• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Q&A Thread

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
That easy?!? I'll try to master it then since I don't use the C-Stick too common.

TreK

Is "that guy"
there's a much much better way actually that we have known for several months, it's called fingerbanging and it's performed by walking, c-sticking back or forth and holding Z right after.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
we could use that and tilt walking if it didn't take the holding A part.
Holding A is underated.
It is extremely easy to set L/R to attack and then switch off after each attack.
ie Attack> hold A after the animation starts> do w/e> release A> attack> hold A during animation

You will eventually be able to keep A held while fighting normally.

there's a much much better way actually that we have known for several months, it's called fingerbanging and it's performed by walking, c-sticking back or forth and holding Z right after.
I wanted to know if the way I had found it was known because it doen't just work for Luigi.

JonnyManya

Smash Apprentice
Anyone recommend any secondary character to use besides Wario?
I have a hard time against MK, R.O.B, G&W, and Lucario (his priority with some moves is annoying as hell).
Thanks!

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Try Falco...
Just give him a try. I loved having him backup my Luigi in tough times.

Sorry for the late response...

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Sure!

Anyone else have any questions. I'm lookin' to answer. All you lurkers reading this. I know you have some questions!

yoshq

Smash Master
Sure!

Anyone else have any questions. I'm lookin' to answer. All you lurkers reading this. I know you have some questions!
these are the questions i had a while ago

how do you di with luigi (controls, buttons, directions, order)

what are some good stages for luigi

and there were more but i can't remember ;o

kigbariom

Smash Lord
The way I DI with Luigi is just fair or bair, which ever way back to the stage. It is the only way, I've been doing it. Before I remember we went over green missile as a DI move, but we discovered that it doesn't do a lot to reverse the momentum, it just stops all momentum.

Correct me if I'm wrong. It was a long time ago.

As for stages,
the classics, are BF, Smashville, Corneria. That's what I mainly play on.

yoshq

Smash Master
The way I DI with Luigi is just fair or bair, which ever way back to the stage. It is the only way, I've been doing it. Before I remember we went over green missile as a DI move, but we discovered that it doesn't do a lot to reverse the momentum, it just stops all momentum.

Correct me if I'm wrong. It was a long time ago.

As for stages,
the classics, are BF, Smashville, Corneria. That's what I mainly play on.
corneria really. but that's like never legal.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
How about Frigate Orpheon and Norfair? Or would his air speed be a hindrance on Norfair?

I've been playing Luigi for about a week, and I'm beating some of my friends' mains somewhat handily now, who take me forever to kill with Sonic. But that's probably because they don't know the matchup at all - I don't think they play many Luigi players.

So, to make sure I can stay one step ahead, I want to work on my approaching. I usually do run -> backroll and run -> retreating jump for mindgames/bait and punish tactic, run -> retreating jump -> fireballs to maintain spacing and stay active, and an occasional Cyclone right into them for surprise attacks. Are these good, or am I doing it wrong?

And, how good is using Cyclone as you're falling down onto the stage? Each time I used it, it beat out anything at a lower angle than me, including G&W's Fire, so I'm thinking its better to use that instead of falling down with d-airs/n-airs and the like.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Anyone recommend any secondary character to use besides Wario?
I have a hard time against MK, R.O.B, G&W, and Lucario (his priority with some moves is annoying as hell).
Thanks!
well I use snake with luigi as a secondary, not sure how it'd go the other way around but snake does well enough against MK and R.O.B, as well as being G&W's worst matchup and he's pretty good against lucario as well.

on the flip side luigi is good for snakes worst matchup, olimar, and also good against diddy who can be trouble for snake.

so yeah, I think luigi and snake cover each other's matchups well.

AGuyNamedRaf

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I was doing a bit of testing on N-air and D-air. It seems like D-air has more priority than N-air. Is this true, or am I being delusional? Also, is D-air a more practical approach than N-air? Just wondering. K, thanks.

HURRICANE REV

Smash Ace
Hey, I was doing a bit of testing on N-air and D-air. It seems like D-air has more priority than N-air. Is this true, or am I being delusional? Also, is D-air a more practical approach than N-air? Just wondering. K, thanks.
IMO, N-air has more priority than D-air. Reason for this because that N-air can stop many, MANY things. It is one of the best move in the game. The thing about D-air is that it does have priority but not has much as N-air. D-air is for pushing your enemy away. Whereas, N-air is for setting up combos.

Again, I think that N-air is a more practical approach than D-air.

Sorry if I didn't explain it properly.

TreK

Is "that guy"
There is no priority in the air ; only range matters, this is why you don't clank in the air. Dair is better vs grounded opponents because it has more range downwards than nair.
But, this doesn't apply when in a aerial vs projectile situation, where priority actually exists ; and nair is superior here, by far

AGuyNamedRaf

Smash Journeyman
IMO, N-air has more priority than D-air. Reason for this because that N-air can stop many, MANY things. It is one of the best move in the game. The thing about D-air is that it does have priority but not has much as N-air. D-air is for pushing your enemy away. Whereas, N-air is for setting up combos.

Again, I think that N-air is a more practical approach than D-air.

Sorry if I didn't explain it properly.
You explained it well enough. Thanks!

There is no priority in the air ; only range matters, this is why you don't clank in the air. Dair is better vs grounded opponents because it has more range downwards than nair.
But, this doesn't apply when in a aerial vs projectile situation, where priority actually exists ; and nair is superior here, by far
Okay, I thought that air attacks had priority vs other air attacks. Also, I can see where both of you are coming from concerning N-air being superior. Thanks for answering!

WIGI

Smash Champion
there is priority in the air, just no clanking -.-

AGuyNamedRaf

Smash Journeyman
When I was playing around with Zero Suit Samus (lol), I noticed when fighting a few of Luigi's poor matchups that she went even with them (like Meta and Marth). Would one think she would be a good secondary to pick up, or not? Just curious, thanks.

HURRICANE REV

Smash Ace
Does the two Up-Bs count as a different move for the stale move list?
I don't think they are different moves. I think they are both the same move.

When I was playing around with Zero Suit Samus (lol), I noticed when fighting a few of Luigi's poor matchups that she went even with them (like Meta and Marth). Would one think she would be a good secondary to pick up, or not? Just curious, thanks.
Right now, I am planning on second maining Zelda. I like how she plays. However, she has a really hard time dealing with Marth, Snake, Meta knight and Olimar :(.
I haven't really tried zero suit smaus. But I might give her a go.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Can't Martha upB ?
Yeah. It's happened to me before. It sucks.

Also, landing the weak hit on Up-B sucks, because it DOES stale your Fire Jump Punch. I have a video of this happening to me (in Balanced Brawl).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOFi0lK8bTQ

I Up-B that Ganondorf at over 60%, which normally would kill him, except I landed a weak Up-B earlier.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Hello Luigi boards I am a MetaKnight main seeking advice on the Luigi v.s. MetaKnight match-up I don't want the ratios I just want well....advice :laugh:. So what are his damaging moves to use on MK, what does he space with?, What are his top 3 killing moves and do they have any setups?, Are there any other setups that lead to a kill even though it might not be one of his top 3 killing moves to use, How should I expect the Luigi to play me? (I.E. Bait and Punish, Campy, plain out aggressiveness you get the idea.) What moves do you expect MetaKnight to use on you? Is it possible for a GOOD (and I mean good) Luigi user to be gimped by a good MetaKnight? What stages are good for Luigi to fight MetaKnight on (tell me all of them and why please be discrete as possible.) And what stages do you stay away from? (Again please tell all of the stages that you think are threating to you.) What stage should I ban against Luigi? And what playstyle do you thinks works best against Luigi.

If there are more things that I left out that you think you should tell then please let me know.

I have no-experirence in this match-up really all I do is play smart and spacing very well while playing aggressive intelligently.

I know Up-Smash beat torando and Luigi's Upsmash hitbox is mostly on the back of his head are there anymore moves that beat out the tornado that I should be weary of?

That is all I have for now you can post it here or leave me a PM whatever you find neccesary.

Thanks for reading. :)

HURRICANE REV

Smash Ace
Hello Luigi boards I am a MetaKnight main seeking advice on the Luigi v.s. MetaKnight match-up I don't want the ratios I just want well....advice :laugh:. So what are his damaging moves to use on MK, what does he space with?, What are his top 3 killing moves and do they have any setups?, Are there any other setups that lead to a kill even though it might not be one of his top 3 killing moves to use, How should I expect the Luigi to play me? (I.E. Bait and Punish, Campy, plain out aggressiveness you get the idea.) What moves do you expect MetaKnight to use on you? Is it possible for a GOOD (and I mean good) Luigi user to be gimped by a good MetaKnight? What stages are good for Luigi to fight MetaKnight on (tell me all of them and why please be discrete as possible.) And what stages do you stay away from? (Again please tell all of the stages that you think are threating to you.) What stage should I ban against Luigi? And what playstyle do you thinks works best against Luigi.

If there are more things that I left out that you think you should tell then please let me know.

I have no-experirence in this match-up really all I do is play smart and spacing very well while playing aggressive intelligently.

I know Up-Smash beat torando and Luigi's Upsmash hitbox is mostly on the back of his head are there anymore moves that beat out the tornado that I should be weary of?

That is all I have for now you can post it here or leave me a PM whatever you find neccesary.

Thanks for reading. :)
Hey, I think this match up thread will solve your problems.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199357 (Just Look For Meta Knight on the Thread. It is in the 1st post.)

Stages For Luigi Facing Meta Knight: BF, Yoshi's Island and Smashville IMO

I Hope this will help you. :)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I do it all the time against Diddy...it's nothing complicated...just slight timing discrepancies can affect the length,

Top Bottom