• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Match-Up Chart (NTSC) [Update 008 - 09.09.28]

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
The thing is Marth mostly kills horizontally and downwards. On the other hand Samus' horizontal recovery makes Marths horizontal kills less effective. not to mention Samus' multiple recovery options. Marth also needs to perfectly space everything or he'll eat a Up B OOS, CC'd D-Smash or maybe even Fsmash. He also have troubles killing out of throws in this match up. Marth has the drop bair edge guard on Samus though.

lol Sheik. Needles > Grapple recovery to edgehog?, dthrow fair(horizontal kill) or uair(vertical kill) & drop bair edge guard. Also thinking about how Samus would edge guard Sheik gives me a headache.

Marth is amazing though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
oh **** marth will get hit by Samus' up-b. that will **** him up completely.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
yeah believe that, marth will die off the top when he gets hit by Samus' Up B oos.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
The thing is Marth mostly kills horizontally and downwards. On the other hand Samus' horizontal recovery makes Marths horizontal kills less effective. not to mention Samus' multiple recovery options. Marth also needs to perfectly space everything or he'll eat a Up B OOS, CC'd D-Smash or maybe even Fsmash. He also have troubles killing out of throws in this match up. Marth has the drop bair edge guard on Samus though.

lol Sheik. Needles > Grapple recovery to edgehog?, dthrow fair(horizontal kill) or uair(vertical kill) & drop bair edge guard. Also thinking about how Samus would edge guard Sheik gives me a headache.

Marth is amazing though.
yeah this is what i am saying...

unknown522

Some guy

Marth is amazing though.
Samus' recovery sucks. She doesn't have that many options. She still has to recover in the same general area, which anyone can just take the ledge and gay her. Don't be fooled by how long she stays in the air, she can make it to the stage, but not on the stage if you're decent.

Sword is too good. Sheik is too good.

samus's worst matchup is sheik, not marth...you should change that
agreed.

idea

Smash Master
again, just going on very vague impressions, i would say sheik is harder for her than marth. so i guess we agree on that.

what about falco? falco always seems kind of invincible, but i figure samus could nair over him sometimes and gimp him easily. lasers might screw up her wavedashing and dair shine might screw up her crouch canceling....and she can't use projectiles cause falco's are better.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
again, just going on very vague impressions, i would say sheik is harder for her than marth. so i guess we agree on that.

what about falco? falco always seems kind of invincible, but i figure samus could nair over him sometimes and gimp him easily. lasers might screw up her wavedashing and dair shine might screw up her crouch canceling....and she can't use projectiles cause falco's are better.
falco is a bad matchup for samus if the falco is very patient...if they just run in trying to pillar they will get up-b out of shield'd or CC downsmash. Samus's wavedash lets her have a very mobile and reactive style. she can do silly combos on falco such as downsmash to charged fsmash and rack up alot of damage. u-throw to just about anything works on falco as well.

but if the falco plays campy, samus will have to approach , and bair destroys almost everything samus has...also vert shine kills O_o

so i think falco and marth are bad, but sheik is still the worst

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Yeah, like I said before, I don't have TOO much experience with good Samus players, but everything that has been said sounds correct so far. Sheik's fair alone is a good way to kill Samus. Samus players can DI Marth fsmashes upwards (especially on Dream Land) to live longer, and then Marth will have to rely on a dropped bair, but I think Sheik generally has the advantage as her grab game works WAY better than Marth's in this matchup on ground, not to mention Samus' projectiles harm Marth more than Sheik.

Pi

Smash Hero
yeah, a lot of samus matchups got changed. Just wait for the update.
in my experience using samus;
Samus vs Falco:
Advantages (Samus):
  • Can combo him very nicely, dair, utilt, upthrow, dtilt all can lead into bair/nair/FCS which puts him off the stage in a very vulnerable position. Downthrow can lead into Dtilt often with bad DI at higher %'s which can lead into a bair.
  • Falco's are generally aggressive, UB OoS works nicely in this matchup and you don't often get punished for it if you DI right.
  • Samus has great opportunity to tech falco's Dair's against the stage, I rarely die by those, and if you UB immediately you should catch him in it
  • When falco is off the stage you can missile to force an UB into an edgehog or trade hits w/ Nair, or space a Utilt and hope he misses a tech.
  • Ftilt out spaces Falco, Dtilt does as well (I need to start using Dtilt more since it combo's), if you see him approaching you can wavedash out of his range and catch him w/ a move
  • Falco can't really pillar samus, he can get a few in with Utilts but they are escape able if you don't push your luck
  • Since samus has a lot of moves that falco is in hitstun till he lands, you can tech chase w/ a FCS if you time it right, and with falco's **** recovery it often means death

Disadvantages(Samus):
  • Falco's laser game pretty much shuts samus's missiles down, if he's quick enough he'll leave very very few openings in which for samus even to get 1 missile off, let alone hit him with it.
  • Samus isn't very fast in the air or on the ground, which means a patient falco can pretty much control the match. I have a very very hard time approaching a laser spamming falco.
  • While falco can't pillar samus, his standard shine Xair combo's work if he catches the top of your head.
  • Falco's Fsmash eats through missiles (need to remember this...) and has a pretty low lag time after it's done, which makes the window for grabbing him OoS very small (I need to practice this I juss hate missing grabs)
  • Falco's DJ is quick, if he has you on a platform just shield, light shield preferably, and if you're in the air, bomb float back to the ground, his aerial > samus's , but if you bomb smartly you should make it back to the ground safely
  • Falco can CC into shine (at least my friend can) very effectively, whether it's a smart trade or not depends on how they can follow up the shine. I've been shined out of Fairs, and Nairs pretty consistently at lower %'s.

breakdown:
Although I might have made it seem to be in samus's favor with her combo's, not being able to approach makes it a real *****. Most of my hits I find come from aerial nairs that I have to time in between lasers, and if I eat a laser, I get Fsmashed. Falco can simply out camp you, and his shine obviously has priority over every one of your moves, and his aerials often trade if not take you out instead. So falco camping, forcing aerial approach, it's just a bad matchup.

I'd say, if the falco player is playing smart, and not playing super aggro, it's about 40:60 in falco's favor. Shutting down samus's missiles and forcing her to approach is not good. But his low kill threshold makes it not a terrible matchup.

Samus vs marth:
Advantages(Samus)
  • Missiles, pressure marth with missiles, for a shield into a grab into a nair/bair/fair/uair, chase a uair with a nair some times, but if you start getting hit, back away.
  • UB OoS, if you every notice the marth approaching with fairs and not spacing them right, use this, but remember to DI away from him after it's over, if you have a platform to land on even better.
  • Wavedashing is huge in this matchup, wavedashing allows you to get around marths gigantic sword, and punish any missed smashes he does, but you have to be QUICK
  • Wavedash into Ftilt is a godsend, if you're quick enough it's very effective, but keep in mind you can be hit out of it.
  • Fsmash, if marth is approaching with Fairs and is above you slightly, Fsmash moves your hitbox in a weird way which makes it so you can often trade, or knock him out of his aerial because of how your character moves from charging to performing the move. Know the spacing for this move and it'll improve your game a lot. Wreck him with Ftilts to make him approach from the air and then wreck him with Fsmashes. None of this is garantee'd though, and it relies on the marth messing up. If you miss a fsmash, he won't. Ftilts are less punishable and if you space them right you shouldn't get hit from a missed one.
  • Dtilt when you can, it sets up for an aerial
  • CC downsmash I hear a lot from, and I have recently been trying it, and well..it works, I'm just not a fan of taking damage.
  • When you get marth off the stage, missile, missile a lot, homing and smash, if you have platforms, wait, first off, LEARN TO MISSILE CANCEL ON PLATFORMS, spam missiles when he's off the stage, if he tries to recover high get under him and uair, you'll most likely hit, if he air dodges, bat him into that and hit him w/ a bair/nair
  • Samus can space a Utilt to not get hit by the sword but still hit marth, at least I was able to be out of the range of the sword and still hit on the edge, you might exchange if your move touches the sword.

Disadvantages(Samus)
  • Reach, marth simply has more reach than you, if you're playing a marth who has as good as spacing as you, and is as good with wavedashing, and knowing when you're too close, you lose, simple as that. Thank god for human error >.>
  • You cannot approach marth from the air, you just can't. Samus is not fast enough to suprise him, her short hop is not short enough, her dair isn't quick enough, and her nair isn't long enough (crazy I know). If you approach from the air, you should by all means be eating something, a Fsmash, a Ftilt, a Utilt, something
  • If marth ever gets under you, and there are platforms, you are in some deep ****. What do you do against a shffling uair marth? I highly suggest mastering shield dropping which I need to do...
  • Here's something I hope marth mains don't catch onto although most of them probably know, MARTH CAN JAB MISSILES, this makes it really hard to pressure him, he can also Fair them. And a Fsmash goes through your missiles and hits you as well as canceling out a FCS.
  • So this is similar to the falco matchup where you can't really missile, and if marth forces an approach he has an even greater advantage than falco does.
  • And marth's Edgeguard. He can stay out of range of your UB and tipper you as long as you miss a sweet spot. Say you tech a Fsmash, not hard, but then what do you do out of it? Jump tech -> Airdodge onto stage? it's slow, but you might catch him by suprise, or you might land right in front of him to get grabbed/tilted/smashed right back off the stage.

breakdown:
  • Patient marth can't be pressured by missiles
  • Marth out spaces you in every instance
  • You are more vulnerable being above him than he is being above you
  • better recovery than falco, less vulnerable
  • Better edgeguard than falco

Whatever you put falco at, this is at least 5 points more.

35:65 in marths advantage

I wish I knew the shiek matchup better so I could offer some input, but I can't imagine it being much worse than this.

I play a falco and a marth like every day, I beat them some times, they beat me some times, but I can recognized that their characters have clear and definite advantages over mine, I have to play super campy, super smart, super spacy against the marth, and pretty much hope I shield a fsmash so I can wavedash into something. The falco always plays super aggro against me so I can get UB OoS, but when he camps I find myself at a loss.

Character matchups are one thing, people are another, but I still cp shiek vs marth any day, it's more fun.

unknown522

Some guy
^ wow, you have the numbers exactly how I changed them yesterday. Good to see we're on the same page.

I also have fox as 6:4 and sheik 7:3

nublet06

Smash Lord
considering all i eally know about is luigi....id say this is a pretty great list.

however.......

i think doc luigi should be 55-45 in favor of doc not luigi

and link might be a little better against luigi but its hard to tell because nobody plays the matchup enough.

otherwise great list. i think puff and peach are a little under rated but yeah....

idea

Smash Master
it's cool how i can read the bottom of your sig even though it gets cut off. my brain is filling in maybe 80% of the letters.

unknown522

Some guy
considering all i eally know about is luigi....id say this is a pretty great list.

however.......

i think doc luigi should be 55-45 in favor of doc not luigi

and link might be a little better against luigi but its hard to tell because nobody plays the matchup enough.

otherwise great list. i think puff and peach are a little under rated but yeah....
Thanks. That is actually changed to that in the new update. It just hasn't come yet.

Eric, where you at?

Pi

Smash Hero
^ wow, you have the numbers exactly how I changed them yesterday. Good to see we're on the same page.

I also have fox as 6:4 and sheik 7:3
I'm not confident in giving input on those matches, but I do enjoy the fox matchup a lot more than the falco one.

I kinda wanna disagree with you on the 6:4 fox/samus matchup, but I'm not sure. And 60:40 isn't all that bad, it's a whole lot easier to keep your focus when you're not being bombarded with lasers and can actually put your missiles out there. I know that IHSB's recently complained that fox's bair > samus in her entirety, but again I lack experience in this matchup, I needa play colbol some more lol.

um if you don't mind me asking, could you give me some reasons why you gave fox same ranking as falco? Foxes speed can be toned down with missiles, and his recovery isn't a big deal imo, maybe he gets 2 chances to tech-> side B instead of falco's 1. He can't combo out of grabs still...I wouldn't put him on the same level as falco, his speed can get him close to you, his pressure game is better in terms of melee, but he'll get UB'd same as falco if he gets too close

I'm also discovering new things with the Purin Samus matchup, seeming more winnable, did you change this at all? Uptilt and Up angled Ftilt shut down a lot of puff's approaches, but you have to be real careful when you use them, missiles aren't a huge factor in this matchup but it can eliminate some options, my puff experience is against a crappy puff though, I'll try to play hungrybox and see how that goes over lol

unknown522

Some guy
I'm not confident in giving input on those matches, but I do enjoy the fox matchup a lot more than the falco one.

I kinda wanna disagree with you on the 6:4 fox/samus matchup, but I'm not sure. And 60:40 isn't all that bad, it's a whole lot easier to keep your focus when you're not being bombarded with lasers and can actually put your missiles out there. I know that IHSB's recently complained that fox's bair > samus in her entirety, but again I lack experience in this matchup, I needa play colbol some more lol.

um if you don't mind me asking, could you give me some reasons why you gave fox same ranking as falco? Foxes speed can be toned down with missiles, and his recovery isn't a big deal imo, maybe he gets 2 chances to tech-> side B instead of falco's 1. He can't combo out of grabs still...I wouldn't put him on the same level as falco, his speed can get him close to you, his pressure game is better in terms of melee, but he'll get UB'd same as falco if he gets too close

I'm also discovering new things with the Purin Samus matchup, seeming more winnable, did you change this at all? Uptilt and Up angled Ftilt shut down a lot of puff's approaches, but you have to be real careful when you use them, missiles aren't a huge factor in this matchup but it can eliminate some options, my puff experience is against a crappy puff though, I'll try to play hungrybox and see how that goes over lol
The main reason why we have fox the same as falco is mainly because of the speed and camp game. Between the shine and lasers, samus can't really camp fox and doesn't have the speed to match up with him. Comparatively from fox to falco, it is easier for fox to edgeguard samus, because he can simply take the ledge and shine her. Falco's moves give samus a chance to tech them, so she might randomly make it back guaranteed sometimes.

Fox also kills samus a lot faster than falco. She can also rush down falco a lot better than fox, since he is much slower than fox. Gimping falco is much easier, but edgeguarding is really easy on both spacies anyway, so it didn't seem to count much.

Pretty much in those matchups, samus can't do much to them, but they can't do much to her either. They have to poke at each other and slowly rack damage.

I'm missing a bit of info. I'll edit the post when I find it.

idea

Smash Master
- yeah, uptilt and ftilt aren't so bad...but...they're not terribly fast either. puff could just camp you slightly harder, couldn't she =P
i also think that if a samus were doing that, i would try to 'misspace' my aerials and hit close by to her...since shieldgrabbing with samus is not really a good idea.
- missiles don't ever bother me...you can crouch under them and i think all of puff's aerials beat them. i haven't tested upair and dair, though...i guess i'll check next time i play a samus...

i think that matchup basically comes down to jigglypuff using bair, fair and shield, and samus not being very fast or having a good grab. but then, i have limited samus experience.

idea

Smash Master
the conversation in my head went something like

"i guess that's not TOO bad...when fox jumps and bairs, maybe samus could uair under him?"
"but what if he short hops?"
"..."

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
the conversation in my head went something like

"i guess that's not TOO bad...when fox jumps and bairs, maybe samus could uair under him?"
"but what if he short hops?"
"..."
if samus is not in shield and doesnt get hit she can dash attack or wd dsmash or simply ftilt/fsmash the bair and trade with it.

Pi

Smash Hero
Played some more against my buddy's marth juss now
Does a tipper have more shield hit stun? I can't seem to punish him at all by shielding a tipper Fsmash
I think writing up that thing helped me in the matchup lol. Make me actually apply the stuff I know
I'm gonna enjoy him shielding my missiles into grabs some more before I make him start trying to jab them all
I think a lot of people underestimate grabs, even if you can't combo out of them, if you land them they deal quite a bit of % through just pummeling and the throw, and go unpunished, assuming you land them. Although at times I find myself pummeling when I shouldn't be, allowing for my opponent to DI properly so I can't get a move off.
I need to start pivoting...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Tipped moves do more damage.

More damaging moves do more shieldstun, generally speaking (can't think of any exceptions).

So, yes, tipped moves do more shieldstun.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Try sidestepping the fsmash? It's not too bad once you get used to it, and assuming you're not completely terrible at sidestepping.

Don't even try and powershield it though, it's so difficult to pull off consistently that you'll die from a tipper like 10 times for each 1 time you manage to pull it off.

unknown522

Some guy
^ lol.

But yeah, puff v samus is pretty bad. She gets rest punished by an *** load of stuff and can avoid samus' moves really well. By staying in the air, she auto defeats CC. She has a good time pushing samus off the stage with WOP and can reach her at any time during edgeguards. Samus alsio has a hard time killing puff. Her kill moves are way too slow to set up and most of them are ground-based.

Probably abour 65:35. 6:4 at best.

Pi

Smash Hero
Try sidestepping the fsmash? It's not too bad once you get used to it, and assuming you're not completely terrible at sidestepping.

Don't even try and powershield it though, it's so difficult to pull off consistently that you'll die from a tipper like 10 times for each 1 time you manage to pull it off.
Sidestepping...I need to re-learn when to use it, I spose that if I know he's going to Fsmash I could, but I don't wanna get into the habit of spamming it like I use to

And yea, most of my kills on puff come from really high % Nairs
Little less % Bairs
and most of em Utilts
I get more FCS's than I should, need to play a better puff before I get confident, I'm thinking maybe WD OoS -> SH FCS might catch some puffs off guard, since that's pretty much the realm they like to dance in

Like I said, the puff I play against is pretty bad, my Utilt is pretty slow, if I miss one I should be getting punished, I can't dash attack a puff less I know he can't shield it, how are you on being able to rest me out of UB? The lag time is pretty low so I figure it's risky, I wish my fair had more priority, would help as an offensive wall, I guess in puff's matchups you really are only comparing one characters aerial game to another, and recovery predictability & maneuverability.

unknown522

Some guy
^ puff's ground game sucks, unless she rests you out of a laggy move, crouched grab, or a mis-spaced move. Her F-smash is really strong too.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Any decent puff can rest Samus out of a missed grab, though. Samus also tends to be really slow, and if you know what your opponent is doing, it's possible to land more rests than just ones from missed grabs. Where Jiggs destroys Samus, though, is off stage. Good luck trying to bomb recover when Jiggs can literally float all the way off the screen to gimp you and still come back to the edge.

idea

Smash Master
puff's fsmash stays out longer than almost all other fsmashes. i went and checked the frame data a while back. i think only marth and pikachu beat her...maybe someone else...and then it was only by 2 or 3 frames. and she ties with or beats falco's fsmash in that area, i believe. plus, yeah, pretty strong.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
When they played eachother at a tournament, Sethlon did -much- better than 95-5 Sheik. In fact, he won one of the matches. Sure, in theory it sounds like Roy should only have a 5% chance of winning that matchup, but in practice it's probably much higher. 75-25, at least.
I agree with this, except that I think Mango's Sheik that good at all, not atleast in those matches. But anyways I've noticed that Sheik isn't THAT horrible matchup for Roy, Roy's dtilt with good spacing does alot in this matchup and landing a fsmash isn't SUCH a painful chore like against floaties. Roy can also combo Sheik to a certain extent, many combos leading to fsmash.

Top Bottom