• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wings and Brew VI: Name TBA - Columbus, OH - FIRST POST UPDATED WITH NEW RULES!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Schedule with 8 TVS
-Double elimination doubles bracket
-8 pools of 4 with 2 people advancing into a 16 person double elimination singles bracket
11:00AM: Doors open-registration for singles and doubles begins
12:00PM: Registration closes
12:30PM: Doubles bracket - WR1
12:54PM: Doubles bracket - WR2 & LR1
1:18PM: Doubles bracket - LR2 & WR3 (2 tvs available for free play)
1:42PM: Doubles bracket - WF & LR4 (5 tvs available for free play)
2:06PM: Doubles bracket - LR5, WF continue & pools 1 (2 tvs), 2(2 tvs), and 3(1 tv) start
2:30PM: Doubles bracket - LF & pools 1, 2, and 3 continue play
2:54PM: Doubles bracket - GF & pools 1, 2, and 3 finish
3:18PM: Singles pools - pools 4 (2 tvs), 5(2 tvs), 6(2 tvs), 7(1 tv), and 8(1 tv) begin play
3:42PM: Singles pools - pools 4 (2 tvs), 5(2 tvs), 6(2 tvs), 7 (1 tv), and 8 (1 tv) continue
4:06PM: Singles pools - pools 4 (2 tvs), 5(2 tvs), 6(2 tvs) finish - 7 (1 tv) and 8 (1 tv) continue
4:30PM: Singles pools - pools 7 (2 tvs) and 8 (2 tvs) finish -(4 stations available for free play)
5:00PM: Singles bracket - WR1
5:24PM: Singles bracket - WR2 & LR2
5:54PM: Singles bracket - LR2 & WR3 (2 tvs available for free play)
6:18PM: Singles bracket - WF & LR4 (5 tvs available for free play)
6: 42PM: Singles bracket - LR5 and WF continues (7 tvs available for free play)
7:06PM: Singles bracket - LF (7 tvs available for free play)
7:46PM: Singles bracket - GF (7 tvs available for free play)
8:45PM: tear down and pack up, leave two setups, begin ordering food and drinks and settling up draft crews.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Just moving stuff from the OP for historical purposes. The OP is getting a facelist and also the ruleset is getting a much needed update.

Sil: Yes.

Which reminds me, do you guys want a "season II" ? In which case WaB V was the first event.

Also, where do you guys park when you come here? I wanna make a new/better parking map then before cause I don't think anyone parked in the (poor) locations I highlighted.

FIRST POST IS UPDATED WITH NEW (REVOLUTIONARY) RULES!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Beegs: totally doable. can i get some other people to say they are cool with it too though? I make tons of lists and i rarely ever here comments about them or if people even like them. If people find it interesting/useful I will keep doing it but if they don't even pay attention then I can save myself time.

What's The Point

Smash Master
•The method known as 'planking' is banned. In the event this tactic is witnessed it will result in the forfeit of the current game. A judge can be called to enforce and handle this issue.
Why not just a ledge grab limit?

And since you dislike planking you may want to proactively ban Metaknight's (And other less important characters) circle camping on open bottom levels, e.g. gliding under SV.

And if you want all those stages you should add Pictochat.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
1) Pictochat is added. Thanks I had actually forgot to do that
2) No on has planked at my events, but now we got a rule for it just in case (not that it really matters with M2K being banned and no other MK in Ohio caring enough to really **** people with this stuff, but one day I would like Texas people at my tournaments and they could likely do this). As well as a rule for scroogers.

•The method known as 'scrooging' is banned. In the event this tactic is witnessed it will result in the forfeit of the current game. A judge may be called to enforce and handle the issue.

*Scrooging: using Meta Knight to repeatedly glide underneath stages, so as to make him untouchable by the opponent.

Judges
These are local Columbus players who are allowed to make decisions on my behalf and to help run the tournament, which includes updating the bracket, settling rule disputes, and promoting a friendly atmosphere. A Judges decisions may be overruled by me alone. Judges may use spectators as witnesses in order to resolve issues regarding Meta Knights Infinite Cape and planking, along with any other issues that may arise. If you are called as a witness you must speak truthfully, failure to do so will have consequences.

---

No other character can scrooge very well/really at all.

wakka444

Smash Ace
seeing as youve added pictochat everything looks perfect! cant wait for the next one, its the only touney ill make a priority to attend

fonzi21

Smash Ace
Can't wait for the next one. Nice add to the rules btw AZ. Metaknights are just making themselves worse players when they Scrooge. Instead of learning match-ups and getting better they are playing to win with some dumb stuff.

Also AZ another season would be cool with me.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Season 2, always better.

These newer rules you're adding seem to contradict the WaB experience to be honest. They would be better applied to the Delta series.

lou4222

Smash Lord
Whenever we come AZ we park on Norwhich, Northwood, or Patterson. Finding side streets is a pain but the only way to survive on OSUs campus, because it is free parking on weekends.

Framerate

Smash Lord
Who wouldn't want a second season?

Also, jigglypuff can "scrooge" with rising pound :D She's too OP I know, let's ban her!

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Northwood parker here, MK isn't the only character that can stall underneath the stage, etc. Nothing nobody else hasn't already mentioned. Yay PictoChat!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm tempted just to ban MK but I keep thinking of non-scroogers like Capem/Z and I'd hate to take away a character they have worked to develop. However...on a larger scale we can't keep having large Brawl tournaments get ruined/a bad rap cause there are a couple scrooges in the bunch. The rule has to start somewhere and the bottom up is probably more likely then a top down model.

It sucks that some players would have to relearn a character and really that is the only reason I'm against banning MK at this point. Simply put the top MK players cannot be trusted to not be scrooges. It has now happened at almost every really hyped tournament (COT4, Genesis, Winterfest, no new gaming tournament will be able to start a tournament and understand the complicated rules like no scrooging/planking/ledge grab rules/how to enforce them, but if they see simply "MK is banned" they would add it and understand it very easily.

lou4222

Smash Lord
Its a shame what M2K did to Gnes, but as many said he didnt break any rules. Also it isnt fair for Z and Capem, and Kel and OS for the most part who play him correctly. To my knowledge I dont think Kel and OS have completely flown underneath a level or planked to the point of ignorence to win a match. OS came close against champ one time at Smash bootcamp, but nothing like M2K did against Gnes.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'd do it if I needed and wanted to win.

I mained ROB and said "hey guys, MK is pretty beastly and takes out a ton of characters" and suggested removing him, everyone said "no, learn a new character", so I learned MK. Now it's their turn. THEY can deal with MK's dominance. Gliding under the stage is no different than ****** ROB with a series or tornados. Some characters can stop it, some can't.

I'm tempted just to ban MK but I keep thinking of non-scroogers like Capem/Z and I'd hate to take away a character they have worked to develop. However...on a larger scale we can't keep having large Brawl tournaments get ruined/a bad rap cause there are a couple scrooges in the bunch. The rule has to start somewhere and the bottom up is probably more likely then a top down model.

It sucks that some players would have to relearn a character and really that is the only reason I'm against banning MK at this point. Simply put the top MK players cannot be trusted to not be scrooges. It has now happened at almost every really hyped tournament (COT4, Genesis, Winterfest, no new gaming tournament will be able to start a tournament and understand the complicated rules like no scrooging/planking/ledge grab rules/how to enforce them, but if they see simply "MK is banned" they would add it and understand it very easily.
Can I ask, why did this come up? Is this because of the new rules changing? I know no one has talked about "banning MK" in a conversation come up. I'm just curious. That is all.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I'd do it if I needed and wanted to win.

I mained ROB and said "hey guys, MK is pretty beastly and takes out a ton of characters" and suggested removing him, everyone said "no, learn a new character", so I learned MK. Now it's their turn. THEY can deal with MK's dominance. Gliding under the stage is no different than ****** ROB with a series or tornados. Some characters can stop it, some can't.
Y'know...I can't really disagree with this "tables have turned" mentality since it's the way I generally view things. I've read through countless "just deal with MK" posts during the whole debate, as well as in all four community vote topics for it, and finally decided to just deal with it and learn to fight the matchup and any gimmicks that would develop post-planking.

I agree on one thing: people (anti-ban ESPECIALLY) fought to keep MK in competitive play. Planking has been subdued for the most part. Why is it necessary to immediately go after this gimmick? Because M2K shut Meep and Gnes down with it? Um...last I checked M2K has been shutting players down the ol' fashioned way for a long time pre-gayplay. Shouldn't we wait to see if this tactic becomes commonplace and actually wins tournaments? Too many quickly-established limits going around imo.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm just thinking outloud. Chances are very very low I'd actually ban MK. I'd just stick with the no scrooging/no planking rules because it effectively handles the only real issue with MK imo. I'm just tossing ideas around to see what people think.

Also I know what M2K did, he did it to me a couple times but not excessively (watch the matches on SV). You basically dair camp the platform on sv until it begins to move across the stage, then if you are by the MK then MK will scrooge and if you are away from MK he will just plank.

I think having no planking/no scrooging rules effectively ends all the loopholes but who knows.

fonzi21

Smash Ace
Infern - You don't want to watch the matches it's like watching Wall paper dry.

Y.b.M. - I agree planking/scrooging should be put into our circuits, because Kel told everyone on livestream he planked you at Clowsui's, and OS did it for most of game 1 against you. They will eventually fall behind though because playing like that they won't learn match-ups or get better so that is their decision.

Jigglypuff, and R.O.B can fly under the map, but you really don't hear of it because they know it isn't necessarily a viable option for them. They don't have 2 frame Uair's and shuttle loops and a couple other attacks to completely shut down all options to stopping them. Is it possible for them to still do this? I have no idea because I have never seen someone do it effectively. Mew2king just proved that Metaknight can effectively do it against high level players. It didn't work just cause it is Mew2king because players can beat him. People have contested with him, and he isn't invincible.

'Kicks'

Smash Cadet
**** i was just getting really good at planking too. lol

also i live very close to the venue and may be able to provide free parking for some people. I would not be able to know until like a week in advance that way i can check it all over with my roomates.

Framerate

Smash Lord
Theoretically, jigglypuff can rising pound underneath the stage once she has the lead, and then just go to the ledge farthest from her opponent. I'd imagine it's more efficient with the puff for the simple fact that she can turn around and still recover. I can go halfway underneath and watch my opponent's reaction: if they run to the other ledge I can just turn around, if they don't move I keep going.

Ah, this is all theory anyways. I could try it out next time if you want :D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Y.b.M. - I agree planking/scrooging should be put into our circuits, because Kel told everyone on livestream he planked you at Clowsui's, and OS did it for most of game 1 against you. They will eventually fall behind though because playing like that they won't learn match-ups or get better so that is their decision.
Running to the ledge while he's invincible and waiting for the ghost is planking? =P

That stuff shouldn't work anyway. I danced around Y.b.M. He was not playing at his best at all, just an off day for him. Whenever the vids get up (who recorded them?) I can watch again to see how much I used the ledge.... but it's Yoshi's Island. Come on XD

As for getting better..... meh. Other than AZ and more recently Blue Rogue, no one else outside of Cincinnati has ever been a consistent threat. People gotta catch up before I can fall behind! ;D

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Meh. I did the Melee thing. Now I'm doing the Brawl thing. And in 4 years I will likely be doing the SSB4 thing.

Thanks for the info on parking the new map will actually highlight good places to park instead of stupid ones. LOL.

fonzi21

Smash Ace
As for getting better..... meh. other than AZ and more recently Blue Rogue, no one else outside of Cincinnati has ever been a consistent threat. People gotta catch up before I can fall behind! ;D
Why wait for others to catch up? when you can just Learn more, and constantly improve instead. But who knows maybe you are learning stuff with your tactics. Although some games I am not sure how =(.

And as far as threats you lost to Wakka this weekend.

Flawless Fan

Smash Hero
That stuff shouldn't work anyway. I danced around Y.b.M. He was not playing at his best at all, just an off day for him. Whenever the vids get up (who recorded them?) I can watch again to see how much I used the ledge.... but it's Yoshi's Island. Come on XD
Weren't you guys recording the tourney with ustream? I THINK I can clip the recordings into not-three-hour-long videos and get them on youtube, I'll have to check.

And as far as threats you lost to Wakka this weekend.
That Frigate(?) match was awesome. So glad that was recorded.

Hi, I might try coming to this, depends on the date and if I want to drive an hour and a half to this.

Top Bottom