• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
I just started to use bowser, so wat should i learn and how to play him?
first thing, learn that bowser aint great, but he aint bad either. just takes a high learning curve. but he is fun as hell :D.
second thing, learn to UP B OoS

the rest i bet the others can tell you better than me.

Trouble King

Smash Apprentice
I just started to use bowser, so wat should i learn and how to play him?
Lose gracefully.(jk) I'm not a huge Bowser pro but I'm not some no-talent scrub either.

Just don't play aggressively, (especially since you're new with him). Space your attacks carefully and don't use alot of punishable attacks(anything with long ending lag) unless they're a sure hit. Like they said before me, up-b oos. It'll be your best friend in the long run. It's Bowser's safest move if you use it wisely. And...wait just go to JayDeth's Bowser guide, 'More Power'. It'll answer the rest of your question. It's stickied on the Bowser page.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Also learn to Klawhop, it takes about 2 seconds to get the basics down and it's a fantastic technique.

colddegree

Smash Cadet
i learned klawhopping from the start, i was klaw hopping all over a ganon lolol
my fav combo i do against a ganon is a klaw to ffnair to upb its an easy 40-50% O_o

colddegree

Smash Cadet
hmm k, but would grab release be useless? i mean cant he do the exact same thing he he ground releases?

Flayl

Smash Hero
That didn't make much sense. And no grab release isn't useless against Bowser, it's useless against Donkey Kong and Ice Climbers.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I'm pretty sure DK is the only character that gets 20 frames where he can't move when hes grab released. Bowser only gets 20 frames when hes doing the grab if I'm not wrong. Meaning, when he gets grab released, he still has the usual 30 frames. I think thats how it goes. I'll look it up and then come back to you....

Phir3

Smash Apprentice
What are some good grab release strings or combos? I looked in the grab release thread and couldn't find anything. The grab releases that I use are:
GR>Dtilt (for kills)
GR>Both Jabs (damage racking)
GR>Jab>Re Grab>GR>Both Jabs (damage/GR mixup)

lcampoy8

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-8395-9035
What are some good grab release strings or combos? I looked in the grab release thread and couldn't find anything. The grab releases that I use are:
GR>Dtilt (for kills)
GR>Both Jabs (damage racking)
GR>Jab>Re Grab>GR>Both Jabs (damage/GR mixup)
Grab to Ftilt
Grab to Klaw
Grab to jab to Klaw

also i heard that bowser has a infinite grab release. is that true?

EDIT: like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeOvN3LtlKI&feature=related
or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNTfktgrsS8&feature=related

colddegree

Smash Cadet
hmm I cant ever true pivot >:( I tried to learn it for the retreating pivot grab thingy for marth, but i cant seem to pull it off D:

GreenFox

Smash Ace
How effective is bowser in doubles? I'm guessing not very because I cant find a thread for it :(

B!squick

Smash Master
Depends on who you ask, but you're better off with a different character as a partner. One of Bowser's failings is his big ol' hurtbox and having two dudes to worry about instead of just one doesn't help matters.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Yeah, but D3 has the same problem and hes a great doubles partner I just didn't see a thread or have ever seen a bowser in doubles. I'll just assume working on that is a waste of time then :D

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I was visiting family for my thanksgiving break. A lot of my family lives in the Clayton area and in Virginia as well so I went to spend time with them.

Bowser really isn't that great of a choice in doubles. I only use him when I'm either bored, it's Low Tier doubles or if I'm paired with someone like Snake. <.< I usually use D3. I guess Bowser works so long as you're never the "1" in a 2 on 1 situation. If your partner is good at keeping one enemy at bay long enough for you to go to work on the other, or even both enemies, you'd be fine, but that usually never happens for me. D:

Jupz

Smash Master
I'm having some trouble with grab release regrabs, mainly when they ground or pummel release. Any tips or easy ways to do it?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Find out how's your reaction speed. If you can't reliably dash regrab an opponent out of a pummel release (I can't), then just use the most damaging move available to you.

Here's what I do:

For damage

---Standing chaingrab---
Charizard
Ivysaur
Wario

---Wait and follow chaingrab (avoid releasing during a pummel)---
Bowser
Charizard
Diddy Kong
Falco
Ganondorf