• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
bum's tournament results were almost entirely because no one knew how to fight dk... that and the current metagame of a lot of characters don't require you to if you want to beat dk, while back then playstyles were a lot different and DK had a chance.

i've like never beaten my friend's IC's outside of my own counterpicks while using DK, while I've taken sets from him with fox/falco/marth/falcon, and i don't even use Falco much. :/ i mean, that's not really concrete proof, but that's just my personal experience.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
How would one go about playing DK + Falcon in teams? Falcon can't really run in and attack an opponent when DK is nearby thanks to him being such a huge target...

Excellent coordination + ingenious usage of invincibility frames?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Lol, Mexican and Pkm stopped playing DK.

Such good timing.

Not gonna lie, I kinda lost all interest in this character. It's not cause he's bad, he just gets boring. Only use him for Samus now, but I might pick him up again in the future, idk.

I guess the best DK main is like.... Nedech? Big D? Jiano? Ripple?

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
How would one go about playing DK + Falcon in teams? Falcon can't really run in and attack an opponent when DK is nearby thanks to him being such a huge target...

Excellent coordination + ingenious usage of invincibility frames?
dude seriously... never ever use dk in teams... ever... please.

i teamed with mexican so many times... and every time i did... we got *****.. not because we suck or anything but DK is probably like the worst character to use in teams besides like idk, ness.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
dude seriously... never ever use dk in teams... ever... please.

i teamed with mexican so many times... and every time i did... we got *****.. not because we suck or anything but DK is probably like the worst character to use in teams besides like idk, ness.
lol, would just be as a joke for friendlies and stuff
we have a sheik + falcon/fox lineup for use in serious games anyway

this impressed me a bit, even though it's old as hell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=195ehjRQqNA&feature=related

Riddle

Smash Lord
Please don't post in this thread anymore. We have a thread for General Discussion and a thread for Q+A. This thread is dead and it would be better if you did not post in it.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Ok so I'm a Falcon main and lately I've been giving into playing a little bit as DK. The only question I have is...people say that SHFFL'ing DK's uairs is ESSENTIAL to string them together on let's say...fast fallers at...mmm...20/30% ish? Well, from my experience, when short hopping my uairs, it seems like L-cancelling slows down the chain if anything. Do the uairs auto cancel? Reason I'm asking is because I string them together much faster if I don't L-cancel =P Hope that was clear enough!

halfDemon

Smash Lord
Ok so I'm a Falcon main and lately I've been giving into playing a little bit as DK. The only question I have is...people say that SHFFL'ing DK's uairs is ESSENTIAL to string them together on let's say...fast fallers at...mmm...20/30% ish? Well, from my experience, when short hopping my uairs, it seems like L-cancelling slows down the chain if anything. Do the uairs auto cancel? Reason I'm asking is because I string them together much faster if I don't L-cancel =P Hope that was clear enough!
DK's UAir is autocanceled 8 frames faster than it is L-canceled.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Don't l cancel, is my first piece of advice, at least when u airing. Second piece of advice is don't listen to noobs about dk, ask me. lol

kfc and mexican

come to pound 4
Unless pound 4 is within walking distance of my house (last time i checked, it wasn't), i don't think i'll be able to make it. lol. Wish i could though. Isn't pound on the east coast? See if kwan or bum can make it. You'll have better luck with them. lol

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Mexican, would you say Falco is DK's worse MU? Lasers just ruin everything to me. :ohwell:
Falco is by far DK's worst matchup. He's next to impossible to grab for dk if the falco is halfway decent. Lasers make it difficult to setup grabs since you can't b air to grab because everytime you get hit by a laser, it makes you face him again. It's hard to b air when you're facing the wrong way.. lol

If you want any chance at beating falco, the best strategy imo, is to do something, anything to just knock him to the ground. You can get something started off of that. If he's on the floor, it means that he's not shooting your *** with his gun and it means that he's not pillaring you. lol. U air, up b, b air (if at all possible), and i even use dash attack sometimes. I don't usually recommend n air or f tilt. N air gets beat by EVERYTHING and f tilt won't usually knock them to the ground unless they're at really high damage. If you can, get your back to him (which means you might have to full jump to avoid lasers, which i know can be dangerous), use a b air. A tricky way of pulling it off is to full jump b air (will hit falco if he tries to meet you up there), and then fast fall u air after. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3zeF2cYb_s :46-:47 is an example

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Myself and KFC played again for the first time in 45345nh3434 years today. lol, we recorded most of the matches. If KFC isn't lazy, the vids will be up soon. If he is lucky, just use your imagination as to what happened in each match. lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I bugged Bum and he didn't even go to RoM2 which is 30 mins from his house.
i played darkrain w/ dk for the first time in a jillion years yesterday. i did not have fun

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I bugged Bum and he didn't even go to RoM2 which is 30 mins from his house.
i played darkrain w/ dk for the first time in a jillion years yesterday. i did not have fun
Really? I like playing people way better than me. It helps me get better. I don't like playing my own crew, but anyone else out there that's better than me, i play them as much as possible. You don't gain much, if anything if you play people worse than you constantly....

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
well getting ***** is still getting *****, regardless of whether or not it helps you get better :p

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
Still playing DK. I'm getting a little bit better...I still have issues occasionally with L-canceling. uair autocancels, dunnit?

Couple questions for Mex or SB.

1. Peach strategy? I consistently get *****, it's just awful. I have to go Jiggly and WoP off the stage to stand a chance. Is DK just not a good Peach matchup at all?
2. How many people can spike you out of your Up+B? Only ones I've seen are Falco and Ness. Any more I should worry about?
3. Who's the best secondary for DK mains? After this long, I can't play faster characters. I tend to second Doc or Jiggs, but I'm wondering what the general other character is.

And, most importantly.
4. How do I approach a FFA? My DK, at least, does not play well unless it's 1v1. I don't know who else agrees with that, but. Yeah. In general, is it just a "stay the hell out of the way until you see an opening" type mindset, or a "RAGERAGERAGE KILLKILL" mindset?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
1. use backair a lot and don't crouch cancel her downsmashes. catching a turnip or two is pretty good too. surprising them w/ partially charged giant punches usually works against chars of Peach's weight class. peach can uthrow -> nair you at lower percentages iirc. the battle is like a huge spacing battle and it's annoying because you can barely edgeguard peach and she's annoying. it's like Puff but slightly better.
2. like every char can dair you out of your up-b. ganon, falcon, falco, fox (shinespike), ness, marth, dk, etc.
3. captain falcon is usually the popular choice of secondary among DK players, or so I hear. Doc can work, I did that for a bit. I did DK main Fox secondary for a while until I was like "wait, why aren't I just using Fox all the time......"

4. don't play FFA's, they're mad homo

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Still playing DK. I'm getting a little bit better...I still have issues occasionally with L-canceling. uair autocancels, dunnit?

Couple questions for Mex or SB.

1. Peach strategy? I consistently get *****, it's just awful. I have to go Jiggly and WoP off the stage to stand a chance. Is DK just not a good Peach matchup at all?
2. How many people can spike you out of your Up+B? Only ones I've seen are Falco and Ness. Any more I should worry about?
3. Who's the best secondary for DK mains? After this long, I can't play faster characters. I tend to second Doc or Jiggs, but I'm wondering what the general other character is.

And, most importantly.
4. How do I approach a FFA? My DK, at least, does not play well unless it's 1v1. I don't know who else agrees with that, but. Yeah. In general, is it just a "stay the hell out of the way until you see an opening" type mindset, or a "RAGERAGERAGE KILLKILL" mindset?
1.B air the sht out of Peach. Stay away until you see an opening is how i play her. Giant punches are usually my number 1 way of killing peach. She's fast on the ground, kinda slow in the air. If she's approach with a hover more than just off of the ground, throw out the punch, even if they throw a turnip, it won't really matter. I personally wouldn't try to catch turnips. Higher level players expect it and know how to punish you for it. If they're just spamming it from the corner, than sure, but you could be doing better things like charging your giant punch. At small stages, up b is your best friend. It will get you away if nothing else, and you'll at most, get hit only once out of it, not combo'd or grabbed. It is good for killing that beach. Don't be afraid to try and edgeguard her. I go for it all the time. Up b to knock her back and force her to use her up b and mindgame an edgehog. It works pretty well, even on higher level players, they're too used to getting on free. If you ever get caught in your shield, my advice, roll away, don't try to wd in or grab or anything, just get out. If you're impatient, you lose. If you're too close to the edge and rolling would just land you in a down smash, then just up b to the ledge. It'll keep her grab or attack off of you while letting you grab the edge and give you a chance to recover.

2. Anyone can edgeguard you, and just because they can't spike you doesn't mean they can't hit and kill you. When i played kage, he used b air to edgeguard me, not d air. Its not about how many people can spike you, its about how to get around them.

3. I don't know who's the best. A lot of people that use dk use falcon as SB said, but my secondary is samus...doesn't really help your dk game though. lol

4. Why the hell are you playing FFA? What are you? 10? lol

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
4. Why the hell are you playing FFA? What are you? 10? lol
College dorms, unfortunately. >> Oddly enough, Zhu's old girlfriend is one of the people I regularly Smash with. SoCal's weird like there. There's actually a tournament here this weekend, apparently a hell of a lot of people are coming. I won't be here, though.

There've been a couple other tournaments. Most of it was low level and I sweeped it. No one expects a DK or knows how to fight one. Most of the matchups in it were 1v1v1 :confused: for some reason, so it wasn't entirely FFA. I prefer 1v1 when I get the chance, though.

It seems like the best way to approach FFA is just do whatever you can to whoever's near you, and then run the hell away. If you can't, spam the **** out of bair and nair and try not to get pummeled.

I highly doubt you want to do this, but I'd really like your opinion on just about every move DK has. Not long paragraphs unless you feel the need, just short summaries. I'm sure you've used just about every move in a ridiculous amount of situations, so I'm curious as to your thoughts.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
College dorms, unfortunately. >> Oddly enough, Zhu's old girlfriend is one of the people I regularly Smash with. SoCal's weird like there. There's actually a tournament here this weekend, apparently a hell of a lot of people are coming. I won't be here, though.

There've been a couple other tournaments. Most of it was low level and I sweeped it. No one expects a DK or knows how to fight one. Most of the matchups in it were 1v1v1 :confused: for some reason, so it wasn't entirely FFA. I prefer 1v1 when I get the chance, though.

It seems like the best way to approach FFA is just do whatever you can to whoever's near you, and then run the hell away. If you can't, spam the **** out of bair and nair and try not to get pummeled.

I highly doubt you want to do this, but I'd really like your opinion on just about every move DK has. Not long paragraphs unless you feel the need, just short summaries. I'm sure you've used just about every move in a ridiculous amount of situations, so I'm curious as to your thoughts.
Up b is great. Down b is situational, but useful. Forward b is only good for stalling for the lava on brinstar or barrel on kj 64. Giant punch is beast. U air is great for comboing. N air is generally a bad approach but is ok for quick damage if you don't have time for a f air and don't have a giant punch charged in the middle of a combo, or it can be used for edgeguarding in certain situations. D air is ok for edgeguarding, but it's not nearly as fast as falcons, so its no as good for an approach or tech chase. F air is slow, but a good combo finisher. B air is your best approach. F tilt is decent. D tilt is good. U tilt shouldn't be used. Jabs should be rarely used if ever. Cargo u throw is the best way to set up kos/combos. All other cargos are kinda useless...jumping off the stage and throwing forward isn't TOO bad, but not recommended as a first choice. Cargo d throw is good for suicide kills since they can't shake out while you're in the middle of the throw. Back throw is strong and good. D throw is good on certain characters, but not for most.

Top Bottom