• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness should be banned

zelda-pk

Smash Rookie
Ness has always been an okay fighter but people just don't pay attention to his
advanced moves. It's time for all Ness mainers to get noticed!

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Snake goes 45:55 with MK. To be honest 5 BSP (bull **** points) away from 40:60 isn't that big. How big is 5% afterall? Yes, it's a little more even. But we didn't go crazy because Snake beat MK, we went crazy because Ally beat M2K in a match we waited a long time for.
Ness mains and people who have heard of how FOW is a great Ness main like me are quite happy for FOW. See, people already knew about M2K and Ally. Big deal. Then FOW, a number of people who were aware of him, but not that he was such a big name like Ally, comes around and beats Tyrant, who is well-known and has been mentioned many times before in the past, gets beat by a Ness main who shines like the sun after Smash in Nevada. A Ness main in fourth place!

You keep bringing up "Ness is a low-tier" I don't give a **** what tier Ness is. So stop rephrasing it over and over. It's of little significance because we are talking about Ness vs MK, a 40:60 matchup (so I've been told/people have been saying)
Yeah, and Meta Knight and Snake are 55:45. Wonderful.

If this were Ganon vs MK (20:80 - maybe worse) then that'd be fan****ingtastic if a Ganon beat a pro MK. But it's not a 20:80, it's a 40:60.
Which is still a significant difference. If it's not, then I'll be beating Diddy Kongs all day with my Samus.

Still good ****, but god**** this is getting annoying.
You're more than welcome to leave. No one is forcing you to return here like a dog returns to its vomit. You're the one who came in here and started johning for Tyrant. You didnt have to do that. You didn't have to come around this thread and try to ruin the fun for every Ness main.

Tyrant should've gone Marth. LOLOLOLOL
Yeah, and Tyrant would probably get *****. It's not like FOW doesn't know how Marth works. I mean, after all, I've heard about how he fought Mike Haze's Marth and was trashing him, and the only reason why FOW lost was because he thought he was going to land safely on the stage, and thus did not use his PK Thunder properly. Not to mention, FOW has experience against Marths. This kid knows what he's doing.

lain

Smash Master
Ness is low tier Susa, why are you so adamant about leaving that painfully obvious fact out?

Ness is a bad character. That's just how it is. To see FOW doing well at a tourney is nice and all, but people obviously didn't know the matchup.

Inexperience in the matchup can make a huge difference. For example, Anther plays Pikachu. Now, he is obviously one of the top players in the nation, but a driving force behind him ****** a lot of people is due to their unfamiliarity with the Pikachu matchup. He still ***** people with skill, but them not knowing the matchup makes it a hell of a lot easier.

FOW did well. Kudos to him, no doubt. You obviously can't deny what happened, a BAD character beating the BEST character. Two smart players playing each. However, FOW knew the matchup EXTENSIVELY (as does most of world), while Tyrant knew of Ness and his capabilities, but was unclear as to what exactly a smart player would do with Ness.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Then FOW, a number of people who were aware of him, but not that he was such a big name like Ally, comes around and beats Tyrant, who is well-known and has been mentioned many times before in the past, gets beat by a Ness main who shines like the sun after Smash in Nevada. A Ness main in fourth place!

You're more than welcome to leave. No one is forcing you to return here like a dog returns to its vomit.
you, sir, are quite skilled in the art of integrating similies into your arguements to get your points across.

There are a few things that FOW has proven by almost winning a set against M2K and beating Tyrant:

1. Low tier characters, such as Ness, are deadly due to the mystery that surrounds them. You MIGHT play one Ness at a tournament, but you'll play about 10-15 MKs/Snakes/DDDs/G&Ws. As it has been said before, low tiers have an advantage in this respect.

2. Ness can be good if he is used correctly. Since the beginning of competitive Melee, there have been "character heroes" that play low tier characters but consistently place well in tournaments. Deva, a brawl Washington Link main, almost beat DSF at a Washington tournament and created a similar amount of hype that we see today with FOW. There will always be that one or two people who are incredible with a particular low tier character. If those one or two people are the only ones who place well with "X character" in low tier, it cannot be assumed that said character should move up in the tier list.

There are a few other points that FOW has not yet proven:

1. Consistency will tell if FOW can compete with pros like Tyrant and M2K. If FOW places in the top 4 at genesis and sends M2K to losers bracket, then it will be safe to say that FOW (Ness) can go against top tier characters such as MK. M2K says he was "off" in the game he played with FOW, so I doubt he'll make the same mistake again and chances are that he will demolish FOW the next time that they play.

2. If FOW manages to beat another top MK at an important tourney and the community is actually given videos, then we can talk about match-ups and such. As it stands now, the main reason why FOW beat Tyrant and M2K is match-up ignorance.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
The ONLY exceptable thing to say after a match like that is,

"I got outplayed and he was better than me at the time. but I will get better and beat him the next time we cross paths"

I dont want to hear no crap aobut who hasnt played who, and who doesnt have experience, and who got gayed by who in the match before.

It sounds like tyrant needs to talk to my boy Kage about the Warrior's philosophy, cus if hes trying to say that some that happened entirely before and completely independant from his match with FOW, had any effect on the match, than he seriously needs to step his game up

Bartolon

Smash Lord
The ONLY exceptable thing to say after a match like that is,

"I got outplayed and he was better than me at the time. but I will get better and beat him the next time we cross paths"

I dont want to hear no crap aobut who hasnt played who, and who doesnt have experience, and who got gayed by who in the match before.

It sounds like tyrant needs to talk to my boy Kage about the Warrior's philosophy, cus if hes trying to say that some that happened entirely before and completely independant from his match with FOW, had any effect on the match, than he seriously needs to step his game up
This guy is saying the truth

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Im sitting here watching the stream for SiN (Smash in Nevada). and I hear about this 13 year old kid named FOW taking a game off of M2K.

Obviously I cant believe this and brush it off as blatent lies.

BUT

Then I see this boy named tyrant. on live stream. being said to be at least top 5 mks in the nation. possibly number 2 right behind M2K.

And I see this man named tyrant. LOSE.

To a 13 year old

Ness player.

named FOW.

and yet ness is still below lucas on the tier list?!?!?

I now pose this question to all you ness mainers.

W
T
F

ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIVES?!!?

GET FUTURE CAUSE IF YOU AINT FOW, YOU AINT LEGIT. STEP YO GAME UP YOU LOSER *****S

YOU NO LONGER HAVE ANY EXCUSES FOR LOSING. CUS IF A 13 YEAR OLD PLAYING NESS CAN BEAT TYRANT, ITS YOUR FAULT THAT YOUR CHARACTER SUCKS, BECAUSE THE CHARACTER IS OBVIOUSLY CAPABLE.

discuss

TRAMD

Smash Cadet
It is fair to say that Tyrant and M2K hadn't played a Ness of that caliber before but it seems a bit daft to think that they didn't know the match-up or had never played at least a decent Ness before. They just weren't well prepared for a Ness that good.

Now, wouldn't it also be fair to say that since M2K is the best MK and U.S. brawler and Tyrant is certainly up there that it is unlikely that FOW had played MKs of this caliber before (unless he has some secret 11 year-old brother who plays MK and is about to start dominating tournaments). He could know the match-up well and have played good MKs before but he hadn't played guys this good unless he had actually played M2K and Tyrant before (which would have given them experience with him as well).

I just think it is a weak argument to say that they hadn't run into a Ness this good before as it is also unlikely that FOW had run into MKs as good as them before.

Anyways, I am very happy for FOW. The Ness mains (like myself) are loving this because it gives us hope in our character that many of us had been losing hope in. I was starting to use Marth and Wario more lately but always loved Ness best and this gives me resolve to not give up on my true main. I think this is big news for Ness mains and FOW and really not for just about everyone else. I hope FOW continues to dominate and maybe proves himself worthy of being mentioned among the best smashers. That would make it big news for the community but he is not there yet.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Yeah, and Tyrant would probably get *****. It's not like FOW doesn't know how Marth works. I mean, after all, I've heard about how he fought Mike Haze's Marth and was trashing him, and the only reason why FOW lost was because he thought he was going to land safely on the stage, and thus did not use his PK Thunder properly. Not to mention, FOW has experience against Marths. This kid knows what he's doing.
You didn't catch my sarcasm with the LOLOLOLOLOL?

Talk about failing.

Ness is low tier Susa, why are you so adamant about leaving that painfully obvious fact out?

Ness is a bad character. That's just how it is. To see FOW doing well at a tourney is nice and all, but people obviously didn't know the matchup.

Inexperience in the matchup can make a huge difference. For example, Anther plays Pikachu. Now, he is obviously one of the top players in the nation, but a driving force behind him ****** a lot of people is due to their unfamiliarity with the Pikachu matchup. He still ***** people with skill, but them not knowing the matchup makes it a hell of a lot easier.

FOW did well. Kudos to him, no doubt. You obviously can't deny what happened, a BAD character beating the BEST character. Two smart players playing each. However, FOW knew the matchup EXTENSIVELY (as does most of world), while Tyrant knew of Ness and his capabilities, but was unclear as to what exactly a smart player would do with Ness.
Because, it's cool FOW got that far but that's not really what they are going YEE-HAW! about. Ness is low tier but tiers != matchups. Ness could be high tier, mid tier, bottom tier, ****ing non-existant and hacked into the game tier, and it would make no difference so long as the matchup was 40:60 against him.

Overall ranked against the entire roster Ness is a "bad character" but ranked against only Meta Knight (which is what this Ness vs MK ordeal is about) Ness is the "slightly disadvantaged" character.

@TRAMD

Yes, but FOW has ran into many Meta Knights. I doubt Tyrant has run into even half that number of Ness's. (M2K may have but even then even he may have not.

M2K adapted and beat FOW in tournament. Tyrant did not, he lost.

I'd love to see a rematch sometime in the future simply to either prove FOW can constantly beat Tyrant or if Tyrant truly was matchup deprived.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
i recently talked to tyrant. tyrant says fow is good for a ness player, but he was really mad about losing to m2k in winners (he should have won the set, but m2k made a startling comeback and clinched game 2&3) so he was pretty mad about it and had mad johns vs. fow.

he has never played a ness in his life, and being that the current metagame is vs. MK, it isn't surprising that he should lose...

i'm pretty sure he underestimated fow as well, and was taking him lightly.

whatever, in my honest opinion i think it was poor match up experience on tyrant's behalf, but i don't think anyone is seriously contending that ness has the potential to beat MK, so...basically, i wouldn't expect a repeat.

sorry to kill the hype.
So, Tyrant DID john after all.

As Sonic counters Inui, Ness counters Tyrant.
Fact.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Could somebody lock this ****ing topic? The talk about Tyrant not knowing **** about Ness and FOW knowing a lot about MK is becoming a bother. Hell, we can't be happy without other people who don't main MK or Ness getting butt hurt. I mean God forbid someone like lain beat M2K and people got really happy! But when it comes to this kid who deserves this recognition because he's always been good and nobody ever bothered saying anything, it's suddenly a brush off! Good job!

What's done is done. If you don't care about FOW, then get the hell out. And if I get infracted for this, it was well worth it.

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
What he's saying is that your post was pointless and childish.

And sarcasm that isn't funny is just rude. The humor in it is what makes sarcasm socially acceptable.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
My response to him was, because he isn't deserving of a better response.

I don't give a **** if I'm being rude. A lot of honesty could be taken as extremely rude.

"Do I like fat in this dress?"
"Yes"
*Slapped*

It's life, get over it.

I've argued my points and many people are agreeing with them or simply backing up what I said without agreeing to me directly. Those who aren't are taking this thread for the fun of it (which I probably should have, repeating myself 10,000 times just isn't as fun as saying LOL BAN NESS HES TO GOOD!).

People keep bringing up the fact that MK is top tier and Ness is low tier. The thing that pisses me off the most is that their spots in the tier list have absolutely nothing to do with the 2 characters fighting.

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
Um, sorry for feeding the troll. I'm not too good at avoiding them.

I get why there's a joke about banning Ness, but I can't see how the subject of banning anyone could possibly come up. This is what we have tiers for, anyway.

Fear The Force

Smash Cadet
Could somebody lock this ****ing topic? The talk about Tyrant not knowing **** about Ness and FOW knowing a lot about MK is becoming a bother. Hell, we can't be happy without other people who don't main MK or Ness getting butt hurt. I mean God forbid someone like lain beat M2K and people got really happy! But when it comes to this kid who deserves this recognition because he's always been good and nobody ever bothered saying anything, it's suddenly a brush off! Good job!

What's done is done. If you don't care about FOW, then get the hell out. And if I get infracted for this, it was well worth it.
I agree with Uffe's point; FOW and Ness deserve recognition from this. Not only did he defeat a player who is very good with Metaknight, but he also got 4th place at SIN.

Everything else is irrelevent. All this crap about Tyrant not knowing the matchup is johning. All this crap about "I would like to see this kid play him again" is johning.

Give FOW credit where credit is due. He is A FREAKING BEAST with Ness. 'Nuff said. :)

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Uffe's point; FOW and Ness deserve recognition from this. Not only did he defeat a player who is very good with Metaknight, but he also got 4th place at SIN.

Everything else is irrelevent. All this crap about Tyrant not knowing the matchup is johning. All this crap about "I would like to see this kid play him again" is johning.

Give FOW credit where credit is due. He is A FREAKING BEAST with Ness. 'Nuff said. :)
I agree. FOW beat Tyrant. fact. Why? doesn't matter, he beat Tyrant. get over it.
I seriously don't see the point of this thread -.-. people are just talking about tiers, and complaining for M2K and Tyrant. Uffe, I think you're totally right

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Wow, no ****ing johns kids.

MK get ***** *****.

"Maybe he didn't know how to gimp Ness!?" rofl xDDDD

Uffe

Smash Hero
The livestream is over. It ended about a day or two ago. Someone might have recorded every single match while on livestream, but I don't think anything has been posted up on YouTube. Even if it is posted up on YouTube, it'll probably look really crappy since YouTube kills the quality and since the livestream itself wasn't exactly HD quality.

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
So...ah...everyone that didn't see it is essentially deprived of the most momentous Ness match that has ever occured.
Darn.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
if you wanna know everything I'll just say it now

Foe is a really good player, although he's mostly really good vs MK compared to his other matchups. The first match I had with him he beat me last stock 150% on smashville and I was at 90%. He said he accidentally F smashed, but I accidentally drill rushed in front of him when I was trying to do up B. I counterpicked Delphino, won 2 stock high %, then he went FD, and I won 2 stock high %. That's the only match of the tourney I lost, since I 2-0d tyrant, 3-0d dsf, and 3-0d SK92, and 2-0d everyone else.

I beat Tyrant in a last-hit game on Battlefield, but I wouldn't say I got lucky because I did do 30 more damage than he did and I did get off the ledge instead of planking when I was up 2 stock to 1. He tried to plank in the last like ... I forget like... 20 seconds or so of the game but then I drill rushed to the edge then followed him to the bottom of the stage to Dair him. I guess it's kinda lucky, and the match was very even overall, but I defintiely think I deserved to win with the **** I had to pull outta my *** at the last second. He got frustrated from that, and then I ***** him badly on Yoshis Story and he quit out of it. It did not go to last game, he should not have won @ Bardull, I won both games fair and square. Just because it's close it means I should have lost? Seriously? No that's stupid.

Anyway from that point on he (Tyrant) was frustrated. He fought Foe on smashville, and had a good like 70 or 80% lead but then went for a glide attack and missed and then got spiked by Ness's Dair and got gimped. He went Delphino, and won a last hit game. On FD 3rd game, Foe Jv 2 stocked Tyrant, although I do think Tyrant was messing up more than usual.

Then later I played foe in 1 friendly and I was winning 30% to 50%, about to Dair his recovery and gimp him, but then I accidentally glided cuz I was holding X or something by accident and I got edge hogged and I ended up losing some random friendly because of that but who cares.

Foe also beat DSF in a close crew battle game, 3 stock to 3 Ness vs MK on FD, although it was last stock 100%+

Foe is a really good player, and definitely the best Ness (as well as only Ness that I know of)

that's everything you could want to know I think.

Chuee

Smash Hero
if you wanna know everything I'll just say it now

Foe is a really good player, although he's mostly really good vs MK compared to his other matchups. The first match I had with him he beat me last stock 150% on smashville and I was at 90%. He said he accidentally F smashed, but I accidentally drill rushed in front of him when I was trying to do up B. I counterpicked Delphino, won 2 stock high %, then he went FD, and I won 2 stock high %. That's the only match of the tourney I lost, since I 2-0d tyrant, 3-0d dsf, and 3-0d SK92, and 2-0d everyone else.

I beat Tyrant in a last-hit game on Battlefield, but I wouldn't say I got lucky because I did do 30 more damage than he did and I did get off the ledge instead of planking when I was up 2 stock to 1. He tried to plank in the last like ... I forget like... 20 seconds or so of the game but then I drill rushed to the edge then followed him to the bottom of the stage to Dair him. I guess it's kinda lucky, and the match was very even overall, but I defintiely think I deserved to win with the **** I had to pull outta my *** at the last second. He got frustrated from that, and then I ***** him badly on Yoshis Story and he quit out of it. It did not go to last game, he should not have won @ Bardull, I won both games fair and square. Just because it's close it means I should have lost? Seriously? No that's stupid.

Anyway from that point on he (Tyrant) was frustrated. He fought Foe on smashville, and had a good like 70 or 80% lead but then went for a glide attack and missed and then got spiked by Ness's Dair and got gimped. He went Delphino, and won a last hit game. On FD 3rd game, Foe Jv 2 stocked Tyrant, although I do think Tyrant was messing up more than usual.

Then later I played foe in 1 friendly and I was winning 30% to 50%, about to Dair his recovery and gimp him, but then I accidentally glided cuz I was holding X or something by accident and I got edge hogged and I ended up losing some random friendly because of that but who cares.

Foe also beat DSF in a close crew battle game, 3 stock to 3 Ness vs MK on FD, although it was last stock 100%+

Foe is a really good player, and definitely the best Ness (as well as only Ness that I know of)

that's everything you could want to know I think.
It's Fow.
M2K speaks the truth. The end.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146

Overall ranked against the entire roster Ness is a "bad character" but ranked against only Meta Knight (which is what this Ness vs MK ordeal is about) Ness is the "slightly disadvantaged" character.

Actually, Ness doesn't do extraordinarily poorly against anyone... just check the matchup thread. nobody makes his matchup less than 40:60. Averaged out with everyone's individual matchup it would seem that his matchups are nearly 50:50. I've always wondered why ness is a low tier if each matchup is winnable with skill, but i know it's because we need more of our ness mains to be like FOW and own those awesome ppls.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Because people over estimate a character that's pk fire, dash grab, and WHATS THIS, JUMPING IN THE AIR AND TRYING TO HIT YOU WITH HIS PK THUNDER WAIT A SECOND ITS COMING AROUND BACK TO NESS! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

And by people I mean the Ness boards.
He has reasonable bases and reasonable options, a reasonable contender for lower mid tier.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
My response to him was, because he isn't deserving of a better response.
I thought it was because you couldn't give a proper response.

I don't give a **** if I'm being rude. A lot of honesty could be taken as extremely rude.
I think you should care. You are a moderator, after all. Let's show how others are supposed to behave. I've had my bit of share with problems in the past, and I wasn't really all that kind. The people from my room would like me to set an example. You're a moderator. Try to do the same.

People keep bringing up the fact that MK is top tier and Ness is low tier. The thing that pisses me off the most is that their spots in the tier list have absolutely nothing to do with the 2 characters fighting.
Meta Knight is tourney viable. Ness is not, or at least said not to be. That's why I've brought up top-tier and low-tier here. If you have a problem with that, you're more than welcome to leave. Apparently this thread doesn't annoy you enough to drive you away from it. And really, the only reason you were in here was to john for Tyrant. You've johned for him. There's nothing else to be said.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The ness vs. Mk matchup isn't as bad as the majority of his other top tier matchups...

Chu was amazing with pichu in melee, but it doesn't matter cuz it's pichu lol. Maybe the guy did figure something out. IDK, I didn't watch the vids nor do I care about vbrawl.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
i recently talked to tyrant. tyrant says fow is good for a ness player, but he was really mad about losing to m2k in winners (he should have won the set, but m2k made a startling comeback and clinched game 2&3) so he was pretty mad about it and had mad johns vs. fow.

he has never played a ness in his life, and being that the current metagame is vs. MK, it isn't surprising that he should lose...

i'm pretty sure he underestimated fow as well, and was taking him lightly.

whatever, in my honest opinion i think it was poor match up experience on tyrant's behalf, but i don't think anyone is seriously contending that ness has the potential to beat MK, so...basically, i wouldn't expect a repeat.

sorry to kill the hype.
HE JOHNS!

Something I noticed about FOW that's interesting is he really stales up his bthrow.
This is like the revival of the ness boards.

I love all of your guys' bull**** opinions and hate on Ness' as a character.
Between this and the backroom character discussion...
I'm not surprised they don't put him below ganondorf out of spite.

FOW got fourth.
He beat good MK's.
He probably had to plow through good G&W's and good Marth's too. 30:70 match-ups IIRC, so look beyod these two or three matches.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero

Yes, but FOW has ran into many Meta Knights. I doubt Tyrant has run into even half that number of Ness's. (M2K may have but even then even he may have not.)
On a side note, I'd like to note that Vegas has no Meta Knights not named Eagle, Trendsetter, or SK92.

On a side note, attempting to evoke hype is fun.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

Learn about/get @ the unsung heroes status.

There is a saying; "give credit where credit is due", silly though many people don't so much give recognition as they just bandwagon the hype.

...Hehe, how I have learned not to care about so many trivial things, I don't think FOW really cares about it either, he's a good player and it's not like this won't happen again so there's no need to make a big deal out of one little ordeal.

I Wonder how this hasn't locked yet, with so many mods, you woulda thought this would've gotten closed much sooner, but I guess something must've changed about "no threads about specific players."

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
FOW is just that amazing...

that kid is just breaking rules all over the place.

Ness does beat MK
Low tier doesnt beat high tier.
No threads about specific people.
lol
but this thread isnt about FOW actually, this thread is about banning an obviously broken character, with FOW being the main reasoning behind such a decision

Top Bottom