• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Q&A Thread

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Okay, so.

I finally got a new Wii. Thank god the previous owner unlocked all the characters already. There are a few stages that aren't unlocked, but that's fine.

What AT's should I be practicing? Now that I'm starting fresh i'm avoiding playing CPU's or playing on Wifi. All my old bad habits have been dropped so I don't want to pick up any new ones, Lawl.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Classic:

SHoDANAUT - Short Hop DAir NAir UTilt, the old and still pretty good damage building combo. The faster they fall, the more uTilts you should do. Then uSmash or uAir to continue the combo if you can.

Hyphen Smash - Dashing uSmash, which is Luigi's replacement for his horrible Dash Attack. Follow up Fireballs with it once in a while.

Lagless Shorthop Double-Aerials - You can basically string together two of the following aerials: fAir, dAir, and uAir, in any order (with the exception of udAir) and have 0 aerial landlag. You can also end any Shorthop Double-Aerial with nAir and have very little aerial landlag. With all those different combinations of double-aerials you can cram damage and still be quick on your feet.

FAir to GM Momentum Canceling - When you get launched by an attack, fAir will help you regain control quicker. Then, if you're being launched sidways, uncharged GM toward the stage to quickly cancel Luigi's horizontal momentum. Combine this with ASDI, SDI, and DI, and you've got yourself a very survivable Luigi.

B-Reverse - Just in case you aren't doing it already. Very handy with the Fireball.

Jab Cancel - Just do it a lot. A lot a lot. Mix the Jab Cancel followups. Jab Grab too.

RAR - Reverse Aerial Rush, all over their faces.

Delayed Recovery - Wait longer than normal to try to get back on stage when knocked off, it throws off the timing of the opponent and allows you to punish them if they chase you. Two ways of doing this...
From the Side: tilt the analog AWAY from the stage, allowing you to avoid Marth's and MK's fAir WoP
From Below: fall farther down before using your Rising Cyclone to get back, which helps make the opponent mistime their Meteor Smash and ups your chances of gimping them if they chase.

New-Age:

FFAD - FastFall AirDodging, one of the most important ATs to know. An aerial attack, then invincibility, then only 1/15th of a second of landlag.

JRC - Jumpless Rising Cyclone, another of one of the most important ATs to know. S*** man, if you are ever doing your regular Rising Cyclone and the opponent hits you away, the only way you're getting back is knowing how to JRC. Turn your finger into a vibrator for the sake of Luigi.

Crawldash - I personally ****ing hate this AT and believe it's just a waste of time/effort, but everyone's doing it and they swear by it.

You can check out the Green Glossary to learn how to do the ATs you don't know about.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
stages, otherwise i wouldnt post this in a luigi thread
Geez man, with comments like that, no wonder people despise you.

Consider stages where Snake can get stuck or where he has little room to spam without getting himself in trouble. I always CP Frigate against Snake for this, plus his mines and claymores disappear when the stage flips.

I also like Japes against him, but I'm not sure why. Perhaps I feel I have a better time moving around his spam there. Or it might be because Snake's KO moves are all just so vertical (but then again, so are Luigi's).

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
FFAD - FastFall AirDodging, one of the most important ATs to know. An aerial attack, then invincibility, then only 1/15th of a second of landlag.

I remember seeing boss do this a ton against Ally in a friendly.

JRC - Jumpless Rising Cyclone, another of one of the most important ATs to know. S*** man, if you are ever doing your regular Rising Cyclone and the opponent hits you away, the only way you're getting back is knowing how to JRC. Turn your finger into a vibrator for the sake of Luigi.

I assume this is just mashing B like a madman to get better height?

Crawldash - I personally ****ing hate this AT and believe it's just a waste of time/effort, but everyone's doing it and they swear by it.

What does crawl dashing do, and how do I do it?

JonnyManya

Smash Apprentice

I remember seeing boss do this a ton against Ally in a friendly.

I assume this is just mashing B like a madman to get better height?

What does crawl dashing do, and how do I do it?
I'm new to Luigi aswell, I'm trying to main him.
As for the button mashing the b for extra height, yes. A thousand times yes.
I agree that crawldashing is "a waste of time / effort" but it's still nice to know how and when to do it I suppose.
In order to perform it, walk (or jog, whatever) and quickly tap the stick to crawl the opposite direction is which you were walking.
If you perform the action quickly enough, you will see a short distance traveled in the form of a dash.
You can smash, jab, whatever you want while "crawldashing".
I also ask, why is it that everyone stresses over this AT?
I must admit I never use it in games.
Should I?

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
dont focus on it big time, it's nothing huge.

practice it enough that you can fluently do it though, if you can use it right, it sets up for at least ONE kill. which could be a game. could be a set. could be the tourny if you live in my region LOL.

but yeah, not amazing AT, but learn it anyways. makes you look really smooth and makes me feel good in the pants.

JonnyManya

Smash Apprentice
dont focus on it big time, it's nothing huge.

practice it enough that you can fluently do it though, if you can use it right, it sets up for at least ONE kill. which could be a game. could be a set. could be the tourny if you live in my region LOL.

but yeah, not amazing AT, but learn it anyways. makes you look really smooth and makes me feel good in the pants.
Feels good in the pants eh?
Hmm, I must master this technique.
Thanks for the help :)

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
If you want to know how to do these ATs, go to the LBI and click the link to "The Green Glossary".

...makes you look really smooth and makes me feel good in the pants.
That's the only reason I learned this ****ty AT.
Opponent: "Why do you keep crawldashing... it's so useless and hard to do."
Me: "Because I can. Can you?"
Opponent: *silently weeps*

Seriously, if you want to show off your tech skill, there's no better way that consistently performing a very difficult and useless technique. It's like installing an elevator into your 2-story house, just to let people know you're super rich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL4DFxJLO5M

TreK

Is "that guy"
Yesterday, I've took 5 stocks thanks to crawl dashing out of maybe 10 matches

It's like 90% of diddy's ATs so I'm used to it -> situational, not worth basing your game on, but worth learning.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I was looking around the Luigi boards and I noticed a bunch of incomplete Match ups discussions and an incomplete stage discussion.

Anyone else think we should try and start over and try and finish them? :confused:
I'd be willing to help of course.

Unless you have some secret stage/character discussions hiding somewhere >__>

JonnyManya

Smash Apprentice
I was looking around the Luigi boards and I noticed a bunch of incomplete Match ups discussions and an incomplete stage discussion.

Anyone else think we should try and start over and try and finish them? :confused:
I'd be willing to help of course.

Unless you have some secret stage/character discussions hiding somewhere >__>
For the love of god, yes.
I'm all for it.

TreK

Is "that guy"
It has been asked twice this week, I guess it's time one of us gets un-lazy
I could do it :V

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
We need a committed Luigi mainer for that. They're hard to find.
I'd be up for it. I have loads of experience with updating threads and I'm here like everyday. So long as we have a good amount of experienced Luigi mains involved in the discussion then it should work out nicely :0
We just need to put in a bit of work.

I can grab the info from those incomplete threads too, but I'd still like to discuss the few characters that have already been done, just in case lol

If anyone remembers me, I'm Samusbrawler.

Used to be in the LBR haha, but I left. So yes, I have experience with Luigi

JonnyManya

Smash Apprentice
Well, I would do it but I'm too new to this guy, but you'll guys will probably see me around here.
I play smash with a group of people who are the top players of my region, so I play against a lot of different characters so any info I can gather I will post it up.
We have to do this though guys, it's one of the key elements when trying to learn a character.
DTP seems to be responsible enough to me, although I don't know if my opinion matters anyway :p

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I think we need one video match of each matchup.
That's a good idea actually :D

And thanks Jonny :)

I think I'm gonna do it, so I hope the rest of you are up for it ;)
I'm thinking about making separate weekly threads for each character and having one thread to compile all of our info in.

We can even start on the first character now :D
We don't have to go in any particular order when it comes to discussing, but we should try and cover Luigi's harder match ups first.

I kinda want to start with Snake so we can get a good discussion going since Snake isn't to tough for us, then we can dive into the 3 characters give Luigi the most trouble (imo)
(MK, Marth, G&W)

Dx

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
It was a good idea... back when I came up with it and posted about it. It's OK though, yoshq, I posted it in the Mansion so it's impossible for you to have stolen it.

Oddly enough, the idea of having separate threads for each character plus another thread that summarizes and links to them all was also my idea. WTFudge is going on? This too was posted in the Mansion, so how the hell are you guys guessing my ideas?

Anyway, I say you go for it DTP (I wanna call you something else) even though you don't have the Luigi icon and I don't remember you from the Backroom. Just as you said it, detailed weekly threads and a summarized master thread, sounds great. Plus, the best video example for each matchup. I would also recommend the guides ignore all-around advice, such as "spacing is key against Marth", since those are just general advice against all characters. We don't need that kind of advice placing our guides into tl:dr territory.

WIGI

Smash Champion
i should finish my 12 days of xmas.. but i deleted all the replays on my wii after i finished my tauntvid. lol

oh well.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
It was a good idea... back when I came up with it and posted about it. It's OK though, yoshq, I posted it in the Mansion so it's impossible for you to have stolen it.

Oddly enough, the idea of having separate threads for each character plus another thread that summarizes and links to them all was also my idea. WTFudge is going on? This too was posted in the Mansion, so how the hell are you guys guessing my ideas?

Anyway, I say you go for it DTP (I wanna call you something else) even though you don't have the Luigi icon and I don't remember you from the Backroom. Just as you said it, detailed weekly threads and a summarized master thread, sounds great. Plus, the best video example for each matchup. I would also recommend the guides ignore all-around advice, such as "spacing is key against Marth", since those are just general advice against all characters. We don't need that kind of advice placing our guides into tl:dr territory.
haha I like the way you think.
You can call me Samusbrawler if you really want to lol
That was my former username. Also, I was in that silly LBR that crewster made awhile ago. I don't think you were on the boards much at that time, from what I heard anyways.

I left because
1. Crewster made it lol
2. I gave up Luigi for a bit so I saw no need to stay
3. Crewster made it lololol
4. Not much was going on back there anyways.

But I'm back now and I want to help contribute a bit to the Luigi boards

I was also thinking that we could do a separate stage discussion for each character too at the same time as the match up discussion, in a different thread of course.

It would be easier to just completely cover a character at once, but at the same time I don't wanna rush you guys, so any suggestions about this?

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
crewster invited everyone into that ****ing backroom. it was the biggest non-luigi main sausage fest.
xD

Actually I think everyone there mained Luigi O__o
There was only about 14 people, but about 3 didn't deserve to be there from what I remember.

There was some decent discussion that took place there, but besides that it was, a terrible Backroom xD

lol crewtser

Smoom77

Smash Master
I looked the Luigi Frame Data topic, but I couldn't find any frame data on airdodges. I only need one thing. How many start-up frames does his airdodge have? I would really appreciate if you could VM me instead of posting here because I'm doing a mass search of airdodge data. I'm sorry if I missed the info.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Dunno about airdodge frame data on Luigi. Perhaps Magus will bust it out.

Anyway, SamB (that's more like it... it reminds me of Samantha Bee from The Daily Show, not samboner), instead of a separate thread on stages for each matchup, how about you list the top 3 stage CPs in the matchup guides themselves. I mean, I feel like they belong together anyway, no? Finding the right CP for each matchup wouldn't take up too much time and space anyway... at least not enough to warrant its own thread, IMHO.

You're right... don't rush us. It's not as if there's a single thread for all matchups and we need to take turns on what we talk about. That's why the awesome "one thread to rule them all" system is so great; we get to keep any discussion about any individual matchup going as long as it needs to, while at the same time discussing other characters in other threads. No need for taking turns or having deadlines on char discussions... That's so old-school.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Dunno about airdodge frame data on Luigi. Perhaps Magus will bust it out.

Anyway, SamB (that's more like it... it reminds me of Samantha Bee from The Daily Show, not samboner), instead of a separate thread on stages for each matchup, how about you list the top 3 stage CPs in the matchup guides themselves. I mean, I feel like they belong together anyway, no? Finding the right CP for each matchup wouldn't take up too much time and space anyway... at least not enough to warrant its own thread, IMHO.

You're right... don't rush us. It's not as if there's a single thread for all matchups and we need to take turns on what we talk about. That's why the awesome "one thread to rule them all" system is so great; we get to keep any discussion about any individual matchup going as long as it needs to, while at the same time discussing other characters in other threads. No need for taking turns or having deadlines on char discussions... That's so old-school.
xD
lmao Samantha

Anyways, yeah that'll work :)
But I also want to have a "What stages in general are best/worst for weegee" section sort of thing. New Luigi mains might find that useful. Also it would be best to cover bans as well in each match up.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
But I also want to have a "What stages in general are best/worst for weegee" section sort of thing. New Luigi mains might find that useful. Also it would be best to cover bans as well in each match up.
Oh, I see what you mean. I thought you had meant separate stage CP threads for each matchup instead of an all-around stage CP guide. I'm down with that.

On a side-note but still on-topic: I don't remember when or where, but I do remember we had some long discussion that ended with the conclusion that Luigi's best stages are his current opponent's worst. In other words, Luigi has no bad stage, and can work well in any. So, since no stage works against him (or the disadvantages are so negligible), that he should just pick a stage that works against his opponent.

But (if so) that would best be discussed in the stage guide you were talking about. *thumbs up*

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Oh, I see what you mean. I thought you had meant separate stage CP threads for each matchup instead of an all-around stage CP guide. I'm down with that.

On a side-note but still on-topic: I don't remember when or where, but I do remember we had some long discussion that ended with the conclusion that Luigi's best stages are his current opponent's worst. In other words, Luigi has no bad stage, and can work well in any. So, since no stage works against him (or the disadvantages are so negligible), that he should just pick a stage that works against his opponent.

But (if so) that would best be discussed in the stage guide you were talking about. *thumbs up*
oh hahaha
Separate threads for just a stage discussion would be ridiculous xD
lol

And that's good to know :)
I plan on going through all of the old Luigi Threads and digging up as much useful info as I can

Hopefully what you're talking about was in a thread and not a social group or something

yoshq

Smash Master
I also think we should have a lot of focus on "which move counters which". such as gw's bair, i think you can shield jump nair it? or shield dsmash - just an example

TreK

Is "that guy"

Luigi's good everywhere, but ban JJ still ._.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
*the index thing is cute but the Q&A at least needs to be stickied IMO

Anyways.......
I wanted to know if any Luigi mains had found this out before since it is very obvious with him.

Hold A> walk> c-stick left/right
You should slide 1/8 of FD while charging and then performing FSmash.

WIGI

Smash Champion
JJ is one of my favorites with Luigi.
yeahhh.. i learned how to satge control there with luigi. and some other fun mindgames.

but you would know this after our last match lol =P

i gotta get my capture device working, i got good stuff to show everyone.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I have one question, my friend use Luigi and he uses Luigi's F-Smash twice, but he strikes quicker than usual, how can you perform that?

Top Bottom