertty much nullifies that gameplay.

I have played Brawl+ Sonic tons and I do not need to bait and punish. I use it, if I hit free smash, if I dont, bg deal im not going to get punished unless i REALLY screwed it up.

Sonic is not the same in Brawl+. He has momentum, has approaches, he has punishment already. What he was in vBrawl was a boring character. Every character can bait and punish, Sonic just happened to not have much else besides it.
Boring is a subjective term.
Sonic for me is fun.
MK is boring. so lets keep that out.

In braw;+ yes he has momentum.
In Brawl he could accomplish such behavior with several tools he had, sipnshotting, instant spindash jump, etc etc. So its not new for him.

Approaching is the same as its been. Bait, punish. Bait, puish. Sonic does not have the means to rush the opponent (unless you are using Upsmash which is soooooooooooo good dude).
he has punishment but its enhanced and makes the risk assosciated with his gameplay worth it.

The Usmash spiking+speed boost+free combo/kill just makes the bait and punishment irrelevant.

Or let us say the upsmash thing is blown COMPLETEL out of proportion ad is nowhere near as good people are saying. you would still have to deal with the fact that sonic is not someone who tech chases. Dthrow doesnt tech chase even when the opponent techs the second bounce. (they must roll towards you I tested it out repeatedly cause i initially thought D throw was good.).
And the rest of his gameplay just does not fit it.

As I said earlier, all Sonic ever truly needed, was faster kill moves. Thats it. He doesnt need enhancements to his gameplay, just to help fix his terrible weakness of being unable to land the kill move when it was needed.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Just make Sonic a little faster and maybe less landing lag. While he still may struggle KO'ing, he shouldn't be a very strong KO character, he isn't that kind of character. Just make a few attacks faster and when/if we get a Throw KB modifier we can edit his Dthrow and maybe a few others depending on what is uncovered.

Top Bottom